• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anaticula

Anaticula: Fish on a Bicycle

I see i have gotten behind again on your progress.  You've had a really tough couple weeks.  You seem to have the right attitudes though.  You're being proactive about your meds.  Your awareness of their effect on you is really helpful.  You ideas for next challenge really seem to address some of the obstacles you've had this challenge as well.  I think you'll do amazing and get back to where you were before. There is NO going back now.  

I can't really give any advice on how to deal with the depression and your goals.  I know there are a lot of rebels struggling with it and there are some good threads I think. Since this is hopefully a short term issue, maybe there is something you can do with your goals to minimize the impact the apathy will have?   

Can't wait until the next challenge.  Stay busy in the in-between.  Well, wait, for you maybe it's the opposite since you are always SO BUSY.  

• Like 1

Fall Festival and Trunk R Treat at work was so much fun. :D I was the Cat in the Hat, and actually ran into Thing 1 at one of the campuses. Cat in the Hat was definitely the right costume to go with as all the kids recognized me. I had so much fun handing out my toys and candy. It was fun to watch the kids look everything over and debate which they would prefer. I was worried I would run out of candy/toys, but I didn't  At the end of the night I simply dumped the rest of my bowl into one kid's trick or treat bag. I discovered that glow sticks and bubbles were the two most preferred items, so next year I may buy just those. The campus also gave each car two HUGE bags of dum dum suckers. This was very helpful as I wouldn't have had enough treats otherwise.

Woke up feeling great this morning, I think that as I have realized that it is my medicine making me sad things have become a bit easier.  I headed to the gym first thing and biked 35 minutes on the bike before R arrived for our lesson. He then made me do another five minutes on the bike to warm up for the lesson, :lol: Today was pretty fun, and I hope we do it again next time.  We headed to the UP center where he had me wave huge ropes around. I don't really know what this is supposed to do, but the ropes were very heavy, maybe waving them around builds strength? We alternated the ropes with bungee cords hooked to a metal frame. I had to pull the bands around and hold them stretched out. Then back to the rope. Then back to the bands. R will count down how long you have left, but he stops at 2 and then waits to see how long before you give up. After this we moved to the punching bag, which was really fun.  I discovered I like hitting things. He also attempted to make me do jumping jacks, but then settled on having me wave my arms around in the air while stepping from foot to foot while bringing my knees as high as I could. We alternated this with punching the punching bag.  My only problem with it was he kept telling me not to hit so hard and to hit faster instead. I enjoyed this workout and hope we do it again next time.  I will admit, I was worried when he told me we'd be working in the UP center.  I've talked to several of the other students that he takes there and they don't like it. I suspect that he'll soon have me doing the same things he makes them do.

Tonight I'm going to a Samhain Party at a friends.  It'll be lots of fun, I'm going to pick up a fruit tray to being as we each bring a dish and I want to try to stay away from the cake and pie we normally have. 

Tomorrow is the Renaissance Fair and I'm so excited.  I'll end up walking around the whole day.  Then tomorrow night is my Dia de los Muertos run.  I emailed the guy running it asking to change from the 10 mile to the 5 as I know I won't be able to finish in time. I'm fairly certain he'll let me swap to the 5 mile.

Then, best of all, Sunday R is putting my bike together! Yay! I'll post photos of it once he has it put together. :D

• Like 2

This weekend was AWESOME!! Went to Samhain Friday night and we had so much fun.  I managed to stay away from the unhealthy food, and only eat while I was hungry. I also had water instead of soda, but something else that was pretty cool is a few of my friends picked up diet soda for those who wanted in instead of the regular stuff, because they're trying to be healthier too. 

Saturday I went to the Ren Fest and had so much fun. November is my favorite month of the year because of Ren Fest. I did have rootbeer there, because they make the best homemade rootbeer, but the rest of the day I had water.  I left the fest a little early and headed to the local bike shop where I picked up my headlamp for the race.  He didn't have any whistles, so I had to head to another store to pick one up.  I headed home and debated costume ideas as we were encouraged to dress up.  My Ren Fest clothing would be too difficult to run in, so I decided to wear my cat in the hat costume from trunk r treat. Plus I figured it would be warmer.  I arrived around 5 pm and was the first runner to arrive.  I got to meet C, the guy who runs the Q50 races, and he's a really nice guy. I also chatted with several of the volunteers.  The temperature had been dropping steadily all day, and the wind had picked up, so it was really cold. I wished I had brought thicker pants as the yoga pants that were part of my costume were pretty thin. I don't know how some people were okay wearing just their running shorts.  If I'm going to keep doing races in winter I'm going to need to buy sweatpants to stay warm. Around 6:30 we all watched the sun set over the lake, and the tiki torches lining the finish line were lit. C told us that the path had glow sticks marking turns and deep holes, and that we should be able to see most of the path just using our head lamps.  The course was five miles long and people doing the ten mile would simply do it twice.  The children did a quick run to the beach and back and received their prizes. Then once it was fully dark around 7 our race began.  I managed to keep up with the group for the first  quarter of a mile or so, then I dropped to the back where I knew I'd end up. The trail left the beach and headed through a field, then into the woods. It was really fun running at night. I loved hearing the owls and seeing the moon peeking through the tree branches.  It was pleasantly creepy. It felt like in a horror movie how you end up in the woods alone with the monster which was creepy, but with the knowledge that nothing bad is actually going to happen and that if you trip and sprain your ankle or something there are people near by to call for help.  I'm a big horror movie fan, so I loved it. :) Also the trees were really old oaks which added to it.  And the glow sticks showing up through the dark added a spooky green tint to the forest every now and then.  I managed to walk and jog through out the course.  I even actually ran a few times.  It was awesome. I made myself adopt the policy that once I saw a glow stick I had to run or jog until I reached it, then once I arrived I could slow down to a walk.  For the most part this worked really well, but in some areas there would be like 30 glow sticks in a row, which meant for a long run. I managed a 17 minute mile on the first mile, which is the fastest I have ever gone! As I approached mile two I was joined by a group of runners who had gotten turned around.  (The path doubled back on itself in several spots and if you didn't pay attention to the arrows it was easy to take the wrong path.  When we hit mile marker two they headed back the way we had come from to find marker four where they were supposed to be.  I did great until I started mile four.  I was a little tired by this time, so I walked more and ran less.  I wanted to finish strong though, so once I reached the marker showing I had reached mile four I started jogging and managed to jog all the way back to the finish line.  It was tough. I've never jogged an entire mile in my life, much less at night time. I made it though. :D I finished in one hour thirty three minutes and thirty seconds. :) Roughly 18 minutes a mile, the fastest I've ever 'ran' in a race. :) I headed to the picnic tables where they had beer, sandwiches, water, and candy waiting. I wondered why they were serving ice cream at first, but it turned out the ice cream cones were full of candy. Some people had to leave, but most of us waited around for everyone to finish.  Once the last runner came in they calculated every one's times and awarded the winners.  Everyone who finished got a plant of some sort.  C decided that herbs make the best trophies, because he tries to make the Q50 runs about the environment.  I got a lavender mint plant. The winners of the races got really cool awards to. (Top three males and females for both 5 and 10 mile run, then top three teams for males, females, and mixed. Some people were the only ones participating in their categories and automatically won, :lol: ) As it was a day of the dead run, he awarded ceramic skulls and masks he had picked up in Mexico. They were beautiful.  The 10 mile first place winners each received a gift certificate to go camping in any park in Louisiana. The 10 mile male winner talked one of the other guys into trading him a skull for his camping trip though as he loved the skulls. They tried to award me the second place women's 10 mile, and I had to explain that I had only done the 5 mile.  I had changed it before the race, but they had accidentally left my name in the wrong column. If I had gone ahead and finished the ten mile though I would have ended up as third place as only two women had run the 10 mile.  :P After the trophies were given out they handed out more plants as door prizes.  They had originally planned to draw numbers from everyone who had entered the race, but a lot of people had already left, so C just started giving the plants out at random to the people who had stuck around.  I was given a jade plant.  At around 10pm the rest of us began to head home.  I stopped on the way home and grabbed ice for an ice bath.  I still don't like them, and I was already chilled from being outside, but I have noticed that my legs don't hurt as much when I do the ice baths after the races.  I don't know if it's because the ice bath is helping or simply because my legs are getting stronger, but I figure the ice won't hurt anything. 

Sunday I headed to Ren Fest again, this time with some friends instead of by myself. We had a good time and watched several shows, then I received a text from R. He was working on my bike and wanted to know if I could make a run to the store for spray paint so he could make the extra parts he had to get all be the same color. I quickly abandoned my friends for my bicycle and headed to the store.  I had no clue what all the paint terms he was using meant so took pictures of spray paint containers and texted them to him until I got the right ones. Then I headed to his place to see my bike. :) It was mostly finished, but still missing a few parts.  He painted the things he needed to while I played peek-a-boo and with play-dough with his daughter and chatted with his wife. Several hours later my bike was finished enough for me to test. :D I didn't realize that the first time I got to ride my bike it would be in his living room on a bike stand thing, but that's what happened. :lol: He has what his wife calls a 'video game for cyclists' where you hook the tires up to stands that simulate hills and turns and stuff while you watch the screen. He made adjustments to the seat and handle bar heights.  This is going to take some real getting used to because the seat is higher than the handle bars. Once he got those set up he showed me how to change gears and let me take it outside. I kept forgetting that you have to pedal while changing gears, so that's going to take some getting used to.  Once I had rode it a little and seen all the gears we headed back inside where he made a few more changes. (His bike shop is in his living room.) Then he made me ride it on the bike stand again for 30 minutes to get used to it. I'm not used to bike riding in the living room, lol. He's got one more part he wants to change out as it'll put the handle bar a little closer to the seat to allow me not to lean over so much.  He says that once I get used to the different position he'll put the handlebars back where they are supposed to be. This way I can gradually adapt to the bike.  I am so glad I didn't let him put the clip pedals on it like he originally wanted to.  That would be too many changes all at once.  However, once I get used to what I have now I'm willing to give them a try. He said that the cycling shoes will help me in the RPM class too as they are firmer on the bottom and won't leave my feet feeling like they do when I bike in my street shoes.  I'm thinking that maybe next payday I'll have him go ahead and order the shoes, and I'll start using them in class even though I'm not using them on the bike. I've also ordered some cycling shorts with the padded seat, which should be in tonight. Yay! Because that seat is literally a pain in the @$$ right now. And this is even with him ordering me the more 'comfortable' of the cycling seats. He refused to let me put a cruiser seat on it, something about it gets in the way of your legs and slows you down. I decided to just go with it as I need to get used to the cycling seat anyways for the RPM class. As of right now my bike is still at R's house.  He's going to fix that last piece and thinks I'll be able to pick it up tonight. When I get home I'm going to stop by the bike shop to see if they have a book on bicycle care, I've paid a lot for this bike and want to make sure I'm keeping it in good condition.  R went over a few things with me, but I'd feel better if I had a book that went over everything. I like books.

Today is my day off from working out.  I've been trying to make myself follow his plan exactly as he has told it to me, so even though I was tempted to swim this morning I did not. I never thought I'd reach a point where I'd have to tell myself not to exercise...

He hasn't finished my schedule for the week yet.  Tomorrow he has me doing the evening RPM class instead of my rowing class, Friday I have my session with him and we'll do strength again, and Sunday I'm doing a 5K, but I've nothing written down for the rest of the week yet.  I'm assuming this is because he's planning to assign me something based on my new bike and wants to make sure I have it before he assigns it.

And finally, what you have all been waiting for, here's me on my bike. :)

541547_10153306389667785_456245620210200

• Like 2

The rule of thumb for cool weather running is that you should be cool to start off, because you will warm up. That being said, if you're faster you'll generate more heat, and it's partly relative to what you're used to as well.

I've seen people running (past me!) in shorts when there's snow on the ground and it's right around freezing. I want to say below freezing, but I'm less confident of that. I did a race this time last year, where it was a couple degrees above freezing, and some of the really fast people were wearing shorts and a singlet (while I'm wearing light pants and a jacket).

• Like 1

My bicycle is home at last! Yay! R fixed up the last few things on it and it rides like a dream. Such a HUGE improvement over the heavy cruiser I bought a few months back when I first started riding.  I will admit, it is still going to take me some time to get used to the new riding style and gears, but when I got to ride it home last night I loved it. Also, my cycling shorts came in last night, so the seat both on my bike and at RPM class should be easier to deal with. I ordered a pair of cycling shoes and a couple of jerseys that were on sale at the time too, and a race belt, so I have everything I need for a while.   :) I will need to get another swimsuit soon, but until spring arrives and I can try one on to purchase it I'm going to just use the two piece thing I have even though I don't like it.  Or I'll do like one of my other friends advised and by a pair of cheap cycling shorts with no padding and swim in them. My friends were telling me that now that I have my bike I have to name it, and sleep with it and tell it stories, and bathe it and all because it's going to be my new best friend, :lol: . I'm really excited about it, and I'll admit I will probably name it. :tongue: I'm supposed to do an RPM class tonight, but R has told me that any time he scheduled me for an RPM class I can trade it out for cycling, but to remember that the RPM class will push me more than just cycling on my own around town will.  I'm debating which I want to do tonight. He does have me scheduled for a two hour bike ride both tomorrow and Saturday, so I could wait to ride then, and do the 45 minutes class tonight.  The class would probably be better for me tonight anyways as it's getting dark earlier and I won't have a chance to start cycling until it's almost dark, which means I'd have to finish my ride in the dark.  I had mentioned to him and a few other people which park I normally cycle in, and every single person got wide eyed and responded with 'you aren't scared to cycle there?' and 'you bike there alone? seriously?' which makes me think that I really shouldn't go there after dark, I don't know why they think this though, everyone I've ever run into there has been extremely polite, and I've never once felt threatened for being there. At any rate, tomorrow I get home from work early and will have plenty of time to ride while it's still light out. 

Here is my bike. :)

10007531_10204453282523679_1896492594410

Here's me taking everyone's advice. :tongue:

10399451_10204453554370475_2008402103845

And here are my Dia de los Muertos trophies. :)

10169432_10204446676358529_1474215977906

1925069_10204446676478532_56822890128383

So now I have a question...the same people who did this run are having another night time run.  This one starts at midnight and is either 7 or 14 miles through the woods over semi rough terrain. You can do it once for the 7 miles or twice for the 14. The morning after that run is my half marathon.  At the half marathon you have options to change trails and do a 5K a 10K or the full half marathon.  My problem is I had so much fun doing the last night time run that I want to do this one too, but doing both runs back to back like this is not really a great idea.  Typically when I finish my runs I'm tired, but not in pain, and after thirty minutes to an hour I've gotten my breath back and I feel fine.  This is even with my triathlons.  So I think that physically I'd be capable of doing both. And I would love to do both, but I think that it would be a bad idea.  I asked my coach about it and he said that he thinks I'd be able to finish, but that finishing either of them is going to take me a long time because I'm slow. He also warned me that if I attempt to do them both that I run the risk of blisters and not being able to do my best at the second one because I'd be tired from the first one.  However, he didn't tell me not to try it... 

Those of you who've been running for a while.  Am I being way to optimistic about my abilities here to think I could do both? I suspect that R is willing to let me go for it because he knows that until I finally hit that 'I literally cannot go any more' wall I'm not going to be sure where my abilities end. I'm fairly certain that if he suspected I'd end up seriously injuring myself he'd have flat out told me bad idea don't do it.  I've had times on my triathlons where I've been tired, but I've not yet in any of my training reached that point of sheer exhaustion where I know that I gave everything and cannot give more, and found the strength to push through it and finish. I've never had doubt about my ability to finish.  Am I pushing myself too much to want to reach that point? Opinions? 

I assume the half marathon is farther than you've run/walked before? I think that's challenge enough for one weekend! If they're having 2 of these night runs so close together then I assume its a fairly regular thing and there will be lots more opportunities to do them.

• Like 1

They do have one more event this year and a big one coming up next year that I know of. They are doing a duathlon on Dec 6th, and my trainer wants me to sign up for it if he can find a place renting mountain bikes.  He says I cannot use my bike he built for me on it at it is not designed for rough trails. Then in Feb/March they are having a running weekend.  With a night time race Saturday night, then three different races Sunday. So there are plenty more to come.  It is the best choice to skip this one and focus on my half marathon, I just get excited about things and want to do more than I can.

Yesterday was pretty good workout wise.  I did a walk on the treadmill in the morning, then took the RPM class in the evening (R wants me to start taking it instead of rowing). It was very different from the other one I took. Less standing, more sitting.  Most people don't like this, but I prefer it.  I'm always worried that I'm going to fall off the bike when I stand. My cycling gear arrived yesterday, so I now have cycling shorts, shirts, and shoes.  The shorts don't fit properly, but I can deal with it.  The 4x is too big and the 3x too small, so I'm wearing the 4x with another pair of shorts over them to hold them on.  I should be able to fit into the 3x soon I think, but until I do I'm okay with wearing two pairs of shorts. I know that they are supposed to be tight, but they are just a little too tight right now.  Maybe by the end of the month they'll be perfect. I love the cycling shirts. I like having the back pocket, and that they are long in the back.  I will admit that the cut on them is tighter than anything I'd normally wear in public, but as cycling clothing is supposed to be tight it's okay. The shoes I'm having some issues with.  They were on sale, and the very last pair the store had. I don't normally buy clothing online, but I figured with the shoes on sale if they didn't fit it'd be okay, because they were really cheap.  They fit length wise, but they are very tight across the ball of the foot.  I can't get socks on when I wear them because they are so tight there.  I've tried loosening up the laces, but basically I'll have to wear them and stretch them out to make them fit right. R told me that bike socks are thinner than regular socks, so I'm going to pick up a pair from the bike shop today.  He also showed me that the metal plates they came with are so that cleats can be put on them when i do want to start using the clip pedals. I tried wearing them to the RPM class, but all I could focus on was how tight they felt, so half way through the class I had to get off the bike and change shoes. (So glad I brought my walking shoes with me.) After class I ran into one of my teammates and she told me that I should give the core strength class a try.  It's the same teacher, just in the yoga room.  I headed over there with her.  The teacher stopped me on the way and told me that as this would be my first class there would be many things that I wouldn't be able to do, but that if I keep coming every week I'll learn them.  She was right. The class was things like planks, crunches, push ups, etc.  She set me up in the corner of the room out of everyone's way where she could keep an eye on me and made sure to show me alternate moves for everything she had the class do. It was a difficult, but I know that she right and I'll be able to do these types of things eventually if I keep trying.  I think that I will make this class a regular thing on the Tuesdays I do RPM instead of rowing.  

I'l trying to think up what I want to do for my next challenge.  Having some issues with it, and the new threads are up today! Yikes! 

For fitness I know that my coach has me on a good plan.  All I have to do is follow it.  He keeps me on track and he constantly changes things. No worries there. Also, after I signed up for the half Ironman and he looked hurt that I signed up without chatting with him about it in person first I've been trying to make sure I speak with him before signing up for anything. I've a few things I want to enter and he has a few things he wants me to enter, so there will be races in December and January (mostly running, including a marathon, but also the above duathlon). Also, he is super excited about me having my new bike and has implied that I'll now be riding every weekend and several times during the week.  He actually told me that any time he assigns me a workout if I don't want to do it I can go for a bike ride instead. He does want me to do the RPM classes in addition to the outside biking though as the instructors there will push me more than I will push myself.

Another thing I want to focus on is writing.  I've signed up for the NaNoWriMo, but I've only written my plot so far! Not a good start! I've let my blog fall out of use, and want to start blogging again, even if I'm only posting the same things I post here.  Also, R wants me to write more articles for his website and plans to give me some topics soon. 

The other, most important, thing I need to focus on this challenge is eating correctly. I have a bad habit of eating junk. I know what I should eat, but I don't. I want to focus on clean eating this challenge. No fast food, not 'instant' or prepackaged foods, just real food. I want to have myself cook as many of my meals as possible this challenge, and eat real food.  I'm not going to worry about what foods I can or cannot eat, I just want it to be real food with real ingredients.  I'm going to spend Saturday cooking and preparing as that's the day of the farmer's market. Then I can box food up for the rest of the week. I'll have to actually start this before the challenge starts, but I'm good with that.

Okay, I can see where my head is at now.  Going to write this up in my new thread....