Very interesting! Thanks for the food for thought. It always strikes me as very interesting that people like Ksenia (record holder 24kg snatch) never have grip problems, in fact claim to not even feel the grip. 

For now i'm sticking with the theory that improving my technique will decrease the drain on my grip strength, but i'll consider doing some extra work too- right now I don't feel like I even can do 1 snatch with the 24kg because of the grip factor, so the extra work might be good for moving on up in weight.

Your saturday game night sounds like a lot of fun :) 

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

...For now i'm sticking with the theory that improving my technique will decrease the drain on my grip strength, ...

I don't feel like I have any authority on snatch technique. I considered this as I was writing previously but I trust you to know better than I do so left it out or what I spoke on.

Ha! Mad video, never seen that before, how cool :)

Ok Go has quite a few cool videos, they gained their initial notoriety from a video with choreograph on treadmills, it's worth googling.

I read this and for some reason saw Yoda :lol: I guess he would have said still full am I but anyway it made me chuckle!

mm..still full I am..mm..use the force to digest I must.

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

Great to see how consistent you are with your workouts. Impressive stuff. Did the snatch today. This was my first time to do it for any length of time, and I was like, oh this is why they were talking about how hard it is on your grip. Wow, my hands were sore.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Well it is really important for me to consider other pov. I might be overly focused on technique when sometimes you also just need a little bit more strength.

There is a reason one of the girls I'm training had better results than me despite having less technique, she's stronger. And I'd do well to remember that.

Great to see how consistent you are with your workouts. Impressive stuff. Did the snatch today. This was my first time to do it for any length of time, and I was like, oh this is why they were talking about how hard it is on your grip. Wow, my hands were sore.

Thanks Elastigirl. It's my belief that consistency breed success.

Glad to hear that you had the snatch experience. It interesting how it feels in the moment and especially how it feels when you come back to an already sore hand. It's not a comfortable lesson but your first tears are a learning experience too. 

Well it is really important for me to consider other pov. I might be overly focused on technique when sometimes you also just need a little bit more strength.

There is a reason one of the girls I'm training had better results than me despite having less technique, she's stronger. And I'd do well to remember that.

I'm going to go out on a limb here.... I think you're overthinking it. I fully realize that this is the black crayon calling the dark grey crayon "black". Training snatches is training grip. When grip feels like your week point, training grip is training snatches. Technique improvements will always help. The progress will come very slowly but you have to build out your program and do the work. Last week to this week doesn't really matter, even this week to World's doesn't really matter. by next spring, if you stay on it, your grip won't be a the problem, new ones will have arisen and you'l be trying to solve those puzzles. 

Loathed is my fitness Yoda. Every comment/answer is wise and thought through.

First thank you. This exact wording made me chuckle because in certain internet training boards "Yoda" is an insult because he only lifts things in his mind. It's an expression for weightlifting's version of an armchair quarterback. That is not how I took it and the compliment is appreciated, just made me chuckle.

09/29/2014

off day - games

Brian has been lamenting that he hasn't bought a game in a while and he felt he isn't pulling his weight. He's also be wishing for some new games to play while I've stopped buying any while Laura is between jobs. He made the call that rather than go to our usual place we went to a place slightly further away that has a much better selection of games to buy. We got in and found a game that I had heard good things about as well as a game I knew nothing about but looked like our type of game. he decided to buy both (hobby games commonly run $40-$60 and these were on the high end). While making our purchase we were informed that while the open gaming tables in the store looked full, they have a basement.

After he dropped well over $100 we headed downstairs with two games we barely knew a thing about, hoping they would work for us. It turned out that they had four or more tables down there and not a single person! We decided to open Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar. He assembled a board unlike any I have ever seen while I read the rules. It was an amazing game The board had five cogs, four of which are dependent on the rotation of a single large wheel. On a players turn he or she either sets down workers OR picks up workers, never both. After we both have a turn, we rotate he wheel one notch. This serves to advance the game (one full revolution and the game is over) but it also moves all the workers you set down on their respective tracks, giving them better rewards. It was pretty awesome.

We skipped our normal lunchtime gaming group today to play another round. We still want to get several plays in on this game but we also have Vasco Da Gama still in shrink for next week or even the week after. Sweet.

Tzolk'in Review

Tzolk'in Gameplay

09/30/2014

Test day

28 kg long cycle 10:00

made it just over 5 minutes for 26 reps. Slightly slower and obviously about half the time I'm trying to work up to but PROGRESS! I've not reviewed in detail but would like to make some time to do so this weekend.

I also did snatch 20 kg 10/10 X 5

Notes:

You may have noticed (or not) that this test is a full week early!!! I did some backwards planning and realized that the last week of October has to be a test and transition week and the first week of November will be an entirely off week. That means either needed to cut this cycle short and do three weeks of volume or I had one more week of this and two weeks of volume. I chose the former. I can't say that it's right or wrong, just what I picked.

Battle Log

As a fellow game enthusiast, based on your short description, I now want to play Tzolk'in.  Where did you go to play?

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

We were at Tower Games. Monday night there is dedicated to Android: Netrunner but there is also some boardgaming. We more often play at Monster Den (the Minneapolis location of Dreamers). If you know you'll be free some Monday from 6-9, let me know and I would imagine we could include you in a few hours of gaming. 

Also, I think that when I was at FFG last weekend they had a copy on their library shelf that you could play. Obviously in that case, you need to bring 1 - 3 of your closest friends and a willingness to learn and play a game on the fly.

Battle Log

Oh tests! I love tests! Well done :) Looking forward to the next one already. I have to say your lockout, especially on left arm, looks a little worse. Or maybe just the camera angle? 

I'm going to go out on a limb here.... I think you're overthinking it. I fully realize that this is the black crayon calling the dark grey crayon "black". Training snatches is training grip. When grip feels like your week point, training grip is training snatches. Technique improvements will always help. The progress will come very slowly but you have to build out your program and do the work. Last week to this week doesn't really matter, even this week to World's doesn't really matter. by next spring, if you stay on it, your grip won't be a the problem, new ones will have arisen and you'l be trying to solve those puzzles.

You are probably right. "just do the work" is something my bf tells me a lot too. 

It's really hard to imagine ever not having grip problems. Especially because everyone i know IRL has grip problems on snatch.. and I haven't ever heard of a non-russian that doesn't have grip problems. Even Denisov has grip problems on the snatch :P

Oh tests! I love tests! Well done :) Looking forward to the next one already. I have to say your lockout, especially on left arm, looks a little worse. Or maybe just the camera angle? 

You are probably right. "just do the work" is something my bf tells me a lot too. 

It's really hard to imagine ever not having grip problems. Especially because everyone i know IRL has grip problems on snatch.. and I haven't ever heard of a non-russian that doesn't have grip problems. Even Denisov has grip problems on the snatch :tongue:

I agree that my mobility looks worse in the video. I think it was partially a bad day for it but I also think that my mobility has gotten worse in general this cycle. Partial blame goes to a heavy cycle and partial blame goes to not doing enough (any) mobility work. It's something I need to work into the next cycle. Thank you for bringing it up.

I can't say for certain that you will ever not have grip as a limitation. All I can tell you is that I felt the same about the deadlift. It took year, literally years of continuous training including additional accessory grip work when one day I realized that it wasn't my hands that were the roadblock on my deadlift. Eventually grip did come up again as an issue and I trained it away again. The sport of kettlebell snatch is a weird beast. I can't think of anything like it in the sports world. most people can even carry 30 lbs in one hand for a couple minutes, swinging 30 or even 50 lbs for five minutes with one hand then changing hands is pretty nuts. 

There are some great resources on the topic of sport climbing. Anything they say about grip is the closest analog to the kettlebell snatch that I have seen. While they will encourage practitioners to train grip they will emphasize not over gripping and resting between grips. Ensuring that you are doing these two things as much as possible is certainly and area where I could benefit, maybe you could as well. I don't know how to control over gripping but you could have your boyfriend or another trusted partner step in after a snatch and actually try an move some of you fingers on your snatch hand to see how relaxed you are or are not. It may be informative. It also may be a waste of time, I can't say.

• Like 2

Battle Log

Actually the last bit you describe is exactly how I train my people to stop over gripping :) But i've moved from having to touch them to being able to actually see it. That was a revelation I can tell you. It's easier in the top position hold though, but very hard to check it during the swing. Not over gripping in the swing part is really hard to do and to see. But thanks, your story is encouraging. 

What are you planning on doing for mobility?

What are you planning on doing for mobility?

I tend to do foam roller and lacrosse ball as well as a few movements that I know help (goblet squats, rotation presses). I've had some luck with very lightly loaded shoulder rotations as well. At some point I'd like to get some Indian Clubs and work with those but my budget for the year is spent so that'll be a while. If you have additional suggestions, I'm interested.

10/01/2014

Training

long cycle 20 kg 4:00 12 RPM

long cycle 20 kg 4:00 10 RPM

Notes:

Not a lot happening here. I'm in an off week and I wanted to play with pacing a bit as I get ready to do some longer 20kg sets.

10/02/2014

training: off

notes:

Planned on walking but the weather was not letting this happen. 

10/03/2014

training: none

notes: I put in my rubber flooring! I'll get you a picture. 

10/04/2014

training

kettlebell jerk 20 kg 0:30 on, 1:00 off 8 round

jump squats 115 lbx X 100

kettlebell jerk 24 kg 1:00, 1:00 8 rounds

jump squat 115 lbs X 100

Long Cycle 24 kg 12RPM 

jump squat 115 lbs X 100

Notes:

Tonu came by so we did hi program. It's the most jerks and jump squats I've ever done. During the heavier jerks I felt like my triceps were going to fail but they bore out. 

10/05/2014

Training

Circuit

Row 1km

20 burpees

kettlebell swing 24 kg 20,20

repeat very ten minutes 

six time

Notes:

This workout did exactly what I wanted it to do. It was a great GPP workout. I had a great sweat going and was fatigued in all the right ways. I had wanted it to be a work to rest ratio of about 2:1 and it worked out to be seven minutes of work to three minutes of rest. 

Battle Log

10/06/2014

I almost forgot it was Monday. I have today off because we had planned to go to a wedding this weekend but our dogsitting arrangements fell through. Truth be told, I'm so much happier to have spent this time at home. We were intensely social this weekend, something we don't normally do. Also, I ate like I didn't care. I haven't weighed myself today but I've got to be near 205. I've had more beer this weekend than I normally drink in a month. I've eaten garbage and done next to nothing. 

Week wrap up:

Last week was exactly what it was supposed to be in terms of training and preparing to train. I tested and tested well.I got the flooring in the gym which makes me very satisfied and gives me a nice sense of closure on the year. The next two items to add are a pull up bar and to put my extra bit of flooring on a wall for handstand push ups. Those could happen this fall but they're on my 2015 to-do.

I all but gave up on diet this week. No, I did worse than that. I ate trash. With all the socializing this weekend, we ate out five or so times, with beer most of those times and ice cream once. So I need to get back to eating normal, which I look forward to. I also have to ask myself, am I committed to 85 kg this fall or do I want to park that and deal with it in the spring, when I naturally lose weight. I don't know the answer. I plan to try and limit intake this week more to see where my level of commitment seems to be than to actually lose.

While doing the social thing this weekend, I was reminded of something. I love training and I love my kettlebell training, I hate talking about it in a group setting. I had a couple people start asking me about my training and one was intensely interested in the kettlebell stuff. I immediately got coy and tried to steer the conversation elsewhere. As soon as I saw that I was doing this, I relented a bit and tried to talk more about it. I also started to assess myself, why was I not embracing this opportunity?

Fitness is far less science and a lot of religion and there are fanatical devotees of every fitness religion. I try to love my fitness brothers and sisters regardless of their school of choice. When I start to talk about my training, I know a ton of challenges will be thrown out, some legit, some garbage. If I'm in a setting where I feel that I can have an extended, intelligent conversation, I'm willing to do that. If I'm in a social space, where the average level of fitness knowledge is what was said on Good Morning America this week, I don't feel it's the right place to have that conversation and I don't really want to deal with it.

This weekend specifically, when the guy I was talking to what trying to give me a hard time for not benching while complaining of his should issues, I was not in the mood to be preached to. When he wanted to pick at my program for not having enough splits in it, not interested. I get why he's doing it. I've done those programs to but not everyone has success with them and no one has success all the time. When he started asking about kettlebells, I was already in a negative headspace. I did try to soften my position, showed him my last test video but I also didn't want to be antisocial to the rest of the table as we went down this rabbit hole.

So, if you meet a fellow fitness freak in a social setting, I want to offer you a suggestion. Tell them about NF and tell them to meet you there for the conversation. Barring that, and this is what I did, exchange email addresses. Send them an email to chat about it, see if they want to be a facebook friend or twitter follower or whatever. Move the conversation somewhere more appropriate rather than monopolizing them in the social setting.

Plans for the week (Volumetober week 1)

• Tuesday - long cycle 24 kg 6:00 on, 6:00 X 3 off 6-7 rpm (never completed this workout, hoping to do so)
  • Wednesday - long cycle 20 kg 12:00 7 rpm
  • Thursday - off (maybe mobility and light, we'll see)
  • Friday - long cycle 20 kg 12:00 (may try to increase pace to 8 RPM and drop to 10:00 depending on Wednesday)
  • Saturday - long cycle  long cycle 24 kg 6:00 on, 6:00 off X 36-7 RPM
  • Sunday - GPP (exact workout TBD)

Music for the week

Pump up the Volume

Hard from Hard Volume by Rollins Band

• Like 1

Battle Log

While doing the social thing this weekend, I was reminded of something. I love training and I love my kettlebell training, I hate talking about it in a group setting. I had a couple people start asking me about my training and one was intensely interested in the kettlebell stuff. I immediately got coy and tried to steer the conversation elsewhere. As soon as I saw that I was doing this, I relented a bit and tried to talk more about it. I also started to assess myself, why was I not embracing this opportunity?

Fitness is far less science and a lot of religion and there are fanatical devotees of every fitness religion. I try to love my fitness brothers and sisters regardless of their school of choice. When I start to talk about my training, I know a ton of challenges will be thrown out, some legit, some garbage. If I'm in a setting where I feel that I can have an extended, intelligent conversation, I'm willing to do that. If I'm in a social space, where the average level of fitness knowledge is what was said on Good Morning America this week, I don't feel it's the right place to have that conversation and I don't really want to deal with it.

This weekend specifically, when the guy I was talking to what trying to give me a hard time for not benching while complaining of his should issues, I was not in the mood to be preached to. When he wanted to pick at my program for not having enough splits in it, not interested. I get why he's doing it. I've done those programs to but not everyone has success with them and no one has success all the time. When he started asking about kettlebells, I was already in a negative headspace. I did try to soften my position, showed him my last test video but I also didn't want to be antisocial to the rest of the table as we went down this rabbit hole.

So, if you meet a fellow fitness freak in a social setting, I want to offer you a suggestion. Tell them about NF and tell them to meet you there for the conversation. Barring that, and this is what I did, exchange email addresses. Send them an email to chat about it, see if they want to be a facebook friend or twitter follower or whatever. Move the conversation somewhere more appropriate rather than monopolizing them in the social setting.

It's hard to lose weight in Minnesota in the fall, your body seems to want to put on a layer of insulation and it is harder to get in extra outside movement.

I can totally relate.  I love talking about kettlebells and sandbag training, but maybe that's because it's still new to me and I don't really know what the heck I'm doing.  People are interested because it is different and even if they are a fitness enthusiast with their own training methodologies, they usually still think it is cool or hardcore.  Of course I've never run into anyone who was super serious about anything besides biking or running.  But if they find out I mountain bike or used to road race all I want do is crawl in a hole.  If they say, "Like Lance Armstrong" I am out of there.  I just do not want to be critiqued about it.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

10/06/2014

I totally get the way you feel about this, when people ask me about Crossfit or Oly lifting in group settings I find it embarrassing to talk about. I'd compare it to talking about your new awesome car that you love and could talk about all day, which no one else is really interested in. I'm very conscious of boring people with a level of detail they weren't expecting! 

Also thanks for more classic tunes, haven't heard Pump up the volume for years! Very appropriate for my squat program this week :)

Here's some classic 80's rock in the vein of whitesnake to get you "all fired up" ;)

Endor, LVL 40 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Current Challenge (Jan 2021)

It's hard to lose weight in Minnesota in the fall, your body seems to want to put on a layer of insulation and it is harder to get in extra outside movement.

... If they say, "Like Lance Armstrong" I am out of there. 

Yeah, I'm trying to not let myself use the winter excuse but I am wondering if I'm setting myself up for failure and should take a pass now and deal with the weight when I know it will come easily. Sometimes it's worth swimming upstream, sometimes it's better to go with the flow. I'm not sure which this is.

I can't imagine how often you the the Lance Armstrong comment, We have a good city for biking though, road and mountain. I've know a few single track guys and I guess there is at least one league in town even.

...I'm very conscious of boring people with a level of detail they weren't expecting! 

...Here's some classic 80's rock in the vein of whitesnake to get you "all fired up" ;)

Yes! it is an issue of, if you aren't prepared to handle the answers to the questions you're asking, maybe we shouldn't have this conversation and without going into details, I'm not sure I can give answers.

i have not thought of Pat Benatar in ages, YouTube Pat Benatar mix, here I come!

Battle Log

We have a great cycling city, so I don't get comments like that any more unless I end up socializing in the suburbs. My wife is extroverted and she's been known to say things like, "you work out? So does Ted, Ted tell him about your Shovelglove workouts."

With those long cycle workouts I'm actually surprised that your problem isn't keeping weight on. They sound brutal.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

garage Gym

Long overdue photo post flooring.

Yep, it's still a garage so you can see my lawn mower.

On  the far side is my plyo box, I've got matched pairs of competiton kettlebells in 4 kg increments from 16 - 32. In the right corner you can see the end of my barbell, there is an associated rack to hold the bar and 400lbs of plates, 300 of which are bumper plates.

maybe I'll do a few posts of really talking about my gear in detail.

The whether here has gotten colder, it's getting right to freezing at night. So far the garage has been very bearable. I'm worried about the fact that neither the side door (in the picture) or two garage doors are insulated. At some point the difference in temp will be too much. I will be moving a space heater out there at some point but once those kettlebells get cold to the core, a space heater won't help.

Next year I'm looking forward to hanging a pull up bar. Ideally, I'd really like to get a powerrack but I'm pretty sure I'll need to make a choice between powerrack and doors. The weather this winter will probably guide my decisions.

Battle Log

So jealous of your garage. Great job on it.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

That looks really neat :) How cold does it get anyway? Our gym has a small space heater that doesn't really do much in such a large space... but we just tell people to dress warm xD Though I suppose it doesn't get quite as cold over here?

How is it that you need to choose between a power rack and doors? Only way to make space for it? 

The social training-talking thing is interesting. I actually never find myself in this situation. Nobody ever asks! Which is probably a good thing 'cause I'd have a hard time shutting up about it. People ask me about diet related things all the time because they know what i'm studying... which is really annoying because it is exactly like you described. They go all "ohhh superfood" or something like that and then when i'm not equally blindly enthusiastic they are often disappointed. They don't want to actually hear your opinion, just want to get their own confirmed.

So jealous of your garage. Great job on it.

Thank you. I take no credit for it. My wife had the idea, my friends and family were work horses and experts. I simply reap the benefits. Frankly, it is completely not fair to anyone but me. It's pretty awesome

That looks really neat :) How cold does it get anyway? Our gym has a small space heater that doesn't really do much in such a large space... but we just tell people to dress warm xD Though I suppose it doesn't get quite as cold over here?

How is it that you need to choose between a power rack and doors? Only way to make space for it? 

The social training-talking thing is interesting. I actually never find myself in this situation. Nobody ever asks! Which is probably a good thing 'cause I'd have a hard time shutting up about it. People ask me about diet related things all the time because they know what i'm studying... which is really annoying because it is exactly like you described. They go all "ohhh superfood" or something like that and then when i'm not equally blindly enthusiastic they are often disappointed. They don't want to actually hear your opinion, just want to get their own confirmed.

last year we had a couple days that got down to  -28 C for the HIGH! Wikipedia tells me that December is our coldest month with an average low of -22C and and average high of -4 C. Those are averages so there will be some nights that are -25 for a low most years. My space heater will have much less space to worry about, it's just  a double garage rather than what appears to be a fairly large facility at your place. 

The decision between the doors and rack comes down to budget. The doors will be expensive, the rack less so. If it turns out that I'm in my gym well into December and am back out there in January then I'll probably settle for a month of indoor training and buy the rack. If I barely get into November and am downstairs and don't get back out until late February, I'd rather get the doors and add a couple months to my garage training time.

I used to get the diet discussions, I still do occasionally. When people find out I've lost sixty pounds in the last few years they always want to know my secret. When I tell them that I had to clean up my diet, monitor my intake and that I workout five or six days a week, they get a disappointed look and change the topic. :)

• Like 2

Battle Log

10/07/2014

bodyweight: 203.9

training

long cycle 6:00 on, 6:00 off

• 24 kg 36
  • 24 kg 12 (fail at two minutes)
  • 20 kg 40
  • 20 kg 36

snatch 20 kg 10/10 X 5

circuit

• box jump 24" X 10
  • clap push ups X 10
  • hand to hand swing 28 kg 10/10

5 rounds

notes

• chest got fatigued on the long cycles. I think I'm not far from actually grinding out that second set which is exciting. I will start doing 24, 24, 20 this cycle. I think it might have been residual fatigue from Sunday's burpees
  • took ten minutes to do a little lacrosse ball rolling after long cycles and oh man! did that help. I found this spot in the small of m back that made my hip flexor spasm when I hit it. After a little work I got up and had a ton of crackles in my spine and an ache I had had in my low back for at least most of the day was gone
  • circuit was faster than I expected and the point of failure was going to be the clap push ups if I went on. 
  • Laura was talking today about a local yoga place that had a one month deal where a person could take as many classes as he or she wanted. I pointed out that I have no additional spare time but that if I was in her position (between jobs for at least a couple more weeks) I would jump on that and take at least one class a day for the month or until work kicked in. She went on about her evening but later asked if I minded if she did that. Of course not! So I hope she gives it a shot. She's already health, strong and flexible but I think it would be good for her to expand her experience, even if in the long run she decides that it's not for her.
  • I noticed today that the last couple weeks of very intense work is finally relenting. It's a good a thing. Life is returning to normal, no more bringing work home.

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines