• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Anaticula: Fish on a Bicycle

I have some really great teammates. :) They've made me decide that I want to officially join their team come payday. :) 

Here are pics of the tri, my trainer took most of these, and some of my teammates took the others:

Transition station before the race.

10644504_10204185567910981_6437477121724

Swim

10451322_10204189365965930_6483040094024

Coming back from my bike ride, one last hill to cross.

10702191_10204189366805951_2666204959844

My trainer and one of my teammates chasing me down the hill to transition.

10622952_10204189367965980_5821828377506

Photo my trainer took of some of my teammates joining me for my walk.

1959484_10204189369206011_59393176589363

Across the finish line at last. Slightly over three hours from when the race began. 

1924395_10204189369406016_28358380340467

My results for the race.

10388201_10204191245812925_8764042385552

• Like 4
  • Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm Anaticula.  This is my second challenge.  My first one can be found here.  Last challenge I decided I wanted to learn how to swim as it was the only form of exercise I have ever enjoyed, and I was

Hello all sorry I'm so late getting this posted, but it's been a busy few days!    @Kaylya and Harihead - My trainer agrees with you and he's given me a pretty 'easy' week this week with orders that i

Today was a very rough day. I was working on my Toadette costume, which means I had to sew.  I am able to sew, but it stresses me out, and when I'm stressed I eat.  I ended up drinking a 20 oz rootbe

Finished! I was last, but I finished! Detail when I get home. :)

You did it!!!  You did it!!!  You did it!!!!   That is what matters...wwwooohhhoooo!!!!   ~doing a happy dance~  No negative thoughts...they don't enter in the equation. Tell people you finished and you did great.  Do you have any idea how amazing that is!?!?!  You rock girlfriend!!!

• Like 1

I spent most of yesterday in tears, but they were good tears. :) It started when I went to the gym for my morning swim.  This random guy I had never seen before stopped me at the door and said, 'you ran a triathlon yesterday didn't you?' I'll admit, I was wearing my metal under my workout clothing because I hadn't taken it off (yes, I even slept in it) because I was so happy to have it, but I didn't think it was obvious I was wearing it. He congratulated me on completing it, and I went about my day.  Later I noticed that my trainer had posted a photo of my on his page telling people how proud he was of me, and a ton of people I didn't know had posted that they were glad I finished, and several mentioned that they had saw me at the triathlon, and didn't know who I was, but were so excited I finished. (This is where I started crying.) Then later in the day I discovered that the owner of the gym I work out at had gotten ahold of the photo from R's page and published it on the gym's facebook page. I was shocked to see it, and even more shocked to find over a hundred people had liked it or commented on how great it was within just a few hours of it being up. (This is where I really started crying.) I knew that my team was proud of me, and I knew that you all were excited for me, but I never thought that all these random people I've never had anything to do with would be so excited for me. It really made my day.  Seeing everyone's comments makes me feel just as good as I felt when I crossed the finish line. :)

I had a great swim both yesterday morning and yesterday evening. In the morning I managed 800 yards. In the evening I did slightly over 2,000 in an hour and 15 minutes. The best I've ever swam. :D Also, yesterday my coach posted that he needs a few people to join him for a walk/run this Saturday.  The city is having a competition to see which business can have the biggest team sign up to do the four miles, and R is trying to get people to sign up for the gym's team.   I signed up, I figured a four mile walk can count as part of my training for Sunday. R agreed and added it in as part of my schedule.  Swim today, bike tomorrow, Thursday I have strict orders to rest, Friday my next lesson with him, Saturday the four mile walk, and Sunday the Triathlon.  It's going to be a fun week. :D

I stopped wearing my metal everywhere as it's clunky.  Instead I've been keeping it with me in my pocket or purse. :P I am still wearing my arm band with my race number on it though. (They used them to make sure we left with our bike.) It's small so I can get away with it. :)

• Like 5

Congratulations!  You should be so proud of yourself, because a tri is a big deal.  Inspired by you and Ryoko, I am hoping to do one in the spring.  I actually just signed up to run a 5k with my daughter in a few weeks in the hope that it will help prepare me for my tri next year.  

Again congratulations, congratulations, congratulations!

• Like 1

Woohoo!!! You did it and you finished! Who cares if you were last? You finished!!

I see that you sew a little and I'm no sure if you quilt at all, but I saw a quilt made of runner's bibs, like this 

You just copy our bib on to a printable fabric and make it into a quilt. I want to do that when I get into half marathons and such. Maybe you could do that with your triathlon bibs.

Keep it up and good luck!

• Like 1

Thanks everyone! :D

My mom had taken a photo of me getting my metal, but because her phone is an old one there is no way for her to send it to me without the phone distorting the image. I did take a photo of the metal, but I'll have to post it elsewhere first to get the link to post here.

That race bib blanket looks awesome.  In high school I made a quilt out of all my old tshirts. You've now got me thinking about making once with the race shirts and the bib numbers.  :D

I'm still getting people I don't know congratulating me on my triathlon. Yesterday when I went to rowing class a couple of the other students made a point to ask me how it went, and then this morning at the pool a guy asked me about it and wanted to know which one I was planning to do next. He says that once you start doing them you keep wanting to do more and more, he's headed to Florida this weekend for one, said his boss actually made him take off work to go to it, :lol:

Rowing class last night was fun.  Instead of having us all go at our own pace R made us all try to match him.  He likes to tell us to do that then pause for a few seconds to see who he can catch not paying attention. It was tough, but I managed to keep up with him. Today he only has me scheduled for a 30 minute bike ride, but I swam this morning anyways.  I love swimming and missing out on my morning swim leaves me feeling so blah the rest of the day. Managed to do 700 yards in 29 minutes. :) Used to be that I could barely manage to do 200 yards in an hour.  It feels so great to see how far I have come.  I would have swam longer, but the girl opening the gym was running late, and didn't open up until 10 after. (I think she said she had car issues.)

I really need to think about my quests this time around. I've not been logging my food, but I have been eating healthier.  I found that when I log my food I make worse choices, as odd as that sounds.  I'll look at the calories I've eaten against how much I've exercises and then justify eating something really unhealthy because I have the calories for it. I'll tell myself that I have 250 more calories for the day and then eat a bunch of icecream so that I'm even.  I really can't do that anymore. This week I've not logged anything, but I've eaten better, and because of that I've actually ended up loosing 3 pounds this week already. Granted, I've packed my lunch every day so far this week except today. I'm going to have to see what the local grocery store has available. I've also not been meeting the three hours of biking each week like I wanted. I've been so focused on other things.  I'm still getting plenty of exercise, it's just not biking. I'm trying to decide if I want to force myself to stick to this challenge for the next three weeks, even though I've done so poorly on it, or to make new goals, because honestly, even though I've not been meeting my challenge goals, I've had an amazing three weeks.  I went to camp, where I learnt lots of new things, I ran my first triathlon, I signed up for a four mile jog this Saturday, and another Triathlon Sunday, I've lost 5 pounds so far this three weeks. I feel GREAT and I'm so excited about then next few weeks.  And on top of all that I've got plans for more events next month lined up that I'll be arranging come payday. There are three half marathons, two 5Ks, and a 10K in November I'm looking at, I'm deciding which one (maybe two) I will enter. And I;m seriously considering signing up for the half Ironman in New Orleans in April.  I know that if it was this month I simply wouldn't physically be able to complete it, but as it's six months away if I dedicate myself to training I could do it. The only reason I've not yet signed up for it (other than because payday hasn't yet arrived) is because I do worry that I might be biting off a bit more than I can chew.  I mean I've only done one triathlon and it was much much shorter. Maybe a half Ironman is too much even for six months from now.  But I want to enter. I want to try it. I did mention to R I was thinking about it and he was extremely excited about it, and I would hope that if he though I wouldn't be able to do it he would tell me so. The Girl Power Triathlon people sent a coupon code for entering, and it's good until October 13th, so I've some time to think about it. I just worry that I'm dreaming much bigger than I can actually do. I'm fairly certain though that come Friday I'll be going ahead and signing up for it.

• Like 1

:o  That you're even considering a half Ironman is incredible. I can't even imagine even doing an Olympic tri -- if I just do a sprint, I'll be pleased! Seriously, you are BAMF!! I'm in no position to advise if you'll be ready for a half Ironman or not, but if your trainer isn't advising against it, then why not go for it? But I do understand your apprehensions, too!

Seriously, you're awesome. :love_heart:

Congrats on the weight loss! I think you should stick with the challenge and just change up your goals, it's never too late for that.

I say sign up for everything is you'll always have the "what if" thing going. If you try it and find you don't finish, at least you tried! You're already ahead of those who didn't. You can do anything you put your mind to.

Also, if you make the quilt, must see pics!

Sunday evening and Monday I was all ready to go ahead and sign up.  But I've had a few issues about my ability to succeed come up from a friend and some family members. :(  It's ironic how complete strangers are so excited for me to be doing this, and I receive so much support fro you all and from R's team, but I am receiving so little support and tons of doubt from the people I always thought I could count on. Also, on the team's facebook page R was asking who all was thinking of entering and one guy replied that he did it last year and would never do it again because of 'logistics' (?), the water smelling like diesel and making it difficult to breath during the swim, the bike ride being super windy, and there being no shade over the run. The fact that this guy who is in shape thinks it's not worth it to complete because of these difficulties makes me wonder how I could expect to finish it when I'm out of shape, even if I train for the 6 months.  Now, it is possible that this guy is the type of person who complains about everything, I've never met him or seen his posts before.  But now that doubt has begun to creep in I keep thinking that I won't be able to do it. 

I will admit that this is one time my stubbornness is a benefit, because the stubborn side of me has pretty much already decided that I'm going to do this damn it, and now I'm just trying to convince myself that I will be able to do it. 

I know, it's confusing, I want to do this, but even if I sign up now I'll worry about if I made the right choice until April arrives.   :wacko: Darn you self doubt.  <_<

Ugh, I know how having little to no support from people you are close to can be. When I first started getting into running, I eventually came up with a goal: since I had started running in January, and had been pretty successful through April, I decided to "reach for the stars" as it were and aim to run 10 miles straight through by the end of that summer. I told a friend this, and he gave me this Look and said in that doubtful way, "Good luck..." Joke's on him, in the end: not only did I get to 10 miles before the end of the summer, but that autumn I completed my first half marathon. So boo to the naysayers! Again, I'd say there are only two people who can decide whether or not you can do this half Ironman: your trainer who seems positive and supportive and honest and knows you and your abilities, and most importantly, yourself!

As for the guy who complained about the particular race you're thinking about, I'd say get a few more opinions, but it sounds like you've made up your mind already. We believe in you!!!

• Like 2

one guy replied that he did it last year and would never do it again because of 'logistics' (?), the water smelling like diesel and making it difficult to breath during the swim, the bike ride being super windy, and there being no shade over the run. 

I was in a similar situation recently.  I had heard bad things about the rock n roll half that I recently ran, from people who were more in shape than I am, too.  But I had decided that I wanted to run that particular race, particularly because my race buddy wanted to.  The people that I heard complain also said it was poorly run, which is what I'm sure this guy thinks of as logistics.  When I ran it, it was totally fine (could've used more port-a-potties, but that didn't cause any emergencies that I know of) and we had a lot of fun.  Keep in mind two things: 1) the logistics might get better from year to year.  I think race organizers want their event to be a fun one, so they'll take complaints seriously and try to change things 2) as you said, if he's just a complainer, the things he notices might not be things you would notice.  If other people that are more positive in general complain about the same things, then maybe take it seriously, but haters gonna hate (sorry I have T Swift stuck in my head) so don't let it get to you if it's something you want to do.

@blkhole - I know this sounds bad, but I'm glad to hear your story and see that it's not just my family and friends who have a lack of support. I know that the reason my dad doesn't want me to do triathlons anymore is because he is worried I'll hurt myself, but I'm sure that staying fat and not exercising will kill me faster than learning to swim/bike/run will! I've had poor diet and fitness habits for so long that if I'm going to have a heart attack like he thinks I could have it just sitting in my chair! For some reason he doesn't seem to get this. My other issue with a lack of support is a friend who likes to insist that her workout plan is better than mine.  When she started working out she insisted that I should do the exact same workout as her even though I told her I had no interest at all in barre fitness or bootcamp style classes (I tried them with her, but they are simply not for me). Even now that I'm doing the swimming and all and it's working for me she insists that I should stop and do her type of workout. I don't understand why she can't realize that we are not the same person. I've tried to explain multiple times that I LOVE what I'm doing now and HATE bootcamp, but she simply cannot accept it. I have to admit I'm glad she lives in another state and can no longer attempt to force me to go to her gym/workout. I will admit, I have some other issues with her that are probably tainting my view of her opinion, but if she would just stop trying to turn me into her I think we could go back to how much fun our friendship used to be. Sorry for the rant! 

@Kat - You bring up some really good points.  Last weekend everyone was complaining about how the wind slowed them down, but I actually liked it because it kept me cool.  It could very well be the exact same way with this race. 

I'll see my trainer Friday for my lesson, and I'm going to seriously discuss things with him then.  I really want to enter, and he seemed excited about me giving it a try when we were texting about lessons the other day. I really really want to do this, and I think that 6 months should allow me to finish even though it likely won't be at a good pace. Besides, if it turns out I can't do it because of the coupon price I'll be loosing less money if I sign up now instead of waiting.   

• Like 2

@blkhole - I know this sounds bad, but I'm glad to hear your story and see that it's not just my family and friends who have a lack of support. I know that the reason my dad doesn't want me to do triathlons anymore is because he is worried I'll hurt myself, but I'm sure that staying fat and not exercising will kill me faster than learning to swim/bike/run will! I've had poor diet and fitness habits for so long that if I'm going to have a heart attack like he thinks I could have it just sitting in my chair! For some reason he doesn't seem to get this. My other issue with a lack of support is a friend who likes to insist that her workout plan is better than mine.  When she started working out she insisted that I should do the exact same workout as her even though I told her I had no interest at all in barre fitness or bootcamp style classes (I tried them with her, but they are simply not for me). Even now that I'm doing the swimming and all and it's working for me she insists that I should stop and do her type of workout. I don't understand why she can't realize that we are not the same person. I've tried to explain multiple times that I LOVE what I'm doing now and HATE bootcamp, but she simply cannot accept it. I have to admit I'm glad she lives in another state and can no longer attempt to force me to go to her gym/workout. I will admit, I have some other issues with her that are probably tainting my view of her opinion, but if she would just stop trying to turn me into her I think we could go back to how much fun our friendship used to be. Sorry for the rant! 

No worries! It's always reassuring to know that it's not just you and such. :)

I guess I can understand a bit the fear people might have of their loved ones doing triathlons after all these horror stories of people having heart attacks and what not, but at the same time, it's like telling someone not to learn how to drive a car because x number of people get into accidents every year. It could also be what you always hear about: people see you getting in shape and doing these awesome things, and it reminds them that they're not doing anything remotely like that, so they feel that they have to tear you down by saying things that basically comes across as, "Because I can't do that, you shouldn't do it."

As for your friend... ugh. She may have just been looking for a buddy to do her workouts with her or she has other insecurities she's trying to project onto you, but that doesn't excuse the grief she's giving you by saying that her workout plan is better than yours. It's better for HER, but not for YOU. You do you, etc. Everyone has different interests, different needs, and different desires for getting in shape. And don't apologize for the rant! We all need to every so often. :love_heart:

I did it.  I went ahead and entered the half Ironman. :D

I also signed up for two races in November...

So my schedule looks like this now.: In October I've got the Hammond Chamber Health and Fitness 4 mile on the 4th; the Sugarman Triathlon on the 5th; and the Hub City Hustle on the 18th. For November I've signed up for the Dia de los Muertos (a night time 10 mile Halloween themed run) on the 1st; and the Women's Half Marathon on the 16th.

I hope I'm not taking on more than I can handle, but I'm looking forward to doing my best!

• Like 5

I've received an amazing amount of support from my team and the community. I actually went into a store yesterday and had the owner stop me to congratulate me on finishing the triathlon. It still amazes me every time someone does this, because I don't really think of how me doing this affects other people. There seem to be a lot of people very impressed that I attempted it while not being fit and even more impressed that I finished it and plan to do it again. I hope that it does make some other people decide to give it a try. 

Last night I missed yoga again, this is the third week in a row. :( I had to run errands with my dad and then he wanted to grab supper (luckily the local Thai place has mostly healthy choices) and yoga class had already started by the time I made it back home.  I changed into my gear and headed to the gym to ride an exercise bike there as it was too dark to ride my bike in the park. I ended up chatting some with the lady on the bike next to me.  It was nice. This morning I went ahead and swam even though my trainer has me scheduled to rest today.  I know that you are supposed to rest between workouts to recover, but I miss my swims when I don't go to them.  Plus I'm not swimming that fast, so I think it can still count as taking it easy. I ran into my trainer there as he was doing lessons with someone else and he didn't comment on it being my rest day, so I think it'll be okay.

Speaking of my trainer, I think he's is more excited about me signing up for the half Ironman that I am. :lol: He was going on and on about me needing to get a new bike as my old one is heavy, which I've been thinking about anyways, and was planning a bike shopping trip once I leanrt how to ride. He did warn me that the good bikes tend to be really expensive. Then he told me that if I want because he and I are the same height he could sell me the bike frame he used to use for really cheap, but that I'd have to buy the tires and gears to go on it. I looked it up, and he's offering me a good price on it (and will order everything and assemble it for free), but damn, even at a discounted price it's expensive ($600 for gears, $100 for tires, the tires cost more than the bike I have!). I know that the reason it's so much is because he thinks I should get the really good tires and parts and all, he's thinking long run and that they'll last me for years if I take care of them, but I'm looking at the price and wondering if I should just buy a cheap bike one step up from what I have now. He's not trying to pressure me into buying it, and I have time to think about it, and if I do tell him I just want to buy a cheap one for now he'll still help me get it.  I'm debating it.  It's expensive now, but will last me longer in the long run, verses buy a cheap one now and then having to upgrade in 6 months to a year. And to think a few weeks back I thought the most expensive thing about doing triathlons was paying $60 to enter a race. :P

In other news I nearly started a facebook war last night. :( I had posted on facebook that I was planning to enter another triathlon and the friend I mentioned above went through her usual insistence that I start taking body combat classes to train for it. Not going to happen. My step-sister saw it and went off on her. I did manage to calm both of them down before they argued too much. I know that my friend thinks she is helping, but I am secretly relieved that my step-sister's comments made her swear never to post helpful advice on my facebook page again. She means well, but she simply cannot understand that I've found something that works for me and it isn't exercise classes. Anyways, after I calmed her down she and I did manage to have a good chat about other stuff.  If only we can avoid talking about fitness we get along great.  Hopefully my sister's comments and my refusal to join the classes will keep us off the topic of fitness and our friendship can go back to how it used to be. :)

I also signed up for another 5K November 9th.  A friend's family has created a team for a cancer run in honor of her aunt's survival with cancer.  She saw my posts about trying to exercise more and asked if I'd like to join the team. :) Looks Like I'm going to have three events this month and three next month.  That'll be almost every weekend. I hope I'm not doing too much, but all of the events seem do able, so I think I'll be okay. :D

• Like 2