Hiroro: Lioness on the Hunt

Hiroro

WHOOP!!! 3 fist pushups!!!! That's awesome!

Sorry, also been away for a bit so catching up, but sounds like things are going well - at least what is noticeable is the change in attitude about food. My shopping list looks exactly like yours every week, I make chicken thighs, beef patties and boiled eggs (well I did, but I've somewhat gone off eggs  :rolleyes-new: ) and then green veg and fruit. It helps me to not have to make decisions beyond should I have chicken or beef today? And when I'm already having internal battles about going to gym or not drinking too much wine it does simplify things. It does also help in a way that your body reacts so strongly to a slice of bread, now it's just the process of reminding your brain that instant gratification (that delicious glass of wine in my case) equals delayed pain later (the throbbing headache and dull nausea of a mild hangover now that I'm no longer as young and strong of body as I once was). 

Anyway, glad you had a good weekend in Santa Monica and got out in lots of fresh air and sunshine! Keep up the awesomeness!

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

@TdF: glad to hear that the approach has worked for someone else! Now I just have to turn it from an idea into action. 

@Elastigirl: thanks, that means a lot coming from the beastliest hero!

No bread today, but I did eat 4 spoonfuls of Nutella. Which made me feel unwell of course...clearly I have to learn things the hard way. I also ate sweet potato fries with dinner (putting me way over carbs for the day), and then a couple macarons. Thankfully macarons keep well so I can leave the other three for the next day or two. Tomorrow I'm going in towards LA for dumplings, so I will be trying not to load up on baked goods and such in Chinatown. The dumplings will be treat enough for the weekend  :rapture: .

I'll work on getting more activity in over the weekend since my back finally feels just about recovered from Crossfit LAST THURSDAY. Ridiculous. I am however, doing squats for the Heroes vs Villains PvP today and plan to bike tomorrow since the shop finally finished with my road bike! Perhaps even alongside the ocean...

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Ugh so dumpling meetup turned into random Asian market/bakery shopping. Here we go with the carbs again. I get overexcited and buy way more than I should eat. *sigh* I can probably foist some of it off onto my coworkers/friends.

My mother was texting me today. She's over fifty, super-fit marathoner and I'm so proud. But even though I know she means well I hate it when she bugs me about working out and my health. I've gained weight over the past few years, and now I'm dealing with it. But she makes me feel so ashamed and self-conscious that I wish I didn't have to see her at the family function next weekend. Her nagging prompts an extreme emotional response in me that makes me want to either eat everything and get ridiculously obese out of spite or lose a lot of weight/build muscle as fast as possible and punch her in the face. Well, not really. Just with my snarky words :P

Rant over. I remembered that my gym is 24-hours, so I might as well get started on those burpees. I realized if I do 100 burpees/day, I'll finish with extras...no problem, right? 

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

23877-lioness-hunting-1680x1050-animal-w

Just got back from the gym (forgot to post the last blurb before I left, so the time stamps will be oddly close). Made up my own workout:

Pullups (assisted)

GHD situps

Chinups (assisted)

Lunges

Burpees

Sets: 10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

Except I did 10 burpees every time. And the first couple sets were probably full 10's before I realized I didn't want to do 100 of everything...yet.

Felt awesome. I'm stillll feeling last Thursday's Crossfit workout in my lower back (NINE days ago), so I may skip Crossfit for a couple weeks while I build back basic strength. Killing myself once a week is obviously not the right way to go (um, duh).

And if my mood swing seems extreme, it's because I get a pretty crazy endorphin rush from working out. If I don't get my endorphins, I can get grumpy. Hafta remember that.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Great workout. Sorry your mother made some unhelpful comments. Does she know how hard you have been working? You spend so much effort on being healthy, so you guys should have lots of awesome positive things to share. I know it doesn't always work that way...my mom makes me crazy too.

Hope your back feels better soon. Work in some gentle stretches where you can. I like the ones where you lay on your back, curl your legs in and roll forward-to-back and side-to-side. Also the onese where you lay one your back, bend your knees and twist your legs toward the side. It can make a big difference.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

@Xena: ooooh yes I like that one too...Happy Baby!

Week 4 Wrapup

Metrics

Carbs: 3/7

Fat: 4/7

Protein: 7/7

Sleep

Books read: 14/10 (I might have a problem here)

Afghan: nope. Bf is arriving Thursday so I’ve given up on finishing before he arrives. Will do this next challenge.

TV: 0.5 hrs (replaced by so much reading)

10:30pm bedtime: 4/7

Sweat

Crossfit WODs: Zero. My lower back was sore all week, and I didn’t want to mess with that. Iced/stretched and now I’m finally getting back to normal. I’m going to try to just go to the gym the next two weeks and do my own workouts.

Daily activity: 4/7 (Getting back in the gym, yay)

Burpees: 100 (800 to go in the next two weeks)

Full chinup: check

3 fist pushups: CHECK

Life

Daily morning set: 5/7

Volunteer: nope. Surprisingly difficult to find somewhere I can volunteer regularly considering there’s plenty of poverty in my area. I have put together homeless ‘care kits’ to keep in my car since I’d rather give stuff than money. This was also an opportunity for me to get rid of a ton of random small soaps. I may count this as it is ongoing.

Buy only consumables: 6/7 (going to have to make food budget part of next challenge)

Support fellow NFers: 3/7

Pick a gym: done

Summary

My Week 1 was a resounding success, and since then I’ve been maintaining weight. However, reviewing my many mini-goals I’m amazed at the things accomplished in the past few weeks. I completed my chinup, pushup, gym-joining, and book-reading goals. TV has become hardly an issue, and I’m sleeping earlier and getting my butt moving more often. I’ve also lost 1% of body fat. How about that?

Metrics don’t let me get away with anything, and it’s pretty clear that major carb overages are holding me back. It’s time to recognize that not every weekend is a special occasion. I’m excited to tackle Week 5 and hit my metrics. I do still have lingering carbs in the house (mochi!!! The food I miss most from Japan), and one piece with tea is my favorite nighttime ritual.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Now that I’ve actually joined a gym, it’s time to bring back training plans:

Week 5 Workout Plan

Monday: 100 burpees, Yoga (90min)

Tuesday: Burpees-pullups-situps-chinups-lunges

Wednesday: Burpees-turkish getups-KB snatches-sumo pull squats

Thursday: Burpees-deadlifts-pullups-squats-chinups

Friday: Burpees

Saturday: Burpees

Sunday: Burpees

Since I’ll be attending a family wedding Saturday, I’ll have to play this weekend by ear. But at the bare minimum, I’ll get my 100 burpees/day J and maybe do some solo yoga to deal with family-induced stress. Every time I do burpees I tell myself I'll never have to do them again. Yes, I lie to myself...very convincingly. Lovehatelovehateburpeeees.

So…after announcing that I’m going to go after my metrics this week I realize:

1. Saturday is the wedding at a VINEYARD. Wine=carbs.

2. Sunday is my birthday!

Which makes it even more crucial that the weekdays be spot-on. My weekend rules-- no cheese, minimal grains, focus on protein. I plan to celebrate with wine and chocolate, but will avoid foods that make me feel sick (this sounds obvious but...). Motivated to mitigate by the fact that my boyfriend will be in town and he’s gotten superfit.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Week 5 Monday

• Metrics-check
  • 100 burpees-check
  • Hot yoga-check

Burpees took me forever, I put on the 'Dance' playlist on Spotify and it definitely helped. Also baked choc-banana muffins and ate one, yummy. Brought the rest to work today to get rid of them. All in all a good start to the week.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Now only 605 burpees to go. I have to force myself to get through them but afterwards am all 'buahaha I own burpees'. I'm almost glad I procrastinated because it's more challenging this way. 

Aw shucks  :redface-new:  I don't get as worked up about my birthday as I used to...now that I'm a grownup and can basically buy what I want when I want it. Now the day is an excuse to eat extra chocolate  :rapture: .

the_lioness_queen_by_dyb-d6wy6j7.jpg

Week 5 Tuesday

• Metrics-check (I hit 100g fat but w/e, i'll count it)
  • Workout-yup. Felt tired after 10-9-8-7-6 (pullups, situps, chinups, squats, 10 burpees), so switched it up and did 10-9-8-7-6 (dumbell snatches, single leg deadlift, 10 burpees).
  • Went to bed a bit late :P

I was pretty beat after my workout, and didn't feel like cooking dinner. So I sat on the couch to eat some prosciutto, and the dog that my housemate sits (mutt...golden retreiver/something) put his nose in the air, wandered over and then sat and stared at me. Obviously I caved and gave him some. Having never owned a dog, I find myself awfully susceptible to begging.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

African-lioness-stalking.jpg

Week 5 Day 3

• Metrics-check. Basically ate meat all day to meet protein.
  • No workout. Too tired after work. Not even burpees.

I'm starting to get a bit apprehensive about the weekend. Partially because I don't want to see all my family while still overweight, but also because I know I'll have to make a lot of tough food choices. Birthday dinner with bf tomorrow, wedding dinner Saturday, birthday brunch Sunday, plus wine because the wedding is at a vineyard. I know it's special occasions, but I don't want to keep letting my weekends derail my progress. 

Game plan: dinner

I did check out the menu at tomorrow's dinner restaurant and plan to order figs w/pancetta, some kind of salad, and gnocchi with duck ragu. and I'll let bf pick a meat or fish last course. No drinks, no dessert (maybe a bottle of wine back at the hotel)

Game plan: brunch

Since my lovely cousin is planning my bday brunch, she consulted me on the menu. I requested that steak and eggs (mmmmm) be one of the selections.

Even with these plans in place, the booze of it all could get me. Wine, wine, wine, mimosas... :nightmare:

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Those are some great weekend plan foundations.

A few mental tricks/mantras I rely on when out in social situations and really trying to stick to my guns, metrics-wise:

Remember that even though this is a special occasion, it's not the food (quantity or specifics) that makes it special.

By not eating dessert, it doesn't mean you're having less fun. 

You're literally not missing anything if you skip out on dessert/appetizer/bread/whatever -- will you remember that dessert fondly when you're on your deathbed? No. 

You don't actually have to have a damn thing to eat at a social occasion. For reals. Even if everyone else is chowing down like the apocalypse is coming. You are 100% in charge of what goes into your mouth (this realization was like a damn lightbulb went off in my head when I had it - while watching family gorge themselves on crappy desserts)

If you have a small portion of the good stuff and avoid the bad stuff, the world won't end. You won't starve to death. The starving children in Africa will be fine. (helloooo, child of the 80s)

You don't have to eat if you're just bored. Go talk to someone instead. Dance. Make out with your boyfriend. (this one is haaaarrrrrrd for me, as a longtime member of the clean plate club)

Your clean eating is something you are doing for yourself - you're loving yourself by not standing in your own way on the path toward reaching your goals. Your eating plan is not about denial. You are not in diet jail. 

And finally, is that cake going to help you reach your goal? Hell no. 

:) 

• Like 1

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

Happy birthday! I would imagine wine with your boyfriend on your birthday is more special than during the wedding.

For the wedding, here would be my tip.... have a small (half-full or something) glass to start, for toasting and general celebration. Then a big glass of water. If you want a bit more wine after that, go with another half-glass. It kind of stretches it out. You can enjoy the taste but don't really drink very much. You can do it.

Tell your family about all the great things you are doing! Tell them about your job, your gym, your adventures in LA. You have so much going for you, and you are working very hard to become what you want to be. As much as you can, try to feel proud of yourself and confident :-)

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Thanks for the advice guys! Bahaha too bad I read it too late. I drank 4-5 glasses of wine the night of the wedding, and regretted it all the next day (not horrifically, just...sensitive stomach). It was an amazing weekend though, and I got through a birthday dinner, wedding dinner, and birthday brunch and came back the same weight! And had such a wonderful time seeing family and spending time with the bf. Then I proceeded to eat cheese yesterday and today :P

So I am certainly not crushing it like the first week, but I have no regrets for the weekend...except maybe one or two less glasses of wine. But all in all diet-wise, I'm slowwly getting there. Workout-wise...hm. I've been going to the gym, and enjoying it. Doing my burpees, and feeling awesome about it. I even did burpees/squats/situps outside with the bf on Friday. Then discovered a plethora of bites/scratches/maybe a rash from the grass. It's driving me crazy with the itch. Also...my wrist cyst is acting up enough that after yoga yesterday (wore a brace most of the time) it now hurts just doing regular things. Grrrrrrrrr. But I will not give up...will have to adjust my workouts quite a bit. Maybe focus on core and pull moves.

river_pounce.jpg

I am jealous of this lion's apparent ability to do burpees without pain.

Week 5 Summary

Metrics

Hit it the first three days, and made decisions I'm happy with over the long weekend. Enjoyed the celebration without overdoing it.

Sleep

TV not a problem since I've got the habit of reading before bed now. 4/7 before 10:30.

Sweat

Adjusted since I need more strength to not hurt myself in Crossfit. I'm now a regular at Monday yoga, and worked out 3/6 of the other days.

Burpees: 595/1000 and I might not keep trying on this one because pressure on my wrist is a no-go.

Life

Morning set 5/7

Buy consumables 7/7

NF forum 3/7

Though I haven't made as much progress this challenge as I've hoped, I'm still feeling optimistic. This birthday weekend I had three chances to blow out a birthday candle and make a wish. As cheesy as it sounds, I actually couldn't think of anything to wish for! It's one thing to recognize that I'm lucky to have a job, home, family, friends, bf, etc and another thing to realize I can't think of a single wish. Anything I really need or even want I can buy (by realigning my wants with my needs), and am in a very good place emotionally (last year was tough with frequent bouts of IBS). I am passionate about minimalism and working on financial independence, continuing to learn all sorts of things, and participate in the NF community. I may not love my job but I find it more interesting than my last role, plus I'm thrilled to spend some time closer to relatives. I want to gain fitness/lose weight, but that is within my control/capability. 

Thanks for sticking with me. Better things to come here.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Good going on not completely falling off the wagon during vacation - and yay to being in a good place with your life + a plan to make it even better! 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||

sounds like you're in such a great mental space, and that can only help you achieve your goals! Glad you had a fantastic weekend, and enjoyed yourself and didn't overanalyse or feel guilty, but just got back to gym and good eating! Such awesomeness 

level 2 Hobbit. Assassin-in-training

STR 3|DEX 2|STA 3|CON 1|WIS 3|CHA 1

Current Challenge: There and back again

Previous Challenges 1 2

"I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very difficult to find anyone." Gandalf the Grey

Hi! I'm still alive over here, just not active on the boards. My bf is in town for work, so all of a sudden my free time is a little less free. Also, work is ramping up (close to 60hrs this week), so I'm too busy to slack off there hehe. I might sit out the next challenge. Debating.

Summary

My challenge actually went well overall despite the lack of tracking/posting near the end.

Successes

• I'm at my lowest weight since last year (when I gained), 154.4 lb!
  • Found a gym
  • Made no TV a habit
  • Read so so much
  • Hit a full chinup
  • Hit 3 fist pushups

Learnings

• I need to gain strength before going to Crossfit, so I don't get injured (this gym is not as injury-preventative as my last one)
  • I need to find ways to work out despite the injuries (can always do air squats and core)
  • I love meat. High protein/low carb is tough but even if I focus on limiting grains and dairy it works okay for me for now (lost the last pound over a week of no tracking)

Thanks guys for sticking around, I know I'm here intermittently but this is for sure the best spot on the interwebs to hang out. I yo-yo'd a bit this year but after this challenge it feels like the net loss is permanent. Onward and downward!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Forgot stat points:

Metrics

This was definitely educational for me, I'll probably still track occasionally to see how I'm doing but for now since I'm losing weight I probably won't keep this up. More important for me is to keep a food diary with how I feel, going mostly gluten and dairy free. For my IBS, since my work-induced stress is increasing I have to be careful. Had two pretty bad days in as many weeks.

0/1.5 CON

Sleep

All the reading, not much blanket progress, hardly any TV, sleep by 10:30 half the time. My mom just bought me a fitbit (which grinds my gears because it's a not so subtle hint about losing weight AGAIN, but) I'm excited to track my sleep.

+2/2 WIS, +1/2 CON , 0/0.5 CHA

Sweat

A few Crossfit sessions, quite a few active days, 595/1000 burpees, 1 chinup, 3 fist pushups.

+2/4 STR, +0.5/1 CON, +0.5/1 STA

Life

Got in the daily set most days, want to keep working on that and incorporating meditation. Counting my homeless 'care packages' as an ongoing volunteer opportunity. Mostly bought only consumables, except for planned/needed purchases. Did not keep up the NF board activity, but better than previously. Picked a gym.

+0.5/1 DEX, +0.5/1 CHA, +1/1 WIS

Total

+2 STR, +1.5 CON, +0.5 DEX, +0.5 CHA, +3 WIS, +0.5 STA

Phew. Definitely going simple next time, though the spreadsheet was fun. I like the categories...maybe just 1-2 items per cat.

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Whoo! Whoo! Glad you're still alive, and you made some good strides :) 

Level 78 Wood Elf Druid

||Char/RPG||

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines