Anaticula: Fish on a Bicycle

I love your trainer's enthusiasm! :) And bikes can be so super expensive, oh man, one of the reasons I never took up cycling for fitness, actually! Running is cheap; the most expensive thing you really have to worry about are the shoes, and even they're cheaper than a decent bicycle! But since triathlons are your gig, it might be worth investing in a good bike now instead of going for something cheap.

Well he has admitted that part of the reason he's so excited is because it helps him out as a trainer. :P  He's told me he plans to tell his new clients about me and use my story to show them that they can do it too.  I admit, it feels odd being called a health inspiration when I'm still out of shape, but I have had a couple of friends tell me that they've been reading my posts on facebook and have decided to join a gym too. :)Also, having people tell me that I'm inspiring them to do stuff is really encouraging me.  I want to be in shape and be able to tell people if I could do it you can. Then I'll tell them to go see my trainer, :lol: , got to give credit where it's due as he's helped me a lot.

• Like 4

I think that's one of the best things in the world and best accomplishments anyone can achieve: becoming an inspiration to others. :)

And here is one more person you're inspiring right here! I've been peering at triathlons in Colorado in 2015. Trying to plan out my 2015 big races right now, and a sprint is definitely a consideration!

• Like 1

I think you are very inspiring because of what you do and being out of shape while you do it. I look at all the half marathons and stuff that I want to do and I tell myself that I'll get to it when I'm thinner and can actually do it. I love seeing you trying and finishing and wanting to do more triathlons.

Keep it up and don't let the doubters get you down. You're better than that. 

• Like 1

Thanks. :) Crossing the finish line is a really great feeling and I can't wait to do it again.

I'm looking at this bike as a long term project.  If I decide to purchase the frame from R and have him assemble it he'll buy the pieces as I give him the money then put it all together once he's got everything.  If it weren't for the fact that I'm supposed to get a bonus check this month from work I don't think I could afford it at all. I have a feeling though that my whole bonus will be going to this, then I'll have to add more as I have it each payday. I am going to talk to him about the pros and cons of just buying a slightly better bike.  As I won't receive my bonus until the end of October he knows that if I do purchase it, it won't be for a while. On the plus side, while I'm saving up for it I still have my cruiser to ride so I can keep getting practice in!

This morning was very long. Due to weather R had to push my lesson back until 6:30. I woke up at my usual time and couldn't go back to sleep so I headed to the gym to do a workout before my workout. I biked for an hour on the exercise bikes, then walked for 30 minutes because I was tired of biking, then R arrived and had me do 15-20 minutes on the spin bike (it sits different and has different petals that the regular exercise bike). I was dripping all over the place by the time we were done because I'm used to normally doing only a 45 minute workout total, not an hour and 45 minutes. While on the bike he went over some information for the triathlon with me.  As he is running Saturday for the gym he isn't going to do the triathlon Sunday. He made a few jokes that I'm making him  look bad because I'm doing both, :lol: , but he competes to win and I compete to finish, so I understand why he won't be doing to back to back. He also said that as I'm doing the half Ironman he's thinking about signing up for it too. I think I may have accidentally hurt his feelings that I signed up and told him about it instead of sitting down with him at a training session and going over everything with him.  Looking back I guess he may have though I was joking Sunday evening when I texted him that I was thinking about doing it and didn't realize I was serious until I told him I had signed up.  Oops. At least in our session this morning he didn't tell me that he didn't think I could do it, but instead told me that if I'm serious about doing it I really have to dedicate myself to training. I explained to him that I wanted to go ahead and sign up because it'd be cheaper to sign up now and chicken out than to sign up later and chicken out.  I'm not planning to give up though.  I really want to do this and am going to give it my all. I'm going to at least get the swim done.  If it's too tough and I can't finish the bike or run at least I'll have done the swim and as much of the bike and run as I can. 

We then discussed Sunday some more.  He's told me that for the swim I should stay to the side and back of my wave and let everyone else start a few seconds ahead of me because it's going to be chaotic. I'm fine with that.  He also really wants me to use his wife's bike for this race.  He said it's not a full road bike as it doesn't have gears, but it's thinner than what I have and will make me go faster.  I'm supposed to pick it up from him tonight after I get off work and try it out tomorrow after the morning run/walk. He thinks that I'll pick up on the breaks quickly and be fine in time for the race. I'm willing to give it a try as this course is supposed to be fairly flat, so I shouldn't have to worry too much about stopping on hills, just for curves.

We discussed the bike I'll be getting from him and it's got me a little worried.  He wants me to learn to ride with normal petals, but says that once I learn how to stop using the breaks and to change gears he's going to swap my petals out for the clip petals where you have things on the bottom of your shoes that hook onto the petals.  I've heard lots of stories about people falling over and getting hurt with these, so it has me a little worried even though R's told me I'll be fine once I get in the habit of clipping in and out. He has a lot more faith in my learning curve than I do when it comes to these.  :tongue:

He's also decided that in addition to my Tuesday rowing class and Wednesday yoga I need to start taking a spin class or the RPM class.  He didn't tell me what the difference is, so I figure I'll try them both and see which works better for my schedule and ability.  He's said that the class will make me feel like I'm going to die, but it's better to feel that way here than on the course in April.  :wacko:

My lesson ended with just enough time for me to grab a shower and head to work.  No time for breakfast, so I had to grab a cranberry juice from the vending machine and luckily I had a banana on my desk that I didn't eat for lunch yesterday. About to go back to the machine for more juice or some water as I'm still thirsty.

• Like 3

Wow, youve been up to so much...

A triathalon... wow... Thats amazing. I kinda want to try one now. But my bike always has 2 flat tires and never shifts right... Maybe someday.

It sounds like you have a pretty good relationship with your trainer. That is good to hear. Just don't get into anything your not comfortable with. For instance the bike pedals. If you want normal ones he should respect that. But all in all it sounds like he has really been helping you!

Keep on keeping on!

• Like 1

Bicycles are complicated. There are specific kinds of pedals out there? :o But at least he's having you focus on one thing at at time instead of LEARN ALL THE THINGS AT ONCE!

Your training sounds so exciting. I'm excited. It makes me want to fly over to the fitness center for my training now. :D

• Like 1

It's sounds like your coach is trying to ramp up your skills quickly. I like that.

Clipless pedals aren't that difficult, you'll figure them out quickly. Decent flat pedals like the VP Vice and skate shoes (Vans or even better 5-10s) are reasonably efficient. Sorry, I don't know how to link on my phone. That might be a good option for you, for now.

Cruisers are triathlon bikes are opposite ends of the spectrum. I'd suggest an in between step. Getting your body into a race position and holding it there takes some mobility and specific strength.

When I worked in a bike shop a million years ago, I sold flat bar road bikes to people trading up their "old lady" bikes for their first tri. Or a bike with road sport or endurance geometry. An expensive version is the Specialized Roubaix a more affordable option is the Marin Argenta. They're road bikes, but the geometry lets you sit more upright and the handling is more stable.

If you're building up that frame you could build it upright too if it's geometry isn't too extreme.

Feel free to PM me if you want to talk bikes. If you're an overthinker, though, just do what your coach says.

• Like 1

@cn3wton - R is a really good trainer.  He's been a pleasure to work with.  He encourages me to do better and tells me both what I'm doing right and what I'm doing wrong.  In classes (he teaches classes at the gym too) he doesn't yell at you like some trainers do.  He will call you by name and tell you to go faster or two correct your form, but he's not mean about it.  I've taken classes before where the trainer was mean about correcting you and I didn't go back. I don't go to the gym to be screamed at. R's also really good about motivating us all.  He's got two facebook pages set up where he posts our accomplishments for everyone to see, one for all his clients, and one for the team.  He posts what we're doing well here so that we can help support each other too, and it really helps.  When you lose a few pounds or have a week when you don't lose anything it's nice to have the support of other people going through the same thing; for the team page he gets us to post our upcoming races and finish times, and his wife tried to get photos of everyone crossing the finish line.  I have that kind of support here, but some people don't. He's really making us a community instead of us never working with anyone but him, and it's great.  

@blkhole - From what I've learnt there are three or four types of pedals.  The normal bike pedal that I have on my road bike, some sort of pedal with a cage that goes over your foot, a pedal where you tighten a strap over your foot, and the pedals he wants me to get where your shoe is hooked to the pedal.  The reason for the last three types from what I've read is because they allow you to move forward by not just pushing your foot down, but by pulling it up to. There is a lot of information out there about how this works, and basically it all comes down to this: by having your foot attached to the pedal you go faster. For a serious athlete you want this because it'll knock time off your race.  For me I want to be able to catch myself if I crash, so I'm not too sure about it.  I know that it mostly comes down to practice. If I start with the fancy pedals once I've learnt how to use the breaks and gears it'll help me go faster quicker, but until I know how to stop and go I'm not worried about going fast. :tongue:

@sloth - thanks. I've been reading up on things by looking things up online, but it's hard to tell what's real and what isn't. So if you don't mind sending me some information about pedals and bikes an all I'd really appreciate it.  At least then I'll know it's coming from a credible source instead of what I randomly find on google! He wants me to practice and work for now on his wife's bike, which is a modified cross between a road bike and a cruiser, while I pay for mine.  I asked him about just going with a cheaper bike this morning during our session and he said the only bad thing about that would be that in 6 months I'd have to upgrade anyways.  I'm hoping that if I use his wife's bike for a month or two, that by the time the one he wants me to use is ready I'll be ready.  At least her's doesn't have gears for me to figure out, just hand breaks. I know that this morning changing from the exercise bike to the spin class bike was a big difference in how I had to sit and everything, so it could be that's part of the reason he insists that I need to take spin classes now, to get used to the different body position.

So when I was talking to my trainer this morning about my bike he mentioned that he knows someone who can custom paint it if I want.  It's currently blue.  I like blue.  But now I've spent the whole morning thinking of color combinations and such. It's horrible. I'm already spending a fortune on this bike, and now I keep telling myself, you can get it in any color too! *sigh* This bike is going to end up being the most expensive thing I own. 

• Like 1

Tired from today's jog, 4 miles is much longer than I realized! But looking forward to tomorrow.  

Yesterday after work I picked up R's wife's bike.  R insisted that I use it tomorrow as it'll be much lighter, and thus faster and easier, than what I've been using.  I had to head to his house, where he builds bikes in the shed.  Because B doesn't ride very often he had taken it apart for pieces and I had to wait for him to re-assemble it.  He also went ahead and gave me the frame for the other bike too. While working on the bike he asked me to help him put together some stuff for his website he wants to build.  He hopes to create a website teaching beginners how to do triathlons. He was able to get most of the bike together, but not the breaks or the handlebars.  I went ahead and took the bikes home.

10685416_10204230025342389_3450195078559

10396301_10204230025622396_4447700537816

Today was the four mile run/walk for the Chamber of Commerce.  Team Cypress, won for the biggest team, and the first guy and gal were from our team. I alternated jogging and walking and managed to find my four miles in one hour nine minutes, which is only slightly longer than I finished my 5K in even though it was much longer! R had picked up what he thought was all the supplies he needed fix the breaks and handlebars, but he turned out to not have everything he needed, so he fixed what he could then I headed to a local bike shop to get the last bit done.  I explained what I needed and told the guy who owns the shop that I was using the bike for a triathlon tomorrow and how I was just starting them.  He was really happy for me and went ahead and fixed everything right then instead of making my wait for him to have extra time. :) 

My first ride on the bike with hand breaks was nice.  The first time I had to stop it was at train tracks for a crossing train, so I was a bit nervous about making sure I got things right, but I had half a block to stop, so I figured it out just fine. :)  Then I headed to the park where I made a lap around everything. This bike is so much faster.  It's great.  I have to admit, I'm glad B made R put the high handlebars on it, I don't know if I'd be able to ride hunched over for very long as I'm not used to it. I'm going to be headed out in the morning, it's about a two hour drive, so I have to leave quite early. One other person from the team is going, a guy I've never met, but R had us exchange numbers so we can say 'Hi' to each other tomorrow. I'm looking forward to tomorrow, it will be a challenge, but I think it'll be fun.

• Like 1

Finished my second Triathlon yesterday and it was even more fun that the first one! This one was the Sugarman Triathlon in Youngsville, La.  It was a 500 meter swim in open water, a 15 mile bike, and a 5K run. I finished in 2:44:45.

No one I knew was going to be there, but there was one other member of my Triathlon team who was going.  I had never met him before, but R insisted that I trade phone numbers and facebook info with G so that we could say hi to each other before the race.  I am an extremely shy person, so this was a bit nerve racking.  I do well with talking to people online, or making chit chat in person if I know I;ll never see them again, but to call up someone out of the blue is a bit much. But I had made myself promise when I first started lessons with R to do what he said (unless I had a good reason not to), so I sent G a message on facebook saying that I was going to be at the race too. 

Sunday morning I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep at 3am, so finally at 3:30 I gave up trying sleep and went ahead to get ready.  Good thing too, because it took me 15 minutes to find my shorts. Next time I will lay everything out the night before! I wore the team shirt R had given me even though it's slightly too small. I figure if it means so much to him that I represent the team I'll go ahead and wear it.  Turns out pretty much everyone was wearing clothing that was slightly too small, :lol: I fit right in.  I think they are wearing their clothing tight though because it's more aerodynamic, while mine is just too small. :tongue: At any rate, I found the place pretty easily and parked my car in the grass near the subdivision where the race was being held.  It was pretty chilly out and the grass was wet, which made my feet really cold.  Next time I'll also be bringing extra socks! I picked up my information and time chip.  I also received lots of complements from people about the bike I had borrowed from R, It really stood out as it's a combination of a cruiser and a road bike, and everyone else had racing bikes. I found my spot and began setting things up.  The people setting up around me were incredibly nice.  I have to say, I had always assumed that as triathlons are individual events people would be focused only on themselves, but both last week and this week I received so much encouragement from other racers who are thrilled to see people doing the sport they love so much.  It's amazing. When G arrived he came over and said hi, we talked for a bit about the race, I have to admit, I'm glad R made me trade numbers with him, because it was nice to see someone from the same team even if I didn't know him. I also ran into a lady who had entered Girl Power last week as her first triathlon too! We were both really excited to be doing a second one. :) Eventually 7:40 arrived and it was time to head towards the start of the race.

The swim portion was to take place in a pond in the middle of the subdivision.  It had a dock with steps leading down into the water in some parts, and an area to jump from in another.  As females were the last wave of swimmers to leave we would have to jump off the dock, because the first three waves of swimmers would be using the steps to climb out of the water. Later I was told that several people had seen a snake under the dock. Anyways, it was really cold, and I was worried about the water being cold, but another swimmer assured me that once you got in the water you're fine, it the first few seconds after you jump in and right after you climb out that you are cold.  She advised me to go ahead and jump into the water when the second wave left.  This gives your body time to adjust while the third wave lines up and starts.  I took her advice and it worked.  However I was not prepared for the mud at the bottom of the pond! It's foolish of me I know that ponds are muddy at the bottom but it still caught me by surprise after swimming just in a pool. Our wave of racers also had a team called Angie's Angels, which are athletes pulling  boats with paralyzed people in them so that they can race too. That is so incredibly awesome of them.  They had three race teams, one was a teen girl being pushed/pulled by two women working together, one I didn't get a look at, and one was a 5 or 6 year old kid racing with a man I assume to be his/her father.  I have to admit, it's so cool that people have found a way to race like this. Anyways, after team three started all the women lined up, and eventually our wave began. Because we were the last wave we started 8 minutes after the race began.  I'm fine with this though because it meant I didn't have to worry about getting run over by another racer. (R had warned me to stay towards the side or back), however, I'd think that if you were a faster female wanting to win the over all title being forced to start at the end of the race would be a huge disadvantage. We started our swim and it was chaos. Hand and feet kicking everywhere. People bumping into one another.  One lady had the Angie's Angle boat go over the top of her and pull her goggles and cap off.  Speaking of goggles. They kept the water out of your eyes, but it was too murky to see anything. I couldn't even see my hands in front of my face. As everyone made for the first buoy things calmed down a bit.  The fast swimmers got ahead of everyone else, and slow people like me had room to swim at last. I got bumped into by one of the Angel's boats a couple of times as the swimmers pulling them couldn't really control where the boats went. There were also several people in kayaks paddling around to tow anyone who couldn't make it back to shore. Not having anything to push off of makes the swim seem much longer than it is. At least one guy was towed out of the water, and one lady had to swim right next to a kayak because she wasn't sure if she could make it or not. A lot of times the swim would get difficult as people were not looking where they were going and would bump into you. I didn't get kicked by anyone, but I did have people swimming crookedly back and forth in front of me that I had to keep dodging. Eventually I made it back to the dock.  I was the last one out of the water, and the path to the transition area was very slippery.

It was still windy, but the bike ride was mostly in the sun, so I dried out in no time and the wind felt good.  The ride was pretty much all flat with one or two little hills.  I never though I'd say it, but I actually missed the bridges from the last race, because even though they were horrible to go up at least you could coast down the other side! After my first mile or two I ran into the first biker coming back. I was quite proud that I had finished my swim before the first biker made it back, unlike last time there the first person had finished before I even got into the water! It was a long way after him that I finally encountered the second and third biker. A few miles in I saw my team mate making his way back.  For a while the guy pulling the kid for the Angel's team and I alternated for last place.  He was faster than me, but the kid kept telling him to slow down so they could see better. :lol: I can't say I blame the kid though as the scenery was beautiful.  I suppose the fast people missed it, but that is one advantage to being slow. :) The road was open to traffic, so that was a bit nerve wracking. There were cars and trucks passing us pretty regularly, including some gravel trucks. The road also had a lot of pot holes,but that's normal for rural Louisiana. The race people had spray painted around them so you could see them long before you got there and move around them. The course wound through the countryside for a while before finally doubling back on itself at mile 10 or so. I have to admit, seeing mile ten felt great, because that was where the bike had ended last race and every little bit further I went was further than I had ever biked in a single session before. :) It was exhausting though, and I was so relieved every two miles when a marker showed up. I was pretty far behind everyone else by this point, but eventually I made it back to the subdivision and reached the transition area. 

The first few steps I was so glad to have my bike to hold on to.  Without it helping support me I likely would have fell over.  By the time I made it to the rack I was at last sure of my footing.  A few people had finished by this time, so once I headed out they announced people could pick up their bikes.  A good bit of people cheered me on, telling me that the worst was over, and that the 5k is the easy part. Ha,this is the worst part for me as jogging is what I'm really bad at. However, I pushed my self through it and made myself alternate 60 seconds of jogging with every 60 seconds I walked.  At first my jogging was even slower than my walking because my legs were so tired, but as I neared the first mile things got better.  I had a better feel for my feet, and I was still slow, but at least I didn't feel like I was going to fall over.  They had a couple water booths set up, which was so nice. Lots of people were on there way back and told me to keep it up, which was very helpful. It's nice to know that people who just did what you are attempting to do think you can make it. Eventually I made it to the half way mark, yay! On my way back one of the volunteers jogged with me.  He was picking up the marker signs, and kept me company for about a mile as he did so.  When he left me I just had to make it back up the main road to the pond, then around the pond to the finish line.  As I approached the pond the award ceremony was beginning. So I had lots of people cheering as I approached.  Part of the path did pass through the ceremony, so I had to dodge a couple of kids.  The last half mile around the lake was tough as I was exhausted and started crying because I was so happy it was almost over. Jogging is tough, jogging with tears leaking out your eyes is tougher. I had to walk some of it as I was too tired to keep jogging. Eventually I made it to the final stretch.   I managed to jog the whole way in and had people cheering for me as I did so.  I crossed the finish line into the middle of the award ceremony. Literally.  The finish line ended with me standing right next to the award platform. The announcer made an announcement that I was the last one to finish and she had me get my picture by the platform. The crown cheered for me. It was so awesome. :) I then managed to make my way to a near by bench and one of the volunteers brought me water and a banana and told me to try to eat it. I watched the rest of the ceremony and talked to a few people. Everyone congratulated me on finishing and I talked with a few of them about their triathlons. 

After everything was over I gathered all my stuff up and made my way back to my car.  A few people stopped me on the way to congratulate me for finishing. After the race everyone wants to stop and talk.  It was nice, because I enjoyed talking to everyone and hearing about their race.  Finally I headed home.  The funny thing was, after a shower and a nap I was still exhausted and sore but couldn't sit still. I considered going to the gym to swim, but when I checked the gym hours they were already closed for the day.  I think that was the best thing about the day, even though I was tired, I'm so used to exercising and doing stuff that I was ready to go to the gym!

• Like 4

Photos:

I didn't take many as I was too busy, but here are the few I got.  The race did have a professional photographer out there and they said they are going to email us the pictures we are in, so I may have some more soon.

Me at 4am getting ready to drive to the race.

1422349_10204235199911750_16705040904490

My award glass.

10509699_10204238142505313_4462934847712

The time sheet with my times. Bib number 256, Bethany Simpson.

1618437_10204238143065327_33927253882234

• Like 2

Yesterday was kind of boring after the weekend being so intense. I swam in the morning, spent most of my shower trying to scrub my race numbers off with only a little success, they're faded now, but if you're looking for them you can still see them. :lol: When I made it home from work I saw that R hadn't yet entered anything in my training schedule for the week, so I texted him about it.  He said that Monday was to be a rest day and not do anything, and that he'd have everything else posted soon as he was figuring out what he wanted me to do this week. I guess I shouldn't have swam in the morning after all, but I miss it when I don't! A little while after that I got my schedule for the week, and wow, it's going to be busy. Today (Tuesday) I have strength training and rowing class. Tomorrow I have a two hour bike ride and a 1500 yard swim, Thursday an hour jog. Friday my session with him (he hasn't said yet if it'll be strength training, swimming, biking, or jogging, but he told me over the weekend he plans to change them up each week.) Then Saturday I have a 1500 yard swim, a an hour and a half bike ride, and a 5 mile jog.  I thought I'd have an easy weekend as I didn't have a race scheduled, but he had other plans. :P Then Sunday I have an ice bath and rest.  I looked up ice baths online and they don't seem very pleasant. It's going to be a busy week! He told me that the reason he's upping my training is because he's looked at the time limits for the half Ironman I signed up for and he wants to make sure I can do everything with in the race times.

I did my strength training this morning and I'm much better at it than I used to be! :D Several things were too easy with the amounts I've been using, so I moved them to a more difficult setting.  I'm using the leg machines at the gym.  I'm not crazy about them, but I don't think I know enough about the techniques for lifting to do the free weights.  I've ordered the starting strength book, and plan to read through it once it arrives, then I'll talk to R about changing out the leg machines for free weights. I'll also likely at that time make him change one of my Friday sessions with him to a weight lesson instead of a swim/bike/jog lesson.  

Food wise I am still forgetting to log my food, but I am focusing on what I'm eating better.  Yesterday was tough as I made the mistake of going grocery shopping hungry. Everything looked good and I wanted so bad to grab a bag of chips and tub of dip, but I know that if I had grabbed it I would have eaten the whole thing in one sitting.  I did grab a thing of ice cream bars, but I made myself get the expensive ones that only have three bars to a box instead of the cheap bars with 12 to a box.  I figure this way I can have a treat a couple of times this week instead of eating one or two every day because I want to get rid of the box. I managed to pick up a few more crock pot type meal things, so that when I get home tonight from work and rowing class I won't have to think about cooking and will be able to make better choices.

I've been doing great in my relax quest and have managed to find time to enjoy myself each day.  Ironically though, when I try to read a book or play a video game these days I find myself wanting to get up and go for a walk or a swim! After spending all day sitting at work, the last thing I want to do at home these days is sit down. :lol:

Thanks. :D I've gotten hooked on them. Looking forward to my next one.  I actually considered signing up for one for this weekend, but I've promised my trainer I won't sign up for any more without talking to him first. However, I'm basically doing one on my own this weekend as he has me scheduled for a swim, bike, and jog. :lol:  On the 18th I have my next one.  It is roughly the same length as the one I did this past weekend, so I want to see if I can make my time just a little faster. :)

I love reading about your tri's!  I want to do them someday.  Make sure you enjoy using that glass knowing what you did to earn it!  You have worked so hard, made fantastic improvements, and have inspired others along the way.  Many go through their entire lives never trying and finding out what they can do.  Who knows maybe one of those people your trainer talks to using you as an inspiration or a stranger from the crowd at the tri or your gym may find that bit of courage to try something they always wanted to do because they saw someone living their dream.  They saw the pride you had in yourself, the sense of satisfaction on your face, the results of dedication/perseverance/passion, and the elation of completing something amazing...then and only then they decide they want that, they want to try, and they do it.  What a wonderful compliment even if you never hear it or see it to know that you inspired them to do more all because you dared to do more.

So I guess saying you ROCK is an understatement but it is true.  You may not always get the support from where you hope or expect it but I have found the best support one can have is believing in themselves, digging deep to find that spark, and deciding that "I am worth it".  You have that.  Keep at it, keep believing in yourself, love that new bike, and swim/bike/run on!

• Like 1

Thank you. :) The last few weeks have been amazing.  I've received so much support from other people, and to realize that other people are seeing me doing this and making them want to do it too has been incredible.  R has told me that he's actually had a couple of his other students start asking him if he thinks they could do one after they saw me doing it.  I actually had one of them run over the other day to talk to me because she was taking classes with him and decided to do her first 5K after hearing about me.  Each time someone tells me that they've read/heard about me and want to do something like this too it gives me more motivation to keep going.  :D

• Like 1

I keep thinking I should sign up for a triathlon, but then I talk myself out of it (most recently, in early-mid August I thought maybe I should do one at the end of August, but talked myself out of it saying that my 5k time was my goal right now). And I really could have just gone out and done the try a tri distance, though getting into the pool a couple times would probably have been advisable (if I had to swim 200m nonstop tomorrow, I'd probably do it breaststroke). My excuse now is that it's now the off season and I can't even sign up for next year's races yet :)

• Like 1