• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

awesomesue

Crushing 400

If I am feeling awful tomorrow I may need to take a sick day and sleep a bunch to finally kick this thing in the backside!  Been so up and down that extra rest may help.  Had this issue at the start of this challenge for the first week.  Better last week, still not great, and then back down this week.  Shoot it is looking like I may not get another run in this week before the hm on Saturday.  Ouch.  It is all good though.  ;)

Well I am back sort of.....still sick.  Sleeping has not helped nor running a hm in cruddy weather!  Got a lot worse after the hm and now am getting better.  However as a result it is not looking good for the distance goal I *thought* I was going to crush.  I am not throwing in the towel but I am not sure if I will be able to make the miles necessary since I am still sick.  I have not been able to bike to work this week and not sure if I will be able to tomorrow.  I am hoping because it is awesome exercise and truly fun.  Not running again until this weekend and it is going to be a short run.  

I am at 150.97 of 450...

33.5%
33.5%

That is around 150 miles each of the next two weeks.  Although the title of this challenge is crushing 400 so hey I will be thrilled to hit 400!  Honestly I shoot high in order to push myself to achieve more but at the same time, even if I do not want to admit it, I believe that I can do it.  I have yet to break the 100 mile week so it is a stretch to think I could do 150 each week for 450.  Then again anything is possible especially if done thoughtfully or on a whim....LOL!  Work is closed on Friday so I am hoping to be better and sneak in a few miles.  I was planning on upping my bike work this week.  Each day I feel better so you never know.

I only did strength and stretching a couple times last week.  I will be able to strength train this evening and stretch.  It will not be a vigorous workout but it will be done so I can challenge myself and yet complete it. 

Oddly through all this I have been getting up early during the week.  It is the oddest thing but hey I will take it!!!  

• Like 1

Oh no, you're still sick? Poor rebel. Do the best you can on your goals, but remember the most important thing is to listen to your body when it's telling you what it needs. I hope you get enough done that you will be happy with your results!

• Like 1

My daughter likes to share her colds with me.  I am sure the stress of going into a half while knowing I was getting sick certainly helped it all along on that cold wet day.  LOL

I did not do anything last night.  Just resting and reading right now.  Not going to push it tonight.  I want to....oh I so want to but I can not get up stairs without coughing a lot so rest is tops again this evening.  It is definitely getting better.

I used to believe getting used to stairs and working out consistently would be the hardest part of improving my fitness.  I am sooooooooo wrong!!!!!!  You know what it is?  Rest.  Yeah that's right.  Still have my cold in my chest so still not doing stairs or working out because even walking too fast sends me into coughing and my energy is so low.  I am exhausted when I get home from work.  I wanted to walk home today but my husband says that is not a good idea.  It is only 4.5-5 miles.  He mutters something about resting so when I resume my activities I will be able to do them as I like and not get sick and all that fun stuff.  It is cool out and rainy off and on most of the day.  I am willing and wanting to try but he may be right....not that I will admit that to him!   LOL   :playful:

Tomorrow work is closed so I am going to be doing a little bike maintenance and will try a workout or 3.  Looking forward to showing my bike some love.  Cleaning thoroughly, tightening brake cables and cleaning and greasing the chain.  That is all I know how to do.  I am getting a book from the library on bike care today.  I want to take it apart this winter and check things that have not been checked since we purchased it 3 years ago.  Recently replaced the brake pads but still going to give them the once over.  I also plan on getting down on paper my workout schedule, biking plan for the century, and running goals through the end of the year.  Around Dec. I will then work on the next 3 month block based on how I am doing at the end of this one.  I know I am a little behind on this on but my main goal was completing that first hm.  Still so proud I did it.  My daughter is now considering a 5k with me this spring.  That would be even more amazing to do one with her.  I think she likes the shoes and the idea of a medal.  LOL If it gets her :onthego: and enjoying it then I am happy.

I miss my stairs at work.  I am starting to get a little too used to the elevator.  It used to feel very strange to ride on them but now well not so much.  I worked so hard to be able to do stairs all day at work and hope to break 40 flights one day for fun (even if it means running a few flights at lunch).  Hopefully Monday I am good to go and be back on the stairs!  

I like feeling strong.  I like moving, oh I really like how it feels when I am moving, and I like being healthier than I was a year ago or even a month ago.  Gah I loath being sick!

Awesome that your daughter is considering doing a run with you. :D

Resting can be hard, I've noticed that too! Once you get used to moving and being out DOING stuff it's hard to stop.  Hope you get back to 100% on your health soon.

• Like 1

Thanks!  Today has not panned out to be what I had planned.  However it has been wonderful.  My husband and I ended up help my inlaws run a couple errands since they do not drive.  They treated us to lunch and everyone enjoyed being together and talking.  It was a very good day.  It ended with picking up our daughter from school and now all relaxing at home.

I think the rest part is hard because I still fear going back to old habits.  Running scared....ha ha ha. *cough*  Okay no running at the moment.  I worked so hard to get to the half that I know I will never go back but still not used to saying I did it and certainly still not used to looking at myself as anything but what I used to be like.  Those changes take time.  As I have learned though, the more I allow myself to believe I can do things the more I actually can do.  Simply have to allow myself to look at good ole Sue here differently than in the past.  

• Like 2

I know what you mean.  When I was considering signing up for my half ironman, one of my arguments against it was 'what if I lose interest in triathlons, that's a lot of money to waste on a hobby that might only last another month' I was considering giving up before I even really tried! It's so easy to think about our new habits as not being permanent when we are just beginning them.

• Like 1

I know what you mean.  When I was considering signing up for my half ironman, one of my arguments against it was 'what if I lose interest in triathlons, that's a lot of money to waste on a hobby that might only last another month' I was considering giving up before I even really tried! It's so easy to think about our new habits as not being permanent when we are just beginning them.

You put it so well!  And look at what we have done since then....hm for me, triathlon for you, and just all kinds of awesome!  Some days are easier than others when looking at these newer habits.  For me I wonder if some of it comes more from having tried and failed in the past.  Granted I always kept trying.  A fragile confidence in a sense.  It is scary in a sense to say this time has been different even though it is/was different.  However it is time to quit thinking of it and just accept the facts.  The old habits can stay in the past, I can quit dwelling on them and thinking of how disappointed I was in myself, accept that time for what it was and the choices I made, and just look at where I am now and where I am going. 

• Like 1

Feeling better for what it is worth.  Tried to run at lunch but my energy is sorely lacking and the coughing pretty much ended that before it began.  I still walked a couple miles.  I am going to work on strength and stretching tonight.  Also I want to hop on the exercise bike and at the very least try and ride a few miles at a moderate pace....trying to find the balance between getting my heart rate up and not hack up a lung!  Still I really am feeling a bit better!  

Back to the stairs at work.  Woot!  Had to pause after a few flights to cough some but hey I can do them again.  Made me super happy!!!  Never thought I would like stairs so much.  Weighed myself for the first time in a couple weeks and expected to see some increase in weight since I have not been as active.  I have tried to eat sensibly for the most part.  It was nice to see I weigh exactly the same.  I am doing something right.  Of course I would like to see a decrease but not being active as I normally am and enjoying some mystery fudge cake and *gasp* 7UP (feels good on my throat and always tastes good when I am sick) in addition to other things and I am pleased that I maintained.  

Had a good weekend overall.  I rested more.  I had some quality time cleaning and working on my beloved bike.  Worked in the yard and am shocked that some muscles are sore.  It is a good sore.

So last night I managed a really good body weight strength workout.  It felt good.  I managed to do all the push ups properly.  Minus coughing a lot between rotations it was nice.  I felt strong and was pleased with how I did.  However I forgot to stretch and cycling was out of the question.  Still way too much coughing.  Today I am going to try again a lunch for a run or ride.  Definitely stretching this evening.  Even wrote it on my hand so I can not forget.  :))

Unfortunately my lungs said no to a lunch run.  Still recovering.  My energy is a tad better today .  Hey I am happy to be on stairs again.  Granted I have to slow down to cough at times but I can do them.  Running may not work but maybe my exercise bike tonight will be okay if I keep it at a slow pace.  I simply want to move.  I have a need to just "go!".  

I am crushed that I will not be crushing 400.  Two challenges in a row I set distance goals and both had things come up.  I could not help sickness this time around I know but still it is frustrating.  I think for next challenge I am simply going to set a goal to do as many miles as I can and see what I do.  Sort of unfair since I will start working toward a 100 mile bike ride so I am betting I will hit some high mile weeks.  I was going to start that training this week but the chest cold is keeping that from happening darn it!  Plus getting back running will be awesome.  I miss it terribly.  With the weather turning we will be hitting up the rec center so I will also be getting in more swimming.  I love splashing around with kiddo and putting in a half mile swim over the course of a couple rest periods.  My strokes may not be pretty anymore but I can do it.  LOL  Until I can take lessons to brush up on my swim strokes I decided to do a duathlon next year for fun.  If I can afford a swim lesson or three then a tri would be awesome!  Right now we are just happy to pay rent and be able to buy some food.  

Being sick and having time to think things through I have already worked on goals for next challenge (just do what I can do distance wise, weight, and finally doing a handstand because it looks fun and will impress kiddo).  I have also worked on my next two training plans.  Yes I like to have something on paper but nothing is every set in stone.  I like to have the base established and then modify as needed based on my progress.  I also have planned breaks every 4 weeks where my miles will be less or a few extra rest days.  Do not want to over do it.  I find so much joy in having these things I am working towards.  Yes some runs are tough for example but it is still fun.  It is fun to experiment and see what I can do.  My daughter is doing a mileage club at her school.  She told her dad she is doing it because she wants to see what her body can do.  Oh I laughed with my husband because she has heard me utter those exact words!  Plus she is considering a 5k with me.  Now that would truly be a gift if she does it because she enjoys it and I get to do it with her.  How awesome would that be?  

• Like 1

Too bad that you weren't able to do everything you planned this challenge.  Being sick really puts a damper on things, but you have to let your body recover.  I like what you are saying about making slightly different goals for next time so that if you get sick again it won't hurt the over all challenge, just that one week.  It's pretty cool that your daughter has been inspired by you to take your words and apply them to her life too! :) It's always so awesome when people see the changes you've made and want to see what they can do. :)

• Like 2

Getting better!  What a crazy cold it has been.  May have derailed part of my challenge but it has also reminded me that rest is sooooooo important and allowed me to shift my focus and work on plans.  When I am better I will be able to implement them and just go!  That is exciting to think about.  Still biking and running leads to painful coughing fits so I took the advice of a runner friend at work and decided to keep on resting on that front.  She said that it is still too soon if coughing like I am.  I had to agree.  My energy has improved drastically.  I will wait until this Saturday to get out again biking and running.  Do not want to push it and end up sick again.   

I am feeling so much stress at home.  Money is beyond tight.  It is a struggle to even buy food.  Thank goodness for food pantry's is all I can say.  Despite the stress I find I am coping so much better with this round of stress.  Being able to strength train has helped manage the stress even with coughing some and stretching for relaxation has been awesome.  Being able to recognize that later it will be better (much like this cold) and work on what I can as far as planning has helped.  Not getting angry out of stress/exhaustion is definitely a win.

Thanks.  I was feeling better but started to tank again at the end of the work day.  The entire tired and swollen glands (which I still have this morning) but I think I am starting to have an inflammatory response that is from other health concerns.  Or it is a matter of fighting the other junk running around work.  Have to pop into work today and will try riding my bike to see how it goes.  Somehow I managed to strain a lower back muscle.  If I am able I want to get out for a run tomorrow.  I have missed running more than anything.  If possible I want to take kiddo to the rec center for swimming for a couple hours.  At the end I would end up in a hot tub for a few minutes.  After showering and on our way out we end up with 30+ minutes of ping pong or as I call it "watch mommy chase the ball" and a rousing game of (now say it in a deep booming impressive voice) extreme air hockey!  A game where multiple pucks fly and bruises can happen followed by rounds of laughter and uncontrolled giggling.