Hurley can't think of a catchy title for this challenge

RedPandaOne

Challenge Number 4!!! And no Firefly reference in the title because I ran out of decent quotes I thought could apply, bummer.

Main Goal: Lose 10-15 pounds and/or 2-3 inches from arms/waist/hips/thigh/calves.

I would love to do have this accomplished by New Year’s Eve. That gives me 3 ½ months - 1 pound per week for the 15 pounds goal. What’s going to make this challenge interesting, though, is that I have challenged myself not to weigh or measure myself until the end of the year. The numbers make me depressed. I’ve gone into one too many tailspins because of the scale or tape measure not showing what I want. So, to make sure I continue this year on a good note (because I sure as hell need it), I’m not going to step on the scale or pull out the measuring tape. I'm just going to focus on working out and cleaning up my diet (yet again).

Main 3 goals:

1. Do cardio 3x a week
  2. Strength train 1x week
  3. Swim 1x a week (with a 1 week exception)

Mini goals:

1. Track food 5 days a week
  2. Practice Swedish 30 minutes a week

Not to be confused with a mini challenge. These are goals I want to accomplish throughout the entire challenge, but aren’t as important as my main three. I will not be grading my mini goals. Just a yay or nay each week if completed.

Scoring: Each Main Goal will be graded on a scale of A-F. Fully completed will get an A while never even attempted will get an F. Partially completed or half assed attempted will get somewhere in the B-D range.

I did get overwhelmed last challenge with keeping up with my thread and with others. So I apologize in advance if I go ghost for a week or two. I also may be on vacation the last week of the challenge, but still determining my vacation days for the rest of the year, so of that I'm not yet sure.

Let's get this started!!!  <---(more energy than I'm feeling)

• Like 4

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

hey hey. I'm glad you're back doing another challenge, it has motivated me to do one too. I absolutely understand the dilemma of wanting to see progress but then feeling so despondent when the scale isn't moving like it should, so good luck with not measuring and just trying to stick to getting the 'diet' back on track! I am gonna follow your example in this, and will be cheering on from the sidelines!

• Like 1

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Hey! Glad that you are going to do another one as well! Yea, those numbers were just going straight to my head. Thanks for the cheering, I'm going to need it :)

"You won't find your answers by looking to the stars. It's a journey you'll have to take by looking inside yourself. You must write your destiny..." Christopher Reeve as Dr. Virgil Swann

Current challenge

Old Challenges: 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th9th, 10th11th, 12th, 13th, 14th

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Week 1 Day 1

Did 25 minutes on the treadmill this morning. Thought I was doing 30, but apparently the 5 minute cool down in already programmed in. Oops. I figured out how to do the intervals program on my treadmill. I was really hoping it would do hills instead of speed, but it was speed. So I ended up running this morning. As of right now, I could do the program for longer, but not faster. It had my running at 4mph, and that's my top speed.

I also got some mini strength training in. My parents are getting rid of a couch and while it was already outside near the curb for pick up, my mom and I insisted it needed to be closer to the curb and near the trash can for the trash pick up people to know it needed to be picked up. My dad was insisting no, but my mom and I won out. So, my dad and I moved the couch to the curb. Not fun since one corner kept on digging into the dirt.

And if all goes well, I'm taking the cats down to Petsmart tonight to get their nails trimmed. The boy was tearing up my arm and leg this morning trying to get my attention and play. So that's 20 pounds of cat I need to carry to and from the car/store. This is not going to be a fun trip, it's their first time going to the store to get them done. But my mom and I can no longer handle fighting the girl to trim hers.

I'm on track on getting a 'yay' for tracking my food today. Already put in breakfast and what I packed for lunch. It's just dinner that I need to wait for now.

On a downside, it appears that my fitbit has stopped syncing. It didn't sync to my computer this morning, and when I tried syncing it with the bluetooth on my phone I kept on getting an error message. So I'll need to figure out how to fix that tonight. I've already their help page, so hopefully one of those tips will work.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

hey dude! glad to see you again.

bummer about the fitbit, I hope you can get it working quickly!

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

Hey! Yea, I decided I'm going to finish the year out with the challenges.

I hope I can get it working, too! It's not even a year old yet. I had to buy this one in March when my old one accidentally made a trip through the washer and dryer. And as of 8am I had already walked/run a mile. It looks like it hasn't synced since the 8th :(

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Got my fitbit synced!! Just needed to restart it. I should be up and running properly now, yay!

Now time for bed, I can't keep my eyes open. Went to watch the football game tonight (got roped into fantasy football and have players in tonights game, otherwise wouldn't bother), turned on the game, looked down and when I looked back up it was the second quarter. Fell asleep, oops. Then had to drive back from the house I was at from checking in on the cat.

Tomorrow is a day off. Goodnight!!!

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Week 1 Day 2

^going by days I workout, not actual days

I had all good intentions of working out this morning. I'm currently house/cat sitting until the end of the month and the owners have a treadmill. So I packed my gym bag and brought it over with me last night. Before I went to bed I figured out how to turn the damn thing on (took a couple attempts) and figured out what setting/program I wanted. This one has intervals with hills!!!! Crawled into bed and quickly realized why I hate spending the night. The bed is as hard as a rock, and the pillows aren't any better. Two hours later I woke up and my body was sore. So I grabbed a pillow and a blanket and slept on the couch for the rest of the night. Alarm went off at 6am, and I just turned it off and reset it for 7am. I was too tired and sore. How sore? I was dreaming about the chiropractor, and my health insurance. Apparently in my dream my insurance didn't cover something that chiro did so I had to call and complain. The first person actually hung up on me. The second person asked why I was so upset, and when I told him he asked if I was going to switch health insurance. I said yes if I could because they sucked. <-- my dreams are telling me something. I would switch from Tufts back to Blue Cross if I could afford it. I hate Tufts.

Anyway!!!! My plan is to workout tonight when I'm back at the house. I realized this morning as I was getting dressed that I forgot a hair tie anyway, so that would have sucked working out with my hair down.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

haha I hate it when you have crazy dreams about all the crap you have to deal with in real life! Like, dreams are supposed to be fun and relaxing, sub-conscious! Let it go!

Hope you get the workout in later..

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

haha I hate it when you have crazy dreams about all the crap you have to deal with in real life! Like, dreams are supposed to be fun and relaxing, sub-conscious! Let it go!

I know, right!? They really should be fun and relaxing. I did have a minor fun and relaxing one last night before the stress one. I ended up in a flash mob like dance in the middle of the street. Just stumbled into it. My friend I and joined because it was a common dance like the electric slide - but I hadn't learned it yet. So I learned as we danced, but didn't do to well. After it was done and we were leaving a group a cute boy pushed me back in the crowd and said he was going to teach me the dance. He had such a baby face, no evidence he'd ever have a 5oclock shadow. The dance was weird, it involved large glowsticks (like bow staff large) that you had to pick up and put down in a giant circle.

Weird, weird dream. No idea where any of that came from. But I'd rather have more of those than ones of my car brakes failing.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Confession time: I didn't workout yesterday, or this morning. Shame on me. But I did come up with a plan to get me through the end of the month. I'm going to sleep at my own house the night before I'm scheduled to work out. So currently my plan is MWF, so I'm going to sleep in my own bed on SunTuTh. That way I'm getting a goods night sleep.

I did bring the aerobed to the house I'm sitting last night. That seemed to help. My only complaint last night was that my legs kept on getting wicked cold. But that was just my pj pants riding up and exposing them. I just need to wrap myself better in the blankets before I go to sleep. Blowing up that damn bed is a whole 'nother story. It took me like 20 minutes it felt like when it should have only taken 5 tops. After cursing the bed and myself (it was around 10:15 when I started, and a little past 10:30 when I finished, I was exhausted), I found that the air release valve was open. D'oh! No wonder it wasn't inflating. As soon as I closed it and fit the inflate button again it filled right up and I was ready for bed. But it's blown up now, and I don't need to touch it until the 29th.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Just got official approval for vacation, so this will be a 5 Week challenge for me. I'm going to be at Disney and Universal the last week of the challenge. I'm going to do my best to stick to good eating. I gained three pounds last year when I was there. Too much butterbeer and pumpkin scones. And while we are still figuring out hotels, the two we have narrowed down both have fitness centers. It's just a matter of them being free (the hotel I stayed in last year you had to pay to use it. Seriously).

• Like 2

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

I'm really excited that you're going on vacation! I would like another vacation, like, right now. moar vacations for everyone.

re: the monthly plan - that's awesome. I work best with a long-term plan myself. are you a paper calender person? like, have you written it all out against your regular schedule?

• Like 1

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

yippppeeeeee! Omg Disney and Universal that's just awesome! plus you'll get loads of walking in! and all the rides. and vacation!

(although I can't complain as I'm also going to be on vacation for like the whole month of November *little bit guilty face*)

Did you stay home last night? Workout today with synced (sp?) fitbit?

Keep on flyin Hurley!!

• Like 1

Previous Challenges 1 2

Week 1, Day 2, attempt 2

re: the monthly plan - that's awesome. I work best with a long-term plan myself. are you a paper calender person? like, have you written it all out against your regular schedule?

I have not, but I should. I'm horrible, I don't write down any of my appointments or anything. Well, that's a lie. I have some in my Outlook calendar at work. But I do have a wall calendar next to my computer here at home. Maybe I should write on it what days to workout, and then cross them off as I do it. It may be more motivation to see them crossed off, and more...guilt if I see that they aren't.

Did you stay home last night? Workout today with synced (sp?) fitbit?

I did!! I so loved sleeping in my own bed. Though I did get a second wind around 9pm last night. Not fun. I got home about quarter to 10 and was wide awake. I went straight to bed, but it took awhile to get comfortable and fall asleep. And I did workout this morning :) Felt good. Just checked, and the fitbit in synced :) :) Though my one complaint about fitbit is that if you need to stop for a second going up a flight of stairs it doesn't count the flight. So right now it's saying I've only done two, but really I've walked up 3. I just needed to stop and step around a cat going up one flight. Oh well.

I'm super excited too about my vacation!!! I was bummed because I was suppose to go to China in November, but paperwork got messed up and the tour had to be moved to March. So I have a done of vacation now I need to take by the end of the year or I lose it. After my mom expressed her disappointment she suggested Disney and Universal. I am going to get so much walking done! I think last year I averaged 5 miles a day. I can't wait to try all the new rides that have opened in the past year. Just super excited. Booking hotels and flights this weekend, eee!

(although I can't complain as I'm also going to be on vacation for like the whole month of November *little bit guilty face*)

Okay, slightly jealous. But that's awesome that you're getting such a nice break, after everything you've gone through with your job.

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

You're back!! Yay!!!!

Yea, it still bums me out, but March is a better time for me to taking off work. And it's allowing me to go to Disney, so it totally makes up for it. I just got off the phone with my mom, and she let me know that she booked our flights and our hotel near Disney. So next week I'm going to book the hotel near Universal and get our tickets for there.

Pumpkin Scone!!

Pumpkin-Scones-Recipe.jpg

Found at Starbucks. So 'effing good!!! I literally had this and an iced chai one day for lunch. It's a seasonal thing, so they should be in stores now or coming very soon. I don't normally go into Starbucks so luckily I'm not tempted everyday. But I have stopped myself from going to get one.

Butterbeer!!!

butterbeer.jpg?ve=1&tl=1

Comes in frozen (two mugs on the right) and non frozen (cup on the left). It's based off the butterbeer in the Harry Potter movies. It's a caramel drink. I only know of two places to get it - at Universal in the Harry Potter section and in a store in downtown Plymouth, MA. And, I'm sure there is a way I can figure out how to send you some since the one downtown comes in six packs of bottles :)

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

At some point today I realized I still want my reward to be to get my cartilage re-pierced. In my past challenges it's been when I've hit the 170s again. But because I'm not weighing myself for the rest of the year I can't base it off that anymore. So, instead, I'm going to get it re-pierced when my too tight pants are no longer too tight. When I can button them and wear them all day comfortably, THAT is when I'm going to reward myself.

• Like 2

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

That's a super well aligned goal!

Sent from my iPhone while riding a unicorn through the cosmos.

• Like 1

What’s going to make this challenge interesting, though, is that I have challenged myself not to weigh or measure myself until the end of the year. The numbers make me depressed. I’ve gone into one too many tailspins because of the scale or tape measure not showing what I want.

The scale is a lying troll that likes to kill all motivation. The only reason I'm even using it the next couple times is because I'm experimenting with macros. Otherwise I'd never use the damn thing.

As of right now, I could do the program for longer, but not faster. It had my running at 4mph, and that's my top speed.

When I used to go to the gym pre-home gym, my top speed was 2.5-3. You got me beat :P

and in a store in downtown Plymouth, MA.

That scone looks too damn good. And you're in Mass? You heading to the Fenway Spartan in november?

Goals looks solid. Good luck and have fun this challenge! :)

• Like 1

I'm late to the party but I just subbed. Great idea on not weighing in, I bet that'll do wonders for your motivation. I used to weigh in every day but I have recently changed it to once a week. Your idea is much better though, I'll see how I get on with weekly and might steal your way for my next challenge. 

Yay for vacations, exciting times! Glad you got your fitbit working too - my syncing programme on my laptop has been screwed for ages. It still syncs but it takes a lot of convincing sometimes. 

• Like 1

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

That scone looks too damn good. And you're in Mass? You heading to the Fenway Spartan in november?

Spartan races scare me, so I'm sitting it out. Maybe next year. (and yes, the scone is too damn good!)

I'm late to the party but I just subbed. Great idea on not weighing in, I bet that'll do wonders for your motivation. I used to weigh in every day but I have recently changed it to once a week. Your idea is much better though, I'll see how I get on with weekly and might steal your way for my next challenge. 

You're just fashionably late, that's all :) I'm really hoping it will do wonders for the motivation. I'm also working in the theory that when I weigh myself and I've lost weight, I slack off (not much, but enough) on eating right and that's why I gain a ton back the next. It still doesn't seem right, and I think it may still be thyroid related (appointment in 3 weeks), but not weighing in every month may show something.

• Like 1

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

So far Week 1 isn't turning out so great for any of my goals. Oops. The next 4 weeks will be better.

I went apple picking with my mom today. We each picked a 1/2 bushel of honey crisp apples. Those things are effin' heavy!! I just looked it up and a 1/2 bushel is 24 pounds. Holy crap!! And the honey crisps were all the way in the back of the orchard. I honestly think we each carried 24 pounds of apples a half mile to get back to the car. Does that count as strength training? Please say yes, lol!

• Like 3

Current challenge

Fitbit
Forum Battle Log

Spartan races scare me, so I'm sitting it out. Maybe next year. (and yes, the scone is too damn good!)

You're just fashionably late, that's all :) I'm really hoping it will do wonders for the motivation. I'm also working in the theory that when I weigh myself and I've lost weight, I slack off (not much, but enough) on eating right and that's why I gain a ton back the next. It still doesn't seem right, and I think it may still be thyroid related (appointment in 3 weeks), but not weighing in every month may show something.

^ So much this! I do this and I really irritate myself with it. 

So far Week 1 isn't turning out so great for any of my goals. Oops. The next 4 weeks will be better.

I went apple picking with my mom today. We each picked a 1/2 bushel of honey crisp apples. Those things are effin' heavy!! I just looked it up and a 1/2 bushel is 24 pounds. Holy crap!! And the honey crisps were all the way in the back of the orchard. I honestly think we each carried 24 pounds of apples a half mile to get back to the car. Does that count as strength training? Please say yes, lol!

Yes,it is absolutely strength training ;) Isn't that the basic principle behind "farmer's walks"?

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines