Glad your work intensity is returning to normal :)

Those training numbers look good! never heard of a fatigued chest before, that's interesting. 

I'm pretty happy our winters don't get that cold, i feel for you. and i'll think about you whenever i feel about complaining the coming colder months :P

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

10/08/2014

bodyweight: 204.7

training: none

Notes:

Laura heard back on a job interview that she was really invested in: no-go. So we hung out for the evening, I tried to help her feel better about the situation. I probably did a bad job but hopefully she'll take her own guidance and stop doing one job at a time and start queuing up a bunch. 

Hitting the gym tonight for long-long cycle

Revised Schedule:

• Thursday: long cycle 20 kg 12:00 8rpm
  • Friday: long cycle 6:00 on, 6:00 off X 3 6-7 rpm, trying for 24, 24, 20 for weights
  • Saturday: light GPP and cardio
  • Sunday: long cycle 20 kg 12:00 8 rpm
  • Like 2

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

10/09/2014

bodyweight: 204.7

training

Long Cycle

20 kg 10:00 70

20 kg 4:00 40

10 minute mobility break

Snatch 

24 kg 1/1->6/6

Barbell Squat 80 kg 20

Barbell Press 40 kg 10

TGU 24 kg 5/5

KB Swing 32 kg 1/1 -> 8/8

10 minute foam roller work

notes

• dropped out on the long cycle at 10:00 (rather than 12 minutes) as my forearms were fried. A pretty sure sign that I was overgripping the bell either in the rack, overhead or both. Did some intense four minutes as penance. They felt pretty good.
  • Snatch was pretty meh
  • back squat was pretty solid. I haven't done a lot of this of late so I took it  a little light. I'll kick it up next time
  • Press was also a bit light
  • First TGUs in a long time. With standing at my desk all day, every day, I'm finding that I get some tightness in my lower back that limits my desire to get all the way down to the floor and back up so I'm adding TGUs as something to put me through a very full range of motion
  • The mobility work I did last session helped out a bunch with some tightness I was feeling build up in my lower back. I'm enjoying the little break after my main exercise and the rest of the accessory work.

Battle Log

10/10/2014

bodyweight: 204.1

training

longcycle

24 kg 36 per 6:00

off 6:00

20 kg 40 per 6:00

off 6:00

20 kg 27 per 3:30

notes

• very short workout. I hit it pretty hard and had very little left in the form of motivation. I did attempt a forth set but a minute and half in I just didn't care even a little

10/11/2014

bodyweight: 204.1

training

Deadlift 120 kg 5 X 5

Kettlebell complex I two rounds at 20 kg

notes

• I had a lot of free time morning so I took it nice and slow. Lot's of warm up with animal crawls and moving around through as full and varied ranges of motion as I could come up with 
  • Like 1

Battle Log

10/12/2014

bodyweight: 202.1 (I don't have my phone on me but I think that is correct)

training:

long cycles 20 kg 12:00 74 reps

Snatch 1/1 -> 6/6 (actually I lost count which is why I stopped but I think i was at 6)

back squat 100 kg X 15

barbell press 60 kg X 5, 2 sets

turkish getup 24 k 5/5

circuit

• box jump 24" X 10
  • clap push up X 10
  • H2H swing 10/10
  • back bridge push up X 5

3 rounds

notes:

• First, I'm very happy to have hit 12 minutes again. The first couple minutes are just laughably easy, the next couple are boring with a growing tension. Minute six is where I start to question if I will make it. Minute 8 is where I start to think about quitting. Minute 10 is where I make my decision to do good work or fail
  • annoyed at myself for losing count on the snatches, my mind wandered, I don't even recall what to
  • heavy work was fun, disappointed I had to break the presses into two sets. 
  • A little circuit to make the workout feel complete.

Battle Log

Week wrap up:

• Tuesday - long cycle 6:00 on, 6:00 off 24, 20, 20, Circuit GPP
  • Wednesday - off
  • Thursday - long cycle 20 kg, 10:00, 4:00, Heavy GPP
  • Friday - long cycle 24 kg/ 6:00, 20 kg/ 6:00, 20 kg/ 3:30
  • Saturday - deadlift and GPP
  • Sunday - long cycle 20 kg 12:00, Circuit GPP
  • I'm pretty happy with my first and last workouts. The middle ones weren't all I could hope for but they weren't bad. In truth, I struggle more with the mental components more than any other. A twelve minute set, even with a light weight gets mentally tough despite the fact that I physically could do it pretty much any day of the week. The heavier sets play on this even more but with the added benefit of actual fatigue mixing in.

Plan for this week

• Tuesday: long cycle 24kg 6:00/6:00 (trying for 24, 24, 20), heavy gpp
  • Wednesday: long cycle 20 kg 12:00, metcon gpp
  • Thursday: noon workout at work, very easy
  • Friday: long cycle 20 kg 12:00, heavy GPP
  • Saturday: long cycle 24 kg 6/6 (again 24, 24, 20), probably little to no GPP
  • Sunday: row, heavy stuff

I doubt I'll pull off all six, I'll settle for five of six. Not a lot more to add at this point. Doing the work.

Music

From my high school days

Battle Log

Doing the work indeed, and good work too! Love the 12 minute set. What was your competition result again? 

The mind stuff is really the hardest, can you convince yourself to keep going for a bit. Lately I've been just doing long sets with snatch (with or without multiple switches) and I do find it easier mentally because I know that after that i'm done and I can do whatever I feel like doing. If I do 3 or 4 medium long sets it gets harder and harder to convince myself to pick it back up again.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: It's all future KB Girl's problem

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Comp result was 68 with 24s. I'v debated trying to do another 10 minute set with 24s but I don't think I'm at a place yet where I could necessarily complete ten minutes in a training environment.

I only struggle with the pick up when I've really gone all out. I struggle a lot with the set down. Four minutes into a set, my brain tells me to just put them down. My brain is a big jerk.

Battle Log

Comp result was 68 with 24s. I'v debated trying to do another 10 minute set with 24s but I don't think I'm at a place yet where I could necessarily complete ten minutes in a training environment.

I only struggle with the pick up when I've really gone all out. I struggle a lot with the set down. Four minutes into a set, my brain tells me to just put them down. My brain is a big jerk.

Ha, I was just thinking about  how to not let my brain be a jerk earlier today while doing snatches.Stupid brain kept telling me to quit. The good part of my brain reminded me how hard I pushed my body when doing a PVP last week for competition, but the lazy part said that the snatch wasn't for a competition and I should stop. I  was also thinking how it must be easier for you and KBGirl, because you have the incentive of knowing you are preparing for a competition. But I guess it's not that much easier to convine your brain when you aren't in the actual competition. Course  your sets are way more impressive than my tiny beginner ways.

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

...I  was also thinking how it must be easier for you and KBGirl, because you have the incentive of knowing you are preparing for a competition. But I guess it's not that much easier to convine your brain when you aren't in the actual competition...

The competition motivates me to go back out to the gym each day (it's rare but there are days where I don't feel like it) but once the bell is in motion, that all drops away and it's just the same as you. Sometimes I'm pretty sure I'm nuts. When I successfully completed that twelve minute set (or any other tough set) I'm pretty sure that I am voluntarily putting myself in physiological levels of pain that people seek medication for. To your point during conversation, I went ten minutes in my meet, I don't think I had ever made it to eight minutes in a training setting. According to KB Girl, that's pretty typical.

10/13/2014

Off day - I ate so much garbage. The cafe in the park by my house is closing for the season this weekend so we went over for one last beer and fried fish. It was delicious but horrific. I can comfort myself in the knowledge that I passed on doughnuts earlier in the day and had eaten only veggies to that point in the day. none the less, so much garbage.

Played Vasco da Gama last night (famous for being thrown off the roof of a popular boardgame reviewer as his way of reviewing the game). It was  a little rough because the rules aren't the best written. We played Tzolkin' again as a palate cleanser, still love that game. This recent round of good, new games has really put me back in the mood to explore new games more, which is good because now is when they release all the new games for the year. I don't currently have any cash for new games but It's a good time to do research and write up a Christmas wishlist.

This morning went to crack my neck and pulled a muscle. I'm a little irritated. I'm doing all I can to keep it mobile today but I worry that it may impact training.

Battle Log

I've often wondered how to tap into the competitive mindset while training. If I thought about it, I'd be in pain just about the whole time I race. But in training, I'm like "meh, that hurts, I'll back off and hit it hard tomorrow."

I don't know about you, but when I'm training, I'm thinking, mostly about stupid stuff, but when I'm racing, my brain shuts up and keeps out of the way.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I've often wondered how to tap into the competitive mindset while training. If I thought about it, I'd be in pain just about the whole time I race. But in training, I'm like "meh, that hurts, I'll back off and hit it hard tomorrow."

I don't know about you, but when I'm training, I'm thinking, mostly about stupid stuff, but when I'm racing, my brain shuts up and keeps out of the way.

I've had the same question in my brain many times. The thought always was that I would be more successful if I could train those last few reps. Over the past year my mind has changed on this topic. I have begun to think that training with the competitive mindset day in and day out is almost certainly a road to ruin. 

First and foremost, training to max effort frequently is begging for injury. The body just can't deal with red lining time and again. Admittedly, in my 20's I did train close to max effort frequently but I got hurt more often than I do now too. It's those injuries that have led to some of my chronic issues today (nerve damage, mobility, and a couple others). Second, the burnout factor gets real high when you push yourself at that level. It could almost be seen as injury of the mind. Redlining day after day your brain can break before your body. All of this is why most marathoners barely run a marathon in the course of an entire week of training.

There are some techniques you can use to combat the feeling of a loss of training intensity. One that you've seen me start doing recently - infrequently test under as competition like conditions as possible. You've seen me start doing 28 kg tests, usually after a couple days off, where the test is centerpiece of the week. This dances dangerously close to the redlining problem and should be approached with caution. Rest is super important in taking advantage of this, I probably don't do enough. Even these tests don't compare to the last 90 seconds of my competition where I would normally have dropped the bells but knowing that I had three people who were looking at me, cheering for me, that I would disappoint (not really but that's what my brain said) pushed me through in a way I can't recreate and am not sure I want to for the reasons above. 

The flip side of this dilemma is the recognition that you will do a lot more volume, a lot more frequently in a training environment than a competition environment. Whether we are talking bike racing or kettlebell lifting, a consistent training program will have you working more often and longer than you can compete. The key is to take advantage of this flexibility. I'm no expert trainer so I may be fooling myself here but I think and hope I am doing that in my current programming. I'm alternating between very low volume, heavy sets and very high volume, lighter sets. The idea is that I can lift more weight day in a day and I can experience both halves of the worst parts of competition, the intensity and the volume but each as their own challenge. 

I guess, at the end of the day, we're all just doing what we can to train the best we can and we're all hoping for a better disciplined mind and body. There probably aren't any short cuts and when we see gaps, like the mental discipline aspect, we should figure out how to address them as directly as possible. Then we face the challenge of assembling all the pieces in time for competitions. 

10/14/2014
training
Long Cycle
  • 24 kg 37 reps
  • 24 kg 37 reps
  • 20 kg 17 reps

Notes:

I decided to celebrate double 24 kg sets by calling it a night. Also, it took about all I had to get through that. The 20 kg set ended early because I was so fatigued that my cleans were going slow. I went down and got out of rhythm and just found I didn't have the will to make the extra pull that it was going to take to get the bells back up. Despite the short workout. I'm happy with this set

The neck muscle pull didn't seem like a problem during this. I did lots of work on it after and it felt better. This am it's a bit stiff but not too bad. It's on the right side, close to my skull. I notice the strain if I tilt my head to the right (yep, same side as the discomfort) but not the left. Yesterday I noticed it when I rotated my head to the right but that appears to be gone today. Recovery is going well at this time.

Battle Log

10/15/2014

long cycle 20 kg 8 rpm 10:00

circuit 

back squat 120 kg

standing press 60 kg

kb snatch 24 kg

5->1

I decided to see how a fast pace did for long cycle. I stayed on track each minute at 8 reps. As I got to ten minutes my will gave out, my grip was tiring, my wind was out. I caved. I'm not unhappy with the result though.

Battle Log

10/16/2014

Thursday - off day, long walk with Laura and the dog.

10/17/2014

Friday - unplanned off day. I can't tell if I've been dealing with allergies all weak or the bug that is going around the office but I just found myself with no will to train and ample will to watch a movie (when I actually want to watch a movie, something is up). So we went grocery shopping and watched Dune.

10/18/2014

Super excited to get out to the gym...but instead we slept in, That's ok though, I made breakfast and went out to lift a couple hours later. I knew I was in trouble the moment I touched a bell. It was heavy, very heavy. I slogged through my warm up but started a set and got two minute in and just couldn't convince myselg to go. I set the bell down, rested several minutes, tried to reset my brain. Nope, two more minutes. I decided that I had a choice to make: make myself miserable and risk injury or call it. I called it.

10/19/2014

training:

long cycle 24 kg 6:00 40

6:00 off

long cycle 24 kg 5:00 30

7:00 off

long cycle 28 kg 2:00 13

2:00 off

long cycle 28 kg 1:00 6

circuit

24" box jump X 10

clap push up X 10

swing left 32 kg X 10

swing Righ 32 kg X 10

3 rounds

notes

worried but excited to get out there. Things felt really solid. I've mentioned the kettlebell trots before and that I get them when I haven't trained in a few days, well they hit in that second set of 24 kg. I went for the jerk and my guts shifted and my core was crap so I let the bells fall. I debated going back for a third set but didn't trust my guts. I debated 20 kg but that just sounded boring, 28 kg sounded like the thing for me. It felt really good.

The circuit went well. I quite with a lot left in the tank, more than I wanted. A stitch was starting to ache in my side and I didn't feel I could keep my moment but didn't want to take the time to shake it. I decided it as a mediocre workout and that would have to do.

One more week in this cycle. I need to make the best of it. I'm excited to complete two six minute sets with 24kg at least one more time. If I do it I'll do a third set with 24kg just to see how far I can take it. I don't think that I'll hit three full sets this cycle but I think I can get to 6, 6, 3 at least and hit all three in two cycles when I do that again.

I have some special music in mind for this week. I hope that I can find it tomorrow on youtube.

Battle Log

wrap up for last week:

Mediocre week at best. While I got my sport lifts in the first half of the week, I didn't get much accessory work done. The second half of the week I didn't even get all my sport lifts in. I think I may have been fighting the bug going around the office. Considering most people were out for a couple days, I guess I did ok. 

Work stress has kicked up in a very different way. It's hard to explain without details (which I'm not share because they are boring, not because they are proprietary) but some of my clients are considering bringing in a vendor to cover some BI needs. This whole need spawned from this client asking me to turn around an ridiculous amount of work in a ridiculous time. when I pointed out that our team is a shared resource and they couldn't monopolize our time. My suggestion at the time was that they fund several positions that would be dedicated to them but would mix with us to share technology and resources.

Now they are going about the formal process of seeking vendors. I was brought in as the BI consultant to tell them which vendors are worth it and which are not. As the conversation has gone one, my original proposal has reentered the fray but now with the backing of our entire IT department. I've been asked to build out a formal proposal. I submitted an informal one last week that is being share with some executive VP today. I'm essentially telling them that with a half a million dollars at my personal disposal and six months of time, I can stand up a team with the knowledge and resources to out perform most vendors. 

This is an amazing opportunity that someone at my level isn't really supposed to get. When I've sought the expertise of my leaders and peers, no one know how to do this correctly and they just keep saying that they'll try to help but that no one knows enough to do it except me. Fortunately the IT folks who deal with this kind of stuff normally are on my side and are helping me do the correct documents and make it look good and shiny. No matter how this goes, professionally, I'll look like a champ.

It is possible that the worst case scenario for me professionally is that I succeed. It may be better to be seen to have fought hard as the underdog but the closed minds of the business resisted than to actually have to prove out my concept and deal with hiring employees, signing contracts and so on. That said, I really think that this is doable and if we pull it off, my company will take a huge step towards being one of the most focused and intelligent retail pharmacies in the nation.

Long winded but I needed to get that off my chest. I'll be dealing with this (along side my usual stuff) for at least the next couple months.

This week

Monday: off

Tuesday: 24 kg long cycle, if I get two sets of the full 6 minutes, I will attempt a third to see what I can do

Wednesday: 20 kg long cycle 12:00

Thursday: off

Friday: 24 kg long cycle

Saturday: 20 kg long cycle

Sunday: make up or circuit

NOTE: this is the final week of this cycle. I need to make the most of it. Next week I will test and do a couple workouts then I will be taking a full week off. Like off, off, like I never do. I'm have a very minor, elective, outpatient procedure on the 31st and I'm supposed to not lift anything for 7-10 days.

Music

Battle Log

10/21/2014

Training

long cycle 

24 kg 6:00 38

rest 6:00

24 kg 3:00 19

rest 9:00

24 kg 1:00 6

rest 1:00

24 kg 2:00 13

rest 2

2:00

24 kg 3:00 20 

circuit

back squat 100 kg X 5

standing press 60 kg 5->1

turkish getup 24 kg 1

5 rounds

notes

I knew today would be a bit of a wild card. We did a charity event for work today so I spent my day putting in cabinets. I can't help but believe that this minor bit of labor was at least partially responsible for making my 6:00 set tough and second one not a possibility. I opted to do a later with 24 kg rather than going for the 20 kg bells. 

Tomorrow is due to be 20 kg for 12:00 but I'm considering doing 24 kg and seeing if I can take it to ten minutes. I'll decide on the fly tomorrow.

Battle Log

Common People has been stuck in my head for a couple of days now.

The Current played it Saturday night as I drove home from a friend's gaming birthday party. It got stuck there for me too

Congratulations on the career moves. I don't really understand the real world, but it sounds like people are recognizing your value.

No one understands the real world. I've had some amazingly lucky breaks in my wife. It drives my wife nuts because she worked her ass off in school to be valedictorian, I have to wait for spell check to even type it. I'm in the oddest niche imaginable with a background in both pharmacy and database reporting, getting to work in on of the few dozen jobs in the whole city that requires exactly that background. 

I've been lucky and cursed to be recognized for the past few years. Personally, I try to get in early and get out early, keep my head down and do good work. Much to the chagrin of my clients I insist that we treat our patients the way we expect our own information to e handled, meaning don't be sleazy and don't send a lot of garbage to them. I got in trouble once for calling a tactic "creepy" once, then Legal called it "creepy" without my prompting. Since then, I've been the guy keeping my company from screwing with your pharmacy info.

Now I've become the guy who understands the technical aspects of implementing the Affordable Care Act from a reporting standpoint. It's wasn't intentional, in fact, I tried to give it back to the co-worker who originally gave it up because I realized how career making it could be and felt like I was getting all the good stuff. He turned it down. Now, I'm getting my name and face all over the pharmacy department, at least at HQ. I hate being the linchpin of this thing but we can create some amazing opportunities for service if we own it. 

I imagine I'll have to scramble a fair bit in the coming months to keep up with this. I may even miss some workouts. I hate to say it but I really believe in this thing and am willing to make those sacrifices. That said, when it's all over, I really hope they let me go back to my cubicle and just be good at my job.

Battle Log

10/22/2014

long cycle

24 kg 4:00 25 reps

rest 6:00

20 kg 10:00 71 reps

mobility

circuit

box jump 24" 1->10

clap push up 1->10

swing 32 kg 1/1 - > 10/10

assisted handstand push up 1,2,3,4,5,3,4,2,1,5

total ten rounds ( one step on ladder each time)

notes

I decided to just see what I could do with the 24 kg bells, I didn't have 10 minutes in me. I could have pressed on for one or two more but not six more. I felt like I had quite a bit in the tank, I just wasn't up to the level I was trying to push myself to. I decided to see what I could do with 20s. They were ludicrously light but kept me working and sweating for the full ten minutes. This week I have really been trying to pay attention to where I'm struggling in each set. I have found that by really turning my focus inward I can find what's failing and tweak myself to get more reps. It doesn't mean I always get my goal for the night but I get closer. 

The handstands where a new addition to the circuit. I'm not quite sure what inspired me to see if I could do a handstand against my squat rack without tipping it but it worked just fine so with my legs touching the bar for a little guidance, I worked through the presses. It was a nice addition.

Tomorrow is off for workout. We've been trying to do a long walk on Thursdays and met with middling success. Not sure about tomorrow, I have a fair amount of cooking to do. 

Food has been worse than usual of late, just lots of social events and excuses to not pay attention to what or how much I am eating. It's on me to to better but I have not been investing in it.

Battle Log

10/25/2014

GPP 10:00 on (rest as needed), 2:00 to prepare for next set

Mountain Climbers 50/50 X 6

Turkish Getup 20 kg 5/5,4/4,1/1

One Arm KB Clean 32 kg 10/10 X 6

KB Snatch 24 kg -> Lunge 5/5 X 7

Thread the Needle 10/10 X 7

Before I started doing Kettlebell Sport work I did about a year and half of working with a local RKC to just improve my fitness and mobility (TC NFers, I will still vouch for this guy if you want someone to work with). He would send me a new workout every couple weeks and I would do it four or five times a week until I got a new one. The standard model was five exercises that I would do for ten minutes in whatever number of sets I wanted, with as much rest as I wanted. I found that if I didn't limit the time between sets I would sit for five or ten minutes between sets so I wen to 10 on, 2 off. With in a set I try to work the vast majority of the time. Between the rep schemes above I would usually take long enough to mark another hash on my dry erase board or maybe wipe my brow with a towel and get back at it.

The above is not specifically a program he wrote but was inspired by him. I wanted to go back and find an old program he had assigned and I had completed just to see how I compared after all this sport work with little GPP work. I didn't find one easily this morning so I decided to just cobble one together and go for it. This is made up of a few of my favorites, meaning exercises I liked but always struggled to keep doing through out the ten minutes.

As I explained to my wife after my workout, I always worry a bit that going so sport specific will lower my overall fitness. That I'll sacrifice my ability to twist, turn, get off the floor and other things in favor of my ability to do long cycle. While I signed up for some small amount of that when I decided to do sport, there are limits and if I someday find that my overall fitness has dropped and arbitrary amount (A determined by me freaking out) I will drop sport. However, today's little test suggests to me that my fears are baseless. I don't have a direct workout to compare to but looking at how I fared across the components, I'm good, I think that if anything I outperformed myself when I was specifically doing this kind of work.

• Like 1

Battle Log

Sunday 10/26 long cycle 29 kg 10:00

Wasn't feeling 100% going into these. got what I could and called it

Monday 10/27 off

Played Vasco da Gama, a game made famous when professional game reviewer Tom Vasel threw it off the roof of his house because he was tired trading games and boxes with dour men on the front in stuffy costumes. It lead to a (joke) tearful apology from his whole family. It's a decent game. Not amazing, not something everyone will want to play but it solid game for Brian and I to play. 

Tuesday 10/28 Test Day

long cycle 28 kg 30 reps

Battle Log

Last week wrap up

The week started with really solid workouts. I felt like it wrapped up a little weak. I hope to work on my consistency over time but I do feel like I'm doing good work.

Next week kick off

Transition week! I tested Tuesday, I'll do a GPP workout on Wednesday. I may get in a workout on Friday morning. Friday I'm headed to the doctor because Laura and I have decided after our miscarriage a couple months back that we don't feel like dealing with that again and we're good with our family size as it is. I'll be decommissioned for a week but will still be around and will be back to working out the second week of November.

Speaking of November, the holidays are upon us. I'm doing my best to plan around the family events but it will make training a little more broken than usual. I've done what I can to mitigate that but the best laid plans of mice and men....

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines