Anaticula: Fish on a Bicycle

Anaticula

Congrats on your 2nd tri. Sounds like you're turning into a tri-aholic! Not that there is anything wrong with that! [emoji2]

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

My excuse now is that it's now the off season and I can't even sign up for next year's races yet :)

Basically my reason for not signing up for a tri yet! I've been looking at ones in my area, but they're all for mid to late 2015 and I only take into consideration international races that far in advance -- and I'd rather have my first tri be short, relatively cheap, and close to home! But with the Scouts mini this week, I'm going to try to hop in the pool as a way to break the ice, as it were, into swimming again.

This is all your doing, btw, Anaticula. :love_heart:

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Congrats on completing another tri!!  You are amazing!!  You have incredible commitment and determination and inspiring others by doing these events.  I am so happy for your success!

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

Thanks everyone. I've really been enjoying myself with these. :)

I have to admit, for the first one, something short and close to home is probably best.  It's a lot tougher to finish that first one than you think it is if you aren't used to swimming, biking, and running all back to back! I'm glad I signed up for a very short one for my first one.  It gave me the confidence to do more.  From what I hear we're moving out of tri season into running season, so it'll be spring before there are lots of them again, but I found that there are lots of towns that have small triathlons all the time.  The facebook page my team uses has posts for at least one every week! And if you google for triathlons in your area there are lots of websites that let you look up races.  The ones I've used so far are: http://www.active.com/ ; http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/ ; and http://www.imathlete.com/ . between all of these it'd be easy to find a race every week!

I was off work yesterday as I had a doctor's appointment.  I know that whenever you start a new exercise program you are supposed to talk to your doctor about it, and yesterday was the first opening he had available, plus I was due for my yearly check up. I slept 'late' meaning I didn't wake up until 5:30 am and then headed for the pool.  R had assigned me to swim 1,500 yards, and I managed to do it in an hour. It still amazes me when I can do stuff like that because I started out barely being able to swim at all.  I makes me proud to see how far I have come.  After my swim I headed to the doctor's office.  They had drawn my blood previously, so he had the report waiting.  I'm doing fine with everything, good and bad cholesterol are both at very good levels, blood sugar is fine, blood pressure was fine, etc. Other than being over weight I'm healthy. I then brought up my exercise plan.  I explained how I've lost 15 lbs since July, and 2 inches around my waist, hips, and chest. And the doctor was pretty impressed.  I told him that I had recently completed two triathlons and was planning to give the half Ironman a try in April if I can get my times good enough, and my doctor told me to go for it.  I showed him the notebook I've been keeping my workouts and weight loss logged in, and he glanced over everything. He told me that from what he can see my trainer has me on a good plan and that it's working as I'm loosing weight at a good pace. He then told me to just keep doing what my trainer told me to do. He said the only thing he would change would be to add in more strength training and do it a couple times a week instead of just once. (Pretty much everything he said concerning this was a repeat of what Steve, Stacy, and Anthony spoke about on the NF blog or at camp.) We then discussed diet. And the first words out of his mouth were "I'm not putting you on diet pills." :lol: It's good to have a doctor who doesn't try to give you the easy way out.  I told him that I wasn't interested in pills, but have heard so much about different diets, that I wasn't sure which one to go with.  He said that it all boils down to two things, calories in vs calories out, and finding what works for you (again, the same things Steve, Stacy, and Anthony covered at camp and on the blog).  We then went on to discuss the gym, as he's a member of the same gym, and I told him about my rowing classes and now he's thinking of giving the class a try. I have to say it was a pretty good doctor's visit. And very reassuring too, it's nice to hear that the people you are listening to know what they are talking about.

After my appointment I headed home to work on some stuff, then that afternoon I went out for my bike ride.  R had me scheduled for a 2 hour bike ride.  I managed to get my first ten miles in slightly under an hour, and it felt great.  I no longer have to stop every mile or so for water and to stand giving my legs and seat a break.  Now, after that first ten miles, my stops did become more often, as I'm not completely used to everything yet, but I love being able to go for longer distances and times between stops.  At about an hour and forty minutes I noticed my left foot was jerking when I pedaled, so I pulled over to see what was going on. The part where the pedal is attached to the bike (the guy at the bike shop called it the crank I believe) was coming loose. I rode to the front of the park and it steadily grew worse, so I finally just got off and started pushing it. I didn't want the bike to fall apart with me on it! The bike shop is on my way home from the park, so I stopped in and explained what was going on.  He had it tightened in no time and sent me on my way without letting me pay.  It took him less than a minute, so I suppose he didn't feel it was worth charging for, plus stuff like that gets repeat customers. :P The bike shop guy has been very helpful both times I've been in there. It never ceases to amaze me how nice people can be. :)

After I got home I gave my mom a call and explained to her that I was borrowing the bike from my coach, and going to buy the other one from him, and asked if she wanted the cruiser.  She did, so I brought it over to her.  I hope she gets more use out of it than I did as it's a very nice bike, just too heavy for triathlons!

Today I just have a walk scheduled, but I swam this morning instead.  I plan to do my walk when I get home tonight. 

Food wise I'm doing well. Although I'm not logging my food I am thinking more about what I'm eating, and because I'm making better choices the weight is coming off faster.  I'm now down to 294 pounds. That's already a pound this week, and my official weigh in isn't until tomorrow. :) R is offering a motivation challenge for his clients on facebook this month.  Whomever loses the most weight get a free hour long session with him. Talk about a mixed blessing, :lol: He's a great trainer, but 30 minutes at a time is quite an intense session, I don't know if I'd want a full hour lesson with him teaching just me. Right now when I train with T on Fridays the lesson is an hour, but as his attention is divided between the two of us, it's not as intense as when I've had sessions where it's just he and I. I know T's last lesson is soon, so I need to find out from him what he has planned for my session tomorrow.  Not sure if it will be swimming or something else. I need to find out today so I'll bring the correct clothing with me tomorrow.

As crazy as it sounds, I'm really looking forward to Saturday. He has me doing a massive workout session, it would actually be easier if I had signed up for a race this weekend! But I've reached the point where I enjoy my training and think it fun.  If I were to tell myself at the beginning of summer about this weekend I'd laugh and think not in a million years, but now I can't wait. I still have doubts about whether I want to do the ice bath Sunday though...

• Like 3

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Truly amazing!  I am so glad to hear that you have found something that you enjoy so much.  Between your love of swimming and your tri's you have certainly found your element.  Soon you'll be a seasoned expert.  I love hearing about your progress!  

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Huzzah!  Good doctor's appointments are so awesome (and rare).  You're really kicking a lot of butt this challenge, go you!  Your momentum is awesome!!!!!!!!

Good luck with the diet clean-up.  It's the toughest thing, I think - harder than forming an exercise habit, in my opinion - but it's so rewarding when you finally get into the groove.

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

It all sounds great.  I always look forward to training too.  It is a mental shift that is such a bonus especially when you really did not believe you would ever feel that way.

• Like 1

Food Fight - current challenge

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

2015 - 22.5 bugs consumed

Chasing down the most awesome version of myself one step at a time.

The Character Battle Log 1 Daily Mile

Ice baths are one of those things that maybe have a small effect, or may just be a placebo. So if you try it and really really hate it, you've got an excuse not to keep doing it ;)

http://www.runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/ice-bath-update (and he's got reports on several other studies under the ice bath tag - http://www.runnersworld.com/tag/ice-bath)

• Like 1

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Today is a very crazy day.  Slightly over a year ago I was laid off from my job. What happened was a lady in another department had her job cut, but because she had worked there longer than me they could not fire her.  Instead they had to offer her my job.  She took it. I don't blame her, she had been there 20 years.  I'd have taken it too.  At any rate, I was able to find a job within a few weeks paying twice what I was making at my old job.  I took it and thought I was very lucky.  The last year has proved otherwise.  While the money is nice.  Really nice. I have been bored out of my mind and in over my head.  Some days I have nothing to do, other day I am assigned tasks that I have no clue how to do.  I receive no help with my assigned tasks, and as a result I've been very sad about my job for the past year.  I've thought about looking for work in other areas, but as I'm still getting my degree I'm not going to be able to find a similar job where I'll actually be able to do my work and be properly trained for at least another two years. Because the pay is good I've been telling myself for the past 6 months to just though it out for a few more years.  But I will admit I job hunt weekly, hoping something with equal pay that I can do will turn up.  No luck.  Well today I received a phone call from my old job. The lady who replaced me hasn't worked out, not sure if she quit or if she was fired, and because of the way the law works they have to offer me the spot before they can offer it to anyone else. I want to take my job back so badly.  I miss my co-workers and my student workers.  I miss the environment.  Hell, I even miss the crazy patrons we worked with. If it weren't for one thing I'd have taken the job back on the spot.  It's a huge pay cut.  About half my salary, and I'm supposed to be getting a 10% pay raise this month. I know that most people would argue it's better to tough out the higher paying job for two more years, I mean it's slightly over $20,000 a year! That's a huge pay cut! But I hate my job. Is sticking with a job I hate for two years of my life really worth $40,000? I suppose with the money I could pay off my car, and start saving for a house, but lets be honest, I'll likely spend it on crap I don't need and eating out or other junk like that.  If I take the pay cut I will still be able to pay all my bills, I'll just have to budget everything and not buy random crap. (I've already decided I'm getting my bike, no matter what. Even if I do have to save for it for a long time.) It's a really tough decision. I've got a lot to think about.  I've talked to my brother that I roommate with and he will be willing to pick up the slack in the rent if it turns out the pay cut is worse than I though, but I hate the idea of having to borrow money from him.  I've talked to my dad and he says that sticking with a job you hate will lead to depression and misery, but that the pay cut can be just as bad because it can lead to debt.  But that the choice is up to me.  I just don't know at this point. I've got a few more days to think about it.  Just wanted to post here in hopes that talking about it willhelp me think about my choices. This is a decision that will shape my life for the next few years and I shouldn't make it lightly.

Level 6 Magikarp

Wow, that is a huge decision to make. If I were in your position, the first thing I would do (and I'm not saying this is what you should do, but what I would do), is work out a monthly budget to see if I could actually afford to take a huge pay-cut. If I could realistically live on the lower wage for 2 years then I'd write a pros and cons lists of each job. I'd also look at which job would help me in the future, which one would give me better career prospects or would be a good jumping off point for the career I wanted.

At the end of the day, you have to spend a large portion of your day at your job, so you want it to be something that makes you happy, not miserable. Even if it is just for 2 years.

Good luck with everything!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I've talked to my family about it and they have offered their opinions.  My dad says that while staying with the higher paying job is the smarter decision financially, sticking with a job you don't care for is really difficult. My mom says stick with the higher paying job because you can save more that way and to keep job hunting until something that pays better comes along. I've talked to a few former co-workers.  One said don't come back.  She said although she personally would love to have me back she thinks it would be a bad decision as lots of other people are leaving due to the disruption the campus budget is causing (I work at a community college library now, would be moving to a university library if I take the old job back.  Education is not a priority for the local government and they have been cutting the university budget for the past 6 years or so.) Another co-workers said that she would love to have me back, and that there is supposed to be a 4% pay increase for all employees this year.  She suggests I find out if I would qualify for the pay increase or not before I make any decisions. I've also posted on facebook asking for advice on the situation, and most people seem to be of the opinion that I should stick with my current job. Their reasons being: if you were laid off once, they will lay you off again; the change in work schedule means you won't be able to play D&D on Sunday; the change in work schedule means you won't be able to join us for triathlons as many of them are on Sunday; No more Tuesday night rowing class; triathlons are expensive, you need to stay with the higher paying job; and will I still be able to afford my gym and trainer if I go to the other job.

Yesterday I was leaning toward changing jobs, today I'm leaning towards keeping this one.

I'm now debating if the reason I don't like this job is because it's not a good job, or is it my own fault for not making the most of it? I can here really missing my old job, so it's possible that I sabotaged myself when I started by deciding it wasn't going to be as good as my old job.  Maybe if I give it more of a chance it could be better.

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

I work at a community college as well.  Budgets are rough in general.  They keep cutting and cutting to the point it is hard to do our jobs and support students.  Anyway these places can change quickly and a lot.  It sounds as if some of the people you liked are now leaving too.  So it may not be as wonderful as you remember it.  

That is a tough choice.  Have you tried the old Positive vs Negative list for each?  Also if your old work may give a 4%, is there a chance they are willing to bring you back at a slightly higher pay because people want you back?  Never hurts to ask.

• Like 2

Yeary Bug Count 0... if you are out and about then you are probably eating bugs. :onthego:

I concur with Sloth.  If you make a pros and cons list I would suggest giving weighted scores.  Fitness is clearly important to you and no doubt you can still accomplish your goals on a tighter budget but you would have to give up some of the things that have contributed to your success so far.  That doesn't mean stick with the new job but make sure that the benefits of leaving the job you dislike is properly weighted against your current success and future goals.  

• Like 2

Spoiler

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

I have a pro and cons list, and I'm writing everything out.  I think that mostly the problem with the new job is two fold.  1st, I've always been an introvert and have a hard time working with people I don't know, especially if it means approaching them on their ground.  I have to do that here, didn't have to at Sims. 2nd - I like knowing exactly what I am supposed to be doing and when, and I don't have that here. Job tasks change at the drop of a hat, I receive little to no training on what I'm supposed to be doing and am often simply assigned a task with nothing else.  No help, no check this out if you don't know how to do it, no due date. It's driving me crazy.  At Sims I knew exactly what I was supposed to do when. Basically if I'm going to stay at this job I have to change myself to fit what the company needs. Change scares me. I've never done well with it. That being said though, the advantages of staying are huge. Better pay, which means I can afford the gym, coach, bike, and triathlons (I could afford some of these, but would have to really budget for the others if I go to Sims) and better hours, which means I have time to do the triathlons and D&D hangouts. I want so bad to go back to what I'm used to, but I know that staying is better for me physically and financially.  It's tough.

• Like 3

Level 6 Magikarp

In non-job related news, my trainer has asked me to put together a beginner's guide to triathlons for him to post on his website. He's been doing them for years, and says he sees things differently than a beginner would, so he wants me to write it.  I've written up everything I could think of.  Would you all please read over it and let me know if you see anything I'm completely wrong about or that needs to be re-worded to make sense?

Here is the link.

Thanks!

Oh, and my trainer's reply to me considering changing jobs, 'If you leave this job you won't be able to write. You can become a recognized triathlon writer one day!' :lol: he does like to set the bar high.

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

I have a pro and cons list, and I'm writing everything out.  I think that mostly the problem with the new job is two fold.  1st, I've always been an introvert and have a hard time working with people I don't know, especially if it means approaching them on their ground.  I have to do that here, didn't have to at Sims. 2nd - I like knowing exactly what I am supposed to be doing and when, and I don't have that here. Job tasks change at the drop of a hat, I receive little to no training on what I'm supposed to be doing and am often simply assigned a task with nothing else.  No help, no check this out if you don't know how to do it, no due date. It's driving me crazy.  At Sims I knew exactly what I was supposed to do when. Basically if I'm going to stay at this job I have to change myself to fit what the company needs. Change scares me. I've never done well with it. That being said though, the advantages of staying are huge. Better pay, which means I can afford the gym, coach, bike, and triathlons (I could afford some of these, but would have to really budget for the others if I go to Sims) and better hours, which means I have time to do the triathlons and D&D hangouts. I want so bad to go back to what I'm used to, but I know that staying is better for me physically and financially.  It's tough.

So new job = scary, old job = comfortable?

In non-job related news, my trainer has asked me to put together a beginner's guide to triathlons for him to post on his website. He's been doing them for years, and says he sees things differently than a beginner would, so he wants me to write it.  I've written up everything I could think of.  Would you all please read over it and let me know if you see anything I'm completely wrong about or that needs to be re-worded to make sense?

Here is the link.

Thanks!

Oh, and my trainer's reply to me considering changing jobs, 'If you leave this job you won't be able to write. You can become a recognized triathlon writer one day!' :lol: he does like to set the bar high.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a triathlon writer.  

• Like 1

Spoiler

Nice article.  You covered so much information and obviously had learned a lot from your experience.  The only thing that left me hanging just a tad was the bit on drafting.  You mention what it is but not what is generally considered drafting.  Ten inches or 2 feet from the bike in front?  Your article makes it sound so manageable for anyone and covered so many of the questions I had when I first started looking at them.  It was not only friendly sounding but your shared experience in it was wonderful.  

Very cool of your coach asking you to write something.  It is obvious that he is very proud of you and believes you can do anything.  What a great coach.  You never know this may be a start of a new career.  LOL  Seriously.  I hear of people that got into a sport or event as a way to get healthy and eventually they ended up finding a new career or a hobby that helps earn extra money to continually fund their athletic adventures.  :))

• Like 1

@LadyShello - yes.  I like things that are familiar.  I know that my old job wasn't prefect.  There were plenty of times I complained about it too, but I was more comfortable there than I am now where my job and the environment change daily. 

I'm not sure if there is actually a triathlon write career out there, but he has mentioned in the past that his dream is to have his team become a world wide team and website, and I think he's planning on me being the writer for this website. I think that because I am so interested in the triathlons he believes that it'll become my dream to get in the triathlon business so to speak as I get better.  He has also decided that after I complete an ironman race I'm going to write a book to inspire people to try it too. Having a coach that has such high expectations for me is great, but a little overwhelming at times. 

Thanks for looking over the article Suelk, I'll edit that part tonight. :)

• Like 2

Level 6 Magikarp

The photos taken of me at SugarMan can be found here.  I had originally planned to order a few, but they are $12 each for a digital copy.  Way to expensive for me.  So if you want to see them you have to look at them on the photographer's site. :P

• Like 1

Level 6 Magikarp

So glad you got the job business settled. I think being able to support your Fitness habit is a huge win. And remember, no job is forever. You can always change when it's time to move on.

Go, you! Writing articles, generally winning at life. It's awesome. :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Looks like you've had an interesting week! Glad you figured it out. I like what your mom said about the job, that it'll be easier to save with the higher paying job while you job hunt.

Looking forward to more updates.

• Like 1

Jazzy

Fox Demon

Level 3

STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 1 | CON 2 | WIS 6 | CHA 1

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

Spread Sheet

Lvl: 1 |

No Soda PVP - 367/365 days Soda free Starting: 08/30/14 

100%
100%

Great news.  I am sure it is a relief to have made a decision about your job.  I know it was hard but now you can get back to the business of planning your triathlon adventures!  :))  After reading your stuff I decided that next year I am going to go for a duathlon.  Not sure if I can have swimming cleaned up in time for a tri.  It has been so long since I formally swam since being a teenager and $ is not something we have for lessons to clean up strokes.  Not that I will not swim laps anytime I am at the rec center I simply want to swim better and not look totally crazy splashing about.  Being a strong swimmer recruited for swim teams as a teenager and even a life guard to a 45 year old are two completely different worlds!  However you never know.  Add that to another half and a first full marathon and I think my plans for next year are good.  LOL

Definitely see a book in your future or a booklet or more awesome articles.  Heck I wanted to contact Steve and say I know who you should interview next......just sayin'.  That is an interview I would love to listen to when out running.

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines