• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

[Phoenix Burning] Second Verse, Same as the First

Good luck on that 11 mile run. Wow! I can't wait to be there someday. My better half ran a 10 this past Saturday. I'm jealous. ;)

The weather is perfect right now, and even my measly 2 milers are getting easier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Let me not be the last one to praise your extraordinary goal, although if I may say -- you haven't got far to go!

And half marathon's for everybody? I might have to take your up on that.  :)

• Like 1

I am loving the fall weather lately. 50s_70s is my favorite.

Mine, too. I can't wait to start rocking my boots!

11 miler! Good luck, my dear! May the force be ever in your favour. :D

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Thanks! May the force be with you!

Good luck on that 11 mile run. Wow! I can't wait to be there someday. My better half ran a 10 this past Saturday. I'm jealous. ;)

The weather is perfect right now, and even my measly 2 milers are getting easier.

You'll get there. I only run about two miles for my maintenance runs, so that is where you start! Nothing measly about it.

Let me not be the last one to praise your extraordinary goal, although if I may say -- you haven't got far to go!

And half marathon's for everybody? I might have to take your up on that.  :)

Aw, thanks! And let me know if you do, so I can cheer you on.

Parallettes today. For the record, the goal workout is this:

Warm-up

Planks 5x5s

Push-ups 5x5

Dips 5x5

Jump Through 5x5

Full Swing 5x5

Tuck/L-Sit 5x5s

Flow Routine (opt)

Cooldown

Mine, because I have limp noodle arms, went like this:

Warm-up

Planks 5x5s

Pushups 0, Knee Pushups with limited range of motion 3x5, Counter height pushups 1x5, Hip Height Pushups 1x5

Dips 5x5

Jump Through, limited range of motion 3x3

Full Swing 0

Tuck Single Leg 7x5s

Cool down

Not sure if it is better to do limited range pushups or increase the incline until I am stronger. Thoughts?

Also, I skipped the Full Swing since it is really a move built up from the jump through, which I cannot do yet.

It's humbling not to even be able to do one rep on some of these. I have to remind myself not to get discouraged. If I could already do this stuff, it wouldn't be a challenge goal. Looking forward to noob gains!

• Like 1

It's humbling not to even be able to do one rep on some of these. I have to remind myself not to get discouraged. If I could already do this stuff, it wouldn't be a challenge goal. Looking forward to noob gains!

That's how I felt about my strength regime yesterday. I felt pathetic for some of the weights I was using, but then, it's a challenge for a reason and it's how we get stronger. And it's fantastic you have a end-goal for parallettes... even if temporary until you can do it anyway. ^_^

I always get excited to run in cool weather, unlike my dad and my former running partner, who feel that sweating is an integral part of fitness. I can live without it entirely.

The only downfall I'm running into when it comes to cool weather is that I don't always bring the workout clothes to work appropriate for it. I mean, I know there's the whole, "But you'll warm up during your run!" mentality, but sometimes it's just too cold when you're starting out if all you have available are the things you wear for 80-90 degree heat. And I agree; while sweating does make me feel like I had an intense workout, it doesn't mean I like to sweat, especially when I'm wearing sunblock and it starts dripping into my eyes, ugh. I can feel just as satisfied without the sweat as with it!

• Like 3

That's how I felt about my strength regime yesterday. I felt pathetic for some of the weights I was using, but then, it's a challenge for a reason and it's how we get stronger. And it's fantastic you have a end-goal for parallettes... even if temporary until you can do it anyway. ^_^

The only downfall I'm running into when it comes to cool weather is that I don't always bring the workout clothes to work appropriate for it. I mean, I know there's the whole, "But you'll warm up during your run!" mentality, but sometimes it's just too cold when you're starting out if all you have available are the things you wear for 80-90 degree heat. And I agree; while sweating does make me feel like I had an intense workout, it doesn't mean I like to sweat, especially when I'm wearing sunblock and it starts dripping into my eyes, ugh. I can feel just as satisfied without the sweat as with it!

My end goal for this workout is just the beginning of parallettes training, but baby steps!

And, yus, to finding it difficult to dress for this weather, especially for long runs when the temperature may alter significantly from start to finish. A race I did last March, I started out in pants, long sleeve thermal shirt, T-shirt, jacket, hat and gloves and I was still miserably cold waiting for the start. By the end 2.5 hours later), I was in just the T-shirt and pants and wishing there was something else to take off. (Although shirt and jacket tied around my waist probably contributed to that feeling).

• Like 1

My end goal for this workout is just the beginning of parallettes training, but baby steps!

And, yus, to finding it difficult to dress for this weather, especially for long runs when the temperature may alter significantly from start to finish. A race I did last March, I started out in pants, long sleeve thermal shirt, T-shirt, jacket, hat and gloves and I was still miserably cold waiting for the start. By the end 2.5 hours later), I was in just the T-shirt and pants and wishing there was something else to take off. (Although shirt and jacket tied around my waist probably contributed to that feeling).

A couple of years ago I saw removable sleeves that I bought for a friend as a Secret Santa gift. They're like gloves but without the hand part, and you can easily slip them off when you get hot and they're thin enough (thermal insulation is what gets them to work) that you can stuff them in a pocket so you're not running with them. I wonder if I can find them again; it's annoying having to wear a bunch of stuff you're just going to wind up carrying! (I use a long sleeve Underarmor for cold long runs since they're pretty good and keeping you cool if you get too hot, but even then, sometimes......)

• Like 2

Was feeling bored and munchy, but didn't have the calories to spare, so I thought I would earn some by walking instead of driving to the grocery store. With my 3-year-old, however, a "walk" is barely discernable from sprint intervals. An hour later, we are back and I don't even feel like eating the calories I earned. Double win!

• Like 3

Was feeling bored and munchy, but didn't have the calories to spare, so I thought I would earn some by walking instead of driving to the grocery store. With my 3-year-old, however, a "walk" is barely discernable from sprint intervals. An hour later, we are back and I don't even feel like eating the calories I earned. Double win!

Woooooaaaah!!!

"This message was brought to you by my fingers which were activated by the electrical signals sent from my brain through a network of nerves and ganglia".

• Like 1

I have heard of those! It maybe a good investment for my Half, too since November weather is a grab bag here.

Oooh, definitely! I'm considering it for my October Half. I hope they still sell them!!

Removable sleeves? I need this!!!

It looks awesome! Never tried it myself, but do want!!

Ok, ladies, I did a quick amazon search and found these in a variety of brands, colors, and sizes. They do exist!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HDBZT6O?cache=002c31be11dd4aa110fd389817835862π=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1410910195&sr=8-8#

Fantastic! And probably cheaper than at the running store, too. Will have to make this purchase. :D

Also, I officially registered for the Half!

WOOOOO!! Go get 'em!

• Like 1

Ok, ladies, I did a quick amazon search and found these in a variety of brands, colors, and sizes. They do exist!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00HDBZT6O?cache=002c31be11dd4aa110fd389817835862Ï€=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&qid=1410910195&sr=8-8#

Yay!!

I will have to pick up some of these eventually as well!

Also, yay for the half! I have to find one next year around this time and set up a reminder to sign up!

• Like 1

Yay!!

I will have to pick up some of these eventually as well!

Also, yay for the half! I have to find one next year around this time and set up a reminder to sign up!

Time your Half wisely to account for when you are doing your longest runs. A September half means long runs in the summer. I chose November so my longest runs would be in the fall. To each their own with hot/cold running preference, and sometimes you like a particular race regardless of timing, but just something to take into consideration.
  • Like 2

Beautiful weather this morning, so I walked my son to school and came back nicely warmed up for parallettes training.

Warmup

Planks 5x5s

Pushups, hip height 5,5,3

Dips 5x5

Modified Jump Through 5x5

Single Leg Tuck 5x5s

Cool down

Much better today. My hands are already toughening up. Jump through was much better. I decided to modify the pushups since I can't even do one at parallettes height. Worked to failure, just short of 3 sets. I will lower the incline as I improve.

• Like 2

My 11mile run went spectacularly. It was a gorgeous morning, and I felt so good, I took 1.5 minutes off my pace and still felt pretty strong at the end, except that my knee was kinda bugging me the very last mile. I ran so fast, in fact, that 11 miles only took about 6 minutes longer than 9.5 miles two weeks ago. Gotta watch my form better at that pace, though, if I want to avoid a return of ITBS.

I feel awesome!

• Like 4