Discipline Allows You to Live Without Warning

Kishi

Hehe, I do the same to people.  "have you eaten?  Are you SURE you're not hungry?"  Sorry, as Nikki said.

Have fun with the new program!  Great work on the running! 

Yeah, but I'm sure you feed people good things. Whenever I go out to eat with her, it's always at fast food places because that's only places left open whenever we get together. I'm glad she's trying to help; I just wish she had a way to help me that didn't involve pulling me further from the things I'm trying to do.

I did have fun! Lemme share:

-Incline Push Ups: 2xF (16, 10)

-Wall Push Ups: 2xF (17, 18)

-Bent Knee Inverted Rows: 1xF (8)

-Vertical Pulls: 1xF (40)

-Jackknife Squats: 2xF (21, 12)

-Shoulderstand Squats: 2xF (50, 50)

-Wall Triceps Extensions (deeper): 2xF (5, 4)

-Wall Triceps Extensions (shallower): 2xF (6, 5)

-Knee Tucks: 2xF (13, 8)

-Miscellaneous core work.

Playing the introvert card at this point, so still at 4/16 for the compliments game.

Did some planning last night. Have more planning to do tonight. Also, need to get on that marketing system, so need to set aside an hour tonight for that.

Gotta move gotta move gotta move!

Yeah, but I'm sure you feed people good things. Whenever I go out to eat with her, it's always at fast food places because that's only places left open whenever we get together. I'm glad she's trying to help; I just wish she had a way to help me that didn't involve pulling me further from the things I'm trying to do.

Playing the introvert card at this point, so still at 4/16 for the compliments game.

I feel ya, bro. It's quite the predicament. On the one hand, you don't want to offend their generosity, but on the other hand, it's not always good quality nutrition you'll be ingesting. A most difficult predicament indeed. And you can still totally play the introvert card and give compliments. Piggybacking off that whole inner dialogue thing, when was the last time you gave yourself a genuine compliment? (And no, I'm not being facetious when I ask this, as it was a question I had to ask myself recently.)

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

I feel ya, bro. It's quite the predicament. On the one hand, you don't want to offend their generosity, but on the other hand, it's not always good quality nutrition you'll be ingesting. A most difficult predicament indeed. And you can still totally play the introvert card and give compliments. Piggybacking off that whole inner dialogue thing, when was the last time you gave yourself a genuine compliment? (And no, I'm not being facetious when I ask this, as it was a question I had to ask myself recently.)

Yeah, and as I'm a compulsive people-pleaser and goer-along-with-crowds (also my tribal name), I tend to just go with it. After all, I don't want to give the impression that I'm afraid of food or that my results are fragile. You know?

Last time I gave myself a genuine compliment... huh. It's been a while, actually. I've had a lot of things on my mind - dad recently went in for surgery, and I've been meditating pretty hard on why I'm alone and made more conclusions. Although, I saw a picture about body types on Imgur that convinced me that I'm on the right track and that a lot of the things I cared about aren't really worth caring about. I finally looked in the mirror and said, "Not bad, man. Not bad," and meant it all the way down to my bones. That was earlier today, and I smile thinking about it... so it must have been true, right?

• Like 2

I finally looked in the mirror and said, "Not bad, man. Not bad," and meant it all the way down to my bones. That was earlier today, and I smile thinking about it... so it must have been true, right?

I would definitely say that qualifies!

• Like 2

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Yeah, and as I'm a compulsive people-pleaser and goer-along-with-crowds (also my tribal name), I tend to just go with it. After all, I don't want to give the impression that I'm afraid of food or that my results are fragile. You know?

Last time I gave myself a genuine compliment... huh. It's been a while, actually. I've had a lot of things on my mind - dad recently went in for surgery, and I've been meditating pretty hard on why I'm alone and made more conclusions. Although, I saw a picture about body types on Imgur that convinced me that I'm on the right track and that a lot of the things I cared about aren't really worth caring about. I finally looked in the mirror and said, "Not bad, man. Not bad," and meant it all the way down to my bones. That was earlier today, and I smile thinking about it... so it must have been true, right?

I relate to this whole statement more than you know.  I would say if you can look at yourself in that light, it absolutely counts.  

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

I finally looked in the mirror and said, "Not bad, man. Not bad," and meant it all the way down to my bones. That was earlier today, and I smile thinking about it... so it must have been true, right?

YES. the smiling makes it true. YAY!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

this is the best thing. congrats dude :) self-body-positivity highfive!

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Yes, this is good.  *hugs*  Hope your Dad is ok now?

New workout program does look fun!

Dad is okay now. They thought they'd have to cut into his gall bladder and relieve some pressure and ended up having to cut him wide open to get some gallstones out. But, it's done and he's resting and he should be getting the staples out in about a week or so. I told him to sleep and eat well.

It is fun! It's a lot of fun. It's always humbling to see how you can take something that looks easy on paper and turn all the difficulty settings up. Fun game.

this is the best thing. congrats dude :) self-body-positivity highfive!

giphy.gif

Wrote 250 words last night. Need to make a habit of doing both writing and planning if I can. I'm running out of time for November.

Dropped four compliments today. LIKE A BOSS. 8/16. We're also being encouraged to use people's names more at the register, to create a more customer-friendly experience.

Started in on System 9 yesterday... and dropped it. For three reasons:

1. It's bootcamp stuff, and that doesn't play to my strengths.
  2. It assumes that you have the money to spend on incentives and things like that. I don't mind incentives, but I also don't have money.
  3. The guru was not above lying to other business people to gank their clients. He says, and I quote: "This doesn't actually have to be true, this isn't an ethics class." To which I said: "Ah, but alas: I am an ethical person." *CLICK*

So, I started in on another book last night, and it said that if you were only going to be able to personal train part time that you should just give up. So, that book's out.

Now I'm reading a third book, which is very... of the Paul Wade mindset. And it has the endorsement of Joe De Sena, he of the Spartan Races. Gotta find some way to work around, given that I couldn't find work in any of the gyms here.

Tonight's workout: the Athlean Xero Erraticore, a nightmarish mix of mountain climbers and planks. And then some additional core work afterward, 'cuz, why not?

• Like 5

1. The guru was not above lying to other business people to gank their clients. He says, and I quote: "This doesn't actually have to be true, this isn't an ethics class." To which I said: "Ah, but alas: I am an ethical person." *CLICK*

you def made the right call. lying and dishonesty might be a good way to get your business off the ground, but its a shitty way to run something that means a lot to you. if you cant enjoy and be proud of what youre doing, whats the point?

• Like 2

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

Had my gall bladder out almost two years ago.  Hope your dad's recovery continues to be smooth! 

High fives to you, on having the confidence in your vision to reject the spurious advice and continue to search for what will serve you best.  Was it you who recommended "The Slight Edge" to me?  If not, then it might be worth a quick read.  There were definitely some parts that had me going yadda yadda yadda, but overall it was a useful bit of motivation.  You can doooo eeeet!

you def made the right call. lying and dishonesty might be a good way to get your business off the ground, but its a shitty way to run something that means a lot to you. if you cant enjoy and be proud of what youre doing, whats the point?

I'd honestly say it's even a shitty way to get your business off the ground.  For a multitude of reasons, but mainly because it'll eventually come back to bite you in the ass.  Being an ethical business owner may be a bit harder in the short term, but it'll be much better long term.  

• Like 1

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Current Challenge

Also, I Agree With Tank™

Dropped four compliments today. LIKE A BOSS. 8/16. We're also being encouraged to use people's names more at the register, to create a more customer-friendly experience.

1. The guru was not above lying to other business people to gank their clients. He says, and I quote: "This doesn't actually have to be true, this isn't an ethics class." To which I said: "Ah, but alas: I am an ethical person." *CLICK*

Dude...good luck with that. Seriously. I'm horrible with remembering people's names. Also, good call on System 9. In my opinion, good (ethical/moral) business practices make for good business. If you have to deceive, it's not worth it.

• Like 1

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Yeesh, all excellent reasons to drop the system.  As Hiltionsoul and Ormac said, how could you be proud of what you'd done if it was accomplished unethically?  And it WOULD come back a bite you later.  Same with the book, paying the bills is how adults get to live.  Abandon your work and just go for your dream is usually only for people with lots of money.

Hope your Dad has a smooth recovery.  Invasive surgery isn't pleasant to recover from, I'd imagine.

Use of names is a good tactic for both building a more comfortable workplace (we do not consider everyone to be drones!) and for expressing that to customers. 

Since you're working on this sort of thing, is it weird to compliment a guy on his clothing or something?  Is is automatically assumed to be flirting?  Said something to a clubmate the other night and it seemed to be taken as somewhat weird.  We're normally completely cool and buddies.  Nothing even remotely romantic even if he wasn't married.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I'm glad you dad is doing well!!!  Best wishes on a speedy recovery for him!

You are really starting this challenge strong!  Nice work on the workouts!

Thank you on both counts, sir!

Right? This is ultimately why I failed at sales - I always refused to lie to people about what they were getting or who had bought before me, and the encouragement to do so never sat well with me.

But to hell with it. I'll take being an honest failure over the hell of being a fake success. That's just not worth it.

Had my gall bladder out almost two years ago.  Hope your dad's recovery continues to be smooth! 

High fives to you, on having the confidence in your vision to reject the spurious advice and continue to search for what will serve you best.  Was it you who recommended "The Slight Edge" to me?  If not, then it might be worth a quick read.  There were definitely some parts that had me going yadda yadda yadda, but overall it was a useful bit of motivation.  You can doooo eeeet!

Me too! So far my feeds and my phone haven't blown up with bad news, so it must be good. :)

I don't know if I recommended 'The Slight Edge,' but I'll give it a look. Could always use more motivation. Thanks!

I'd honestly say it's even a shitty way to get your business off the ground.  For a multitude of reasons, but mainly because it'll eventually come back to bite you in the ass.  Being an ethical business owner may be a bit harder in the short term, but it'll be much better long term.  

That's how I figure it. I wouldn't want to be the kind of businessman who had bad seeds from the start to sprout into something worse, you know?

one-does-not-simply-double-post.jpg

I'll leave it. :)

Here's what worked for me as far as talking to women. I was at a party. The lady in question got a beer out of the cooler. I got a beer out of the cooler. She commented that she wished she had got the brand of beer I pulled out. I told her, "We'll swap! I don't have cooties!" We're married now so it must have worked.  :rolleyes:

Ha ha, aw. I'll have to get into a position to swap beers with a girl sometime.

Dude...good luck with that. Seriously. I'm horrible with remembering people's names. Also, good call on System 9. In my opinion, good (ethical/moral) business practices make for good business. If you have to deceive, it's not worth it.

Well, one: I'm good at remembering names, and two: the rewards program at Panera will call up a person's name if they have our card, so it's not as daunting a task as it sounds.

Aaand, yeah. This is part of what makes me so twitchy whenever I read success lit or things of that nature. Most of what goes on in sales has always struck me as deceitful on some level, and it's always struck me that the most successful salespeople are the ones who are so deceitful that they can deceive even themselves into believing in the products and such.

This guy just happened to be a touch more honest about what he was doing, and it soured things for me.

Yeesh, all excellent reasons to drop the system.  As Hiltionsoul and Ormac said, how could you be proud of what you'd done if it was accomplished unethically?  And it WOULD come back a bite you later.  Same with the book, paying the bills is how adults get to live.  Abandon your work and just go for your dream is usually only for people with lots of money.

Hope your Dad has a smooth recovery.  Invasive surgery isn't pleasant to recover from, I'd imagine.

Use of names is a good tactic for both building a more comfortable workplace (we do not consider everyone to be drones!) and for expressing that to customers. 

Since you're working on this sort of thing, is it weird to compliment a guy on his clothing or something?  Is is automatically assumed to be flirting?  Said something to a clubmate the other night and it seemed to be taken as somewhat weird.  We're normally completely cool and buddies.  Nothing even remotely romantic even if he wasn't married.

Well, the book is by Danny Kavadlo, of the Kavadlo Bros. I trust what he says, but even so, he was in a position where he was successful in his prior job and, implicitly, had put himself in a position where he could absorb a few months loss. I'm not there. I'm not even a little there.

It doesn't seem to be pleasant, but he'll bounce back. I'm sure of it. He's in great shape for his age and he's really robust. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Agreed. It's also about the only way we've got, given that we're supposed to time our interactions and keep them close to two minutes or less.

Is it weird to compliment a guy on his clothing... huh. I dunno. I complimented a guy on his bow tie, and he didn't take it as being weird. I guess it's on the other person as to whether it's a weirdness or not, and ultimately that makes it a reflection of them, and not of you.

I saw you post that Imgur the other day.  I enjoyed reading that.  Probably should re-read it to get my own head more solid on body shapes, huh?

Way to go, you studly badass, you! ;)

Is it weird to compliment a guy on his clothing... huh. I dunno. I complimented a guy on his bow tie, and he didn't take it as being weird. I guess it's on the other person as to whether it's a weirdness or not, and ultimately that makes it a reflection of them, and not of you.

I have a friend who just compliments whoever he wants, whenever he wants.  Girl looks great in a pair of slacks?  He'll say so.  Bro with a massive set of pecs that look amazing?  Yup, he'll say it.  Giant panda-riding toddler?  Probably would compliment the bear on not eating the toddler.

I think the trick is to be sincere with your slightly oddball compliments.  Even weirdness can be negated that way.  I think.  I neither give nor take compliments well.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

I saw you post that Imgur the other day.  I enjoyed reading that.  Probably should re-read it to get my own head more solid on body shapes, huh?

Way to go, you studly badass, you! ;)

I have a friend who just compliments whoever he wants, whenever he wants.  Girl looks great in a pair of slacks?  He'll say so.  Bro with a massive set of pecs that look amazing?  Yup, he'll say it.  Giant panda-riding toddler?  Probably would compliment the bear on not eating the toddler.

I think the trick is to be sincere with your slightly oddball compliments.  Even weirdness can be negated that way.  I think.  I neither give nor take compliments well.

Thanks!

I think there's probably much truth in that. People can tell when you mean what you say as opposed to faking it. Something about the energy of what you say is different.

Um.  What post on Imgur?  This chick is curious now.

r8ZlDBh.jpg

Preach!

Also - photos?

Not yet, but only because I don't actually have access to a way to take photos with my phone. I'd probably have to pick up a mini-sd or something like that. My phone is dumbz.

Been reading like a fiend today. I'm hoping I'm going to find some kind of way to make this happen, but just... I dunno. But I'll keep on reading.

Need to do some writing tonight. Might post it places, might not. It won't be fictional, so nbd one way or the other. More just ranting and raving and probably some whining in there, or not. Just feeling reflective.

Today was a rest day from training. Threw combos on waking up and did part of one of the yoga training for the week. It was basic pilates stuff... but to tell you the truth, I don't think I got a lot of benefit from it. Too strong from all that cals work.

Tried to undertake some challenge work and do the workout leading up to 50 squat thrusts in 2.5 minutes. Couldn't hit the workout, but could hit the squat thrusts. go figure. Oh well, next step is to throw push ups into the mix.

Also, I'm supposed to be hearing from that guy I follow about new training, so that should be fun. Any time now...

• Like 1

Excellent infographic. 

Tried to undertake some challenge work and do the workout leading up to 50 squat thrusts in 2.5 minutes. Couldn't hit the workout, but could hit the squat thrusts. go figure. Oh well, next step is to throw push ups into the mix.

Yeah, but you do crazy amounts of burpees.  What did the other workout entail?  Or can you say?

All the reading and writing is good.  Finding any good advice?

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines