The Courtyard (Monk's General Chat Thread)

RisenPhoenix

Anyone else practice Kung Fu?

Yo!

So Northern Shaolin? Could you be more specific? Do you mean Chang Chuan/Long Fist? Or do you have another name? There are lots of systems out there that claim Shaolin as their parent art. I do elements of a Northern system called Bai Xing Chuan. I don't study the entire system (not sure anyone does anymore). There are parts of it that are incorporated into the beginning phase of my system.  

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

I just need to put this somewhere to share.  Because what's better than sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads?

ulx42kx96fyrijjvbuu0.gif

TYRANNOSAURUS REXES WITH LASER BEAMS ON THEIR HEADS!

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix is an Avatar

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Hey monks, Teirin said I should drop by!

I'm Kyellan, and I'm over with the Level 1 Rebels currently, working on my first 6-week challenge. My eventual goal is to either form or join a HEMA group--I'm a longsword man, and I think I might have been born one. I've been eternally fascinated with medieval European weaponry, tactics, logistics, ever since I was a kid. Now that I've finally isolated and conquered the medical problem that's been holding me back for years, I think I finally have an opportunity to live out my dream and practice some real longsword work.

Right now I'm working on learning basic foot- and blade-work from Fiore (via Guy Windsor, a respected author and practitioner in the field), but my ultimate desire is to study Lichtenauer and the German school. 

I think I envision myself long-term as sort of a Monk/Ranger hybrid here. In my head, I call it a Knight. =)

Great to meet you all!

Welcome!!  Can't believe I missed another sword guy!  Glad to have you here! 

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I just need to put this somewhere to share.  Because what's better than sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads?

ulx42kx96fyrijjvbuu0.gif

TYRANNOSAURUS REXES WITH LASER BEAMS ON THEIR HEADS!

Tyrannosaurs_in_F-14s.png

• Like 1

The cancer was aggressive, but the chemotherapy was aggressive, as well.

There was aggression on both sides. 

I think I envision myself long-term as sort of a Monk/Ranger hybrid here. In my head, I call it a Knight. =)

Great to meet you all!

See-lee English Kaaaaa-niiigggits!!!!! I blow my nose at you!  :playful:

Just kidding. I had never heard the term HEMA until you mentioned it. So, I went ahead and looked it up. Thanks for broadening my horizons. I'm strictly Asian arts myself, but there is plenty of room here for anyone practicing the combative arts. So, c'mon in and join the party. 

Level 8 Half-Elven Ninja (3 Assassin/5 Monk)

[sTR 15.5] [DEX 13] [CON 10] [sTA 13] [WIS 19] [CHA 9]

"With great power there must also come great responsibility" - Amazing Fantasy #15

"Pressure makes diamonds." - Gen. George S. Patton

about.me/daniel.mccarthy Follow my blog

MMA instructor said again that I've made tons of improvement on my balance, my form is terrific, my power is good and I shinkick like I'm swinging a baseball bat. ETA: Also, we made a discovery about me and switch kicks.  Normally I'm slow with them, my body just doesn't want to shuffle quite like that.  By doing less of a switchstep and more of a lunge, I can execute a GREAT switch kick, and do it from about two feet farther back.  FLYING SWITCH KICK. 

However, I still have the cardio of a seventy year old. Also,, I bruised both my baseball bats.

• Like 1

After last night's class, which was 100% kick based, he modified his comments slightly, down to "At least we know where your deficiencies are, and we can work on them better!" Also almost blew out my knee during the stretches, because you CAN'T say you 'can't' do something... you have to try.  So I tried.  And then spent half an hour unable to put weight on my right knee.  The third half hour was pretty awesome, though.  After not trying for the last... 22 years? I've discovered I can do a passable round-off.  Who knew.

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines