Packelly- Getting Lean

Yllek

New to the guild.  I’m still not sure where I fit in.

Main Goal: To lower bf to 18% before the end of the year

How I’m going to achieve it:

Strength Training: 4x week, with pull-up work 3x a week (STR3, DEX2) Wk1: A

Cardio: 10 minutes every day (STA3) WK:C

Nutrition: No alcohol or ice cream (CON3) Exception on 9/28-10/2/14 WK:B

Side Quest: Stretch for 15 minutes once a week (CON1) WK1:A

Life Quest:

Finances: Track expenses every day (WIS2) Wk1:A

Appearance: Not look like a bum when out of the house  

Stop Procrastinating  (CHA1) Wk:B

post-29652-0-46171600-1410467136_thumb.j

More details for whoever is bored.

Strength Training: I enjoy lifting heavy, and gotten back to making this into a routine. I want to increase weight every week in at least 2 exercises. Besides my normal 4-5x a week workouts, I’m going to keep working on pull-ups and add squats. 

Pull-ups: I’ve been working on pull-ups since June, and I achieved my first pull-up EVER during my first challenge.  Now I’m stuck.  Haven’t been able to progress at all.  I found a pull-up progression program to go from 0 to 5 in 7 weeks .  I’ll be doing that 3 times a week, plus barbell and body rows.  The program involves assisted pull ups, negative pull ups and power holds.

Squats: I was working on this before I hurt my foot in May and want to get back to it.  Goal is some day to squat my body weight and maybe more. I will just squat away every 2 days with weights and without them. Will listen to suggestions on this.   (Won’t be graded)

Cardio: I have learned that without cardio I wear a permanent layer of fluff.  I don’t care for cardio so much.  I used to be into running but after a few injuries I have lost all type of interest on it.  So I’m not going to limit myself to run a specific distance or at a specific pace.  I have noticed that I’m an all or nothing type of gal.  If I plan to do 30 minutes of running and 1 day my foot hurts or life gets in the way and I can’t do a full 30 minutes, I then choose to not do anything at all.  So for this challenge I’m just going to go out there and get my heart rate up.  I will do HIIT,  C25K, cycling, power walking, swimming or jump rope.  I don’t care, as long as I get at least 10 minutes of cardiovascular activity every day.

Nutrition: 80% of being lean is nutrition.  (If someone out there has figured out a way to eat all the things and still rock hard muscles, I’m all ears.) I eat about 80% paleo for 2 reasons.  I have celiac disease and second my body just works better.  But I enjoy white rice, ice cream and alcohol in big quantities.  I have seen the wonders of my body without the last 2 but I haven’t managed to stay away from them permanently.  Not sure I want to yet. But for this challenge I will stay away from ice cream and alcohol. Except when I go on a cruise on September 28th through October 2nd.

Side Quest: I tend to get injured a lot.  Part because of stupidity, stubbornness, lack of stretching and wonder woman syndrome.  I will add a good stretching session (at least 15minutes) at least once a week.  Bonus points if I get another day in.

Life Quest:

Track expenses and stay within budget. I worked on this last challenge.  Towards the end of the challenge I realized that I was spending more than I was bringing in.  For this challenge I will keep working on lowering my expenses, and I will sell some things to replenish my savings. 

Appearance: I’m a beach bum at heart.  But I live an hour from the beach and I work in an office.  With the heat and my lazy approach to dressing I always look like I’m going to the beach or I’m going to work out.  I want to look more professional at work and make an effort to look decent when I’m running errands or go out.  For this challenge I will put on some makeup when out, stop wearing sun dresses to work and workout clothes will be just for the gym or outdoor activities.  I will find a way to still feel comfortable but still look good.  I’m not sure how to go about it without sun dresses and workout clothes but will try. The point is that I need to put some effort in my appearance.

Stop procrastinating already!!!

I’m a horrible procrastinator.  I have a long list of things that I need to take care of and I’m always making excuses of why I need to put them off.  No money, it can wait, my computer is so slow, I’ll do it after I check the NF forums…………….and then never do anything.  Well things tend to pile up and then they explode on my face and they usually take more money or more time to fix.  I need to stop now. As we speak my phone is being restored to factory setting erasing all of my son’s pictures and all data that I have added to my phone since the last time I did a backup in December 2013. Why, because my phone has been out of space and I needed to empty all of my pictures into my home computer which is slow as snail. Now my phone went stupid and the only way to fix it is by restoring it to factory setting.  Moral of the story, backup your phone often, and if for some reason it can be backed up then fix it right away.  Just like my phone I have a long ass list of things that I haven’t taken care of and I need to get to them ASAP.

I will be happy if I get 6 of them done.  

• Take truck to shop
  • Post everything I have for sale.
  • Solve problem with health insurance
  • Send out resumes
  • Buy new faucet and fix shower
  • Pack for cruise: Find passport
  • Fill out scholarship application
  • Hang pictures in the kid's room
  • Get the kid's Halloween costume finished by mid October
  • Like 3

Starting over

Level 0

A good looking challenge, glad to see you're still in the game!  I'm going to try to abstain from alcohol for this challenge too, though not part of my official goals.  Best of luck with that!

• Like 1

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

A good looking challenge, glad to see you're still in the game! I'm going to try to abstain from alcohol for this challenge too, though not part of my official goals. Best of luck with that!

Thank you and good luck to you too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting over

Level 0

But I enjoy white rice, ice cream and alcohol in big quantities.  I have seen the wonders of my body without the last 2 but I haven’t managed to stay away from them permanently.  Not sure I want to yet.

I can't imagine life without them!  Rice is my go-to CHO when I have eaten my fill of veggies, I see nothing wrong with it.  Ice cream and alcohol, well they are part of what makes life fun.

Sub'd of course.  Kick ass!

• Like 1

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Sounds like you're already in pretty great shape! Second the white rice problem, it's one of the hardest things for me to avoid on paleo. 

Where are you going on your cruise? I've never been and so so curious...if they make you pay extra for alcohol then maybe it'll inadvertently help your goals hehe.

Per tracking expenses, have you tried Mint? If you put in your accounts info it automatically aggregates your transactions and categorizes them. I'm totally obsessed, it make charts and graphs of spending and net worth. But it keeps me honest.

Subbed.

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

HIIT  cardio has been great for me, since it makes my time on the elliptical fly by. I broke me leg a few years back so now I'm very cautious about adding mileage to runs (I'm being smart about it). I do my heavy lifting and then 10-15 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical (0-15 seconds full intensity, 16-59 seconds moderate intensity). It's made such a big difference, both physically and mentally! 

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Subbed! I also can't give up rice. I'm one of those weird people who will happily eat a bowl of plain rice. Interested to see how HIIT works out for you. Never tried it myself but have been tempted to give it a go.

Have you tried Zombies, Run! app? I think there is one with a C25K program. I think it's great, makes a boring run much more interesting! 

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Sounds like you're already in pretty great shape! Second the white rice problem, it's one of the hardest things for me to avoid on paleo. 

Where are you going on your cruise? I've never been and so so curious...if they make you pay extra for alcohol then maybe it'll inadvertently help your goals hehe.

Per tracking expenses, have you tried Mint? If you put in your accounts info it automatically aggregates your transactions and categorizes them. I'm totally obsessed, it make charts and graphs of spending and net worth. But it keeps me honest.

Subbed.

I'm in ok shape.  I like lifting, but I need to work on endurance and conditioning.

I'm going to the Bahamas. It should be fun.  There are a couple of factors that will limit me from drinking.  First will be the money factor.  I'm signing up for a couple of activities there so that will help limit my expenses on alcohol and then I'm going scuba diving one day, so I shouldn't drink much the night before.  I can't wait.

I use Mint too.  Have been for a while, but didn't really paid much attention to the big picture until resently.

HIIT  cardio has been great for me, since it makes my time on the elliptical fly by. I broke me leg a few years back so now I'm very cautious about adding mileage to runs (I'm being smart about it). I do my heavy lifting and then 10-15 minutes of HIIT cardio on the elliptical (0-15 seconds full intensity, 16-59 seconds moderate intensity). It's made such a big difference, both physically and mentally! 

HIIT definitely helps keep cardio entertaining.

Nice solid goals - I'll definitely be tuning in to see how you progress :)

Thank you!

Subbed! I also can't give up rice. I'm one of those weird people who will happily eat a bowl of plain rice. Interested to see how HIIT works out for you. Never tried it myself but have been tempted to give it a go.

Have you tried Zombies, Run! app? I think there is one with a C25K program. I think it's great, makes a boring run much more interesting! 

I also like to eat plain rice.  And I will also ea it in weird conbinations.  I'm not planning on giving it up 100% because I like it too much, but limit it a little because my body doesn't react too well to it sometimes. But it's so delicious.  You should really give it a try.  You can get a great workout in half the time.  

I have heard of the Zobies, run app but haven't look into it.  Will check it out, because anything that can help me get out of my run slump it's worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Starting over

Level 0

I second the Zombies, Run! app. It's helped improve my run as well.

I'm new to the guild, too. Good luck on meeting your goals! ^.^

Thank you! Will start using the zombie app tomorrow. I think it will help.

• Like 1

Starting over

Level 0

Subbed, great goals! I did my first pull up last week - it was an assisted pull up, but you've got to start somewhere right? 

Good luck this challenge!!

• Like 1

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Subbed, great goals! I did my first pull up last week - it was an assisted pull up, but you've got to start somewhere right?

Good luck this challenge!!

Thank you! And congrats on your assisted pull ups.

Starting over

Level 0

Happy First Day of Challenge!!!

I’m excited for this challenge.  There are so many things on the agenda for the coming weeks ahead that I know I need to be extra organized to not let anything slide by.  Work is going to be pretty busy too, so I need to make sure that I stay focus while I’m at work and that I stay active when I’m outside of work.  One problem I’ve been having lately is that I’m too tired at the end of the day to do anything else. Getting my strength training is not a problem, but getting my cardio and doing anything else is.

My plan for this week is

• to wake up early, so that way I get both strength and cardio done first thing in the morning.  (I have 4 strength workouts planned for the rest of the week)
  • I will squat and do pull-up work every other day.  Squats can be done at work, home or the gym, so this will be easy. 
  • Assign house chores to be done on specific days in 15-20 minute increments.  The goal is to get them done before sitting down to dinner.  After dinner I’m DONE!
  • Get the kid to start helping with chores, and I need to be ok with the fact that they won’t be done the way I would do them.
  • Cook a bunch of chicken today and have an idea of what sides I will fix each day of the week to eat with it at lunch. 
  • Go to bed early enough so I’m well rested and all of this works.

Out of my Stop procrastinating list I will look for my passport this week and I will start taking things out of boxes, take pictures and post them on the yard sale site. Motivation: Cruise!!! I obviously need my passport to check in for the cruise and I want to use the extra money for scuba diving in the Bahamas. I only budgeted to go on one diving trip, now that I saw all the different diving sites I want to dive all 3 days we are in port.  So I will get the extra money from selling stuff instead of using my savings.

And that’s pretty much it.  At least the few things I can control. 

I've been reading the threads and everyone seems so motivated, which motivates me even more.

tumblr_mvxajxwdIO1rnq0vfo1_500.gif

• Like 3

Starting over

Level 0

Nice detailed plan! Doing your work out first thing in the morning is great. I go to the gym before work on my strength training days and it's fantastic to get to work knowing that your workout is done for the day and you don't have to worry about it. It took me a few weeks to get used to getting up early though!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Ideally I would like to get my workouts done first thing. It's a great boost of energy in the morning, but 4am and me do not agree with each other.

Day 1 of challenges are generally awesome. We should really have holidays surrounding them:)

Sent via Phone-Bot... "Phone-Bot will enslave the humans. Beep, boop, bop."

• Like 1

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Nice detailed plan! Doing your work out first thing in the morning is great. I go to the gym before work on my strength training days and it's fantastic to get to work knowing that your workout is done for the day and you don't have to worry about it. It took me a few weeks to get used to getting up early though!

I'm not a morning person, but my energy levels are gone by the evening. I know it will be hard at the beginning to wake up early enough to do both.

Ideally I would like to get my workouts done first thing. It's a great boost of energy in the morning, but 4am and me do not agree with each other.

Day 1 of challenges are generally awesome. We should really have holidays surrounding them:)

Sent via Phone-Bot... "Phone-Bot will enslave the humans. Beep, boop, bop."

4am would be hard for me too. I've been working on getting up early for months. My goal is to eventually wake up by 4:30 and be at the gym by 5. Right now I wake up at 5:15, after snoozing for 15 mins, then argue with myself for 30 minutes and then decide to get ready. If going to the gym wins. My bed is too comfortable.

And agreed with the holiday around first day of challenges. I barely got anything done today. [emoji41]

• Like 1

Starting over

Level 0

• Assign house chores to be done on specific days in 15-20 minute increments.  The goal is to get them done before sitting down to dinner.  After dinner I’m DONE!
  • Get the kid to start helping with chores, and I need to be ok with the fact that they won’t be done the way I would do them.

This is REALLY hard for me too, so if you figure anything out I would love to hear about it.  I have done a chores calendar before and I have given out "stars" for completing them without bitching, but alas they just complain and complain and then do a crappy job on top of it.  It takes all my will not just to do it and avoid the bitching and shoddy work. 

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

4am would be hard for me too. I've been working on getting up early for months. My goal is to eventually wake up by 4:30 and be at the gym by 5. Right now I wake up at 5:15, after snoozing for 15 mins, then argue with myself for 30 minutes and then decide to get ready. If going to the gym wins. My bed is too comfortable.

I hear that! ^.^

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines