Want to know how to make an Assassin angry? Go join the Rangers.

This post is my first post in the Ranger guild space. I'm experiementing with a challenge over here rather than the Assassin's guild because while the best sport kettlebell lifter on these boards is over there, it always seemed like an odd place for kettlebells, which always seemed like a Ranger tool to me.

Since I'm new here, I'll assume you know nothing about me so here are some highlights:

• I live in Minneapolis, MN USA
  • I'm 35
  • I'm almost done with the 2014 portion of a garage remodel, this winter it will be interesting to see how late into the Minnesota Winter I can continue to train out there.
  • I'm about a year and half into training specifically for kettlebell sport. This spring I did my first, and so far only, meet and the results were better than expected. I'm trying to train to clean and jerk two 28 kg kettlebells 60 - 65 times in ten minutes for next year.
  • I'm looking to lose enough weight to drop into the 85 kg weightclass and I just started working on that weightloss this week
  • I have a background that involves bodybuilding in high school and college (like everyone else), powerlifting in college, competitive strongman after college, a severe disc rupture and lots of GPP training and other minor injuries.
  • When not doing the chores of the day or training, I like to play boardgames, a lot. 

Plan for this Challenge

• Week 0 Sept 8 - 14 - heavy training cycle (28 kg or 32 kg sets), still working out the details
  • Week 1 Sept 15 - 21 - heavy training cycle (28 kg or 32 kg sets)
  • Week 2 Sept 22 - 28 - heavy training cycle (28 kg or 32 kg sets)
  • Week 3 Sept 29 - Oct 5 - heavy training cycle (28 kg or 32 kg sets)
  • Week 4 Oct 6 - 12 - back off week, 28 kg test set
  • Week 5 Oct 13 - 19 - transition week 
  • Week 6 Oct 20 - 26 - conditioning training, high RPM work

Plan for this week

• Monday: off
  • Tuesday: Training with Tonu (other kettlebell lifter in town)
  • Wednesday: 28 kg long cycle 1 on/1 off
  • Thursday: jog
  • Friday: 28 kg long cycle 20 reps sets X 8
  • Saturday: 28 kg long cycle 1 on/ 1 off
  • Sunday: jog

And now a little music to get things rollin'

A classic '80s song

A '90s song that references the previous song

weight-lifting-fail.gif

• Like 4

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

09/08/2014

Bodyweight: 202.5

Training: Off

Notes:

Monday is pretty much always my off day. I have a regular meetup with a friend to play boardgames instead. It was a good way to get me one night of gaming per week as well as to force myself into a night off, because my natural tendency is to try and make myself train everyday. This particular day we went to a local restaurant and played Tsuro and Power Grid Factory Manager. We had a guy wander by as we were play Power Grid and ask about it, we gave him a brief explanation and went on with our game. This restaurant is the kind of place people go with their families for a leisurely dining experience so I didn't want to detain him from his party.

Later I threw away a few of our things from dinner and saw that the same guy was sitting by himself. I invited him to come join us as we wrapped up the game. We chatted and explained the game in greater detail as we played the last couple rounds. As we finished the breeze was coming up and it was getting dark so we invited him back to our house. He decided to come join us. Once there we played Pandemic with him.We found out that he was from Ames, IA and visiting his brother. His brother had other obligations that night so he had decided to try and entertain himself. That was how he ended up playing boardgames with a couple random strangers. I hope he felt like he at least had an entertaining story to tell when he got home.

09/09/2014

Bodyweight: 203.9

Training:

Back Squat: I think it was 175 lbs 3 X 10
Jump squat: I think it was 85lbs 2 X 100

Long Cycle 1:00 of/ 1:00 off

24 kg 12 RPM X 3
28 kg 8 RPM X 3

Long cycle 32 kg 5, 10, 10

Notes:

Training today was with Tonu, I followed his program with only slight modifications. I didn't record anything so I'm documenting from memory. It is very possible that there are errors in my documentation.

09/10/2014

Bodyweight: UNK

Workout

Long Cycle 28 kg 1:00 on/1:00 off

1. 6
  2. 6
  3. 7
  4. 7
  5. 7
  6. 7
  7. 7
  8. 7
  9. 7
  10. 7
  11. 6
  12. 6

Snatch 16 kg 2:30/hand switch for a total of 10:00 128 reps

Superset

Overhead Lunge 16 kg X 2 5/5

Renegade row 28 kg 5/5

5 rounds

Notes:

A pretty solid workout. Still ironing out the plan for the coming weeks.

• Like 2

Battle Log

There is so much about your Monday board game experience that I find great.  Well done, sir.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

Welcome to the Rangers! I'm looking forward to much kettlebell awesomeness here after what I have observed lurking on the Kettlebell Addicts Support Group thread.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Kettlebells are the ultimate Ranger tool, I can't believe someone let the Assassins take them.

I am moving the bells off the patio and into the basement. It is a sad day.

Hah. Great GIF. That's how I've been feeling lately.

I admire your ability to talk to strangers also the amount of iron you throw around. I'm looking forward to following along.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

There is so much about your Monday board game experience that I find great.  Well done, sir.  

I confess to thinking of you stories of helping random strangers and drawing inspiration from them. I'm still not to your level but I'm working on it.

Welcome to the Rangers! I'm looking forward to much kettlebell awesomeness here after what I have observed lurking on the Kettlebell Addicts Support Group thread.

Why thank you. I suspect that you'll find said awesomeness to be quite boring, difficult but boring. Feedback and commentary will always be welcomed here and in the Support Group.

Kettlebells are the ultimate Ranger tool, I can't believe someone let the Assassins take them.

I am moving the bells off the patio and into the basement. It is a sad day.

Yeah, I think it was because KB girl was over there and no one can really speak with the authority she has. I figure the guilds are a loose guideline rather than a strict rule.

I hate the day I have to move everything inside and not for the amount of work it is. I also hate those days in early spring when I move everything outside only to realize I'm premature and I still have a month of inside training left.

09/11/2014

bodyweight: 202.0

Training: none

Notes:

• Laura asked if I wanted to go to the mall and get some new jeans tonight, I took that over the run. I really need some new jeans. Eddie Bauer had a 25% off sale so I bought some of theirs. I have very thick thighs and hips. When I was fatter I filled out a pair of 42 X 30 or 44 X 30 just fine. Now that I'm shopping for 32 x 30, it's hard to find pants that fit me without letting people count the change in my pockets for me. I find that cargo pants work well but my work just went to allowing jeans so I need proper jeans. 
  • Ate like a pig and *spoiler alert* it showed on Friday's scale.
  • Like 1

Battle Log

:livid:Well now you've done it, just wait one evening you'll be working out in your fancy new garage, hear a small sound, turn around, and you'll be surrounded by a bunch of angry assassins. ;)  

Awesome challenge as always!

Assassins are known for their sneaky ways; stealing kettlebells, sledgehammers, and maces from the Rangers and claiming them as their own.

79c84e30334004eeab37491500ac0cd3eebe28dd

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

09/12/2014

bodyweight 204.9

a8W7j2p_460sa.gif

training:

long cycle 28 kg 20, 12, 10, 10, 10, 10, 10 took 30 minutes

back squat 120 kg 3 X 3

notes:

• I'm not sure what amazing hallucinogenic mushrooms I was eating when I wrote "28 kg long cycle 20 reps sets X 8" but I  was clearly high. I had to turn it into something useful so I opted for 10 reps on the five minute mark, that comes down to about 1:30 work and 3:30 rest but totaling a pretty good number of pounds by the end. 
  • Back squat went very well
  • Workout tomorrow ill be early tomorrow so I'll jog rather than try to lift a second time in 12 hours (well 16). I'll lift again Sunday
  • Bodyweight was really high today because I ate like crap. Work to do there.
  • Like 1

Battle Log

Welcome to the Rangers!

I'm a crossfitter, Kettlebells are my nemesis so big props for monster long workouts with them! My heart sinks when I see KB swings on the WOD board, hence why I thought it highly ironic to see "The most loathed" loving what I loath the most! 

Good luck with the challenge, looks like you are setup well for success  :positive:

Oh and +1 for Whitesnake, classic 80's rock, i love it, yeowwwww! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bwn3eFJ9eR0

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

Endor, welcome to the thread and thanks for doubling the amount of Whitesnake! Those American Swings are tough. I don't do them anymore because I've hurt my low back on the two handed swings a couple times. I do need to do more just plain swings though.

Ryoko, allow me to recommend the Games Club of Maryland, one of the oldest and largest game clubs in the US. They got me started down the path of madness and financial ruin. Also, welcome to the thread :)

09/13/204

bodyweight: 202.5

workout: run 7.66 km in 45 minutes

notes:

Today was a pretty leisurely run. I wasn't looking to blow the doors off, just doing the work. Tomorrow I work the kettlebells in the AM. I have 28 kg 1:00 on/1:00 off written down and I may do that but I'm slightly tempted to either do 24 kg 10 RPM for 2 or 3 minutes for a few sets or to do something with the 32 kg bells. Not sure just yet.

EDIT: forgot to mention, dinner tonight was pizza from scratch. Not the healthiest meal but it felt good to make it again. I used to make it weekly but haven't for over a year. I came together quicker and easier than I remember so that was happy. Pro tip: the secret is making your sponge at least 24 hours in advance.

• Like 2

Battle Log

09/14/2014

bodyweight: UNK

Training

Long Cycle 24 kg 10 RPM 2:00 on/2:00 off

1. 21
  2. 20
  3. 20
  4. none
  5. 20

Snatch 20 kg 25/25, 20/20, 15/15, 10/10, 5/5 - just under ten minutes, no set downs

Notes:

• I kept this one a little short so I could come inside and do 30 minutes of foam roller and lacrosse ball work. Once I get my flooring in I will feel more comfortable doing that out in the garage so there should be more of it.
  • I liked the fast long cycles, they were good sprint training. I think I've found my two workouts for the next several weeks. Normal pace 28 kg and fast 24 kg. I'd still like to work the 32s in but I think it's a little premature. 
  • Like 1

Battle Log

:nevreness:  :orange:  :redface-new:

Really, I just thought the assassins seemed like a friendly bunch when I joined up.... but I'll agree with you, kettlebells are more of a ranger thing. But I wouldn't want to be stuck with all the crossfitters. xD *runs*

I'll still stalk you! And i'll try to do a better job with it too... I really need your support too! The upcoming worlds are killing me. It's stressful. Sometimes I'm so sad because there is no longcycle.. and I still suck at snatch so much! So I can't compete with 24's.. and that makes me so so so sad. And i'm nervous about snatching for 10 minutes, because... well i'm sure you know why. Snatching sucks. Stupid Russians. 

And I've got this girl I'm training who is putting up numbers now that would place her in the top 5 at last years worlds- so i'm really super excited about that. But it's nerve wracking because this girl doesn't perform as well during competition as she does during training. 

See. I need someone to talk to this about. Calm me down, would ya? 

Oh yes, good luck with your challenge too! ;) xD

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Notes:

• I kept this one a little short so I could come inside and do 30 minutes of foam roller and lacrosse ball work. Once I get my flooring in I will feel more comfortable doing that out in the garage so there should be more of it.

30 minutes? You don't do anything by halves do you?

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

:nevreness:  :orange:  :redface-new:

Really, I just thought the assassins seemed like a friendly bunch when I joined up.... but I'll agree with you, kettlebells are more of a ranger thing. But I wouldn't want to be stuck with all the crossfitters. xD *runs*

I'll still stalk you! And i'll try to do a better job with it too... I really need your support too! The upcoming worlds are killing me. It's stressful...Snatching sucks... 

I need someone to talk to this about. Calm me down, would ya? 

Oh yeah, the assassins are a lovely group of people, seriously. It was just a tough fit for me because I'm not really doing any bodyweight right now. I hope to remedy that in the future but right now I want to get the weighted reps in. 

I'll definitely come over and bug you. I read your last thread but rarely had to much to add. I feel like anything I had to say would be flip and minimize what you were trying to do and that was not my intent so I just kept quiet.

I have good news for you and bad news for you.

Good news: you'll do great at worlds. The simple fact that you are going to worlds, how awesome is that. I mean, I'm stronger, even at kettlebells than most the guys I meet and I'm still at least a couple years out. By the time I get there I'll probably be forty and just struggling to maintain, you've still got time to develop. This is just your first pass.

Bad news: I'm the worst motivator in the world. I don't even motivate myself. From my perspective it's not about motivation the day of, it's about grinding out day after day. I figure that if I'm in the gym, trying hard, even when I fail, three or more days a week, I'm doing my time. The competition is just a chance to meet other cool people and talk shop (possibly with the best in the world). That's not very motivating for most folks. The knowledge that what you're doing today or yesterday, that's what matters more than the day of.

What's up with no long cycle? I didn't realize that they make women just do snatch. You should talk to them and remind them that long cycle is the best :) Maybe then you could even try it with two kettlebells.

I'll be around. Everyone else should follow your thread too and motivate you where I fail to.

30 minutes? You don't do anything by halves do you?

sure I do, half hours :)

I find that thirty minutes is a good amount for me. I usually start doing and head to heals foam roll work that just feels good and cracks my spine a bunch, discount chiro. In the process I usually find a couple sensitive areas that I really go after with the lacrosse ball. I try to spend 30 seconds to 2 minutes on each of those areas. Then I run my marathon stick over my legs and work some really deep goblet squats. Usually I can touch the floor with y knees locked after that, often times, not before.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Ryoko, allow me to recommend the Games Club of Maryland, one of the oldest and largest game clubs in the US. They got me started down the path of madness and financial ruin. Also, welcome to the thread :)

Oooh awesome! I haven't heard of that - thanks! I will have to make it over there one of these days. :D

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

I'll definitely come over and bug you. I read your last thread but rarely had to much to add. I feel like anything I had to say would be flip and minimize what you were trying to do and that was not my intent so I just kept quiet.

That's kind of like how I feel reading your stuff, but then I throw out something flip just for the camaraderie.

You always give me something to think about.  I only roll for 10 minutes max.  That seems like the sweet spot of amount of input to amount of output to me.  Maybe I'll try a long session next weekend and see how it goes.  Also, I've always worked toes to head.  The other way just seems wrong.

Solstice Challenge

Ahh you don't give yourself enough credit. You managed to calm me down a little :) It IS just about the grind.. and really that's kind of motivating. Plus, looking at the worlds as an opportunity to meet cool people and talk shop.... while having a little vacation... Yea i'm down for that! Much less stressful than worrying about performing well on that blasted snatch :)

And heck, if you're 40 then you could compete with the masters and pick up a gold medal. That'd be pretty wicked :D

Gods of the internet, why do you hate me so?!

I had a nice long reply and lost it to the ether. Apologies if this one is trimmed down a bit.

That's kind of like how I feel reading your stuff, but then I throw out something flip just for the camaraderie.

You always give me something to think about.  I only roll for 10 minutes max.  That seems like the sweet spot of amount of input to amount of output to me.  Maybe I'll try a long session next weekend and see how it goes.  Also, I've always worked toes to head.  The other way just seems wrong.

flippancy - it's internet etiquette to throw in the flip comment now and again to simply show that one is around and paying attention. Sometimes though, I can't get around how rude that would be in real world conversation. We all enjoy knowing we have the followers so I should just get over myself.

long sessions - I don't think ten minutes is wrong, it just takes me 20 minutes to figure out how to spend my ten minutes :)

Ahh you don't give yourself enough credit. You managed to calm me down a little :) It IS just about the grind.. and really that's kind of motivating. Plus, looking at the worlds as an opportunity to meet cool people and talk shop.... while having a little vacation... Yea i'm down for that! Much less stressful than worrying about performing well on that blasted snatch :)

And heck, if you're 40 then you could compete with the masters and pick up a gold medal. That'd be pretty wicked :D

Maybe it's a thing for those of us who have done an athletic endeavor. My wife hates it when she asks me to motivate her because I don't have a flowery speech, I just know the grind. Even failures count towards successes.

Look for me to own the Masters. One of my greatest training inspirations is a guy who lives in Ohio, I've met him three times and we've talked on the internet for years. He's in his 70's now and still setting PRs. He trains day in and day out, mostly just to avoid injury and mobility loss these days but he keeps doing it. I long to be that guy, I'm here for the long game.

Two stories about motivation:

In high school I played American Football. Our team was really bad. In my four years on the team we won three games, I believe, out of roughly a dozen per year. I'll go ahead and say that I felt and feel like most of my team mates didn't work very hard in practice or in games. I, on the other hand, went to practice then went to a private gym and trained after supper.

On particular game we came into the locker room at halftime with a score of our 7 to their 49 points. One of my teammates (to his credit, one of the better players) decided to psych the players up with the following: "Come on guys! They scored forty-nine points in one half, we can to. Let's go out and win this!" We didn't win, not even close.

At Army basic training one of the big events is when you go into a room pumped full of tear gas then quickly put on a gas mask. After several minutes in the mask, proving that you put it on correctly, you remove the mask and just suffer the gas for a minute or two. It's not fun and there are people who run out before they are supposed to, they and their drill instructors are shamed for this. 

Prior to the experience many of the drill sergeants were giving speeches, getting their platoons ready for a tough experience. My drill, Sergeant Todd, looked at us and said "Well privates, I'm not going to psych you up, if you need that, do that for yourself. What I will tell you is that today you will go into the gas chamber and it will suck but you will do it and then you'll be done." He was absolutely right and I still think of that little speech to this day. It's not the most inspirational, it won't get the amazing, life changing performance out of someone that everyone dreams of. What it will do is get me through the day to day.

Plan for the week (purely planning, it never goes perfect)

• Monday: Off
  • Tuesday: 28 kg 1:00 on / 1:00 off 6-7 RPM
  • Wednesday: 24 kg 2:00 on / 2:00 off 10 RPM
  • Thursday: Run
  • Friday: 28 kg 1:00 on / 1:00 off 6-7 RPM
  • Saturday: Run
  • Thursday: 24 kg 2:00 on / 2:00 off 10 RPM

Notes on bodyweight: gain 0.5 lbs from last week to this (essentially zero). I think I accepted too many treats from folks last week. It's always a challenge to turn down all the free food and treats that I have the opportunity to consume in a week. I'm going to try harder this week and hope to be sub 202.0 next week. If I fail at that, it'll be food log time.

Music for the week

• Like 2

Battle Log

flippancy - it's internet etiquette to throw in the flip comment now and again to simply show that one is around and paying attention. Sometimes though, I can't get around how rude that would be in real world conversation. We all enjoy knowing we have the followers so I should just get over myself.

I just know the grind. Even failures count towards successes.

One of my greatest training inspirations is a guy who lives in Ohio, I've met him three times and we've talked on the internet for years. He's in his 70's now and still setting PRs. He trains day in and day out, mostly just to avoid injury and mobility loss these days but he keeps doing it. I long to be that guy, I'm here for the long game.

My drill, Sergeant Todd, looked at us and said "Well privates, I'm not going to psych you up, if you need that, do that for yourself. What I will tell you is that today you will go into the gas chamber and it will suck but you will do it and then you'll be done." He was absolutely right and I still think of that little speech to this day. It's not the most inspirational, it won't get the amazing, life changing performance out of someone that everyone dreams of. What it will do is get me through the day to day.

You gave me more to think about.

In real life I'm often either silent or flippant.  My mother in law will sometimes preface remarks with, "Sloth, now don't you say anything, but..."  I guess I never thought about it being rude.  Dang it.  If I stop being flippant is it improving my people skills or decreasing them because I don't know what else to say?

The grind.  I know it well.  I think of it more as the daily habit.  The daily habit is what gets you through the hard things.  That's why all my challenge goals are always about the habits, not the end products.  What I don't know is the brilliance of the beautiful game saving play.

Your friend sounds great.  I'm coming to the realization that that's the kind of focus and training I need to develop.  Maybe when I hit the really old masters classes I can finally vie for a nationals jersey.

And finally, your sergeant sounds wise.  That's the type of speech that would have worked on me.

Keep on keeping on my man.

Solstice Challenge

"It will suck, but you will do it and then you'll be done"

I love it. Absolutely saying that to my kb team next time I program something truly evil :D

I'm also definitely in it for the long haul (that guy sounds amazing) but I do want to get some shit done before I'm past my prime yknow..

The grind.  I know it well.  I think of it more as the daily habit.  The daily habit is what gets you through the hard things.  That's why all my challenge goals are always about the habits, not the end products.  What I don't know is the brilliance of the beautiful game saving play.

Your friend sounds great.  I'm coming to the realization that that's the kind of focus and training I need to develop.  Maybe when I hit the really old masters classes I can finally vie for a nationals jersey.

The grind = habits, it all depends on how I feel that day.

Your second paragraph makes me think of your own thread. Good luck with that process. It's so very personal but I'm sure you'll get more advice and suggestions than you can use. 

I'm also definitely in it for the long haul (that guy sounds amazing) but I do want to get some shit done before I'm past my prime yknow..

Yep, I'm glad I pulled a quarter ton when I did because I sure as heck wouldn't approach it as I age. It's a tough balance, some short term goals may interfere with long term goals and once you go down a road you can't go back. We all face it. I'm lucky to be at a place were I got some things done back in the day and I have time to get more things done but I'm also past my "prime".

09/15/2014

bodyweight: 203.5

workout: off

notes:

• I think my appetite is changing in response to the weather, I'm just always hungry now. Frustrating
  • Last night I gamed with Tonu rather than my usual gaming partner. It was great, I got to meet his kid and lose very handily to his son at Farlander. I'm sad that this game isn't more popular in the hobby realm. It's older but it's a really solid, simply strategy game. If you see it, it's worth picking up. We also played Pandemic which is a good intro to co-op game
  • Tonight I Lift!! I'm feeling good going into this. 
  • Like 3

Battle Log

I'm also past my "prime".

I wanted to add some more detail around this. The line by itself will suggest to some people that I'm doing the thing that people do of decrying "I'm old" when they have plenty of years left. I'm not doing this. I'm acknowledging the societal idea of one's "prime" as being in one's  twenties. It's BS in a lot of ways but it's correct in some ways. In many ways I'm in or still approaching my best years. 

Just looking at my training, I'm past my prime in that I can no longer train hard day in and day out, two consecutive days is about my max, day three requires that I lay off. I'm also past my prime in that doing that kind of training has caused a few very serious injuries for me that had I never trained stupidly I probably wouldn't have to deal with. However, I'm in or approaching my prime in that I have a stable training situation, I have access to whatever food I want, I can manipulate my schedule pretty freely to encourage recovery. While I won't do some of the heavy lifts I have done, that is a choice I am making, not a situation thrust upon me. 

I saw I'm "past my prime" but I mean it with a sneer and a sense of irony. I'm right where I want to be in a great many ways and I'm laying to groundwork to continue to be where I want to be for the very long view. That doesn't mean I won't try to get my CMS, that doesn't mean I won't shoot to get some of the best men's lifts over then next five years. It does mean that I may or may not succeed in those years but the subsequent years, the master's years, I'll be well positioned to keep plugging away.

Saying I'm "past my prime" isn't an excuse, it's a mission statement.

Maybe try eating some more protein to help with hunger?

I'll be completely honest, my instinct was to sneer at this comment. I shouldn't it's completely valid advice but I eat alot of protein, enough that many people would look down their noses at my diet. But, I'm a person who questions his instincts and so I did. What I found surprised me. I eat less than I thought, although I'm probably not doing too bad.

Let's take a look at yesterday - this is from memory so it will be imperfect:

Breakfast (0500) 3 eggs, 2 slices of bacon C:315 F:21 Ca:2 P:24

Snack (0900) almonds, guessing 3 ounces C:508 F:45 Ca:16 P:19

Lunch (1100) double bacon cheeseburger C;390 F:21 Ca:27 P:17

Supper (1800) pizza C:600 F:22.5 Ca:72 P:24

post workout (2100) almond milk C:120 F:5 Ca:19 P:2

Calories: 1900 Fat: 114 Carbs: 136 Protein: 86

I could make a lot of excuses about how I rarely eat pizza and so one but, frankly,  this is a perfectly good arbitrary sample of an imperfect day's food. Reviewing it I realize a few things:

1. I've let my caloric intake slip (and I was just complaining about being hungry). I need to push it back up at least 500 calories.
  2. My protein intake is below 1g/kg. While yesterday may not have been perfectly representative, it needs to be attended to
  3. I need to do another food log. I hate doing food logs, it feels pedantic and silly but it's time. So look for that next week

KB Girl, thanks for the suggestion, sorry for initially turning up my nose at it. I'm glad you made it.

09/17/2014

bodyweight: 203.5

training

long cycle 28 kg 1:00 on/1:00 off

1. 6
  2. 6
  3. 6
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 7
  7. 7
  8. 7
  9. 7
  10. 7
  11. 7
  12. 7

Snatch 20 kg 25/25, 20/20, 15/15, 10/10,  5/5

Notes:

• Kept it short, Laura wasn't feeling well so I tried to crank out a quick workout and get back inside
  • Recorded a few 1 minutes sets of long cycle, this was just to look at technique. Video at the bottom of the post
  • I wanted to record some snatches but long cycle was uploading and I have limited room on my phone. I need to see myself on this because I can feel my technique is pretty poor. I also wanted to contribute to the discussion over in the support group.

Video:

Non Youtube path

• Like 4

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines