I've been pondering the effectiveness of the six week challenge format too. On one hand, I like setting up goals, and having somewhere to report back to definitely increases my motivation. But on the other, any time I don't live up to those goals feelings of being a failure are sure to rise. I like your reasoning and understand the desire to remain in the challenge forums; I don't think I'd like to switch either. :) A challenge should not have to have the traditional three quests + main quest, because what is the point of a challenge you make for yourself if you don't enjoy it?

And for the record, I think you've been a great symbol of motivation for the Assassins!

• Like 4

Level 4 Half-Elf Assassin

(that dabbles with the scouts)

Tumblr | Blog | Epic quest

"There is no such thing as perfection. The world itself is imperfect; that's what makes it so beautiful."

It's really a common problem, once you're past the noob routine-forming days.  I don't think it's a huge problem to have a "stay the course" challenge, where your only goal is to keep doing what you're doing, log it in your thread, and participate in guild stuff.  Or, your entire goal could be to take a few steps forward in your Epic Quest.  Or you could just set some very small life goals, but largely just log the exercise stuff.  I feel like I probably belong more in the daily battle logs than in the 6 week challenges, too.  But I like it here, so I'm staying.  You should, too.  Don't worry about it too much.   :)

I'll be doing something of a stay the course/un-challenge Challenge next time around as well. Seems to be hitting a lot of us at the moment.

• Like 1

I've been pondering the effectiveness of the six week challenge format too. On one hand, I like setting up goals, and having somewhere to report back to definitely increases my motivation. But on the other, any time I don't live up to those goals feelings of being a failure are sure to rise. I like your reasoning and understand the desire to remain in the challenge forums; I don't think I'd like to switch either. :) A challenge should not have to have the traditional three quests + main quest, because what is the point of a challenge you make for yourself if you don't enjoy it?

And for the record, I think you've been a great symbol of motivation for the Assassins!

I agree so much with this - and your post, Batwoman. 

I'm having a super hard time with challenges at the moment. I want to do them because I know they're good for me, but the format just isn't cutting it for me. So I say screw the format.

It's just like Nymeria said - it's in place for those that start out. And obviously it helps or none of us would be here today, still doing those challenges. 

I found that during the last challenges, I didn't just come up with things. I had to force myself to think hard and then either came up with goals that didn't really suit what I was going for/what was going on in my life, or way too many goals because I felt like I had to cram every part of my life into the challenge. "Hrm so I've got a fitness goal and a diet goal, now I need another goal - what could I do?" <-- I found that this type of goal-setting doesn't work. So for the next challenge, I looked at what my next 6 weeks will be like, without aiming for anything. And I found that I likely won't have much time to prepare 6 slow-cooker meals a week, do 500 push ups every day before breakfast and become a world champion in one sport or another. I left that out completely and instead thought "In the next few months, what do I have to do? What do I want to do? And what will make this easier?" 

And so, in my next challenge, I'll have a tiny fitness side goal, and will instead be focusing on studying for the bazillion exams coming up. Because it's no use forcing myself into a challenge goal that I know will only set me up for failure. I won't have the traditional setting, and maybe it's not what people would call a challenge, as it's just what I need to excel at what I want to do or need to do during the next time, and even without a challenge I'd do it. But it gives so many of us motivation to have this community to talk to about what happens, and how we're progressing, even if not traditional. To be honest, when reading a challenge I don't really give a hoot about it being traditional. I see people living their life, with ups and downs, and for 6 weeks we get a glimpse of how they do that. What's important to them. And so on.

I feel like this is turning into a super long rambling rant.

TL;DR:

Bats, you're awesome, and you're an inspiration. And you're not an inspiration because you can do a bazillion push-ups (well, you are, but that's not the main reason!) but because of the kind of person that your challenges let us see. So even if you decide that for the next 6 months, you're gonna post a haiku about stinking socks every day because that's just what floats your boat, then so what? If you get motivation out of posting on the challenge boards, and sharing your success and failure, then don't let some form tell you you can't do that because the number of your goals isn't what's suggested.

You rock. 

• Like 5

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

ApfelStrudi is out of control

Great challenge wrap-up. Those kinds of bigger life ideas are so important - often more so than the day-to-day to-do list kind of stuff. It is so easy to get caught up in the daily grind and not look at the bigger picture. Kudos for doing that, and learning so much about yourself. :)

aw bats, you're so super.

take this in the intent it is offered: seeing the struggle that those of you who have already hit awesomesauce success helps me a lot. not that I'm glad to see you struggle, but it reinforces how much of this is about the process and not the goal. I feel like I'm probably about 10-20 lbs away from my body's happy regular weight.... and being so close kind of freaks me out. being able to focus on this being an actual lifestyle is helpful.

also, you rocked this challenge so hard. x.

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Here here.   Tagging on board with a lot of what's already been said.

Honestly ... for me, I have not yet found my 'Level 50' or what my epic quest is aiming me for.    And if I were to take a safe bet, it wouldn't be on anything health or fitness related.    My biggest challenges come from the mental side of things; my confidence, my ability to step out of my comfort zone, to endure through change, etc.   And the format for challenges really focuses on diet and fitness more often than 'life goals'.    Indeed, the specific format seems aimed for the new arrivals.    One of the things I've learned, and that has been reinforced here, is that you have to do what works for YOU.

I also think you were oodles of inspiration during the past 6 weeks.   And one helluva guild leader.    It was my first challenge as an assassin, and I don't think I'll ever be looking back. :)

We'll see you on the next one lady!  In whatever format you end up taking!

• Like 1

Level 69 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines