• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kat on the Run

Here Kat Goes Again

First, watch this video and take in/remember its awesomeness

Well here we are again: the dawn of another challenge. My last challenge wasn't entirely successful, but I did learn some things:

• I get some of my best sleep in the mornings, so waking up extra early all the time is not going to work for me. I need to find some balance between getting up and getting sleep
  • Since that forecloses morning workouts, I have fewer days I can workout, because things inevitably arise in the evenings. I need to find realistic goals for my # of workouts
  • There are going to be some weeks that I can't get even those workouts in, either because of work or my health.  My body has to overcome a number of issues so I need to be patient with it
  • I need to work a lot more than I'm working -- like the for-pay kind of stuff
  • I need to take care of all aspects of my body, particularly my back, which I stopped doing after I finished my prescribed time at the chiropractor, and I am now paying for it

Hence, my new goals:

Major fitness goal: run half marathon on the 20th (or run/walk, really), then consistently workout after that

Step 1: workout 4 days a week: running two, strength two. Bonus points for an extra workout, especially if it's yoga or something 

Step 2: do back exercises at least 5/7 days of the week, and go to the chiropractor however often he suggests

Step 3: continue to eat mostly meat and vegetables, complete low-sugar September (where my friends and I are attempting to eat <=40 g of natural sugar and <=20 g), potentially start Whole 30 in mid-Oct.

Major life goal: be more productive and focused

Step 1: get out of bed at 7 every day

Step 2: mobile/timewaster cleanse (details TBD)

Step 3: lumosity/duolingo/meditation - half an hour each day - 5/7 days

• Like 5

That video brings me back to college. Only these guys can make treadmills look like fun. :)

Love that you're implementing "lessons learned" into this challenge and designed it in a way that you can still reach your goals while taking into account Real Life. Best of luck on your half marathon, too!!

• Like 1

I guess I need some points and whatever.

Workout 4 days/week: +2 sta and +2 str depending on the type

Back exercises: +1 con

Eating nice: +1 con

Out of bed: +3 err...something

Time waster cleanse: +3 something...let's go with charisma, since my head won't be stuck in my phone all day

Mental exercises: +3 wisdom

That's 15, right? I'll figure out grades at the end. Something inevitably pops up that makes me change my grading system anyway

I guess I should update, even though we're off to a slow start:

Monday

Workout 4 days a week: 0 completed so far

Back exercises: did not do back exercises

Eat more better: stayed away from added sugar, from what I recall, had a diet soda but not a diet coke so half a win there, had a salad and fruit (but also sadly potato chips) for lunch and the boy cooked pork tenderloin and veggies for dinner, so I'd say a win there.  I keep typing wine instead of win....Freudian?

Get out of bed at 7 every day: couldn't sleep from 4-6 am so I let myself sleep until 8

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: right now I'm focusing on three things: not looking at my phone in the morning for an hour, not looking at it for an hour before bed, and not looking at it during dinner, I did so-so on Monday. I ended up using my phone for an alarm since I slept in a bit so that inspired me to then look at my phone when I got up

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - did lumosity and duolingo, but forgot about meditation

Tuesday

Workout 4 days a week: 0 completed so far

Back exercises: did not do back exercises

Eat more better: had a cobb salad for lunch but had just wine for dinner (plus a little cheese and chips, I was at a charity fundraiser) so that's not ideal. especially since it was white

Get out of bed at 7 every day: got up at 6 for bible study

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: looked at my phone right before bed, so that wasn't good

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - did lumosity and duolingo, but forgot about meditation (again)

Wednesday so far:

Get out of bed at 7 every day: another restless night, I ended up reading from 4-6 because I woke up and couldnt go back to sleep, then slept until 8

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: same as monday, since I slept in I used the phone as an alarm, then looked at it when I turned it off, but not to an extreme

Back exercises: went to the chiropractor

Working out: my mom comes into town tomorrow so I'll probably workout with her T, F, S, Su (the race)

It's been a busy week thus far for work and work-related activities so...c'est la vie

Half marathon: completed! We ran the first half (besides a break at mile three, I over hydrated in the morning apparently), then did intervals of walking and running the second half.  Nothing scientific, just: ok, I feel like running some more.  What was unfortunate is that the crick in my neck turned into a whole back thing and at mile 9 or 10 it was what was making me want to start walking.  We finished though, and our fan club (my dad, sister, and fiancee) said we looked good doing it, which is really the most important :)  We finished in 3:08:00, which is decent.

I have also done fairly well with my mobile cleanse and my lumosity/duolingo stuff, but have yet to get into the meditation thing.  Still working on it.... 

Hope everyone has a great week 2!

• Like 2

Ok a little update on the week:

Monday

Workout 4 days a week: 0 completed so far

Back exercises: chiropractor visit

Eat more better: pretty well

Get out of bed at 7 every day: I let myself sleep a lot, even after the three hour nap after the half, I was exhausted

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: day 1 of putting my phone away at work, I didn't look at it until lunch

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - all 3 done!

Tuesday

Workout 4 days a week: I stretched and foam rolled and that's about as good as it's going to get this week...

Back exercises: done

Eat more better: I think I had some extra sugar this day...

Get out of bed at 7 every day: up at 6 for bible study

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: day 2 of putting my phone away at work, only looked at it once!

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - did not meditate

Wednesday

Workout 4 days a week: nothing extra

Back exercises: did not do

Eat more better: done

Get out of bed at 7 every day: done, though I keep falling asleep while doing my quiet time :0

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: not as successful, but the work I'm doing right now is very boring so I'm giving myself a pass

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - done

Thursday

Workout 4 days a week: nothing extra

Back exercises: done

Eat more better: I haven't been tracking well, but I may have gone over on sugar

Get out of bed at 7 every day: done

Mobile/timewaster cleanse: same as wednesday

Lumosity/duolingo/meditation - done

Friday so far

Back exercises: chiropractor visit

Get out of bed at 7 every day: got up at 6 for chiropractor visit

I have done a LOT of work this week so all of my waking hours have been consumed with that.  At least I'm doing well on that goal! I'll try to workout this weekend

• Like 1

Okay late to the party here.  Wow that is a lot to keep track of and they are fantastic goals.  Congrats on your half marathon!!!  Looking good while doing it is even better.  LOL

• Like 1

Thanks @suelk!

Here's my question now (to myself, but I would welcome suggestions): do I try to do a solo half where I actually finish the training and run the whole thing? There's one in November I could train for.  Or do I check this off my list for now and move on to a sprint triathlon.  I currently do not have a bike or a gym that has a pool so that would take some more adjustments to start training for, but nothing out of control.  I could use the stationary bike or TF's bike for now and the Y near TF's apt has a pool, but it's just one more thing to pay for.  It might make more sense to wait until I move out of my apt, since I use the gym there now, to find a gym with a pool.  But do I really want to keep up the long distance running right now? Hmm......

• Like 1

So I worked out on Friday and Saturday, so that's sort of 3 workouts this week.  Friday: I did 3 miles total with the pups, walking the first and last 1/2 mile each, so I wouldve ran about two miles.  The dog was being a pain in the butt though, so we did a lot of stopping.  I think it took 45 minutes when I was actually moving (the Nike running app pauses when you stop).

Saturday I did not have much time so I did a reduced strength routine.  Each set, I did 10 inverse rows, 20 lunges, 10 tricep dips, and 30 high knees.  I did three sets. For the rows, I did 4 on level 5 and the rest on level 6 for two sets, then could only two 2 on 5 and 8 on 6 the last set. I finished with my back exercises

I was going to run today but I am incredibly hungover, so that probably wont happen, so I'm gonna grade myself without that.

4 workouts: 2.5 out of 4

Back exercises: 5 out of 5

Eat better: too much sugar, but otherwise good

Time wasters: better, not great

Brain exercises: good, even some improvement on meditating

• Like 1

All in all not too shabby!  How often and how long do you meditate?  I find it pretty helpful.  Do you do any moving meditations?  I like to when I walk sometimes.  I have started to work more with visualizations besides the standard calm mind.

• Like 1

I do meditations one of two ways: I've been using the calm.com app for its five minute sessions, which is nice to be guided through something. I also decided that when I go to the chiropractor, the time I spend on the table alone, I'm going to use for meditation.  Its harder for me then because nothing is keeping me focused except my own willpower, which is traditionally very distracted.  I'm trying to do it every day, but succeeding 3-5 days/week. A moving meditation sounds nice, do you use something to keep you focused from all the nature noises? What kind of visualizations do you do? 

• Like 1

Here's my question now (to myself, but I would welcome suggestions): do I try to do a solo half where I actually finish the training and run the whole thing? There's one in November I could train for.  Or do I check this off my list for now and move on to a sprint triathlon.  I currently do not have a bike or a gym that has a pool so that would take some more adjustments to start training for, but nothing out of control.  I could use the stationary bike or TF's bike for now and the Y near TF's apt has a pool, but it's just one more thing to pay for.  It might make more sense to wait until I move out of my apt, since I use the gym there now, to find a gym with a pool.  But do I really want to keep up the long distance running right now? Hmm......

Did you make a decision on this? I don't know how to advise you here since you're taking into consideration a bunch of different things. A half seems easier logistically even with the dwindling daylight hours, but it all depends on what you want to do! ....... I'm completely unhelpful here, I know. ;;;;

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do the half.  One of my friends is doing it too and although she's much faster than I am, we could meet up after.  It seems like too many details to get into place to train for a tri right now.  I think I'll make a complete decision (aka sign up for it) if I do a long distance run this coming weekend.  I didn't get one in yesterday.

• Like 2

During a walking meditation I listen to music on my mp3 from a cd we picked up years and years ago.  http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/190-4269227-4052516?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=I+Ching+Frank+Steiner

I even use that music when I do general meditations.  As far as what I visualized, well that is complicated.  I have a "happy" place or two.  If you want details I can run through it.  Took a bit for me to settle into what works for me as far as imagery.  When walking no real images obviously however I keep my eyes soft if you know what I mean.

Monday update:

-technically got out of bed at 7 but took extra long to get ready and then took a nap. whoops.

-did so-so on timewasters, at least for the first half of the day

-no extra sugary things, though I could have done without the chips. Dinner was a frozen meal, but I left work at 930 so that was unavoidable

-did my back exercises

-did lumosity and duolingo, but not meditation

-worked out...details:

So I wanted to get a jump start on this week's avengers challenge, and I thought about barbell work as something that always seemed appealing but I had never tried. My friends had told me they were doing deadlifts the other day so I wanted to see if I could do one.  After eventually getting out of work, I picked up dinner (I could've gotten sushi, if I had been like ten minutes earlier) and headed to the gym.  I thought it would be empty so I could experiment and watch videos of form things while I worked out, but unfortunately, this one guy was in the weight room and going very slowly.  I wanted to wait until he was done so I did my back exercises first then walked on the treadmill for ten minutes.  When it was clear he still wasn't leaving, I went over there anyway.  Apparently my gym does not have a barbell except for attached to the smith machine (squat machine? I dont remember the difference).  So first I tried to use that to deadlift.....it doesn't go all the way to the floor so that wasn't going to happen.  I figured doing half the movement wasn't worth it.  So next I tried squatting/bench press with just the bar of it, since I've heard the bar is some weight itself but apparently that only applies to actual barbells and this was very light.  After all this experimenting, here's what I ended up doing, all total

-back exercises: 10 neck retractions (not a real name, I'm making that up), 10 kettlebell-weighted stretches

-ten minutes at 3.0 on the treadmill

-10 inverse rows: 5 at 5, 5 at 6

-5 squats with just bar

-10 inverse rows: 5 at 5, 5 at 6

-5 squats with 10 lbs added

-10 (?) bench presses with 10 lbs added

-5 squats with 10 lbs added

All in all, I definitely felt the burn and it was getting pretty late so solid workout :)

• Like 2