Oramac and the Tough Mudder!

Oramac

scotland-bald_2277840k.jpg

(not me, obviously)

All right!  My last Challenge sucked, but I learned quite a lot, mainly about planning.  So, I'm trying to plan this challenge out a bit better.   The Tough Mudder is on October 11th, and I have a business conference the weekend before it, plus fall is my super-bad allergy season.  So we're going to take it easy for the most part during this challenge.  I'm definitely still going to train, but I want to make sure I'm 100% for the Mudder.  

Fitness:

1. Mobility -- Pretty simple here.  I want to do Cheechoe's awesome mobility routine at least 3 times per week.  6x3 = 18 total.  So, 18+ is an A; 15-17 is a B; 12-14 is a C; any less is an F.

2. Gym -- I still want to lift, as I've noticed I feel better when I do.  The goal is still twice a week minimum, though as per usual I'm aiming for 3x per week.  I'm not going to outline a specific per-day workout this time though.  Simply going to go in and do what my body tells me to do.  

Also, I'm looking at the possibility of joining a new gym.  I really do like the one I'm at, but since I moved it's considerably further away than it was.  There's another MMA gym about 10-15 minutes from me that also offers Krav Maga, which is what I really want to take.  I haven't had a chance to visit them yet, so we'll see what happens.  

3. Running -- I sucked horribly at this during the last challenge, and it won't be any easier this time around with allergy season upon me.  But I know I need this for the Mudder.  I'm aiming for at least 4 good runs during the Challenge, all before the Mudder.  Once I finish it, I'm not sure I'll continue running.  Again, we'll see what happens.  

4. Cold Showers!  I know this isn't exactly fitness related, but it is training for the Mudder.  One of the obstacles is called the Arctic Enema (video).  Imagine a huge shipping container FILLED with ice water that you have to swim through.  Oh, and did I mention they put a partially submerged board halfway through to force you to fully go under water?  About the only way to train for it is taking cold showers.  So the goal here is to ramp it up from hot to cold, and be taking showers with the hot water completely OFF by the Monday before the Mudder (October 6th).  

Financial:

1.  Same as last time.  Checking my finances daily has been a huge step forward for me.  Probably not this challenge, but in the near-ish future one of my goals is going to be better planning for each dollar.  (I currently have a plan, but it can always improve). 

So, here goes!!  Let's Leroy this!!!  (bonus points if you get that reference)

• Like 4

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Those goals look really solidly planned out -- aiming at the Big Idea and giving yourself flexibility.  Krav Maga was the very first martial art I learned.  LOVED IT.  And I can't wait to hear your stories about the Tough Mudder...my husband would love for us to do one of those events, but I feel like I need to get more comfortable covering a 5K distance at a run before I'll be confident in participating safely.  I think Steve mentioned that cold showers can help with sleep, if you shock the body like that just before bedtime.  Might be a way to kill two birds with one stone?  Good luck!

• Like 2

Those goals look really solidly planned out -- aiming at the Big Idea and giving yourself flexibility.  Krav Maga was the very first martial art I learned.  LOVED IT.  And I can't wait to hear your stories about the Tough Mudder...my husband would love for us to do one of those events, but I feel like I need to get more comfortable covering a 5K distance at a run before I'll be confident in participating safely.  I think Steve mentioned that cold showers can help with sleep, if you shock the body like that just before bedtime.  Might be a way to kill two birds with one stone?  Good luck!

Thanks!  Honestly, you're probably good to go for the Mudder, as long as you can do some of the basic body weight exercises pretty well.  It's long, but you don't have to run the whole thing if you don't want to.  I can pretty much guarantee my group won't be running the whole thing.  

That idea about cold showers sounds absolutely brutal.  But I have been having sleep issues lately, mainly due to allergies, so at this point I'll try almost anything.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

That's encouraging to hear!  Mostly, I just know that I'm a 45yo slightly overweight person, and I want to feel really ready to participate at a satisfying level, with a reasonable expectation of not inviting injury.  When I was doing the Breast Cancer 3-Day, there were two training programs:  one for "participate safely" and one for "finish comfortably."  It's that more ambitious training and preparation that I tend to lean toward.  I've promised my husband that he can look for one in 2015 and put money on it.  :)

• Like 1

That's encouraging to hear!  Mostly, I just know that I'm a 45yo slightly overweight person, and I want to feel really ready to participate at a satisfying level, with a reasonable expectation of not inviting injury.  When I was doing the Breast Cancer 3-Day, there were two training programs:  one for "participate safely" and one for "finish comfortably."  It's that more ambitious training and preparation that I tend to lean toward.  I've promised my husband that he can look for one in 2015 and put money on it.  :)

Awesome!  No need to look.  The 2015 Missouri Tough Mudder is already scheduled: https://toughmudder.com/events/2015-missouri   

I hear ya on the training though.  I lean towards the "finish comfortably" side too.  And besides that, it's just nice to have something to train for too.  

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

For the financial thing, have you looked into mint.com? I'm so much more accountable now T_T (it's a good thing...really. I'm just very aware of my student loan debt)

Well, it's good as long as you don't get sketched out by the linking your accounts together. 

Wandering Monk

Starting Weight: 238 Current Weight: 189.2 Goal Weight: 150

PRs

Mile: 12:49 (11/1/14) 5K: 44:07 (3/13/16)

For the financial thing, have you looked into mint.com? I'm so much more accountable now T_T (it's a good thing...really. I'm just very aware of my student loan debt)

Well, it's good as long as you don't get sketched out by the linking your accounts together. 

Yea, I'm not a big fan of that.  I like the concept, just not the idea of sharing my account info.  

Leeroy_39954b_1853493.jpg

Somebody got it!!  Kishi gets 378 internet points!!!  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

One of the obstacles is called the Arctic Enema (
).  Imagine a huge shipping container FILLED with ice water that you have to swim through. 

this sounds like hell. but hey, whatever keeps you motivated :D challenge looks well solid to me, keen to see how you do!

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

YNAB is another option, though it's paid software.  I too mistrust sharing my banking info.  Not a bloody chance.

That doesn't look so bad.  Kinda sucks that it's paid, but it's also a lifetime payment, so it's not so bad.  

Helpful, you are.

I do what I can.  :D  Plus, we're probably going to be getting a group together for it anyway.  The more people, the better!  (if y'all want to)

this sounds like hell. but hey, whatever keeps you motivated :D challenge looks well solid to me, keen to see how you do!

Thanks!  It sounds like hell to me too, but damned if I'm going to puss out and skip it.  

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

You're doing Tough Mudder? I salute you, Oh brave and relatively insane warrior.

Tough Mudder is something I've wanted to do for a long time. But running through live electric wires? Seriously?!

Gotta have some real major cojones for that type of thing.

Either way, best of luck with it! 

As for cold showers, don't worry about them. I have way more cold showers than warm nowadays. It hits you hard at first, but once you're nice and cold  it becomes pretty refreshing! I've heard that cold showers are supposed to be healthy, too.

• Like 1

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

You're doing Tough Mudder? I salute you, Oh brave and relatively insane warrior.

Tough Mudder is something I've wanted to do for a long time. But running through live electric wires? Seriously?!

Gotta have some real major cojones for that type of thing.

Either way, best of luck with it! 

As for cold showers, don't worry about them. I have way more cold showers than warm nowadays. It hits you hard at first, but once you're nice and cold  it becomes pretty refreshing! I've heard that cold showers are supposed to be healthy, too.

Yup!

• Enhance your circulation.
  • Activate brown adipose tissue to burn white adipose
  • Increases testosterone in the body
  • Wakes you up/puts you to sleep.

All right!  So yesterday was Day 1, and it went fairly well.  Took a lukewarm shower in the morning, and found that outside of the initial shock it actually isn't bad.  I also found that my shower is absolutely terrible at modulating temperature.  Oh well. 

I got into the gym for a workout and did the Big 4 exercises.  

Bench: 5@45; 5@90; 3@135; 3@135; 2@135.  Had to have a little help on the last 2, which kinda pissed me off.  I've been doing a full bar-to-chest bench press now (discovered I was doing it wrong before), and they're harder, but certainly work me more thoroughly.  

Squat: 5@Bodyweight; 5x5 @ 45.  I don't want to put any more weight on my knee until after the Mudder.  I feel confident I could pretty easily match my bench here, but it's not worth the risk at the moment.  

OHP: 5@45; 4@85; 1@85.  Little disappointed I only got 1 rep on the last set, and only 4 on the middle set.  But it just wasn't happening.  

Deadlift!  Lots of these:  5@45; 5@90; 5@110; 5@135; 5@155; 5@175; 5@185; 5@205; 3@215.  The best part here is, I realized I've been counting the bar as only 35 pounds instead of 45 pounds all this time.  Yay for lifting more than I thought!  The odd thing is, I was counting the bar correctly on all my other exercises.  Just not on deadlift.  Weird.  

Also, I got to talking to one of the trainers there (let's call her Katie), and asked her about this funky exercise she was doing.  Turns out it's a variation of a deadlift, but you use a square rack thing that you stand inside and lift with your hand to your sides instead of having a bar in front of you.  She said I ought to look into it.  Anyone here know what I'm talking about, or what it's officially called?  I'd like to take a look at it.  

Overall, a pretty good day.  

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Sounds like a trap bar deadlift? Solid for people who have posture issues (or lumbar issues in general) i think? Def a stronger position for the lift in general tho.

So many deadlifts in that workout! Do they put any strain on your knee? Off to a smashing start but look after yourself yo!

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Sounds like a trap bar deadlift? Solid for people who have posture issues (or lumbar issues in general) i think? Def a stronger position for the lift in general tho.

So many deadlifts in that workout! Do they put any strain on your knee? Off to a smashing start but look after yourself yo!

Trap-bar deadlift or hex-bar deadlift. Basically a way to get into better postural position for the lift without risking your lumbar spine as much. Definitely worth it.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines