[Pathfinder] Journeys OOC

Cn3wton: i like this format, posting a story like description of how each round goes. It's the format I've always enjoyed the most in pbp because it makes battles move quicker instead of everyone rolling initiative and you have to post after each player declares their intent.

The only major downside in my experience is that as players we have to leave our actions open ended enough to account for what may happen in the round before it gets to our turn, and as DM you must take liberties with our actions if something that happens before our turns in a round would change our actions. Sometimes what the Adam has the character do instead doesn't line up with the decision the player would have made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been pondering the same thing as well. To try and give you guys more reign. What if I posted in OOC the results. For instance instead of posting how the battle ended I would come here and say.

Ok Rowan just hit both the goblins and killed them with cleave.

The archer goblin aimed for Nas and missed

Nas killed the goblin with his first shot

etc

That way you guys can come up with it?  My only issue with this is it kind of ruins the mystery of it... 

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

I like your narrative posts to show the results, keeps with the whole "DM telling the story" deal. What if you just PM us if you run into a snag where one of our actions would probably change and we try to get back to you ASAP, like within 24 hours, with what our character would do?

• Like 3

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

I like your narrative posts to show the results, keeps with the whole "DM telling the story" deal. What if you just PM us if you run into a snag where one of our actions would probably change and we try to get back to you ASAP, like within 24 hours, with what our character would do?

Deal

• Like 2

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Rants, Thoughts, and Workouts-->Battle Log | The Improvening (Current Challenge)

Some threads have a low post rate and short posts. Some are longer and more complex. I can check the former anytime, but for the latter, I know I need my time and peace of mind. So, I just make sure I check the game thread when I'm not swamped, so I can understand what's going on and post something good. My thread is all into a storyline anyway so I practice daily, plus since I've had plenty of years as a DM, I have worked on my improvisation and creativity muscles (players ALWAYS will do what you don't expect them to)

As for the other stuff, I'm with Gainsdalf on the problem of post rates and people disappearing, as well as that PbP allows for more RP and depth. I think it was good that we decided to just play a simple adventure, instead of embarking on a grand campaign. It keeps an easy tone to the game and much work off the DM's shoulders, not to mention the pain of creating a saga that never ends up being played to the end. Check the "Any Roleplayers here?" thread, there's a link to a spreadsheet somewhere. Add your name and preferred systems, once this round is over a new one will begin. Or, if there's a surplus of players, why not have two games running at the same time?

Last, but not least, I prefer the narrative to being told about dice rolls and the raw technicalities. This is an experiment and I like the way it is progressing. My congratulations to the entire crew for their marvelous work

• Like 2

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Sorry, long weekend. Will post tomorrow.

• Like 1

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Lol its all good, it was just weird that nobody posted all weekend.

Apologies, got caught up with work stuff, then with my weekend outdoor activities, then got obsessed with setting up my Warhammer PvP. Posted my part, sprinkled with the obligatory "oooh shiny" gnome ADD. Also, in-character posts will be made in Comic Sans, because he's that kind of gnome.

• Like 1

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Baking (2)🧁, Charisma (4), Cooking (7)Fitness (2)💪,  Gourmet Cooking (3), Handiness (0), Media Production (6)🎬🎬🎬🎬, Mixology (3)🍸, Research & Debate (1)📖 Video Gaming (3)🎮🎮, Wellness (2)

Also, in-character posts will be made in Comic Sans, because he's that kind of gnome.

Of course he is... lol

So anybody against me progressing the story without Randommotivationalbomber posting? 

go for it, I was waiting to see the next steps......figured it was pretty much understood I was taking up the rear for now and following as the group progresses.   Sorry if I was not clear on that.

I figured thats what you where doing, but I just wanted to make sure that everyone, including you, was ok with that. I will post the next step of the story tomorrow.

• Like 1

New story post is up. I found something online to create a map, I made a quick one and hope it will do for this adventure at least.

Well done, that map is really useful in giving us an idea of the cave's layout!

Lvl 60 Multitasker

Yeah, I agree. The map is a good touchstone for us, thanks.

@cn3wton

Flo would be interested in any carvings, magical or otherwise in the cave/dungeon. How do you want me to roll that? Or would you rather roll it like a concealed door type of roll, where just walking by it would initiate a roll. If you do it then it might be more fun as I wouldn't know unless I'm told, instead of rolling with great suspicion. Let me know, thanks.

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

I would say roll a d20 for whatever skill you have that would be most helpful. That way I'm not telling each of you what you notice in the room.

Gainsdolf your post did not dissapoint.

• Like 1

Site for the map maker I used

http://pyromancers.com/

• Like 1

I will be posting the next part of the story later tonight, if you want to do anything before then make sure you get it written up ASAP

• Like 1

Next post is up. I am thinking about starting to post on a regular schedule now. I am thinking wednesday and friday. Any thoughts?

• Like 2