• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Phoenix Burning

[Phoenix Burning] Second Verse, Same as the First

And a great run too! Such inner strength, much wow.

This message was brought to you by "my five fingers and co."backed up by, "the jolt of electrical signals from my brain speeding through a network of nerves and ganglia".

• Like 1

Finally!!!!

I have real, really, really, real internet.  On my laptop.  With no bizarre auto-correct.  And finger-sized keys.  And GIFs.  And no data limits.  And...INTERWEBZ I MISSED YOU!

tumblr_n0qeynKbO31tre0g4o1_500.gif

Now, to properly respond to everyone.

• Like 4

Exciting to think about isn't it?  Sounds like you had a good day.  I am looking forward to hearing about your run next week.

I'm a little nervous.  I'm at the point now where every long run is a distance PR.  It's supposed to be nice and chilly this weekend, so that'll be good, at least.  I need to really watch my pace, though.  Don't want to put myself out of this thing this close!!!!

And good luck to you on Saturday!  Not that you need it.  You'll be awesome.

Hey, it sounds like you are back on track! I TOTALLY sympathize with your hectic hubby's home week, you're in good company. Hopefully things are starting to feel back to normal.

Yeah, it's always an adaptation when they come home, but I think the fallout is settling.  (Fun fallout, but still screws with diet and routine.)  I know you know.

I'm glad you're getting back on track after the moving troubles. I agree with everyone who said you should forgive yourself for having to be flexible. The reason we get stronger is to better surf the ups and downs of life, right?

Yay!

Yes!  Fitness is for life, not life for fitness!

Absolutely fitness should bend for life, and I'm glad you allowed yourself flexibility! And it's great that you adjusted your run according to how you were feeling. Best of luck on the 12.5 miles and have fun!! 

I'm slowly learning to be smart and do what I can do, not what a piece of paper tells me I should do.  There are times to stick to the plan and times to ditch the plan.  The trick is, knowing what time it is.

All that moving must've hurt! All that sweating and running and soring body parts—all that up and down and up again—must have taken a toll on you.

Wait~ wait~

THATS EXERCISE OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL! GOOD FOR YOU! :D

Sometimes, no exercise is a good thing. You need go calm yourself and rest your body

You did great!

This message was brought to you by "my five fingers and co."backed up by, "the jolt of electrical signals from my brain speeding through a network of nerves and ganglia".

Erm, no, this round of moving (unlike last time) we had professional movers doing all the heavy moving, I only had to point where to set things down and unpack boxes.  It was hours of low-intensity work.  Still not nothing, but not like last month when I carried stuff up the stairs.  I almost wish I had done it myself (if it were physically possible), since they stained our carpets and broke our stuff.  Boo.

And a great run too! Such inner strength, much wow.

Thank you!

I am terribly late.  I am so, so sorry, Girl Phoenix.

But your challenge is awesome!  Even if I have to buy expensive coffee to watch it! :)

No problem, Other Phoenix.  I know you've been busy with Guild Leadering and visiting guests and running stairs with a knee injury and stuff.

Thanks!  Have a cup on me!

LegoCoffeeGif.gif

And, since third time is the charm, I will actually post an update on my week.  No, I have not fallen off the bandwagon, just got sick of trying to post on my teeny, tiny phone.

Monday

Rest Day.  Even though I skipped a formal workout or two last week, I was really stressed with the move, so I felt I needed a go-easy day.  I get two a week, and normally schedule them a little later, but I needed it more today.

Tuesday

Elliptical 30 minutes, with Hills.  Not so sure about the hills part.  I really couldn't tell much difference.  I have been nervous about my knee, so I went low impact for this workout with the elliptical.  However, I usually run-walk, and this time I "ran" non-stop at race pace, if the thing can be believed.  I don't.

Wednesday

Parallette Training.  Pushups are getting better.  Actually completed the third set plus three more reps.  Jump throughs are improving, as well.  Need more abdominal strength to get full range, I think.  (In case anyone is wondering, a jump through/pass through is starting in plank position and jumping between/through the bars to dip position.  It requires a lot of tuck, since the bars are only 8 inches off the ground.)  A few times, I can get my legs fully extended at the end, but not every rep.

Thursday

Eff the elliptical, it seemed too inaccurate.  I ran 30 minutes on the treadmill, with hills, no walking, at long run pace.  I don't really prefer running on any form of equipment, but I need to train for hills and there aren't any in reasonable proximity.

Friday

Parallettes are on the menu again.  I haven't done them yet, but I'll be getting started shortly.

Saturday will be rest day again, and Sunday loooooong run of 12.5 miles.

• Like 1

That gif would be perfect with the caption INTERNET! instead of SPACESHIP!

So happy you are back to typing on a real computer. I remember the first week or two in our apartment before internet happened. I didn't yet have a smartphone, so I was going a little crazy with no internet.

• Like 1

I'm slowly learning to be smart and do what I can do, not what a piece of paper tells me I should do.  There are times to stick to the plan and times to ditch the plan.  The trick is, knowing what time it is.

It's a skill I'm still trying to figure out, too. Luckily the guy who created the plans I follow says to tweak them as necessary based on your life since that comes first and if you have to swap things around, then do that. I had to do that just this week once I realized that there was no way I could fit in my original plan with what time limits I have to deal with over the weekend!

And wooooooooooooo Internet!!

This gif (and this character) basically sums up me and my life. :lol:

That gif would be perfect with the caption INTERNET! instead of SPACESHIP!

So happy you are back to typing on a real computer. I remember the first week or two in our apartment before internet happened. I didn't yet have a smartphone, so I was going a little crazy with no internet.

Yeah, I would have liked to have fixed it, but I'm not that tech-y.

It's a skill I'm still trying to figure out, too. Luckily the guy who created the plans I follow says to tweak them as necessary based on your life since that comes first and if you have to swap things around, then do that. I had to do that just this week once I realized that there was no way I could fit in my original plan with what time limits I have to deal with over the weekend!

And wooooooooooooo Internet!!

This gif (and this character) basically sums up me and my life. :lol:

I feel like I chose wisely this time.  I know my limitations, and getting hurt when I speed up is one of them.

Hehehe.  It perfectly captured how I felt.  (Plus, completely suited my theme.)

I like your new sig things! It's cool to see all of your dreams of various classes!

Yeah, I'm not at all ambitious, am I?

I got all jazzed up while doing my parallette training today and decided to post it somewhere to remind me why I am pursuing boring stuff like pushups (answer: foundation for floor routine and martial arts). It kind of scares me to have it in print, because now I have to do something about it, cross more items off the list. But I need to stop dreaming my life away and live it, you know?

• Like 2

So. 12.5 miles. It was a beautiful autumn morning, 50°F and clear, blue skies. It was chilly at first, but after 20 minutes, I didn't want my jacket. I was clipping along at a very nice pace and feeling good. My iPod batteries gave out, but it's not a big deal. It's a nice route I am running. At mile four or so, I looked at my Garmin and thought, "A third of the way done already, good!" Then, I had to laugh. I had run for almost an hour, and I could think of it as "already" done, like it was nothing. I am a runner.

At the halfway point, I started feeling like an old lady, all stiff in the joints. Nothing big deal, just an observation. At mile 8, my knee started complaining. Loudly. So frustrating! Mile 9, I am passing my apartment, one lap to go, but seriously debating whether to push on and risk seriously injuring myself or just quit and go home with my tail between my legs. Neither felt like a good choice. I am a runner. I push on.

I slowed my pace and concentrated on my form. Don't slouch, shoulders back, don't quit. The pain becomes manageable, intermittent, under control. I focus on short goals, not the whole 3-mile loop. Run to Mom's house, to the school, to the tennis courts, to the rec center. Keep going, don't quit. 30 more minutes. 15 more minutes. I look at my Garmin. It reads 11.26 miles, the farthest my two legs have ever carried me. I smile. 1.25 miles. That last mile was tough, but I shuffled my way through it, even stretching it out a bit when I realized I would be a little short if I went straight home. 12.5 miles. I did it. I am a runner.

• Like 8

You are SUCH A RUNNER!!!

Wooo Hooo!! Congrates!!

Thanks, Teri. It was tough, but this run is only 0.6 miles short of the Half Marathon distance, so it feels good to know I can finish it even if it doesn't go well. Four weeks left to shore up that knee before the race. One more long run before the taper. Almost there!
  • Like 2

I am actually crying right now at your post. Why am I crying??? Screw you, pms. *sniffle*

Congratulations on your amazing 12.5 miles!!!

Thanks! I guess if my tale was that we'll told I am also a writer.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!! Awesome long run, and yes, you are a runner! We're a special brand of crazy. :)

You said it!

While I think all runners are crazy, you now get the rank of Crazy Awesome!

Way to go!  I couldn't ever manage 12.5 miles, I'd quit half way through.  Or, like, a quarter way through.  Whatever. :P

• Like 1

While I think all runners are crazy, you now get the rank of Crazy Awesome!

Way to go!  I couldn't ever manage 12.5 miles, I'd quit half way through.  Or, like, a quarter way through.  Whatever. :P

Ha! Says the man who has run a Spartan. But, seriously, thank you. You are one of the people I look up to around here, so crazy awesome coming from you means a lot.
  • Like 1

I walked my son to school this morning, then headed to the gym for a knee-sparing, pseudo-hill-climbing elliptical run of 30 minutes.  I cranked up the intensity this time and could feel it a little more on the hills, but still have a hard time believing I was going as fast as it claims I was.  Afterward, I went home and did the knee-building MovNat MOD I love.

Speaking of the MOD, considering how much knee trouble I have had over the past 3 weeks, I am re-instituting the MOD as mandatory 2x per week, and nixing the mobility sitting (which I really haven't been doing anyway).  It's a little late in the challenge for switching horses, but performing well in my HM is more important than making the grade in the challenge (and the purpose of the challenge is to prep me anyway, right?)

For those of you who haven't read my previous threads (or just don't remember), the MOD looks like this:

• Stepping Over x 8: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Stepping Under x 8: Perform in a slow and controlled manner. Switch sides.
  • Lateral Figure Four Sitting Reverse x 16: Alternating sides
  • Squat x 16: Hold at the bottom and bounce softly a few times before standing up.
  • Split Squat x 8: Switch Sides
  • Deep Knee Bend x 8
  • Deep Knee Bend Stances x 8: 10 second hold
  • Deep Kneeling to Tall Kneeling x 8: Shift bodyweight backward as your knees go to the ground.
  • Deep Knee Bend to Deep Half-Kneeling x 8: Switch sides.
  • Like 3

Great job on the run, and I love that you're looking after your knee and being responsible to try to keep it in good shape. Keep up the awesome work!  :)

Sounds like a good way to combat those knee issues. Let us know when you start to feel the difference!

It seemed to help a lot before, but as the miles started piling up (and the move, my catch-all excuse for everything) it kinda got dropped. No more!

That looks intense!

It is fairly intense, but takes less than 15 minutes to complete, so not tooooo bad.

Great job on the run, and I love that you're looking after your knee and being responsible to try to keep it in good shape. Keep up the awesome work!  :)

I have to look after my knees because I am too stubborn to quit! I just hope I have enough time to fix it before the race. I have four hours to finish, so even if I have to walk, it's okay, but after all this hard work (and this is my third attempt), I would like to finish strong, you know?