EmbracingChaos tries to get bigger without getting fat

EmbracingChaos

This challenge will be very similar to my first challenge, in that I want to get bigger without getting fat.  Last challenge I basically gained half muscle, and half fat.  So let's up the ante, and try to do better.  There is a bit more difficulty here however, as my stress level is rising due to starting a new job on the first day of the challenge, and I have to travel to San Francisco for 5 days (for work) the second week of the challenge.  Not to mention normal life stuff that just always gets me worked up, since I'm very much a type A person. That being said, here are my goals:

Main Quest Goals:

• Gain at least 2 lbs. of LBM, with no more than 1 lb. of fat gained for each 2 lbs. LBM (e.g. 2:1 ratio).  This will allow some flexibility, as I could either do a slow clean gain of LBM with minimal fat gain, or gain more of both muscle and fat and then diet away some of that fat in the last week or two.  Measurements will be based off of my calculated weight and body fat trends, as I track them daily and calculate trends using a weighted moving average based on the Hacker's Diet.
    • Grading: A (+5 STR) = 2:1 or better ratio, B (+4 STR) = 2:1.5 ratio, C (+3 STR) = 2:2 ratio, F < 2:2 ratio

• Meditate at least once per day, for at least 5 minutes (hopefully reducing stress and cortisol).
    • Grading: A (+2 WIS, +1 CON) = > 37 days, B (+2 WIS) = > 33 days, C (+1 WIS) = > 29 days, F <= 29 days

• Finish PLP (currently on day 18).
    • Grading: A (+3 STA, +2 CON) = 0 missed days, B (+2 STA, +2 CON) = no more than 2 missed days, C (+2 STA, +1 CON) = no more than 4 missed days, F more than 4 missed days

Life Quest Goal:

• Do my Anki reviews every day. I've just about cleared a massive flashcard backlog over the course of a month, and I don't want to let it get into a such a mess again. A little bit each day is much more manageable, and more effective for retaining the information.
    • Grading: A (+2 WIS) = > 37 days, B (+1 WIS) = > 33 days, F <= 33 days

"Take arrows in your forehead, but never in your back" - Samurai Maxim

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

I THINK Waldo once laid out the logic for eating big, gaining the 50/50 mix, then doing a 1-2 week MAX deep and hard cut while keeping lots of protein coming in.  I believe he pointed out that the accumulated body fat could be shed that way without hampering the lean mass growth.  Maybe look into that?  Strength Unbound is his site/fitness blog where he posts all that stuff.  It may help you with strength and muscle gain with minimal fat gain.

level 4 Gnoll warrior
STR 6|DEX 5|STA 4|CON 5|WIS 5|CHA 2

Building a better Raev, part 1.

Goal: working set of 350# squat, 235# bench, 370# deadlift, 15% or lower BF%

Fix slight pelvic tilt, reinforce lower back to help disc issue

I THINK Waldo once laid out the logic for eating big, gaining the 50/50 mix, then doing a 1-2 week MAX deep and hard cut while keeping lots of protein coming in. I believe he pointed out that the accumulated body fat could be shed that way without hampering the lean mass growth. Maybe look into that? Strength Unbound is his site/fitness blog where he posts all that stuff. It may help you with strength and muscle gain with minimal fat gain.

Thanks, I read through some of his blog. I would agree it's probably better to not try to ride a super fine line and risk not gaining at all. There's that good old Voltaire quote, "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I'd rather not spin my wheels forever trying to find the perfect bulk, and just actually bulk. My simple philosophy of it all is to just always be doing something, whether gaining weight or leaning down.

Battle Log

Hinge HabitsBe Like WaterFailure Should Be WelcomedArchitect Your EnvironmentSet Goals For Processes Not Desires, Minimum Effective Dose 101 

“…there is NO easy way and there are NO short cuts. It takes commitment, intensity, sweat and mental toughness to embrace the challenges that come with getting RESULTS. Go to your garage with nothing but a barbell and crush the basics. Burn down all your bull shit excuses and the short cuts you’ve heard about. Break all the so called rules you’ve been told you must follow and start be a F**ing BOSS when you train….†- Great quote found at http://jasonferruggia.com/throw-away-burn-it-down

Battle Log

Starting stats:

Trends

133.6 lb.

12.4% body fat

Measurements (I really feel that I suck at taking these, but I tried)

31.25" waist unflexed at navel

14" neck right below Adam's apple

Pictures

2014 09 15 front

2014 09 15 side

I did my 5 minutes of meditation right after waking, so that's done for day 1.  Off to workout in a few minutes.

Battle Log

Completed legs workout, PLP, and Anki reviews.  With meditation done this morning that's one day in the books.

Battle Log

Trends

133.6 lb. -> 141.5 lb.

12.4%  -> 13.8% body fat

Measurements 

31.25" waist unflexed at navel -> 33"

14" neck right below Adam's apple -> 14 3/4"

Summary

Muscle: 117 -> 122 = +5 lbs.

Fat: 16.6 -> 19.5 = +2.9 lbs.

Ratio: 5:2.9 = 1.72 lbs. muscle to 1 lb. fat

Pictures

2014 10 27 05.33.26

2014 10 27 05.33.39

Main Quest Goals:
  • Gain at least 2 lbs. of LBM, with no more than 1 lb. of fat gained for each 2 lbs. LBM (e.g. 2:1 ratio).
    • Grading: A (+5 STR) = 2:1 or better ratio, B (+4 STR) = 2:1.5 ratio, C (+3 STR) = 2:2 ratio, F < 2:2 ratio
    • As calculated above I achieved a 1.72 lb. muscle to 1 lb. fat ratio, so I get a C.
  • Meditate at least once per day, for at least 5 minutes (hopefully reducing stress and cortisol).
    • Grading: A (+2 WIS, +1 CON) = > 37 days, B (+2 WIS) = > 33 days, C (+1 WIS) = > 29 days, F <= 29 days
    • I was incredibly inconsistent with this one, I only remembered to do it several days.  Going to port this over to the next challenge, as I feel it is important and I need to make lowering stress a priority.  I get an F.
  • Finish PLP (currently on day 18).
    • Grading: A (+3 STA, +2 CON) = 0 missed days, B (+2 STA, +2 CON) = no more than 2 missed days, C (+2 STA, +1 CON) = no more than 4 missed days, F more than 4 missed days
    • I missed three days.  There is no valid excuse, one day I was traveling all day (but could have done them in the morning), another day I felt like I was getting injured (but could have spread them throughout the day), and another day I was out in town with family all day (again, I just used it as an excuse). I more than made up for the pushups, lunges, and pullups from those days by not including those exercises from my normal workouts in the total though, but no excuses for not meeting the daily act of showing up.  I get a C.

Life Quest Goal:
  • Do my Anki reviews every day.
    • Grading: A (+2 WIS) = > 37 days, B (+1 WIS) = > 33 days, F <= 33 days
    • Inconsistent, and I failed to keep up with them.  I should probably port this over to the next challenge with my meditation goal.  I get an F.
  • Like 1

Battle Log

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines