[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Thanks. So different than AD&D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

There's servers out there where they email the results to both the player and DM to verify results. Right now I'm jusy using the random number generator function in excel.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Initiative roll 15+2=17

Goblins I HATE GOBLINS! Rowan charges (movement) towards the two goblins and unsheathes his great sword (minor) letting loose a guttural war cry. As Rowan reaches the two Goblins he attempts to cleave (Standard) both of them.

Cleave: You can strike two adjacent foes with a single swing. As a standard action, you can make a single attack at your full base attack bonus against a foe within reach. If you hit, you deal damage normally and can make an additional attack (using your full base attack bonus) against a foe that is adjacent to the first and also within reach. You can only make one additional attack per round with this feat. When you use this feat, you take a –2 penalty to your Armor Class until your next turn.

Attack roll 1: 19(1d20)+1(base)+4(str) = 24

Attack roll 2: 3(1d20)+1(base)+4(str) = 8

Damage: Greatsword 5(2d6)+4(STR)=9

Writing here so we can keep the story thread as clean as possible

1) Wow... I wonder if any of the goblins survived this

2) Since the first roll is a 19 and Rowan's wielding a Greatsword (19-20/*2) I think that's potentially a critical hit and needs a second attack roll for confirmation (and perhaps double damage!)

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Criticals on most weapons need to be a natural 20. Some have lower numbers. Check the spot that says crit in weapon info. I will check the post tomorrow, too tired tonight to add to the story if everyone has posted.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

2) Since the first roll is a 19 and Rowan's wielding a Greatsword (19-20/*2) I think that's potentially a critical hit and needs a second attack roll for confirmation (and perhaps double damage!)

Criticals on most weapons need to be a natural 20. Some have lower numbers. Check the spot that says crit in weapon info

That's what I'm saying. The Greatsword's info reads 19-20/*2, which means it can score a critical when a 19 or a 20 is rolled and if confirmed (new attack roll that meets or exeeds target's AC), deals double damage.

Thou art tired indeed, oh almighty DM. Get some rest and return to kicking challenge butt!

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Gosh I didn't even read that -_- I am going to bed now. You crit...

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Found a cool app this morning called "Dice & Dragons". It lets you create rolls combo rolls and save them under a character so all you have to do is hit one button. For example, I opened it, made a character need "Bronan" and identified the rule set as Pathfinder, then made a combo roll for his giant club attacks. It rolls a d20 and adds 5 as well as a d10 and adds 6. All I have to do each time now is open the app, select Bronan, and click the great club attack to get both those dice with bonuses rolled.

• Like 2

500 / 330 / 625

Writing here so we can keep the story thread as clean as possible

1) Wow... I wonder if any of the goblins survived this

That's what I'm saying. The Greatsword's info reads 19-20/*2, which means it can score a critical when a 19 or a 20 is rolled and if confirmed (new attack roll that meets or exeeds target's AC), deals double damage.

Thou art tired indeed, oh almighty DM. Get some rest and return to kicking challenge butt!

I did not catch that (knew crits were natty 20s) and that does explain the back end of my weapon stat (wasnt sure if the 19-20 was crits on either). If i roll a confirmation attack and it hits do i just multiply the one damage roll i did or is each hit a new damage roll. Also say my second attack roll (against second goblin) hits are we doing one damage roll for multiple hits or each hit has its own damage roll?

Found a cool app this morning called "Dice & Dragons". It lets you create rolls combo rolls and save them under a character so all you have to do is hit one button. For example, I opened it, made a character need "Bronan" and identified the rule set as Pathfinder, then made a combo roll for his giant club attacks. It rolls a d20 and adds 5 as well as a d10 and adds 6. All I have to do each time now is open the app, select Bronan, and click the great club attack to get both those dice with bonuses rolled.

Im going to have to take a look at this one. could make things quite a bit easier.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

When you roll in the crit threshold 20s for most weapon, but some can be 19-20, or some 17-20, and with certain feats increasing that; you get a potential to crit for that particular attack which is the multiplier, example Great Axe is only on a 20, but you can get x3 damage on a crit.

Regarding the above.

First attack connected with 19; you need to roll to confirm critical (this time any number beating their AC will confirm a bone-crushing hit). You rolled damage 9 total, and if you succeed in confirmation of crit you would deal 19 damage to that goblin.

Since you connected with the first attack you may use Cleave, meaning you also can make an additional attack on the adjacent goblin; you rolled a 3 on your D20 and with modifiers for 8. Depending on the AC of the second goblin you may miss, or if you connect you roll a separate damage roll. :)

• Like 1

-Purple_Panda

^That's how I read cleave as well. It should be Bronan's next feat in the distant future.

500 / 330 / 625

Alright, thanks guys. I have edited my post to reflect. with the exception of the -2 to AC until my next turn cleave is a pretty nice attack.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"They wouldn't mind a corpse of you. Now, you can luxuriate in a nice jail cell, but if your hand touches metal, I swear, by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you." - Mal

^That's how I read cleave as well. It should be Bronan's next feat in the distant future.

Stick with the Brotein and it'll happen soon

Alright, thanks guys. I have edited my post to reflect. with the exception of the -2 to AC until my next turn cleave is a pretty nice attack.

It makes a lot more sense and it's way more practical than the D&d 3.5 edition, where you had to actually kill an enemy with a blow in order to get the second attack.

Lvl 60 Multitasker

It appears I will have to up the difficulty...

Next part of the story is up.

Please let me know what you thought of the fight. Do you prefer quicker 1 post fights for enemies like this? Or would you like to see them drawn out a bit more?

3 goblins versus a 6 member party. Yep, I think they never had a chance.

As for the fight, I'm good with that post. It was descriptive enough, instead of just "he hits it for X damage and kills it". If you want to expand on descriptions, it's fine by me, but not mandatory. Also, I don't mind that there's no mini-map or grid, since anyway I run battles in my games in a more narrative way like you did

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Sorry for jacking the thread for a bit, but wanted to put in a little something.

Avid D&D 3.5 and Pathfinder player here and wanted to let you know that this is pretty awesome [playing D&D and variants on NF].  I typically am very prejudice against online gaming as far as PbP systems as I think it tends to go too slow for my taste, but I enjoy roleplay as much as combat.  This is the first time I have come into one to just straight analyze PbP systems and I have absolutely enjoyed everything so far as a third party entity.  I absolutely love how players and GM are incorporating roleplay in combat [something that is typically missed out on in-person gaming to get to the action quicker].  Looking forward to stalking both threads to consider beecoming a player in future PbP campaigns, but as I am a player in webcam based system on Fridays and DM-ing a module on Saturdays, I feel pretty swamped on games/character and prep time required.

Specific questions for members:

cn3wton: Is this your first time ever DM-ing? First time DM-ing PbP?  You seem like you are doing really awesome and I would like to pick your brain as I am fairly new to DM-ing, but I am enjoying my time.  If this is more appropriate to PM, that is fine, but I could use an instructor even though my players seem to enjoy the in-house sessions.

All players and DM: What are some of the biggest difficulties you face? I imagine that it can be fairly difficult to check the thread if you are getting swamped in other activities; how much time do you dedicate to playing/how often do you check posts?

I am sure I can ask a multitude of other questions, but as that is all I can think of and willing to ask for now, I appreciate the time you are taking away from the game to answer my silly little questions.

• Like 1

Half-elven Ranger

Current Challenge: Jumpin' back in the fray

for me the largest difficulty is actually roleplaying. which is part of the reason i chose to do this. I've never been good at making shit up off the top of my head.

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

I check once a day. I'm pretty experienced with play by post, so it typically only takes me 20-30 minutes to post, especially if I have a good feel for my character like i do this one. He's a complete characature of everything we powerlifters laugh at in ourselves and bro culture, so he's easy to play. If I'm playing a character more out of my element, such as a heavily religious cleric (I'm agnostic myself), it can take me hours to post.

As a past DM and player in many pbp games, the hardest problem is keeping everyone around and posting at the right rate. On forums people disappear, and it's a pain to replace them in a such a slow paced (in game time wise) game. The other problem is posting rate. Everyone needs to post 1-2 times a week to keep the game going quick enough to keep interest. At the same time, it's hard to keep everyone involved if you have 2-3 players posting once a week and the other 2-3 posting once a day. This doesn't happen in battle since the pace is dictated by the DM, but in general around the city role playing, it can exclude the slower posters and they'll lose interest.

• Like 1

500 / 330 / 625

I have DM'd in person before (in Pathfinder its called GM'ing) but only on pathfinder. Right now we are running through a modified quest from the beginner box. I am changing it up to add some more variety and interest. This is my first time running a PBP though.

I have created my own quests and adventures of course. I have found that what works the best is learning what everybody expects from the experience and gearing it that way. While this PBP is largely role play based, my friends when we sat down around the table preferred combat intense campaigns. They didnt really like to think to much. Of course they enjoyed doing things like scaling mountains and trying to leap across large gaps. But little to no RP.

This PBP so far has been fairly easy, and that is how it was intended. Its sort of a try it out and see how it goes thing. There is a thread in the book section of the forum called Any Role Players here? Or something like that. Thats where we all met and hashed out what we wanted to try. This quest is sort of an expirement. Theres talk of starting other systems as well. 

Cn3wton: i like this format, posting a story like description of how each round goes. It's the format I've always enjoyed the most in pbp because it makes battles move quicker instead of everyone rolling initiative and you have to post after each player declares their intent.

The only major downside in my experience is that as players we have to leave our actions open ended enough to account for what may happen in the round before it gets to our turn, and as DM you must take liberties with our actions if something that happens before our turns in a round would change our actions. Sometimes what the Adam has the character do instead doesn't line up with the decision the player would have made.

500 / 330 / 625

As far as preparation for my posts I think about this kind of stuff all the time. I want to eventually write stuff on my own, so I have tons of ideas rolling around in my head.

When I am painting or drawing sometimes I will come up with something and tell myself to remember it. Often before bed I lie down to go to sleep and spend 10-20 minutes rehashing stories I have come up with during the day, or refreshing old ones so that they are still fresh in my mind.

I am modifying the beginner story for this adventure we are running now, because it was a little dry. It is of course meant to be more of a tutorial/intro to RP of course so it has to be. But I knew that if I approached it that way it would get stale in a PBP. So I added the opening where everyone could meet, and even changed the first encounter a bit so it was more engaging.