10/29/2014

Circuit (for my gamin nerds)

Box Jumps D20

Clap Push Ups D8

Heavy Swings D10

Jump Lunge D12

Handstand push up D6

5 rounds 

tended to roll high so lots of reps. I didn't grab a d4 when I grabbed my dice, hated that/

bought new ice packs and a small bottle of ibuprofen today

Fun way to do a circuit!

Wisdom 15.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 14  Constitution-11

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Fun way to do a circuit!

Thanks. it's a safe bet that you'll see it again. 

Using dice to pick your reps tips

1. Have a bunch of polyhedral dice
  2. come up with your exercise list
  3. the largest number on the die you will assign needs to be smaller than a the most you have ever done in a single set of the exercise
  4. you should be able to consistently do sets of the average number of the die
  5. after you have selected your exercises and dice, it's nice if you can have a variety of dice. If you have multiple exercises using the same size of dice, get two easily distinguishable dice
  6. roll all the dice and write down the results of your roll
  7. repeat for your prescribed number of rounds
  8. begin exercising

Barbarian of the Battle Logs

Battle Log

Thanks. it's a safe bet that you'll see it again. 

Using dice to pick your reps tips

1. Have a bunch of polyhedral dice
  2. come up with your exercise list
  3. the largest number on the die you will assign needs to be smaller than a the most you have ever done in a single set of the exercise
  4. you should be able to consistently do sets of the average number of the die
  5. after you have selected your exercises and dice, it's nice if you can have a variety of dice. If you have multiple exercises using the same size of dice, get two easily distinguishable dice
  6. roll all the dice and write down the results of your roll
  7. repeat for your prescribed number of rounds
  8. begin exercising

I will try this sounds fun. Might do it next week with BW exercises, since I'm using that week as a gear up for the challenge

Elastigirl:Just Living Life , Part II - Current Challenge: February 14 to March 20 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Laura got nervous about the permanence of vasectomy so I find myself with a weekend with no plans...interesting.

I'll almost certainly hit the gym tomorrow and Sunday. I guess I'm glad to not miss a week of training but I feel like I'm just kicking that can down the road.

I've gotten very boardgame obsessy lately. My gaming partner picked up two games, one that I would describe as great and one I would call pretty good. It got me in the mood to mind another great game to add to our rotation. It doesn't help that I haven't bought a game in months, probably since my birthday in July. I game with a group of guys who constantly complain about having no game budget but seem to have new stuff every single week. 

I've also begun to think about next year's goals. One very clear one is to earn my CMS in a kettlebell meet. This year I challenged myself to play 250 games and was done by July. This year I'm thinking of taking the 10X10 challenge that is popular on boardgamegeek, to play ten games ten times but do it for twenty games. This year I challenged myself to read 20 books and I've got 18 done already, two to go so I should be good to complete that. I'm not sure I'll do a reading goal next year, I felt like it worked great for novels but some of the science books I wanted to read got shoved aside in favor of getting my book count up.

No idea what else to goal myself on. I'd like to drop to 85 kg but I'm hesitant to goal myself on that specifically because it's going to put me in the teens of bodyfat and be hard to maintain. I may not even want to maintain it. I've been financially disciplined this year. I don't sleep enough but I don't foresee myself changing that. I'd take input from anyone who has ideas

Anyway, last total rest day before I start up the next cycle.

Battle Log

Fun idea to make a gameboard goal. Made me wonder how many games I'll play next year? My son (living at home  temporarily) bought Dominion and we've been playing it a bunch.Then we have some friends we get together with and play games too.

My son (living at home  temporarily) bought Dominion and we've been playing it a bunch.

heh, have you seen the expansions yet? I've played a few of them but not nearly all. That is the game that launched an entire mechanism (deck building as a mechanism is generally acknowledged as starting with Dominion). The good news is, there is plenty of play in that base game.

also, happy halloween:

Battle Log

Random story from today

I'm not quite sure the right order to tell this in but here we go. I've been a highschool wrestler, I've been a bodybuilder (albeit not an impressive one), a powerlifter, strongman and now a girevoy. Across all that my weight has gone from 140lbs up to 270+ and down to 200. As a result I have no functional body image. I can't tell if I look different than other people and I can't tell how. I can't tell if I'm fat or athletic or average. 

I haven't owned a sport coat in a few years, in the past I didn't fit very well into them, real tight in the biceps and upper back. My wife had read that J. Crew had a new line of sport coats that were cut to fit men with bigger chests and arms. Great! As we were leaving I got this weird sense of foreboding that I wouldn't fit in the jacket, that my belly would be too big and I would suddenly have to cope with the fact that I was really fat and not nearly as fit as I thought I might be.

We got to the store and they didn't have the new suit line. We asked a saleswoman and she said that it was online only but that her husband and sons were built like me and they could wear the jackets of the old line (the one in store ) just fine, just not the pants. I was wearing an XL hooded sweatshirt that fits me more like a blanket than clothing but she's a clothing sales person so she probably has an eye for these things. 

As I removed my sweatshirt to try on the jacket, I hear from behind me "oh, boy" in an exasperated tone. "Stop lifting weights", a bit of joke to her voice. She had me wait while she went and got a bigger jacket. As it turned out, the jacket fit great. Apparently a Ludlow 44R is just what I needed. I got a great new jacket and what felt like a very non-deliberate compliment. Also, I didn't find that my belly was too big, it was just right.

Battle Log

heh, have you seen the expansions yet? I've played a few of them but not nearly all. That is the game that launched an entire mechanism (deck building as a mechanism is generally acknowledged as starting with Dominion). The good news is, there is plenty of play in that base game.

also, happy halloween:

He bought several expansions too. Which is fun, but at first I was totally overwhelmed. He had us start with the base plus a couple and I was getting frustrated because I couldn't figure out any strategy (why, yes I am competitive :redface-new: )Then we went to the base and just played it, and are now adding the expansions back in. He decided that buying the game sets was going to be his first paycheck splurge, and I heartily approved of that decision. :) 

Yeah, I think that happens to a lot of people. I usually try to introduce the base game then the base game plus a new card or two and so on. The learning curve per expansion varies (as I'm sure you have seen). My friend and I tend to play only one expansion at a time now. We find that if we mix more than two there are no synergies to make it interesting.

Battle Log

Yeah, I think that happens to a lot of people. I usually try to introduce the base game then the base game plus a new card or two and so on. The learning curve per expansion varies (as I'm sure you have seen). My friend and I tend to play only one expansion at a time now. We find that if we mix more than two there are no synergies to make it interesting.

My son had played it before, but we hadn't. I like it best with about one expansion too. Hoping to get a chance to play tonight

• Like 1

I hope you found something enjoyable to do with your plans free weekend.

As to your random story, I can't believe you were worried about your belly being too big. Have you looked at the people around you recently? Go the the mall if you want to feel skinny. I'm pretty skinny and I have a hard time getting shirts that are comfortable on the shoulders. With all of your overhead work I am surprised you don't have to custom order your shirts and coats.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

My son had played it before, but we hadn't. I like it best with about one expansion too. Hoping to get a chance to play tonight

Did yu get your game on? How was it?

I hope you found something enjoyable to do with your plans free weekend.

As to your random story, I can't believe you were worried about your belly being too big. Have you looked at the people around you recently? Go the the mall if you want to feel skinny. I'm pretty skinny and I have a hard time getting shirts that are comfortable on the shoulders. With all of your overhead work I am surprised you don't have to custom order your shirts and coats.

I watched two whole movies: Captain America 2 and Alien. We were going to go see Guardians of the Galaxy but it didn't work out. 

I'll be the first to say that the weight thing isn't rational. My wife is firmly in your camp. In a weird way I don't know what I look like. Despite shaving everyday, when I got my new driver's license, my first thought was that they had made a mistake, That guy wasn't me. I almost brought it up before realizing, nope that's me, I crinkle my eyes like that when I smile and there is the dark spot in my smile where I have  broken tooth. 

Academically, I know that the last pair of pants I bought were 32s and they fit me fine. I still look at guys in the elevator and read their pants size and ask myself, is that what I look like? I really don't know. When I see a picture where I'm in the group, I struggle to find myself, when I do I think that I look silly. I described my most recent one to my wife as, "I'm all shoulders and shaved head, I look weird".

It's not a big deal, it doesn't impact my health directly and I'm not hung up enough on my appearance to lost sleep over it. It does sometimes spark weird moments of anxiety when it comes to clothes shopping. Despite the fact that I never thought of myself as fat, I feel like a weird kind of trespasser when I buy "normal" clothes.

Also, if you think my shoulders are big, you should see my legs. Jeans are a serious problem.

11/2/2014

workout 

long cycle 28 kg 2:00 on/1:00 off

1. 12
  2. 12
  3. 0 - see notes
  4. 11
  5. 6 1:00
  6. 5 1:00

super set

back squat 100 kg X 5

standing press 60 kg X 5

5 rounds

circuit - see notes

• thruster
  • push up
  • hand stand push up
  • push up
  • swing 32 kg

row 5 km 20:00

Notes

• long cycle - I decided to try out a new exercise break down, two minutes on with one minute off. I found a profile in my phone that I had clearly labeled as 2:00 on, 1:00 off so I fired it up. I did my two minutes, felt good, took a break. Before I knew it, it was time to go again. Went again but felt failure creeping in. The third round came around and I was thoroughly unprepared. I sat out round three and realized that when the round ended, the clock didn't tick over to one minute, it went to thirty seconds. Oops. I reset it for a minute and started again. Limited success finishing out the exercise. I think I'll keep it in for this next round though
  • Circuit - today I tried and experiment. I've been working on a spreadsheet of circuit lifts to roll dice for. I decided to take the randomness a level further and let it choose the actual exercises then choose the reps. Lady luck was a fan of pressing today. I got hosed with two sets of push up with a set of handstand push ups between. It was ridiculous. A smarter man would have started over. I'm not that man. 
  • between rounds of the circuit I was looking for another lift to play with that was pulling, rather than pressing. I stumbled across an old favorite, the V-bar deadlift. I shot a quick video, enjoy.

Battle Log

I watched two whole movies: Captain America 2 and Alien. We were going to go see Guardians of the Galaxy but it didn't work out. 

I'll be the first to say that the weight thing isn't rational. My wife is firmly in your camp. In a weird way I don't know what I look like. Despite shaving everyday, when I got my new driver's license, my first thought was that they had made a mistake, That guy wasn't me. I almost brought it up before realizing, nope that's me, I crinkle my eyes like that when I smile and there is the dark spot in my smile where I have  broken tooth. 

Academically, I know that the last pair of pants I bought were 32s and they fit me fine. I still look at guys in the elevator and read their pants size and ask myself, is that what I look like? I really don't know. When I see a picture where I'm in the group, I struggle to find myself, when I do I think that I look silly. I described my most recent one to my wife as, "I'm all shoulders and shaved head, I look weird".

It's not a big deal, it doesn't impact my health directly and I'm not hung up enough on my appearance to lost sleep over it. It does sometimes spark weird moments of anxiety when it comes to clothes shopping. Despite the fact that I never thought of myself as fat, I feel like a weird kind of trespasser when I buy "normal" clothes.

Also, if you think my shoulders are big, you should see my legs. Jeans are a serious problem.

11/2/2014

workout 

1. 12
  2. 12
  3. 0 - see notes
  4. 11

super set

back squat 100 kg X 5

standing press 60 kg X 5

5 rounds

circuit - see notes

• thruster
  • push up
  • hand stand push up
  • push up
  • swing 32 kg

Notes

• long cycle - I decided to try out a new exercise break down, two minutes on with one minute off. I found a profile in my phone that I had clearly labeled as 2:00 on, 1:00 off so I fired it up. I did my two minutes, felt good, took a break. Before I knew it, it was time to go again. Went again but felt failure creeping in. The third round came around and I was thoroughly unprepared. I sat out round three and realized that when the round ended, the clock didn't tick over to one minute, it went to thirty seconds. Oops. I reset it for a minute and started again. Limited success finishing out the exercise. I think I'll keep it in for this next round though
  • Circuit - today I tried and experiment. I've been working on a spreadsheet of circuit lifts to roll dice for. I decided to take the randomness a level further and let it choose the actual exercises then choose the reps. Lady luck was a fan of pressing today. I got hosed with two sets of push up with a set of handstand push ups between. It was ridiculous. A smarter man would have started over. I'm not that man. 
  • between rounds of the circuit I was looking for another lift to play with that was pulling, rather than pressing. I stumbled across an old favorite, the V-bar deadlift. I shot a quick video, enjoy.

11/2/2014

workout 

1. 12
  2. 12
  3. 0 - see notes
  4. 11

super set

back squat 100 kg X 5

standing press 60 kg X 5

5 rounds

circuit - see notes

• thruster
  • push up
  • hand stand push up
  • push up
  • swing 32 kg

Notes

Yes, we had time for one game. Ha, my son has an actual life besides his parents, so I practically had to beg for a game and then  he had a deadline because he was going to do an online game with his friends. :D We had fun, I lost, but it was close and I good game. Expansion pack was something like Seafarers.

On your workouts- so you actually did two circuits with only a 30 second break, pretty impressive. And I think I'm going to do the random dice game tomorrow, but not with the exercises- I think I'm smarter than that. ;) 

Last week wrap up and this week transition.

Last week was a good transition week with a  good long cycle test. I'm excited to step into my heavier work this week.

This week I hope to get in five days of training, four kettlebell and one of just GPP. I'm struggling a bit with what to do on the day when I'm not doing 28kg work. I'm considering attempting a single 10 minutes set with 24 kg at a 6RPM pace on those days.

I had this song picked out when I thought I would be out for the week. I still want to share it

And this is my tribute to daylight savings time.

Battle Log

11/04/2014

bodyweight 205.7

training

long cycle 28 kg 2:00 on, 1:00 off

1. 10
  2. 10
  3. 10
  4. 11
  5. off
  6. 6 - only 1 minute

back squat 80 kg 20 reps

notes

• first time with this long cycle set. I'm relatively happy with the results and think it will help me progress toward ten minutes of long cycle with the 28s. 
  • Bodyweight has been on the rise. Striving for sub 200.0 at new year to set me up for final push to 185 next year.
  • mobility was bad yesterday so I did a lot of work on that
  • When I herniated my disc years ago, I damaged my sciatic nerve, the motor control part. As a result my left calf never stops twitching and I occasionally get really bad calf cramps. I haven't had a cramp in a while but one hit me last night while I was sleeping. Ruins a night of sleep and I'm still working the soreness out. May impact training today, may not.
  • Gave $20 to John Lesko to buy his plane ticket to IUKL Worlds. KB Girl will get to see him lift, after she kicks ass that is.

Battle Log

11/05/20q4

bodyweight: 2014.1

workout 

long cycle 24 kg

7:00, 40 reps

notes

this workout was a big pile of poop. I wanted to see what I could do of a ten minute set, thinking I could get eight minutes or better. I didn't have it in me. I tried to do some GPP to follow but no motivation existed, I was feeling achy an crappy. I decided that the right choice was to walk away. I'll take tomorrow off and come back Friday having recalibrated a little bit.

Battle Log

10 minute sets are tough.  It taxes the body in some many different ways - mentally, physically, nervous system wise. I see them in my training plan heading into a comp, but there are definitely times when I don't see them at all.  When I do see them I am often building up to them and then I would have them about once a week.  One of the methods for me to reach 10 min has been a "broken" 10, that is 5 min set, 2 min rest, and then another 5 min set.   

Since you told me what long cycle is I've thought you insane. I mean that as a back ass compliment to your mental toughness.

Also, I liked the Lazy Song. I never heard it before. It made my day better.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Solstice Challenge

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

10 minute sets are tough.  It taxes the body in some many different ways - mentally, physically, nervous system wise. I see them in my training plan heading into a comp, but there are definitely times when I don't see them at all.  When I do see them I am often building up to them and then I would have them about once a week.  One of the methods for me to reach 10 min has been a "broken" 10, that is 5 min set, 2 min rest, and then another 5 min set.   

Ten minute sets are brutal. I wasn't sure I'd get all the way there but thought I'd fare better than I did. I'm going to call it an off day but who knows. I'll try another set in a week or two. 

Since you told me what long cycle is I've thought you insane. I mean that as a back ass compliment to your mental toughness.

Also, I liked the Lazy Song. I never heard it before. It made my day better.

Long Cycle is easy, lots of long cycle is hard :)

I love that song. I rarely remember to listen to it but when I do, it sets me to snickering.

10/07/2014 (Friday)

ok, no workout. Partially, I still wasn't feeling it after Wednesday but partially because I had a heck of a day, a great day but I was done. I have a group of people with whom I play boardgames most days at lunch. A couple of times in the past we have met at Fantasy Flight for a day of gaming. That was the plan for Friday but we found out Wednesday that they were closing their open gaming space for three days. A couple of the guys were pulling for cancellation or postponement, I was not. I, instead, offerred that they come here. That's wha we settled on. So four of us play games from abou 9 until about 4 at my house. We had beer and pizza and other awful-goodness. 

10/08/2014

long cycle 28 kg x 2 2:00 on, 1:00 off

1. 11
  2. 10
  3. 11
  4. 5 (only 1 minute)
  5. 11
  6. 7 (only 1 minute)

I did some snatches and a bunch of mobility and called it a workout

Notes:

back when Laura was in grad school she taught another girl Opera lessons. That girl is still trying to have a career of it (a super hard thing to do in the arts and especially opera) and had an audition in Minneapolis Saturday. She asked to come stay with us for her 20 hour visit to Minneapolis. We picked her up at 9. We went on got food, showed her around a bit, went for a couple walks (she didn't want to go back to sleep before her 4 pm audition). While she went for the audition I took about 45 minutes to get some work done. Then we went out for dinner together and called it a very early night since she had been up for about 17 hours at that point and we needed to take her to the airport in about six more hours.

10/09/2015

long cycle 24 kg x 2

5 minutes 29 reps

4:00 off

4:00 23 reps

3:00 off

3:00 16 reps

2:00 off

2:00 16 reps

1:00 off

1:00 6 reps

circuit 

snatch 20 kg 10/10

burpee 10

16 kg x 2 thrusts 5

5 rounds

cool down

notes

a decent workout, I'm pretty sure I tried this ladder before but I need to look it up. I don't think I finished.

I know everyone is moving on to new challenge threads. I'll try to start one tomorrow.

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines