• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

[Phoenix Burning] Second Verse, Same as the First

Last challenge went really well, and since I am still training for my "Port City Battleship Half-Marathon" on Nov 2 (Sunday following the conclusion of the challenge), I have decided, "If it's not Baroque, don't fix it".  So, with a few minor adaptations, I present the second verse of my half-marathon training song.

Main Quest:  Be Extraordinary

I am on a quest to be more extraordinary, starting with (finally) conquering an item that has been on my bucket list for a while now:  the Half Marathon.   I have 7 weeks remaining to whip myself into shape.

Step One:  Run (duh)

emmett-jumping-jacks-o.gif

In the next six weeks, I need to increase my long run from the current 9.5 miles accomplished last challenge to 14 miles.  Why am I running 14 miles when a half marathon is only 13.1?  Because I'm nuts.  And because if I have already run 14, 13.1 will seem easy.  At least that's my logic.

Step Two:  "Come with me if you want to not die."

giphy.gif

I don't want to forget my Assassin roots, and I'm not all legs, so I want to spend at least an hour a week on upper body/core stuff.  I just bought a set of parallettes, and I would like to try out the free Beginner Parallettes program from GMB.  However, since the Half-Marathon is priority, if the program is too intense, I will sub other activities like swimming, yoga, etc with no loss of points.  There is always next challenge (post-race) to pursue parallettes in a more focused manner.

Step Three:  Forget what others are doing.  Embrace what is special about you.  - Vitruvius

The mobility sitting idea from last challenge was a good one, I just need to get back on track with it.  So, back on 20 minutes a day in any combination of these positions:

I got really lazy about this one, and in week 3, it became obvious that doing some leg strengthening to reduce knee pain is higher priority.  So, for weeks 4-6 the goal is MovNat MOD 2/week.

• Stepping Over x 8: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under x 8: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting Reverse x 16: Alternating sides
  • Squat x 16: Hold at the bottom and bounce softly a few times before standing up.
  • Split Squat x 8: Switch Sides
  • Deep Knee Bend x 8
  • Deep Knee Bend Stances x 8: 10 second hold
  • Deep Kneeling to Tall Kneeling x 8: Shift bodyweight backward as your knees go to the ground.
  • Deep Knee Bend to Deep Half-Kneeling x 8: Switch sides.

Side Quest:  Weight Loss PvP with Grizzy

I still have 3 weeks left of the Weight Loss PvP, so I will be sticking with that.   I'm  on quite a roll right now, so hopefully it will go well.

In Conclusion

105095-LEGO-movie-Emmet-gif-Imgur-I-t-oQ

1.  Increase long run mileage to 14 miles

2.  Upper body/core workouts 1 hour/week

3.  Mobility sitting 20 minutes/day  MovNat MOD 2/week

4.  Weight Loss PvP

Woohoo!  Everything is awesome....

Edited by Phoenix Burning
  • Like 5

Woot! I know you'll KILL that marathon.

My challenge is up in the adventurers this time. Siggy link will get you there! Come say hi, no one has responded yet and it makes me sad.

• Like 2

I had to look up what parallettes are, and they look intimidating but fun!

And I have a confession to make -- I lurked around your challenge thread a lot last time. The Lego Movie theme and your challenge were/are just too, well, AWESOME!!! I was just too shy to ever really comment, feeling like I had to stay with the other Level 1's. ^^;;;; I know better now but still, now I can shamelessly follow you~

• Like 3

I love the Be Extraordinary Goal. I used that little motto a few Challenges back and it was really very motivating. Excited to watch you work more magic :)

• Like 2

I'm with Kailer...I LOVE the Be Extraordinary goal!  Maybe I will incorporate that into my BE....

3662112-unstoppable_t_rex_by_psycho_the_

goal!  Ha ha!  Good luck!  I'm excited to follow your progress!

• Like 1

Ooo I look forward to following you!

And I, you! Half marathons for everybody!

Woot! I know you'll KILL that marathon.

My challenge is up in the adventurers this time. Siggy link will get you there! Come say hi, no one has responded yet and it makes me sad.

Adventurers, huh? Well, if you add monks and druids, you'll have covered all the guilds. *goes to check out challenge*

This sounds like the double decker couch, awesome.

I hope so. I really want to shake off the half marathon jinx that has been following me for the past two years.

I had to look up what parallettes are, and they look intimidating but fun!

And I have a confession to make -- I lurked around your challenge thread a lot last time. The Lego Movie theme and your challenge were/are just too, well, AWESOME!!! I was just too shy to ever really comment, feeling like I had to stay with the other Level 1's. ^^;;;; I know better now but still, now I can shamelessly follow you~

Hello and welcome! A fellow half marathoner is always welcome.

The awesome thing about parallettes is that they LOOK super impressive, but in fact they make feats like pushups, L-sits, and handstands a little easier than they are on the floor. (Straight vs bent wrists, slight elevation, more clearance for head/legs, etc), Double win!

Looking good! 

Following the awesomeness for round 2 

(dances in front of computer to everything is awesome song) no really I am, no one can see me. Its awesome.

Hi, Kiwi! How is the hatching going?

I love the Be Extraordinary Goal. I used that little motto a few Challenges back and it was really very motivating. Excited to watch you work more magic :)

Yes, I've discovered that the idea of being able to do extraordinary things is way more motivating than "I want to be skinny". I do much better when I aim for the stars.
  • Like 1

The awesome thing about parallettes is that they LOOK super impressive, but in fact they make feats like pushups, L-sits, and handstands a little easier than they are on the floor. (Straight vs bent wrists, slight elevation, more clearance for head/legs, etc), Double win!

I'll have to give them a try sometime, and I can't wait to see what you do with them!

• Like 2

Adventurers, huh? Well, if you add monks and druids, you'll have covered all the guilds.

I may have to do that, just for the fun & giggles. I really should get back into yoga... Though I have no desire to do martial arts again, at the moment.

Hey PB...

If you're on LoseIt...

*will you be my friend there.* pleeeeeeeeeeease

Assuming I still have the right email from last year, I sent you a friend invite.

I may have to do that, just for the fun & giggles. I really should get back into yoga... Though I have no desire to do martial arts again, at the moment.

Between the two of us, we almost have them all covered. I have done Monks, but not Druids, Warriors, or Rangers.

THE END IS NEAR!!!

The end of summer, that is. I woke up to overcast skies and temps in the upper 60s this morning, which is nearly perfect running weather IMHO. I ran my usual weekday maintenance run of 30 minutes. 11-miler planned for Friday. Eep!

• Like 2

That's my favorite kind of running weather, too. The best part of summer ending. :)

And eee, good luck on your 11-miler!! Go, fight, win!!  :encouragement:

I always get excited to run in cool weather, unlike my dad and my former running partner, who feel that sweating is an integral part of fitness. I can live without it entirely.

hello! Following for running inspiration, good luck and be extraordinary!

Helloooo! And thanks, I'll do my best.
  • Like 1

11 miler! Good luck, my dear! May the force be ever in your favour. :D

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

• Like 1