Packelly- Getting Lean

Yllek

Woke up really tired this morning and after getting ready for the gym, I changed my mind and decided I was just going to do my cardio this morning.  Well at 5:15am I would have to run with a flash light but since I was already up I decided to just spruce up the house a little while I waited for the sun to come out.  I ended up deep cleaning my kitchen.  I was in such a groove, that I didn’t want to stop when 6:30am came up.   But I stopped and went outside.  I didn’t feel like pushing myself too much so I went with the 5k zombie training. I really enjoyed it.  It wasn’t hard to leave me exhausted, but I did sprints in the run parts of it and jogged through the 10 minute free run.  The sun was still not 100% out and it was very humid and foggy outside so the pace of it was perfect.  Exactly what I needed today.  I might take today as a rest day from strength training since I’ve been lifting for 4 days in a row.  I’m still supposed to do my pull-up work today so I will see how I feel later today.  I might do that and squats while my son is at swimming practice and keep it light today.

Speaking of squats I forgot to do the 20 squats I had left yesterday to meet my goal of 60.  So I will do today’s 65 plus yesterday’s 20.  My goal will be to achieve 3,500 squats by the end of the challenge.  They mostly will be body weight squats, but I will count when I do barbell squats on leg days.  Gotta grow that bootay.

• Like 3

Starting over

Level 0

Woke up really tired this morning and after getting ready for the gym, I changed my mind and decided I was just going to do my cardio this morning.  Well at 5:15am I would have to run with a flash light but since I was already up I decided to just spruce up the house a little while I waited for the sun to come out.  I ended up deep cleaning my kitchen.  I was in such a groove, that I didn’t want to stop when 6:30am came up.   But I stopped and went outside.  I didn’t feel like pushing myself too much so I went with the 5k zombie training. I really enjoyed it.  It wasn’t hard to leave me exhausted, but I did sprints in the run parts of it and jogged through the 10 minute free run.  The sun was still not 100% out and it was very humid and foggy outside so the pace of it was perfect.  Exactly what I needed today.  I might take today as a rest day from strength training since I’ve been lifting for 4 days in a row.  I’m still supposed to do my pull-up work today so I will see how I feel later today.  I might do that and squats while my son is at swimming practice and keep it light today.

Just this morning, as I was going for my run, I was thinking about how long it's been since I've ran at night.  I will make it a point to get in a night run this weekend (er, my weekend so Mon or Tue).  I recommend it.  Country runs at night in winter, with the stars stretched out above and a full moon with coyotes howling, it's wonderful!

Gotta grow that bootay.

Progress pics?  Tee hee, I kid. 

• Like 1

"If you're not waking up in the morning and living your life like a ritual of creation or destruction or life or death or love or hate then you really are just dieing one minute at a time."

- Paul "Grimnir" Waggener of the Wolves of Vinland

Mogi Shade, Level 4 Yeti

[STR 6] [DEX 8] [STA 4] [CON 5] [WIS 4] [CHA 4]

Current Challenge: [05]

JJSOMMER.COM | Tumblr | Instagram

Quinte Outdoor Club Meet-Up Group [ON, Canada]

How do you manage to go out for a run in the morning? I think I have a fair bit of waiting until my kids are old enough to be left alone for a short while. 

My kid has always been the best sleeper ever.  He is never conscious before 7am and he is old enough where I can leave him asleep and come back without it being a problem.  I just started doing it in the last 3 weeks, and he told me that as long as he is asleep he doesn't care. I just make sure I'm not longer than hour, I get back before 7am and I have my phone on me. I'm still a little uneasy about it, but I wouldn't get my workouts in if I didn't do it this way.

The only thing that worries me is that he is never conscious before 7am, and if something were to happen he wouldn't wake up. 

And whoa 3500 squats - you are going to have the best boot-ay ever!

I just want to have bootay!!! hehehe

Starting over

Level 0

Happy Friday my fellow rebels!!!!!

WARNING:  I'm going to venting.  You can skip to the challenge update below. 

I’m so happy my work week is over.  It’s been a long week and my body definitely can feel it.  My day yesterday was good until the end of the day.  I had a meeting with my son’s teacher and he has not been doing well with his homework.  He hasn’t been turning it or even bringing it home to get it done.  This has been going on for 4 weeks now and I have talked to him, grounded him, yelled at him (I know, not great), set up a reward system to motivate him, etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.  I have met with his teacher before, and he still hasn’t showed any signs of improvement.  Last night after the meeting we stayed home working on getting everything he was behind on finished so he could turn it in today.  He is into video games, which he is not allowed to play right now, so I was thinking about creating a challenge like this for him to help him stay motivated.  I will have to work on the details this weekend and give it a try.  I also scheduled an appointment with the school counselor, because this momma is out of ideas.  I’m very frustrated, and I don’t like what I’m turning into.  I’m always upset with him because he doesn’t bring home his stuff or I get notes that he didn’t turn in some of his homework and now he is adding lies and excuses to cover things up.  I can’t stand liars at all, so things are not looking well for him.  He is going to spend the weekend with his dad, so at least we will both get a break from each other and I can get some perspective.

On to the challenge update……….I woke up dragging today and I think I’m starting to suffer from allergies. (Does that happen when you’re getting old?) Anyways, I woke up really stuffed up and sneezing like a maniac and ended up hurting my throat.  Getting old sucks.  I considered skipping the gym, but didn’t.  I literally just put some leggings on and my tennis shoes and left the house before I could talk myself out of it.  I kept it easy since I had no energy.  I could have just as easily lie on a mat and go back to sleep. I needed to do some pull-up work since I didn’t have a chance yesterday, but forgot.  In summary today was not a good workout day. Got 80 squats while the kid was working on homework

Nutrition: I’ve been doing well on this, except yesterday I had a bowl of cereal as a distraction from killing the kid. Other than that, I’ve ate all home cooked meals and stayed within calorie range.  Side Note: I really want a drink today.  I’m talking myself out of it, but that’s the one thing I know will get me off the edge.  Does that make me an alcoholic?

Cardio: Still need to get this done today. Maybe this will be my motivation to not go to happy hour with my coworkers.

Side Quest: Stretch:  I did 10 minutes the other day but I want do a full 15 minutes.  I think I will finally take a yoga class this weekend and that will kill 2 birds with 1 stone.  Get my stretch in and maybe relax a bit.

Life Quest: Finances: Still doing strong on this. Besides the grocery store and my $1.70 coffee at work I haven’t spent any money this week.  I’m still under budget on both groceries and restaurant budget so I’m good here.  On the procrastination part: I haven’t done anything from my list.  But since I had to sit at the table while the kid was doing his homework, I went through the 4 months’ worth of mail I had on a chair pilling up.

• Like 1

Starting over

Level 0

Oh my that sounds so hard and unfortunately because I'm not at that stage yet I don't have any advice to give. All I can do is give you virtual hugs and tell you that I know how it feels to have hard times with your kids - and when you just need a break from it all. It is great that he will be with his Dad on the weekend so that you can have a breather - it definitely sounds like you need it. 

Level 1 :: Lycan (STR-2 :: DEX-2 :: STA-2 :: CON-2 :: WIS-1 :: CHA-1)

Challenges:  One

Daily logs: Battle log / MFP

Recognize how great it is that you actually went to the gym, even though you weren't feeling it and had plenty of other things on your mind. That's a great show of willpower! It also sounds like you're doing amazingly well with your nutrition goals. =)

I think it's totally fine to have a drink to take the edge off, especially if you have some room for it in your calories/macros (and no history of alcohol issues). It's Friday and you've made it through the week! 

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Recognize how great it is that you actually went to the gym, even though you weren't feeling it and had plenty of other things on your mind. That's a great show of willpower! It also sounds like you're doing amazingly well with your nutrition goals. =)

I think it's totally fine to have a drink to take the edge off, especially if you have some room for it in your calories/macros (and no history of alcohol issues). It's Friday and you've made it through the week!

No alcohol issues. Just a fluff problem that I know alcohol doesn't help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Starting over

Level 0

Man that's rough. Sorry I don't have much perspective on your situation ("I'm very disappointed in you" was enough to make me cry as a kid so...my hw always got done. Including extracurricular math hw. Hm...perhaps the secret is to be an Asian family bahaha.) Not to belittle your problem at all. And rant away! That's what we're here for. 

One drink when under stress does not make you an alcoholic. It's a conscious decision, and one of the privileges of being an adult.

Way to go on managing your cash-money. I'm definitely too lazy to add up items at the grocery store, but I attempt to stick to a list.

It's the weekend!

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

No alcohol issues. Just a fluff problem that I know alcohol doesn't help.

Starting over

Level 0

Man we have some similar issues!  My son abhors homework and it is a constant fight as well.  I think you are being a little hard on yourself too.  I think your challenge idea is a great one.  My son screams and tells me he hates reading and I got tired of fighting about it so I tied video games to it.  It is a one-for-one.  If he reads for 15 minutes he gets 15 minutes of video games.  Sometimes he opts to do neither, but he can't go long periods of time without video games so he eventually caves and reads.  I love your idea of setting up a nerdy video game themed challenge though.  I think my son would really respond to that.  I would love to hear what you come up with and I will spend some time trying to come up with something too.

I think you are super strong to go to the gym and be able to moderate your eating and drinking and be conscious of it with work and home stress.  It is hard and it makes us tired and to see that you fought through it anyway is how you know you are headed somewhere great!  Awesome job!

• Like 1

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

So sorry to here you had a rough end to the week. I can't give any advice as don't have kids so I'll offer a virtual hug instead. I like forkboy's idea of rewarding homework with game time though.

Well done on getting to the gym when you didn't feel like it. Sometimes sleeping in your gym clothes helps for those morning where you're trying to talk yourself out of going. I've started to sleep in my gym clothes recently so if I wake up and don't feel like it I think, "Well, I'm already dressed, might as well go".

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Man we have some similar issues!  My son abhors homework and it is a constant fight as well.  I think you are being a little hard on yourself too.  I think your challenge idea is a great one.  My son screams and tells me he hates reading and I got tired of fighting about it so I tied video games to it.  It is a one-for-one.  If he reads for 15 minutes he gets 15 minutes of video games.  Sometimes he opts to do neither, but he can't go long periods of time without video games so he eventually caves and reads.  I love your idea of setting up a nerdy video game themed challenge though.  I think my son would really respond to that.  I would love to hear what you come up with and I will spend some time trying to come up with something too.

I think you are super strong to go to the gym and be able to moderate your eating and drinking and be conscious of it with work and home stress.  It is hard and it makes us tired and to see that you fought through it anyway is how you know you are headed somewhere great!  Awesome job!

The video game time is a great idea.  Maybe as one of the rewards for our little challenge.  I have a rough idea of how I’m going to do the video game challenge for him, but I’m going to sit down with him tomorrow after school to have him involved in the process of getting all the details.  Maybe him choosing some of the details will get him motivated into actually doing what he needs to get done.

Working out is my constant, nutrition is not. I struggle with keeping a balance diet.  When I get stressed out I tend to eat a lot, sometimes I manage to eat a lot of healthy things, sometimes I don’t.  I just want to learn to not emotionally eat at all. Working out is the one thing I can control easily in the craziness that is my life.  But sometimes I end up too tired from combination of everything.  I have yet to learn how to find a balance. Sometimes I workout too much and don’t take enough rest days, then this leads to me not being able to function well.  Then I take too many days off where I don’t want to do anything and I end up falling off the wagon completely. Now that I’m aware of this, I’m trying to find that perfect combination of strenuous and light workouts with the right amount of rest days.

And thank you for the kind words.

So sorry to here you had a rough end to the week. I can't give any advice as don't have kids so I'll offer a virtual hug instead. I like forkboy's idea of rewarding homework with game time though.

Well done on getting to the gym when you didn't feel like it. Sometimes sleeping in your gym clothes helps for those morning where you're trying to talk yourself out of going. I've started to sleep in my gym clothes recently so if I wake up and don't feel like it I think, "Well, I'm already dressed, might as well go".

That's a good idea.  I've thought about doing that, but then worried that my clothes will be all wrinkled.  But then again, I look like a hot mess at the gym most of the time anyways so it won't be that different. hehehe. 

Starting over

Level 0

So this morning I was thinking about the recap of my weekend and I started thinking that it was awful.  I didn’t do much, I skipped the gym on Saturday and didn’t do much around the house.  But then as I kept thinking about the things I did do, I realized that it wasn’t that bad.  Yes, I failed at some related challenge things, but I did what my body was asking me to do. REST. On Friday I hung out with a friend of mine.  We drank wine, vented about our kids, and watched a movie.  It was a great way to wind down the week. Then Saturday I had all these plans to do about a million things, but after running a couple of errands I got home to eat lunch Netflix got a hold of me for a couple of hours.  This was followed by pampering time.  I did a hair treatment, a face mask and took a nice long steamy shower complimented with some music.  I never take time to do these things because I’m always in some sort of schedule. So it was nice to take my time, take care of myself, and do some singing in the shower.  Towards the end of the day I felt lazy and kind of was beating myself over “wasting†my day.  But not anymore, I need days like that in my life.  Sunday, was a little different.  I got up early went to the financial class  I’m taking and went to the gym.  I was still not up to doing a lot, but I got something done.  I worked on pull ups with some other back exercises, and worked on arms. I also did a total of 70 squats between sets.  I wanted to go out for a run, but it was raining so I settled for 10 minutes on the elliptical.  I don’t know how some people can spend more than 15 minutes in that thing.  I struggle with cardio machines.  After 5 minutes I feel like stabbing myself. I’m not being dramatic.  I tried to get caught up on the threads here while I was on the machine, just so I could get my 10 minutes of cardio for the day.  I got a good mindless sweat. The rest of the day was a combination of laundry, Netflix, organizing, Netflix and cleaning…..and some extra Netflix. Oh well, at least the front end of my house looks really good.

This morning I was going to the gym for a leg workout, but my coffee maker decided to hold all the coffee in the area where the coffee filter is making a big mess, I then had to clean the thing and attempt to make coffee again, I ended up taking too much time and decided that the gym was no longer an option.   So after I drank my coffee I settled for a good 25 minutes stretching session. Hopefully I won’t be too tired after work and it won’t be raining so I can go for a run in the evening.

I leave on the cruise on Sunday so this will be a busy week leading up to it.  And my last chance to loose some fluff for all the pictures that will be taken.

• Like 2

Starting over

Level 0

I struggle with cardio machines.  After 5 minutes I feel like stabbing myself. I’m not being dramatic. 

That made me laugh.  I hear you, being outside is way more entertaining.  Sounds like a solid week one to me.  Kick week two's ass now too!

• Like 1

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

That's a solid weekend, I'm glad you're seeing it in a more positive light. And I also haaaate the elliptical! Even with my short stubby legs, having movement restricted to the track is annoying. 

Also, noticed you got those squats in. Nice. You go after that fluff.

• Like 1

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Rest is so important! I suck at rest days and I'm currently paying the price for it (another day of illness). But I know how you feel...if I don't "accomplish" a certain amount of "stuff," I feel like I've wasted the day and I get really down on myself. But it's ridiculous, we all need rest, and a day spent with family, friends, or just taking care of yourself is a good day. =)

I feel your pain with the cardio machines. My gym used to have working TVs for all the cardio machines but now I'd say about 95% of them (not exaggerating) are broken. I prefer to watch ESPN or something during cardio, but I also have podcasts. Doing HIIT makes the time on the machine go faster, for me. Even just 15 seconds all-out and then 45 seconds moderate pace is enough to get me through 15 minutes in what feels like no time! 

• Like 1

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

That's a good idea.  I've thought about doing that, but then worried that my clothes will be all wrinkled.  But then again, I look like a hot mess at the gym most of the time anyways so it won't be that different. hehehe. 

Yeah, I don't worry about wrinkled clothes. I look like a hobo at the gym anyway! The thing you have to get used to is trying to get comfortable sleeping in a sports bra! That takes some getting used to!

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a bit of "me" time and rest days are so important. Quite jealous of your weekend actually, I love those sit around and do nothing days.

I hear you about the elliptical machines. I have no idea how people stay on those for an hour a time. 5 minutes on one and I'm thinking, "well, this is dull". 

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Forgot to include yestereday's workout

Assited Pull-ups
4x40#
5x40#
5x40#
2 Negatives
20 seconds hold at 90 degree arm
reps x lbs
Reverse grip bent over rows
10x55#
10x65#
10x70#

Superset
Deadlift
10x70#
8x95#
8x100# PR!!!
DB Pullover
10x30#
10x30#
12x30#

One arm DB Row
8x30#
10x25#
10x25#

Giant Set
Incline DB Curl
10x15#
10x15#
8x15#
Cable hammer curls
8x25#
8x25#
10x20#
Assisted Chin-up
5x50#
5x55#
5x55#

Giant Set
Tri Pushdown
10x30#
10x30#
20x20#
Cable rope overhead tri extensions
10x15#
8x18#
10x15#
Dips
2 withour assistance
5-35#
2-40#

Starting over

Level 0

That made me laugh.  I hear you, being outside is way more entertaining.  Sounds like a solid week one to me.  Kick week two's ass now too!

Thanks. You too!!!

That's a solid weekend, I'm glad you're seeing it in a more positive light. And I also haaaate the elliptical! Even with my short stubby legs, having movement restricted to the track is annoying. 

Also, noticed you got those squats in. Nice. You go after that fluff.

It's been fun to add the squats, plus it's giving me an oportunity to work on my form.

Rest is so important! I suck at rest days and I'm currently paying the price for it (another day of illness). But I know how you feel...if I don't "accomplish" a certain amount of "stuff," I feel like I've wasted the day and I get really down on myself. But it's ridiculous, we all need rest, and a day spent with family, friends, or just taking care of yourself is a good day. =)

I feel your pain with the cardio machines. My gym used to have working TVs for all the cardio machines but now I'd say about 95% of them (not exaggerating) are broken. I prefer to watch ESPN or something during cardio, but I also have podcasts. Doing HIIT makes the time on the machine go faster, for me. Even just 15 seconds all-out and then 45 seconds moderate pace is enough to get me through 15 minutes in what feels like no time! 

Very true.  I really need to work on not feeling bad for resting. 

Yeah, I don't worry about wrinkled clothes. I look like a hobo at the gym anyway! The thing you have to get used to is trying to get comfortable sleeping in a sports bra! That takes some getting used to!

Absolutely nothing wrong with having a bit of "me" time and rest days are so important. Quite jealous of your weekend actually, I love those sit around and do nothing days.

I hear you about the elliptical machines. I have no idea how people stay on those for an hour a time. 5 minutes on one and I'm thinking, "well, this is dull". 

That early in the morning I really don't care how I look like.  When I'm planning on doing something my mind tends to trick me into making me believe that I'm this put together person. then when the morning comes, all my plans to want to put some effort into my appearace goes out the window.  Because when it comes to choosing between sleeping longer and looking good.  Sleeping longer ALWAYS wins.  Sadly that applies to work too.

I cannot even imagine being on one of those things for an hour and dull is right.

• Like 1

Starting over

Level 0

You definitely need those slow days where you just float around and relax - especially being a single mum - how often do we get to do that??

I'm glad you got in a pamper session - it sounds like exactly what you needed after a stressful week.

It was exactly what I needed. Now I need to learn to not feel guilty about it. It took me over a day to realize that there was nothing wrong with it.

Starting over

Level 0

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines