Manelsen reporting. Nulla è reale. Tutto è lecito.

manelsen

(x-post from Rebel Introductions)

Hello, buddies.

I'm Manelsen.

I've been a fat nerd for too long.

Since my childhood I've been being first a chubby boy, then a fat dude (max BMI 32). A depressed, fat adult.

My best form was when I was 16 and a BJJ fighter; then I had a taste of how it could be if I took proper care of myself. I could eat a cow and the scale won't move.

Then life happened again, and I've abandoned BJJ for good.

Ten years later, already fat again, depression hit me in the stomach.

Making contact with Tim Ferriss' 4 Hour Body, I've read about the Slow Carb diet; then, doing my research, I've found out he was then doing a modified version of the Paleo Diet. I dove into the Paleosphere for the first time in 2011, then relapsed, tried again in 2013, relapsed and came back. So many times I began again and again that I had to decide if I was about to get good in quitting or in restarting. I chose resilience over failure and went full Keto last June. It's September and I'm already 8,5kg thinner. Total weight lost from September 2013: 18,5kg.

For the first time in my life my diet goals are met and I need solid fitness goals.

That's why I'm here.

According to the Assassin's Creed, nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

Nothing is true. Doctors, Dietitians, Scientists, Personal Trainers, those smart dudes have a new opinion every other week. I should stick to what works for me. While we are all human beings, every single body fitness work is an N=1 experiment, because nature and nurture sometimes team up to screw us over.

Everything is permitted. Guidelines aren't laws. I'm not going to be arrested if I eat lots of saturated fat and train with bodyweight instead of barbells or ignore the doctor's advice and focus on HIIT instead of aerobics.

Since this epiphany, I've learned to cook, to shoot, to investigate (now a trained Private Investigator), to balance accounts, to pick locks and I've fully realized Heinlein's quote: specialization is for insects.

I'm not sure if I'm a ranger or an assassin and I couldn't care less right now. Right now, my focus is on undertaking the 6 Week Challenge.

Main Quest: Become the Iron Man. Boy, it's gonna take a lot of time, but I'm going to become the Iron Man (both as in "triathlete" and as in "genius-millionaire-playboy-philanthropist").

Smaller, better digestible quests:

1. Drop body fat to 15%;
2. Stay in You Are Your Own Gym's workout for the whole duration of the 6 weeks;
3. Learn to ride a bike (yup).

I'm counting on you to keep me accountable.

Thank you.

• Like 2

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

Weight - 19,4kg gone, 1,6kg to go / 42lbs gone, 3,5lbs to go

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

YAYOG Basic Program - 13/44 Workouts

29%
29%

"Specialization is for insects" (Heinlein)

"Yes, there were times - I'm sure you knew - when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up, and spit it out. I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it my way" (Sinatra)

My current challenge

Well at least you're one step closer to being Iron Man, welcome!

You might notice that i've added an Adventurers' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Tavern and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Thanks for the reply, Blaidd.

I'll give them a hello.

:)

Incidentally, today was W1D2 of the first YOYAG Workout. BF currently @ 19%.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

"Yes, there were times - I'm sure you knew - when I bit off more than I could chew. But through it all, when there was doubt, I ate it up, and spit it out. I faced it all, and I stood tall, and did it my way" (Sinatra)

My current challenge

Updating challenge profile

Main Quest: Become the Iron Man (triathlete + financially independent)

Side quests:

1. Drop body fat to 15%;
Currently @ 19%
A: 15% (CON +3)
B: 17% (CON +1)
F: 19%+

2. Stay in You Are Your Own Gym's workout for the whole duration of the 6 weeks;
A: Full workout schedule (STR +2, DEX +1)
B: 80% of the workouts (STR +1)

F: <80%

3. Learn to ride a bike (yup).
A: Did (WIS +2, DEX +2)
F: Didn't.
  • Like 2

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Hey manelsen, I'm KingLeeroy an Adventurer Ambassador!

Really like your back story and the AC references, you are right you have to trust what is working for you and keep on going, congratulations on the weight loss so far!

If you’re interested in finding more tips, stories, and motivation from Adventurers that have similar goals to yours head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find people always willing to chat. If you’d like to talk to me you can either check out my current challenge or pm me on the board.  If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial. I’ll be following your topic here as well so you’ll probably see me again anyway.

See you around and good luck with your challenge!
  • Like 1

Be More Ninja

Current Challenge

Instagram

NF will TOTALLY keep you accountable! :)

Man, riding a bike is so fun, I used to trail ride but haven't done it in years... I miss it! Enjoy that challenge!

Good luck!!

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Hey manelsen, I'm KingLeeroy an Adventurer Ambassador!

Really like your back story and the AC references, you are right you have to trust what is working for you and keep on going, congratulations on the weight loss so far!

If you’re interested in finding more tips, stories, and motivation from Adventurers that have similar goals to yours head on over to the Adventurer’s Tavern where you’ll find people always willing to chat. If you’d like to talk to me you can either check out my current challenge or pm me on the board.  If you have any questions on how to use the forums, check out this tutorial. I’ll be following your topic here as well so you’ll probably see me again anyway.

See you around and good luck with your challenge!

Thank you, KingLeeroy.

I'm subscribed for the Tavern.

Currently, I use AC as a source of inspiration, mnemonics (as in Method of Loci), big numbers memorizing (as in Dominic System) and kind of fitness goals. Moreover, I just like playing it.

Cheers. Thanks for coming by.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

NF will TOTALLY keep you accountable! :)

Man, riding a bike is so fun, I used to trail ride but haven't done it in years... I miss it! Enjoy that challenge!

Good luck!!

Hello. Thanks for showing up.

I live 10 miles away from my job. I get a bus and that's it, I don't even have a driver license.

I'll learn to ride a bike and I'll be good at it - but, still, I don't believe I'll have that many opportunities to use it outside workouts and competitions.

• Like 2

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Being a PI sounds amazing (cooler than being Iron Man IMO)... I've got a similar goal with aiming to be triathlete-level fit, good luck with it buddy.

It is

:)

Things can get interesting, you know.

Being a triathlete is a big goal for me. Just because I can't run even 5km, I can't ride a bike and I can't swim (I'll leave it for my 2nd challenge). Triathlon gives me clear, measurable, attainable goals to go from point A to point Wow.

Thanks for coming by.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Glad I looked you up. Found you since you replied to my obviously failed test in the Adventurers tavern.

Great goals!

Hello.

Thank you! :)

Countdown to tomorrow.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

YAYOG Workout #5, done. 39 to go.

I ate too much cheese yesterday, due to a misleading of the nutritional info on the package. Went up one pound. Gonna fix it.

No bike yet.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Cheese is so tricky and tasty... show it who's boss!!

LOL, I will.

I'll tell the cheese that the Power of Math compels it! Now that I've figured out what went wrong and bought a food scale, I just don't eat at home without weighing every single thing anymore. Eating with surgical precision is not sustainable, but I'm in a weight loss journey that's too close to its happy ending that I can't risk "taking it easy".

• Like 1

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Math and science! Food scales are great and a nice way to double check those tricky labels. There will be no more cheesefail!👊

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

Math and science! Food scales are great and a nice way to double check those tricky labels. There will be no more cheesefail!

Calories shall not pass!

(unless I give them permission)

• Like 2

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Hey Emanuel! Welcome to the Nerd Fitness Forums! I'm Lullaby, one of the Ambassadors for the Assassins' Guild. I noticed that you are doing the YAYOG this challenge. Since it's mostly bodyweight training, that fits in perfectly with the Assassins!

There's currently a PVP for the YAYOG program that could help you stay accountable. The link is here. There's some awesome people that are involved with it. 

Also, I saw that you've been doing Keto for a while now. There's a Ranger named Tea who is also having some luck with Keto. Here's her thread so you can stop by and say hi if you would like.

I'm not sure if I'm a ranger or an assassin and I couldn't care less right now. Right now, my focus is on undertaking the 6 Week Challenge.

There's plenty of time before you have to decide what Guild you want to be a part of for the next challenge. But for now, here's a link for more information about the Assassins' Guild. We also have a Q&A chat thread for Level 1's that you may stop by and ask any questions.There's also a chat thread called the Assassins' Den where we hang out and chat. If you have any questions, I as well as the other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread. 

I hope you do well on your first challenge!

-Lullaby

• Like 1

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

Welcome manelsen!!

I am considering re-learning to ride. The gears are very different and my balance is a tiny bit off, but better than before so here's hoping!

When you get a chance, would you add your profile name to your challenge title? We like to have names in the titles so people can find you easier. If you go to your first post and hit edit, then click on use full editor, you can change the title. I would appreciate it.

Have a great challenge. I'll stop in and see how the bike thing is going!

Cheers

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hey Emanuel! Welcome to the Nerd Fitness Forums! I'm Lullaby, one of the Ambassadors for the Assassins' Guild. I noticed that you are doing the YAYOG this challenge. Since it's mostly bodyweight training, that fits in perfectly with the Assassins!

There's currently a PVP for the YAYOG program that could help you stay accountable. The link is here. There's some awesome people that are involved with it. 

Also, I saw that you've been doing Keto for a while now. There's a Ranger named Tea who is also having some luck with Keto. Here's her thread so you can stop by and say hi if you would like.

There's plenty of time before you have to decide what Guild you want to be a part of for the next challenge. But for now, here's a link for more information about the Assassins' Guild. We also have a Q&A chat thread for Level 1's that you may stop by and ask any questions.There's also a chat thread called the Assassins' Den where we hang out and chat. If you have any questions, I as well as the other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread. 

I hope you do well on your first challenge!

-Lullaby

Hello, Lullaby. Thanks for coming by.

I'm loving YAYOG. Glad to know it fits in well with the Assassins. BTW, how does a PVP work?

Simply put, Keto saved my life. I was never in danger of dying due to my weight, but I wasn't truly alive either. It's depressing to have a body that aches 24/7 and won't give you his max. Suddenly, I can look at bodybuilders and say "I could, if I wished, but, this time, I want to do bodyweight training". Before Keto, both ways would be closed for good; I couldn't picture myself doing a back lunge without ruining my knees. Today I can do like 50 reps easily. I'm not strong. I'm just lighter.

Rest assured that I will click each link you have post concerning the Assassins. You're a cool bunch.

Thanks again.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Welcome manelsen!!

I am considering re-learning to ride. The gears are very different and my balance is a tiny bit off, but better than before so here's hoping!

When you get a chance, would you add your profile name to your challenge title? We like to have names in the titles so people can find you easier. If you go to your first post and hit edit, then click on use full editor, you can change the title. I would appreciate it.

Have a great challenge. I'll stop in and see how the bike thing is going!

Cheers

Oops. Just edited it. Thanks for the heads up.

It must be interesting to be a Scout. I'm just afraid of chronic cardio.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Update:

1. YAYOG W2D5 a.k.a. "Leg Day" done.

2. BF% formulas can get confusing quickly; by the YMCA formula I'd already have reached my goal (mirror says no). So I'm sticking to an average of 5 formulas:

Gallagher 18.75% Jackson-Pollock 17.77% US Navy 15.73% Heritage BMI 19.88% Modified YMCA 18.05% Average 18.04%

That should keep me accountable. Otherwise I could call Heritage now (@19.88) and say I won in the end of the challenge, calling US Navy formula. That'd be cheating, and one can't cheat the mirror. At least shouldn't

3. No bike yet.

• Like 1

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Leg work is good. You could run, but chronic cardio is a serious illness. One I seem to have! I kept telling myself last year, I love running! I don't get it. I have no idea why or where it came from, but I do.

5 formulas!? wow -- good call on the honesty approach. It feels a whole lot better gaining tiny successes, then to get a big gain by cheating ourselves. Way to be accountable to yourself!

Do you have a bike to use? I need to ask a friend to borrow hers.

• Like 1

The Way

Better Now than Back Then

Better Now than Later On

Hello, @Terinatum. Thanks for answering.

Leg work still punishes my knees. The next day I feel the needles. I should do less volume and/or gentler exercises, but I'm already in the bottom (swimmers, bodyweight squat, back lunges). I'm just weak.

My wife has a bike. A girly bike, which adds to the "Hello World" effect when I'm ready to take the track.

Estimating BF% through formulas is hard; there are the underestimating and the overestimating ones, and the fancy methods (DEXA?) are pretty expensive. When you're accountable to cloudy parameters, it's especially easy to talk yourself into cheating. That's why now you know my protocol. Now a lie should be mathematically inconsistent, unless I'm willing to lie all my way into the final number. Then, the mirror should unmask me.

The tradeoff is: some of those formulas are BMI dependent, and working out can skew BMI. I'm losing weight slower, even @ 30% daily deficit.

Level 0 Tinker Gnome

97%
97%

%BF - 6% gone, 4% to go

60%
60%

29%
29%

My current challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines