Pacha Tisai -- Wannabe Weekend Warrior (er...weekend ranger?)

PachaTisai

Introduction:  Growing up, I was always skinny, but not fit.  I had horrible eating habits, but never seemed to gain weight.  Now, at 37, I'm almost 240 lbs and 5'10"  I want to do fun stuff on the weekends like rock climbing and biking and paintball, but right now, I'm so out of shape, I have trouble walking up a couple flights of stairs without being winded.

Goal:  Fit into a size 34 by the end of the year 

Side quest 1:  I have trouble with junk food, so do not indulge in junk food during the challenge at all.

A = 0 days  B = 3 days  C = 6 days

A = 3CON  B= 2CON  C = 1CON

Side Quest 2:  At the end of the challenge, I'm going to see my girlfriend in Vegas, and I want to look good naked.  So, weight train 4 days/week (body weight workout at first, and then move into the gym as I progress)

A = 24 days  B = 20 days C = 17 days

A = 4STR  B = 3STR  C = 1STR

Side Quest 3: Eat a fruit or veggie 

Side Quest 3:  Learn to love veggies.  Its that simple.  I grew up in a meat and potatoes house, where the potatoes were mashed and coated in butter and gravy (or, meat juice, if you prefer).  So, I will cook with a new veggie each week.  Week one will be the hardest, I think.  That's going to be "Learn to love Kale" week....

A = 6 new veggies  B = 5 new veggies  C = 4 new Veggies

A = 3CON 3CHA 2WIS  B= 2CON 2CHA 1WIS C= 1CON 1CHA 

Motivation:  This one might be the easiest.  My 10 year old is heading down a very dangerous path because he's watched dad make poor food choice after poor food choice.  I'm hoping (praying, really) that as I'm cooking healthier, and we are eating healthier, that he will learn to make good choices, and not end up having the problems later in life that so many of us have right now. 

• Like 10

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

your son is such a good motivation and I am sure that once you start doing weekend warrior things and you involve your kids, he'll definitely start loving an active lifestyle.

You might notice that i've added an Adventurers' tag to your thread.  This isn't to pigeonhole you into particular guild, but rather to bring one of their ambassadors here to offer you encouragement, support or advice.  Your goals this challenge fit well with the overall spirit of their guild and you are more than welcome to pop into their Tavern and introduce yourself to them.  You are also more than welcome to pop me a message anytime. 

Good Luck

AB xx

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Good start to the challenge.  Did the Beginner's Bodyweight Workout before work, and plan to stop at the store for some kale on the way home.  Today's mission while at work is to find a recipe for it...

Also, this weekend while camping, we went apple picking, so I have a full stock of fresh picked apples in the house.  That should help for a bit with the junkfood part of my questing.

I would like to say that this is going to be easy, but I don't play life on easy mode...I'm in the middle of a huge project and will be working 12-14 hours a day for the forseeable future.  Its always something, but I can do this...

• Like 1

So, as part of my week one quest, I've eaten kale for three meals.  It was part of a salad for lunch yesterday, I chopped it up and added it to an omelette for dinner last night, and added a bit to my morning smoothie.  So far, so good.  I just wish it was available at my local grocery store, because to get it, I'm currently driving 20 minutes to Whole Foods, and spending more than I would like.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to grow...

Anyway, day two has begun.  Good smoothie for breakfast.  Strawberry/Banana with some kale, almond milk, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.  Tonight when I get home, my son and I are going for a walk around the subdivision.  

What up dude!

Great goals. I can relate, being a mid 30's guy myself. Check out a recent documentary on the food industry called "Fed Up." It will give you even more motivation to eat better, and to help make a change in your kid's life. From one dad to another, good luck!

MAIN QUEST: LOSE 50 LBS (STARTING WEIGHT 280 LBS)

2%
2%

CURRENT WEIGHT: 279 LB

START DATE: 9/15/14

LEVEL 1 MANDALORIAN RANGER

[ STR 2.0 | DEX 0.5 | STA 2.0 | CON 0.5 | WIS 3.0 | CHA 2.0 ]

1 | CURRENT CHALLENGE 

"Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

― Victor Frankl

Hey Pacha! Welcome to the Nerd Fitness forums!! I'm Lullaby, one of the Ambassadors for the Assassins' Guild. I noticed that you have an interest in rock climbing as well as doing a body weight workout this challenge. Good news! That fits in with the Assassins!

I like the veggie goal. It's always good to add veggies to your life. There's so many things you can do with them to make them tasty. 

I just wish it was available at my local grocery store, because to get it, I'm currently driving 20 minutes to Whole Foods, and spending more than I would like.

The best way to add in more vegetables is to make it easy. If you want some tips, let me know. ^_^

Oh, here's a link to more information about the Assassins' Guild. We also have a Q&A chat thread for Level 1's where you can stop by and ask any questions you might have. We also have an Assassin Phonebook that lists the skills of our Assassin so be sure to check it out.

There's also a chat thread called the Assassins' Den where we hang out and chat. If you have any questions, I as well as the other Assassins are happy to help you out. You can reach me by using the private messenger system (click the envelope at the top right of the screen) or you can post on my thread.

I'll be following along. :)

-Lullaby

Major Respawn in Progress

Current

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 4.1 5 6

"Each of you is perfect the way you are ... and you can use a little improvement." - Shunryu Suzuki 

I have trouble with junk food, so do not indulge in junk food during the challenge at all.

I grew up in a meat and potatoes house, where the potatoes were mashed and coated in butter and gravy (or, meat juice, if you prefer).  So, I will cook with a new veggie each week.  Week one will be the hardest, I think.  That's going to be "Learn to love Kale" week....

What do you define as junk food? The reason I ask about specifics is that 1 person would consider a white potato to be fine, another person think white potato is a bad thing, but sweet potatoes fine, while another person wouldn't eat any potatoes. What criteria do you use for 'junk'?  Does take out count?

I'm partially Italian and Irish so if there wasn't taters and gravy/meat juice piled high, it was a huge plate of spaghetti. I totally get it.  There's a surprising amount of veggies that are 'ok' for me now. I just polished off a steambag of broccoli/cauliflower mix.

Kale though? That's going to be a tough one. Every time I tried it, I've hated it. Doesn't matter if it's baked, fried, salted, covered in bacon fat to cut bitterness- I hate it completely.  Good luck with kale. :P

I'm running an accountability group for Adventurers.  Perhaps you'd be interested?

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/54293-level-1-zombie-apocalypse/

Also, swing by the Tavern and make yourself welcome and ask any questions you may have.

Tavern - http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/53532-tavern-ask-questionschat/

If you'd prefer, you can always send me a private message asking about stuff. (Some people are shy and prefer that.)

How to private message: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/forum/285-helpfaqwhere-to-begin/

Good luck and have fun this challenge :)

So, as part of my week one quest, I've eaten kale for three meals.  It was part of a salad for lunch yesterday, I chopped it up and added it to an omelette for dinner last night, and added a bit to my morning smoothie.  So far, so good.  I just wish it was available at my local grocery store, because to get it, I'm currently driving 20 minutes to Whole Foods, and spending more than I would like.

Makes me wonder how hard it would be to grow...

Anyway, day two has begun.  Good smoothie for breakfast.  Strawberry/Banana with some kale, almond milk, and a scoop of vanilla protein powder.  Tonight when I get home, my son and I are going for a walk around the subdivision.  

You're taking the "learn to love kale"-week to new heights *g*

From a distance, I'm asking myself why they are calling it a grocery store if they don't sell groceries. Anyway, good start, keep it up!

Warg

Level 1 Lycan Assassin

STR 4 | STA 2 | DEX 0 | CON 1 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

Current Challenge

"If you don't know what you want, you end up with a lot you don't" - Chuck Palahniuk

100 pushups

25%
25%

200 squats

30.5%
30.5%

OOOHHHH...Assassin AND Adventurer.  You like me!  YOU REALLY LIKE ME!!  LOL

So far, kale has been much easier than I thought it would be.  I'm really just using it where I would normally use spinach.  I've managed to get it into at least two meals per day for the third straight day (omellette for breakfast and planning a grilled chicken salad for dinner).  Not sure my 10 year old realizes how good he has it.  Most kids get chucked out the door with some lucky charms shoved down their throat.  He got an omellette...

Got my bodyweight workout in this morning before work. Lunch is going to be fun, since we are going out for a co-worker's birthday.  Fortunately, he's paleo, so dry-rubbed barbecue, here we come.  GIVE ME ALL THE RIBS!!

Was hoping to get in some cardio outside tonight, but as I'm typing this, I hear thunder and rain...might be doing my best hamster impersonation on the treadmill tonight.  

As for my local grocery store, like so many, they have lots of bread and pasta and candy...kinda lacking on the fresh veggies, unless you count iceberg lettuce.  They have lots of that...

• Like 2

Wow, ambitious goals! That's really amazing :)

I hope you keep your momentum and your motivation!

And well done with the kale! For someone who's not used to eating veggies I find that you're doing amazing :)

My favourite way of eating veggies is stir-fry in olive oil, with soy sauce and loads of garlic. It's always good ^_^ 

Seriously, I'm really impressed by your motivation, we'll be many to cheer you on! 

Dancing Sylph - Level 9 Monk/Druid

Former Captain of the Nerdians of the Fitalaxy

Current Challenge

"E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle" - We came forth, and once more saw the stars, Dante

Well, the s*** happens part of my challenge has happened.  I'm in a long distance relationship, and we were hoping she might be moving here in March.  Now it looks like it might be another year or two.  This has put a damper on my mood tonight, and I really don't feel like eating healthy.  That said, I still did.  But I REALLY want ice cream...

Well, the s*** happens part of my challenge has happened.  I'm in a long distance relationship, and we were hoping she might be moving here in March.  Now it looks like it might be another year or two.  This has put a damper on my mood tonight, and I really don't feel like eating healthy.  That said, I still did.  But I REALLY want ice cream...

You have even more time now to work on yourself before she gets there - imagine her surprise (and delight!) at how strong you'll be. I've done the long-distance thing too, it's no fun for sure so you have my sympathies. I know that right now a big part of it is probably just the disappointment. In a while, things will stabilize. Hold strong, you've only just begun. :)

My body tells me no, but I want more! I. Want. More!

Current Challenge
Pavel Sneaks Back In

Level 2

Half Orc

Assassin

Kudos on staying strong after that bit of bad news. Being an emotional eater myself... I know how tough it can be to stay on the right course! I really like your goals and your motivation is wonderful - nothing better than showing by example. I don't have kids yet but I'm trying to encourage my family members tag along for the ride with me and take part in small positive changes :). Good job with the kale by the way! Not the easiest veggie if you're not a veggie eater to begin with... I personally love it but it's definitely an acquired taste! My personal faves are adding it to chicken/vegetable soup & pasta! An idea for you I'm the future ;) looking forward to your updates, I'll be following! Best of luck!

Severynn - Lvl 1 Vrykul Rebel

Current Challenge   |   Instagram   |   MyFitnessPal   |   Pinterest

"What is the point of being alive if you don't at least

try to do something remarkable?" -John Green

Yeah, its definitely the disappointment of it all.  She's my soulmate, so this isn't going to change things between us, just disappointed that its going to be longer before she moves home.  

On the plus side, though, I've spent so much time being excited about NF, that she joined yesterday, so we should be seeing her in the challenge in the next day or so.

Well, as day 4 commences, I've done a brisk 30 minute walk around the subdivision (autumn is here, its chilly out there) and have had my smoothie for the day.  Meeting some friends for breakfast, and I have no idea what they are going to have that's reasonably healthy, so it may just be scrambled eggs this morning...

I'll catch up with everyone from the office.

• Like 5

My apologies something,has come up and I will be unable to continue the take the red pill thread. They will be doing mini's this time in level one that will be very similar to what I was going to do this time so make sure to check them out. Please understand how sorry I am. There are plenty of groups out there for support and you guys can keep checking on each other's threads.

It has been a pleasure meeting all of you and good luck with your challenge!

Level 36 Ranger Sorcerer 

Current challenge 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines