• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

awesomesue

Crushing 400

Okay that is it!  I am going to crush those 400 miles this time.  Blame the cold coming on or my insanity but I am not just going to set a goal of 400 miles in 6 weeks but I am raising the bar to 450.  Yeah that's right 450!  This time I have a plan.  Well actually I am making it up as I type sort of...but I have honestly been thinking about how to do it since I realized last challenge it was not going to happen.  I am now committing it to "paper".  First I am working on my very first half marathon Oct 4 soooooooooo I know I would like to build a weekly running base to 20 miles to start.  I want to work on running 4 times a week and want to increase at least 1 week day run to something over 3.5 miles.  Also I want to bike more.  This go around I am going to use the stationary bike at home so I am not always out away from my amazing family (I kind of like being around them ALOT!) when feeling crunched.  I ride to work and that is great but I want to work on building distance outside of commuting.  Last challenge I pushed myself to find longer bike routes home but again I can not take an hour to ride home either.  I have a stationary bike so I might as well use it!   So I say with commuting I would like to get to 60-70 miles a week cycling.  Most weeks if I ride every day I can easily hit 50+ miles.  Most weeks are not ideal due to time, weather, and all those other real life things so I am pushing myself but not more than I believe is reasonable.  More often than not I get out for a couple miles walking and want to keep it going so I think it would be safe to say 6-10 miles a week walking.  No need to expand walking.  I think it is good.

Last challenge I kept to the minimum amount of strength work and stretching more than I would have liked some weeks.  Well I want to be Mr Mrs. Incredible...no make that Elastigirl so I am setting the bar to strength and stretching to 3-4 times a week.  I know maintain okay at 2 times but I was improving strength wise and had better mobility at 4 times a week.

So now the question is:  How in the world will I manage this...Well I need to drag my sorry bottom out of bed and do what I can in the morning.  On days I get up and get moving before riding to work I always felt better and had more energy for the day.   I completed C25K running mostly mornings a year ago and was so proud that morning when I hopped on my bike afterwards to ride to work.  What an incredible morning.  I love to run early mornings but lately it has not happened.  Our sidewalks are terrible currently due to utility updates throughout the area.  I hate running in the street.  Some crazy drivers zipping up our street and frankly I do not feel safe on the road when running.  However there is nothing keeping me from biking and strength training.  I love to do my stretching in the evening.  It is so relaxing.  I think it is reasonable to say I need to be getting up early (4 or 4:30 am) 5 days a week (during the work week) so I can seize the day!

To sum up:

Crush 400 by going to 450!

• build up to running 20 miles a week, 4 weekly runs, and one weekly run that is over 3.5 miles (not counting my long slow run)...key words "build up to"
  • bike 60-70 miles a week.  When I can not get out then hop on the stationary and pedal like the wind.
  • keep walking 6-10 miles a week

Strength train and stretch 3-4 times a week.  At the end of this I had better be able to finally do a handstand.  I will even post a picture should I finally get it!  Sooooo close and yet so far away...

Get up during the week 4-4:30am so I can do some of my workouts.  I will also be able to help pack my lunch (my amazing husband does this for me mostly) and enjoy a cup of coffee with the hubby are all additional benefits to arising so blasted early!

Now to figure out progress bars....gggrrrrrrr!

• Like 1

Woo! 400 -- no, 450 miles is no joke! And I find early morning workouts to be the best; they wake you up, and it's out of your way so you can enjoy the rest of your day, etc. ^_^ Cheering you on to 450!!

• Like 2

Nice challenge. The biking and walking should really help assist your running.

At first I though you were going to run 450 miles in 6 weeks and I was like 75mile weeks??!!? @_@

hehe, good luck!

• Like 2

Not crazy enough to attempt it all running... :playful:   I have a ways to go before that could ever happen.  Now I do plan on doing an ultra in a couple years but right now I think just slowly building a solid running base is best.  I have a modest biking base to work with and I am hoping it all does help with my running.  I often opt to work on my feet when I could sit down plus using the stairs made a huge difference already.  Last challenge I mentioned I think it would be amazing for me to have a 100 mile week with run/walk/bike/swim combined.  I realized at the end of the last challenge (final week) I made it 90 miles.  I am thrilled to think I could actually have a couple 100 mile weeks.

On the side I was thinking last night that I honestly need to work on how much I eat.  I have times I eats lots of really good foods.  But when we decide to indulge I end up turning stupid.  Instead of eating pizza (ordered out and not homemade), for example, I do not eat until I am satisfied but I decide to eat several pieces until I feel sick.  It is frustrating to know I should stop and I do not.  Pizza is just an example.  I do not go to bed hungry or lacking in calories and it is such a mental game with some foods.  To eat what is considered a healthy amount, an appropriate portion, simply seems out of my grasp at times.  When I have with those triggers, be it specific foods (there is a huge difference between order out pizza and homemade) or emotions for that matter,  that I feel good that I will not be feeling ucky later when I eat reasonable but I feel like I am missing out.  Okay I know this is more of a fitness/health quest but I am going to track it as a life quest.  I feel so much is mental and has to do with impulse control that I would like to think it would influence other decisions I make (like saving money for our move etc.).  Old bad habits are tough to break and when I know I learned them as a means to deal with tough things years and years ago I know I need to and am able to unlearn them  Tracking food has helped but I need and want to be accountable too so I have that additional push to slow myself down and think it through.

I forgot to mention a reward...as if being fitter, going longer, and feeling better is not reward enough!  Anyway I am thinking some aerobars for my bike and will most likely need some more new cloths.  Love those thrift stores and love that my clothes are falling off me every couple months.  The weather will be on the verge of changing and in the colder weather I found I enjoy and do well running in jeans so I think an extra pair or two of jeans would be nice for running.  I am shooting for 100% on my goals and if I honestly try and still go down in flames then I will consider 75% worthy of my rewards.  Granted I am not one to scoff if you honestly try and do not succeed.  I still see that as a win because of trying.

• Like 2

The weather will be on the verge of changing and in the colder weather I found I enjoy and do well running in jeans so I think an extra pair or two of jeans would be nice for running.  

Oh man, I couldn't run in jeans -- but then most of my jeans are skinny jeans and meant so I can wear sexy boots over them, too. ;; Your rewards sound great, though, and I do agree -- if you give it an honest effort and still don't succeed, it's not a failure, it's a learning experience. ;) 

• Like 1

Okay I have no killer boots to wear over my jeans! Just an awesome pair of hiking boots.  Hiking boots are sexy too aren't they?  ha ha ha Losing weight means jeans that are loose and comfy for running.  I actually keep ones a size too big so I can layer for bike rides in 30 degrees and windy weather too.

So I am starting the challenge off sort of sick.  Uh oh!  I am fighting something.  I have taken it easy and rested but it keeps hanging and I am going up and down.  Yesterday I did nothing other than side challenge stuff.  Complete rest day minus working.  After work I did get to replace my insoles that gave out over a week ago.  I am very relieved to have good support so I can run and not hurt my feet and knees.  Today I did ride my bike to work and depending on how I feel when I get home I may do a short run.  Not looking so good for how I feel right now.  I was going to ride at lunch but opted to rest.    If nothing else I will complete the side challenge and no matter how I feel I can spend some time stretching.  So progress is still made!

• Like 1

Hope you feel better soon.  I've started thinking about trying to get up to 10k soon.  Hell, I even started figuring out how long it would take me to run a half and full marathon if I could keep up my pace.  

Good luck in the upcoming half.  It will be great to see how you do.

• Like 1

Last night I fizzled out and did nothing outside of the side challenge stuff.  I did bike to and from work so there are a few miles down of the 450 I want to accomplish.  Today I work up feeling better.  Still a bit off but much better so I did hop on the exercise bike for a few minutes this morning and get in a quick 3.5 miles.  After packing lunch and getting ready for work I then rode in another 4.8 miles.  I have my running shoes and barring the sudden downhill slides I have experienced with this bug I am going to keep to my Wednesday lunch dreadmill time and shoot for 2 to 3 miles.  Also I will get in NF Body weight level 1 workout A in today too.  That is the plan at the moment.  Forcing myself to rest and only push a little has definitely helped!

Hope you feel better soon.  I've started thinking about trying to get up to 10k soon.  Hell, I even started figuring out how long it would take me to run a half and full marathon if I could keep up my pace.  

Good luck in the upcoming half.  It will be great to see how you do.

That is so cool you are thinking about a half and full!  I am already looking at a half and full next year.  I am nuts and when I realized I wanted a half and more I went from 5K straight into half mode.  I honestly thought that the most I would ever want to do is a 5k and then found out I was so wrong.  Too much fun.  I can not wait to hear how it goes for you!  right now I am looking at about 2:50 for a half.  Ugh but hey it is a start.  The next half will be much better (will not be until the spring and I plan on training through the winter with mini breaks).  The beauty of a first is that I will set a PR.  LOL!

Get better soon!! :love_heart:

Feel better!

Thank you so much!  I am feeling better today so I take that as a good sign.  Now I can really begin work on this challenge.

So with being bummed from feeling worse as the day went on yesterday I was dumb with food.  I ate even when I was full.  I mean I was satisfied, thought "hey Sue, it is a good time to stop" and then proceeded to get a small second helping.  Ugh.  At least I recognize it and tonight I will do better.  It is always dinner I tend to loose my mind.

Despite feeling icky I have gotten out of bed between 4 & 4:30 each morning so that is going along.  Today was hard because it was warm and comfy.  Yesterday was hard because I was feeling ucky but then I thought I could still get up, relax on the couch watching news and enjoying a hot coffee with my hubby.  Staying in bed did not mean more sleep/rest.  I was wide awake even though I felt off.  Monday was the same as yesterday.   Got up to help establish the habit if nothing else.  If I was too sick to get up then I would have been too sick for work.  May not have felt well but not enough to stay in bed and call off for the day.

• Like 1

2:50 for a half is not bad, actually! I'm a firm believer in the "as long as you finish, you're a winner" philosophy of running races, but even so, that averages out to ~13:00 minute/miles and that is nothing to be "ugh" about! :)

I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

• Like 1

Thanks!  You are right, finishing will be a big accomplishment for me.  I normally run around 13:30-14ish but runner friends at work really think it will be faster.  Managed a couple miles at lunch so I am happy!

That is so cool you are thinking about a half and full!  I am already looking at a half and full next year.  I am nuts and when I realized I wanted a half and more I went from 5K straight into half mode.  I honestly thought that the most I would ever want to do is a 5k and then found out I was so wrong.  Too much fun.  I can not wait to hear how it goes for you!  right now I am looking at about 2:50 for a half.  Ugh but hey it is a start.  The next half will be much better (will not be until the spring and I plan on training through the winter with mini breaks).  The beauty of a first is that I will set a PR.  LOL!

Yeah, I never thought I would run a 5k.  When I did it, I immediately thought "I wonder if I could do a 10k"  It is all about overcoming those things that seem impossible to me.  A year ago, I thought it was impossible for me to run a 5k.  I think to myself now that it seems impossible to do a marathon.  Like I have no idea how people actually can do it.  So first I want to get that faster 5k time, and maybe hit up a 10k.  Once I conquer that, maybe the half is next ;)

• Like 2

@Tateman, I bet you can do it!  You obviously are not afraid to put in the work and take time.  

Good day on Wednesday!  I was smart with dinner..score.  I completed the side challenge again, another score.  I now have 1 of 4 strength and 1 of 4 stretching under my belt.  It appears this week I may only get in 3 runs but then again outside of my long runs, this close to the half, perhaps it best I not increase the number of runs a week.  Although I am considering maybe a 4th as long as I keep it around 2 at most, maybe only 1 just to get used to running 4 times a week.  Up at 4:20.

Not counting my ride in to work today I have covered a total of 26.97 miles of 450.

5.9%
5.9%

Do you plan on having a certain number of rest days or anything before running the half?  I often wonder how people handle that.  I know I usually have a rest day or two for the smaller events I have done haha.

I am pretty new to all this myself.  My game plan is to keep my long run to somewhere around 10 miles the week before and just my usual couple runs during the week.  I will stay around 2 miles.  After our vacation I found that  after missing almost a week of running I was able to come back strong enough to do the miles without worry.  Well I was stressed but I found out I was able to do it and I felt strong.  I am running my long on Saturday (normally I do them Sunday) with the short runs on Monday and Wednesday then the following Saturday the HM.

Rough ride home...from my dailymile account:

Some people are idiots. Should have been a nice ride home from work. I am feeling ucky but it is lovely out. Then the guy in the work van pulls up less than inches from me just to blow his horn and scare the crud out of me. I almost crashed. Then the lovely little college girls that decided to run across the street against the light to their lovely little college boys. The boys kindly yelled out for them to be careful and not get hit. I was the only traffic in danger of hitting them. Then fat girl on a bike jokes ensued and oh so hysterical laughter. Problem is that I am not laughing. I made it home with only a few tears along the way. Sometimes people are rude and hurtful. Ah well going to workout as planned and stretch while I try to forget them and the comments.