Grizzy and the Mystery Guess-The-Quest Game

Grizzy

I should find a variety of surfaces that progress slowly toward floor level and work my way there, rather than bend arms, fall on face.

Hahaha! That's what my attempts look like. I experimented around until I found my challenge level. Negative pushups is too discouraging. Plus, how muchh can one improve at one rep max?

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Tuesday Update:

Started the morning with a 1 mile run, completed in 12 minutes, 30 seconds. Have I been getting worse at this...?

Food:

-4 bottles of water

Breakfast:

-1 slice of homemade bread (153 calories)

Lunch:

-Homemade black beans & green bell pepper (520)

Dinner:

-1 .5 lb burger (240 calories)

-1 brioche bun (272 calories)

-1 slice of cheese (86 calories)

-1/2 milkshake (180 calories)

Total:1451 calories.

I succeeded on quests #1 and #2.

I also joined a local YMCA yesterday, and the boyfriend is occupied with a hobby thing this evening, so I'll be going and doing a barbell workout for the first time in a long time. I'm excited, but worried I'll be disappointed by how much strength I've lost.

Weight is also headed in the right direction again. Almost back down into the high 180's. Still, the jump in weight is frustrating.

So far this week, I'm very much on track to succeed on my life quest and my quest #3!

Yay, you're doing great this week! How did you prepare the black beans and pepper? I'm looking for some good protein-y lunch options to mix things up a bit, and that sounds like it has potential!

Is your life quest about eating out under a certain number of times?

I don't know how frequently you weigh yourself, but if it's most days (or even every few days), maybe you could try tracking with a moving average. I'm weighing myself most mornings right now, for various reasons, and I keep track on a spreadsheet that averages 7 days at a time in the next column, which smooths out the spikes and dips quite a bit.

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

Yay, you're doing great this week! How did you prepare the black beans and pepper? I'm looking for some good protein-y lunch options to mix things up a bit, and that sounds like it has potential!

Is your life quest about eating out under a certain number of times?

I don't know how frequently you weigh yourself, but if it's most days (or even every few days), maybe you could try tracking with a moving average. I'm weighing myself most mornings right now, for various reasons, and I keep track on a spreadsheet that averages 7 days at a time in the next column, which smooths out the spikes and dips quite a bit.

It's actually just the recipe on the back of the can of GOYA black beans. It's basically:

-1 chopped onion,

-1 chopped bell pepper (or banana peppers, or red bell pepper, or whatever you like)

-a few cloves of minced garlic (I buy mine pre-minced in a jar. SO much easier!)

-a can of beans (the smallish ones, I think they are like 12 or 16 oz)

-a tablespoon of white wine

-3/4 of a cup of water

-a teaspoon of oregano

-two teaspoons of "sazon". I think that the regular recipe calls for one, but I like mine EXTRA FLAVORY.

Sazon (recipe for a small batch, which will last you a good number of recipes; it's too much of a pain to make just enough for one recipe):

-1 tablespoon ground coriander

-1 tablespoon ground cumin

-1 tablespoon ground annatto seeds (achiote) or turmeric (I don't use this, it turned out fine)

-1 tablespoon garlic powder

-1 tablespoon kosher salt

-2 teaspoons oregano (yep, in addition to the other oregano in the recipe)

-1 tsp ground black pepper

You saute down the veggies is a tbsp of olive oil and then throw the rest in with it, then just let it simmer on medium-high while stirring until it turns from watery to thick and sticky. The sazon also goes well on pretty much anything you want to make vaguely mexican-y.

And yes, my life quest is indeed about eating out a certain number of times! You are so good at this game!  :redface:

I also do weigh myself daily. I'm well aware that there are going to be fluctuations, but I find it interesting to watch those fluctuations and try and figure out when they happen in why. TMI ALERT: my guess for the current upward spike is constipation.  :nevreness:

Lifting again is like reuniting with an old friend. I missed it so much...

Squats:

45x5

55x5

65x5

75x5x2

85x5

Deadlifts:

95x5

Overhead Press:

45x5x3

Push-Ups:

1 nearly full pushup

3 sets of 8 knee push-ups

Rows:

8 with bar at eye level

8 with bar at neck level

8 with bar at upper chest level

L-sit:

3 sets of 10 sec w/ feet on ground

Plus various handstand practice, bodyline work. Dangit, I forgot to do support practice. Oops.

Food today:

4 bottles of water

Breakfast:

-176 g grapes (118 calories)

Lunch:

-Spaghetti squash with homemade meat sauce and a bell pepper (256 calories)

Dinner:

-1 chipotle burrito bowl with barbacoa, white rice, black beans, hot salsa, cheese, sour cream, lettuce, and guacamole (should be 930 calories with full amount of salsa/guac but I got it on the side and didn't use much, so this is probably a little high)

Total: 1,304 calories.

Quests #1 and #2 success!

I also got mini hoops today, so I'mma go play with those now...

Yes, it's ridiculously close to work, bigger, better equipment, and less crowded. Plus it has an indoor track, and I realized this morning that my 6:30 am runs were getting a bit too dark for my liking.

Even better! So happy for you; I know you've missed it.

Life before Death

Strength before Weakness

Journey before Destination

Update for whatever day it is now... what day is it? Um... THURSDAY! yes, Thursday sounds correct.

Mixed it up a little with my mile run, and did sprint intervals. .1 mile sprinting, .1 mile walking alternating. I'm pretty sure my sprinting speed is less fast than my boyfriend's full mile speed. So speedwork! I might continue this and halve the walking intervals next time.

Foodz:

4 bottles of water! Usually I finish these up at work, but I was lagging behind a little today because I had two diet sodas because I was so tired, and didn't drink the second two until after I got home. I think lifting tires me out a lot, and I need to sleep a little more while I'm doing it.

Breakfast:

-1.8 oz homemade bread (138 calories)

Lunch:

-homemade spaghetti squash & red meat sauce w/2 green bell peppers (303 calories)

Second Lunch (because I'm a hobbit now, and was hungry):

-A small turkey bacon sub (takeout) (390 calories)

-6 french fries (same takeout) (80 calories)

Dinner:

-1 turkey, ham and salami sub from a deli (710 calories)

-5 oz soda (76 calories)

Total: 1697 calories.

Success on goal #1 and goal #2!

I am going to go try to sleep for many lots of hours now. kthxbye

• Like 1

Friday recap!

Exercise:

Squats
45x5x2
55x5
65x5
75x5
85x5x3
Bench
45x5
55x5
65x5
75x5x3
Deadlift
45x5x2
60x5
75x5
90x5
105x5
Incline rows
8x2 at chest level
6x1 at chest level
Support practice, 2 10 sec intervals.

Only 1 10 second interval of l-sits and no handstand practice, because ow my wrist.

Food:

-4 bottles of water.

Breakfast:

-1.8 oz homemade bread (138 calories)

Lunch:

-3 spicy sushi rolls (restaraunt) (684 calories)

Dinner:

-4 oz burger (240 calories)

-1 slice cheese (86 calories)

-1 homemade brioche bun (272 calories)

-200 ml milkshake (180 calories)

Total: 1600 calories

EDIT/ADDITION: 180 cal latte. At 1780 calories. Needed it; worth it.

succeeded in goal #1 and #2 today. I felt really good about my lifting today. I am tired and want to sleep again.

Saturday Recap:

Went for two walks on Saturday. I got up in the morning and felt like I should do something, so I went for a short, mile-long walk. Then later my boyfriend wanted to walk to the bank, so I thought what the heck, I'll go too. I also have been sneaking in a little hooping practice here and there, mostly with my minis. I'm working on this move called the buzzsaw where you spin both hoop toward your chest with your arms extended in front of you, but I think I may have gotten minis that are a smidge too big because it's really hard (but not impossible) to do without whacking myself in the face or boob. I think this is the only instance in my life ever where I said "this would be a lot better if my boobs were smaller."

Foodz:

-The equivalent of 4 bottles of water (left my water bottle at work)

Breakfast:

-1 slice homemade bread (138 calories)

-2 slices bacon (80 calories)

Dinner:

-3 slices takeout pepperoni pizza (990 calories)

-3 homemade buffalo wings (150 calories)

-1 glass mountain dew code red (170 calories)

Total:1,528 calories

Success on quest #1 and #2.

Sunday Recap:

The boyfriend and I went on a 1 mile run together today. Turns out I can do a mile in 10:30 if there is not a giant hill for the second half of it. After the run we went for a long walk around a nice part of the neighborhood for 3 miles.

I'm feeling really lazy about writing out all the foods I had itemized. I ate pretty good, had a homemade coffee drink and a large pasta smothered in meat sauce dinner, had a glass of milk, and wound up at 1,314 calories. The day isn't totally over yet, but I've got 300 calories of wiggle room before the end of the day, I want to do my update now while I have time, and I'm pretty confident about making it. I can have some bacon if I get hungry.

Got my 4 bottles of water.

Week recap:

I missed one day on quest #1, and not by a whole lot. I did very well! ^_^

7/7!

Goal #3 was done perfectly, and then some.

Life goal was better than the week prior, but still not great and not quite satisfactory. I really need to work on this more, because it's hell on my wallet and makes my calorie goals more difficult.

Monday Update:

I did the following workout in the afternoon:

Squats

45x5x2

55x5

70x5

80x5

95x5x3

Overhead press

50x5x3

Deadlift

45x5x2

65x5

80x5

100x5

115x5

I got through it, but my form just felt a little off on everything the whole time. I felt my form breaking a little on squats, and I was going up really slowly, so I think I'm going to increase by only 5 pounds instead of 10 next session. Everything else felt weird, but generally okay.

Food yesterday was kind of a carbstorm.

Got my 4 bottles of water in.

Breakfast:

-1 Dr. Pepper

-1 Tim Horton's bagel BELT

Lunch:

-1 Tim Horton's bagel w cream cheese

-3 timbits. I seriously need to just disallow Tim Hortons to any degree in my diet.

Dinner:

-Half a serving of chicken parmesan

-Half a serving of pasta with red sauce.

For a total of 2000 calories.

That's obviously over my goal, but fortunately is not over maintenance (I don't think? The 2 bajillion different TDEE calculators out there all say different things). I know I could have very easily hit my calorie goal. I think nixing the timbits and the soda would have done it. But at the same time, this food just had overall low nutritional value and a macro balance that's way off what I probably want to be getting. Next challenge I may work on both food quantity and quality together.

I also really haven't been sleeping well lately, which generally leads me to be less able to say no to food.

Anyway, point being, failure on quest #1, success on quest #2.

Whether it's over maintenance or not, it's just one day and you've been doing great overall on hitting your calorie goal! I think it's great idea to add some macro tracking next time around--I'm biased because that's what I did, but I'm pleased with how it's been going with tracking calories and protein. 

Level 4 Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 6 | CON 8 | WIS 10 | CHA 5

current challenge

third challenge | second challenge | first challenge

Whether it's over maintenance or not, it's just one day and you've been doing great overall on hitting your calorie goal! I think it's great idea to add some macro tracking next time around--I'm biased because that's what I did, but I'm pleased with how it's been going with tracking calories and protein. 

Yes, I think I'm definitely going to do protein tracking. Possibly some degree of vegetable-eating goal as well. I have been perusing various macro recommendations and it seems that generally on a day to day basis, as long as my day doesn't look like I was carbo-loading, I tend to get enough fat, so protein needs to be the focus.

I also have already written out my quests for next challenge. Is that bad? I just get so excited. :D I need to start thinking about what my next main quest is going to be (but not so much that I get sidetracked from the current one)... at the current rate, I may be at my first weight-loss goal by the end of the year.

Tuesday Update:

Not a very significant workout today. I did a small amount of hooping, but didn't really set the time aside to do anything else. I continue to have difficulty sleeping, which is annoying. 

Food was right on target today. I hit 1700 calories exactly. I still had a couple bad things, like a piece of cake and a soda at work. I still haven't found a trick to keep myself off the soda.

Too tired for much more of a substantial update than that today. :(

Wednesday update:

I did really well yesterday not only getting a proper quantity of food, but also good quality. Homemade breakfast peppers, chicken parmesan, corn, peas, and no soda. I got 1681 calories total with 118g of protein. Yay! Also drank plenty of water.

Workout was as follows:

Squats
45x5x2
60x5
75x5
90x5
100x3
Bench
45x5x2
55x5
65x5
75x5x3
Dl
45x5x2
65x5
85x5
105x5
125x5

So I failed to increase my bench weight and I didn't get in even 1 set of 5 on my squats. But I also have never squatted that much weight before, so it's still a PR. The bench just felt so heavy on what was supposed to be a warm up at 75 pounds, and I just thought "there's no way I'll be able to bench more than this for three sets of 5."

I may be progressing slower than usual due to being really cautious. I don't want to get injured and be out of the game.

Success on quests 1 and 2.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines