• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

KiwiChick

KiwiChick’s Hatchling Challenge Part 3: The Little Mermaid Challenge

KiwiChick’s Hatchling Challenge Part 3: The Little Mermaid Challenge

Life Goal: Give birth to a healthy baby (aka the hatchling) in January 2015

2n80qdy.jpg

Challenge Goal: Become the little mermaid and be able to swim 2km nonstop

Sub goals: OK only one is exercise related but walking and gym are in bonus goals.  Main focus is swimming and some life improvements.

1: Swim like a mermaid

Swim 3 times a week – aiming to be able to swim 2km nonstop in week 5. 

A=3 times a week, B=2, C=1, F=0

2: Find my voice

fygaa1.jpg

I reeeeeeally need to improve my Spanish in preparation for both my Mexican adventures/general life here, and hatchlings arrival (since he/she is going to be Mexican!)

I will do either 30 mins duolingo, pimslur or converse in Spanish A=5 times a week, B=4, C=3, etc.

3: Banish the evil Ursula (aka my inner sugar demons)

6oiwwj.jpg

I will not purchase any sugary treats, as if I don't buy them I wont eat them.  A=zero treats purchased, B=1 C=2 etc.  

4: Clean up my artefacts cave

29zoh6q.jpg

Uggh my human junk cave (aka the boat) is in a right state.  So. Shameful.  I will spend quality time (eg no Downton Abbey on in background) organising.  Living in a small space is full of challenges and it is impossible to live in if unorganised.  A=5 hours/week, B=4, C=3 etc.  Inspired by Eirlys awesome organizing last challenge.

Bonus Adventures

• Find my legs – Walk. Everyday. Even if just a little.

121yla0.jpg

• Gym/yoga 2-3 times a week
  • Continue my 3L water intake
  • In week 6 Mamabird (my mum) is coming to visit from NZ so I will have to work extra hard to finish my challenge in fine form.
  • I’m taking two MOOC courses! One is chemistry and the other physiology (the science of happiness). 
  • On Oct 23rd it will be my second year nerdiversary! Celebrations will be in order, there may even be mermaid dress ups.  Gosh NF I <3 u.
  • Like 2

Eee, congrats on baby! 

As for limiting sugar intake... what's your main weakness? Pastries, sodas, juices, etc? Without knowing your habits better, I'd start with limiting yourself to things like that being a treat, or even just one a day, or something. I don't know what you're currently doing as far as this stuff goes, but what I do -- as an example -- is only have dessert-like items once a day at worst, only on special occasions at best. 

I love this theme! Good luck to you and the hatchling!

Eee, congrats on baby! 

As for limiting sugar intake... what's your main weakness? Pastries, sodas, juices, etc? Without knowing your habits better, I'd start with limiting yourself to things like that being a treat, or even just one a day, or something. I don't know what you're currently doing as far as this stuff goes, but what I do -- as an example -- is only have dessert-like items once a day at worst, only on special occasions at best. 

At the moment it really is chocolate bars like snickers and milky way, not an every day thing but if I have one it usually leads to a sugar binge (eg running back to the shop and getting 3 more chocolate bars, making a batch of fudge and nomming it all etc).  Maybe I should make my goal simply not to buy sugary stuff/treats… or variation on this.

I'm doing Spanish on Duolingo, too. Almost to level 10. I think they have a setup to add friends, if you're interested.

Great idea! Im only level 1 or 2 on Duolingo as i never really got into it properly.  User name is JaneyReid add me would be great :)

Yay!  Hi Kiwi!  I love Ariel and I love your challenge!  (That picture with the little fishy is cute too :) )

I hope you find some liberation with the decluttering part!  Let me know if you need any encouragement here, I'm overdosed on decluttering blogs at the moment, so have plenty of different strategies for the more difficult things :)

You're going to clean.... without... Downton Abbey??

???????

And clean out your thing-a-ma-bobs?!?!

You have gestational superherobetes. I'm sorry no one told you yet.

Week 1: Written Thursday afternoon

Warning sad stuff follows including hurricanes, sinking boats and friends death.

I was all amped for an epic challenge start when this happened

16h6arm.jpg

Ok it looked more like this

zvvq1k.jpg

Hurricane Odile hit us as a category 3 storm on Sunday night and has caused much damage to our part of México.  This was the strongest hurricane on record to make landfall on the Baja Peninsula.  We were well prepared and in a safe marina with our boat and were ok but very shaken up (Mr Kiwi insisted I stayed in a hotel that night which was the best suggestion ever, I even snuck our cat Kitty in with me to keep him safe).  Our boat (our only home in the world) was undamaged but our area lost phone, water and electricity etc.  Living on a boat means we are self sufficient with solar power (to provide basic power needs, no air con), water tanks and we have good food supplies.  Some of our friends who remained in at anchor did not fair so well with at least 20 boats grounded and several sunk.  Sadly we had one sailor die going down with his ship and two friends are still missing.  On Tuesday we helped out in our dingy with the search, rescue and recovery operations.  Fair to say it was an exhausting few days, and a real learning experience regarding the sailing lifestyle, basic life necessities and perspective of what is important.  Our town is a mess but the basic amenities are being restored quite quickly (note my return to the internet when ever this is).  We are lucky we are not in the hardest hit town a few hours south which on top of the devastation is now being torn apart by rioting and looting.

Here are pics from my town La Paz

http://www.bajainsider.com/weather/hurricanes/odilephotoslapaz.html#.VB2VzkvbjN4

So in regards to challenge:

1)    The pool water has been no bueno for swimming (outdoor), I will resume when safe. 

2)    I have not had duolingo access, but on wed did Pimsleur (lesson 15), also I have been forced to talk in Spanish in general more this week. 

3)    No problem avoiding sugar since everything is closed, I have eaten lots of rice and basic food this week!  Mr Kiwi did get me a precious snickers bar which I have divided into 6 pieces as rations, if I manage to ration it rather than gobble it will be a triumph. 

4)    In regards to organisation – well the boat is in a right state after hurricane and getting everything including sails safe inside (nothing can be left outside on the boat or it is torn to shreds or blown away).  We couldn’t even move inside on Monday as our junk was everywhere.  I’m not sure how many hours of organising I have done this week and will continue to do but getting our lives back in order is a pretty high priority.  There has been no distractions such as computer, internet, facebook etc so has been quality organisation.  But also it has been hot with zero aircon so hard to do anything in the heat+humidity.  At least the temperatures have dropped below 100F post storm.

Bonuses

Walking – has been everyday mostly to go check out damage around the place.

No gym or yoga – I look forward to a good stretch out.

Agua – I have been very vigilant with water intake and am lucky to have a supply of clean water while services are restored.

Mooc courses are likely to no longer be undertaken as not a priority and lack of Internet.

Written Thursday night:

Daily Spanish: Pimsleur Spanish lesson 16

Managed to go to the gym for a short workout late avo, but lack of aircon meant it was much sweatier than usual:

10 mins warm up cycle

leg and arm swings, bodyweight squats

3x sets:

15 each side step over’s

15 goblet squats with 20kg dumbbell

15 chest press with 10kg each side

15 deadlifts with 2x 20kg dumbell’s

Stretch

Written Friday night:

Today I attempted to swim in the pool which looked clean, I guess it had recently been treated with a shock dose of chlorine and I managed 14 laps in the chorine soup before calling it a day and doing some stretches.  Managed to reach my daily duolingo target as was back online.

They found the body of one of my friends who was missing today.  This was not unexpected but still a massive punch in the guts.  Yesterday we were also running around a broken town finding a vet for our sick cat who is not well and still in poor health today.  Going to be a while before things feel normal again and we regain some emotional strength.  I’m going to continue this challenge as I need a distraction and also have to think of looking after myself and hatchling.    Keeping Calm and Carrying on.  Pool should be nicer to swim in tomorrow and Im sure I can still tally up a good challenge week.  

• Like 1

So sorry to hear about your friend and the struggles that people are going through in your community and nearby towns.

Glad to hear you're okay and hope the next few weeks aren't too stressful for you x

I'm so sorry about your friend and your town. *hugs* I'm glad you're okay though, and I'm impressed that you've kept up with the challenge and so well in spite of everything! No one would have blamed you one bit if you hadn't. I hope you find a vet for your cat soon, and that your cat gets better soon! 

Thanks so much for all the love guys!  :love_heart:

Putting last weeks roughness behind and looking forward to normality and a kick ass challenge.

Will round up last week soon but ended up doing pretty darn well considering.

Yesterday did a gym ses and short swim, spanish also on track.

• Like 1

Week 1 round up

Swam twice = B

Didn't swim far because of the chlorine soup-ness of the pool, pool was closed most of week.

5 times a week = A.

No internet for duolingo earlier in the week but back into that now, also did 2 days Pimsluer.

I did not purchase any treats = A

I did however eat a chocolate bar which Mr Kiwi got me as a present and I rationed over 4 days which is a win in its self. 

>5 hours = A this week but this was out of necessity post hurricane.  Mr Kiwi and I spent most of sunday working together, was better to have some company while doing crappy jobs.  Still so much work to do but at least we can walk into and down main walkway now.

Bonus Adventures

•                Find my legs – Walk. Everyday. Even if just a little. W1: 6/7 days (spent sat in bed)

•                Gym/yoga 2-3 times a week.  W1: I went 2 times this week.

•                Continue my 3L water intake. W1: 6/7 days (sat in bed and didnt drink enough)

So all up challenge wise off to a good start, should be better this week now pool open and hopefully no more natural disasters on the horizon.

• Like 1

Well done on a great start to your challenge, despite difficult circumstances.

Don't quite know how you rationed a choccie bar over 4 days, you must have a willpower of steel!! :)

Wow, KC, I'm so very sorry... That doesn't even feel sufficient. I can't imagine what you've just been through. Good job trying to maintain your good habits and finding positive things on which to focus. I hope you recover from all the shock and loss quickly. And in the meantime, I hope you get to have a good swim soon!!

Ooops havent posted in a while

Last week

Week 2 round up

Swam twice = B

6 times a week = A+.

Good week for spanish

1 treat = B

I was out shopping and found a chocolate shop with real fancy chocolate (real mexican chocolate from Oaxaca is divine, like proper ancient chocolate) so I bought Mr Kiwi and myself a few little chocs to share.  Another win as I didn't eat Mr Kiwis share nor gobble all at once.

Im going to give myself an A as although I didn't get much organising done, I kicked ass on boat jobs and cleaning which all are needed to make organisation possible.

Bonus Adventures

•                Find my legs – Walk. Everyday. Even if just a little. W1: 6/7 days 

•                Gym/yoga 2-3 times a week.  W1: I went 2 times this week.

•                Continue my 3L water intake. W1: Cant remember I think it was bueno

This week so far

This week has been a bit ugh, haven't had enough sleep so been very tired and sluggish.  Also havent been eating as well as I have been (increased carbs out of lack of food and $) which always makes me feel gross.  There is a post hurricane lack of nice water and meat that isnt rotten (three times meat I have bought was bad, and my eggs were also bad, dont get between a pregnant girl and food.  There were tears. But also some epic vegetarian meals, of which my vegan mother would be proud.  When the health food store opens again I am getting more protein powder as this should always be on hand for post natural disaster food needs.

I have been good with my gym going and have added in using an exercycle as my warm up and really focusing on my squats, hammies and hip mobility and stabilization and Im really noticing my legs feeling strong and looking good (thats one part of my body that has managed to escape weight gain right now so hoo ray for legs).  But however goals:

I havent been proper lap swimming once this week, I did some whale lounging in the pool (mainly just to show off my new togs and how great my bump looks in them)

only done 3 times this week.  Duolingo has been annoying me so much, my internet is patchy so it keeps deleting work I have done and not giving me my xp and general stuff like that which is just annoying having to re do stuff (I know its good for me calm down).

No treats this week.  I am actually starting to feel empowered by saying no and leaving the store without treats, i am stronger than sugar cravings, and feel like Im starting to break this habit.

Good work this week, the pile of doom is still in the boat but better.  There is now even room for the cat to sleep on the floor again.

Aims for weekend

1x gym and yoga session

2x swim

2x spanish 

I am planning on going out dancing tonight with friends (who will all be enjoying too many margaritas but meh) so I can see sugary/caffeinated drinks in my future to keep me awake and stay up late.  I am really looking forward to dressing up and feeling girly :)  maybe I can get a nice virgin cocktail at some point for fun as sparkling water with lime gets pretty blah after a while.