looking for advice on how to beat my demons

ebm1224

Maybe you are focusing on the wrong thing here. What are you eating earlier in the day that is opening the door to all this snacking/craving? Beek's comments to other carbs more points to the fact that your body is asking for a nice shot of glucose in the afternoon. Beek's comment is more around empty carbs (sugar, enriched flour, pasta, etc.) can really muck up your blood sugar. Sways in blood sugar trigger cravings (think, 'I need a snack').

When you are only eating 1200 calories a day you need to make each calorie count. Ice Cream, candy, etc. are loaded with sugar. Thats just an empty calorie that is causing you to snack more (by violently swinging your blood sugar). There is room for some indulgence if the rest of your day's eating habits are in line. Have you ever posted your whole day's diet before? If not, can you throw it up here?

Also, get the junk out of your place. Then, when you get that craving and walk to the store, think about why you are walking to the store while you are doing in. Are you making the best choice right now? Are you actually hungry or are you just bored? Is there something else at the store you can buy to eat that will be better for you?

For Collin....I will level up my life with the lessons you taught me

My attempt at a blog: just54days.wordpress.com

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

I'm really glad this thread exists and that you don't have to do paleo to be welcome in the community :) Sorry for posting a long-ish rant earlier then abandoning the forum again, I just am shy and don't know what to say, except you guys are awesome :P

Herp derp my previous post was meant for a different thread. I stand by what I said, though, as I'm coming up against similar issues. To answer the actual question of this thread, I think, like other people said, it's important to just cut back instead of cutting things out entirely, otherwise you'll set yourself up for failure. If you gradually ramp back on the junk food, eventually you'll rarely if ever want it at all. But these things don't generally happen overnight in my experience. And I still drink Aspartame, in large quantities. I know it's not ideal, but it's better than high fructose corn syrup. Of course, I occasionally drink beer in large quantities, too, so I'm not perhaps the best person to ask about healthy liquid advice.

I'm glad you posted.. regardless of which thread :)

Life cannot be lived without beer (imo). And it shouldn't have to be (ya know..unless there are extenuating circumstances).

Macnip has some solid words of wisdom there. Refined sugars and flours (white flour, yo) are going to throw your body for a loop. Minimize them, maximize the good stuff and you'll definitely notice the difference. But no, it won't happen over night. And it will be an ongoing thing. You just need to know when to let yourself live life and when you're doing more damage than good.

http://www.bodyrock.tv/2011/09/24/food-happiness/

Read this and then go back and read some of her other food related posts. This chick is a superhero beast and she still plays with her diet. Go back a few months and see more primal plan implemented then further back for what she was doing before (like 70/30 I think she said). I like her ideas on food (though I'm not as restrictive as she currently is).

"I'm just going to remember to not eat like an asshole most of the time" - MoC

three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: one must squat.- Brobert Frost
 Half-Elf Warrior | Current Challenge
 New Battle Log | Old Battle Log
Special thanks to AkLulu for drawing my awesome avatar!

because you asked for it. my average daily diet. ugh, i'm really shy/embarassed to put this up. *gulp*

breakfast: granola bar and some fruit (bananas lately). sometimes it's just the granola bar. once a week i do something a bit more indulgent (brunch with friends, muffin from dunkin' donuts, etc)

lunch: options are usually a sandwich (on wheat if i can get it. usually turkey, chicken, or tuna with veggies). on the side, i often have chips (baked sometimes but not always), veggies, or fruit. water or diet coke to drink. sometimes i'll have a salad of some kind with chicken. sometimes my day is hectic and i end up just having a few snacky foods around lunch time (100 calorie popcorn and fruit maybe).

snack: fruit usually. lately, i've been getting protein bars as well since they seem to keep me full longer and i tend to not get enough protein without them.

dinner: this varies alot (especially since the bf and i are trying to learn to cook and trying new things out). when we cook at home, it's often meat, veggies, and brown rice. sometimes we do a pasta dish with chicken/beef, cheese, and veggies. sometimes a mexican thing with ground beef/turkey, beans, cheese, pico, corn, etc. i love sweet potatos as a side. when we go out to eat, i often get a salad with chicken. sometimes a burger and fries. maybe once or twice a week i throw caution to the wind and do the fast food thing.

snack: something sweet (ice cream, candy, cookies), fruit, veggies, chips (varies from day to day but i'm definitely a snacker after dinner).

ok, so there ya go. not sure if that was too helpful since it does vary a good bit. i usually do fairly well with getting my 5 a day (veggies and fruit). i don't usually get hungry until lunch. after lunch i'm usually good until 3 or 4. and then i get snackish after dinner. i'm somewhat lactose intolerant so i don't drink alot of milk. i do eat cheese though. portion control is a hard thing for me, especially at dinner when there's leftovers that are easy to eat.

ok, here we go.

Thanks for posting your diet...it really helps get a picture of where you are at. When do you eat lunch? Your morning is very light on food (some hard boiled eggs could go a long way to helping you out). Also, your day is very heavy in carbs which is why you are getting cravings. You use sparks right? Do you log your food? What kind of macro ratios are you seeing. I am guessing you are upwards of 70% carbohydrate in a day. You probably want to cut that back and up your fat/protein intake. You will find yourself fuller throughout the day and make it easier for you to maintain your new eating approach

Battle Log: http://nerdfitness.com/community/showthread.php?5775-MacNip-s-Growing-Up-(Hopefully)

i tend to eat lunch around 1 or 2. but i often don't eat breakfast until 10am (i sleep kinda late). i'm not a big fan of eggs...is there any other protein source that i could have in the morning?

i do log my food with spark. looks like they recommend 50% carbs, 20% protein, and 30% fat. looking at some of the stats they give me, it looks like my biggest deficit is protein...but i tend to go overboard on carbs/fats. i also go over in calories...they recommend 1200-1550 but i'm usually between 2200 and 2800. i'm not quite at the 70% for carbs...actually, looking closer at the charts they give me, i'm hovering around the 50% they recommend. the problem seems to be the number of calories i'm consuming and % of that that is fat.

i'm a few days in to making some changes (cutting out certain sweets) so these stats may change soon.

it looks like my biggest deficit is protein...

i also go over in calories...they recommend 1200-1550 but i'm usually between 2200 and 2800.

Try some leaner cuts of meat? Tilapia and Chicken Breast are both pretty amazing for protein per calorie. Buy 'em frozen in bags for maximum value and freshness.

Whey protein power is another great way to get a bunch of low calorie protein into your diet.

Another favorite of mine is imitation crap legs (basically processed Pollock.) Buy them in bulk frozen. I take 4 of them and put them in the microwave on defrost for 3m for a quick snack.

Suggestion:

Stir fry up some Tilapia with some sugar snap peas, broccoli or whatever with some soy sauce and oyster sauce. Mash/chop up the Fish to the texture of clumpy rice. Portion and put in a tupper ware containers to eat at your leisure.

edit: Also take a look at what's in those granola and protein bars you're eating. Probably a lot of simple carbs, sugar and calories there.

Mon: DeadLift, Pulldown (Chin grip), DB Rows, Push-ups

Wed: Bench Press, Military Press, DB Press, Chins

Fri: Squat, Leg Press, Good Mornings, Chins, Push-ups

Hi - late to the thread, but I figured I'd put in my 2c.

Firstly, the ONLY thing I've found that keeps me from making bad food choices in the evening, is having a huge breakfast in the morning. I'm talking lots of protein (eggs, chicken breast, leftover fish, whatever) and maybe some fruit. If you want quick morning protein, try whey protein shakes with as little sugar as you can muster. (I do a serving and a half of whey with frozen melon, blended in my magic bullet - smoothie!) This would also be a good alternative 'sweet' in the evening if you were craving FOOOD. As it will fill you up and not give you a huge sugar spike.

Regarding processed sugar, I am completely and utterly on the other end of the spectrum from everyone else. I have to go cold turkey when I'm giving up the sugar. I will have cravings/withdrawl for about three days, and then start feeling great and not wanting the sugar, aside from 'intellectually'. ie, I could really go for a bit of icecream right now, but not "I MUST HAVE NOW WRAR I WILL KILL THOSE WHO OPPOSE ME" which is where I am otherwise.

I've found if I try to 'ease into it', I never get there. Whereas if I just look at sugar and go, "That's not food any more" it's much easier for me to just give it up. I try to think of it like eating delicious cardboard - not really food.

ok so.

there's two ways that you can do this.

1) make a ton of changes all at once, and fully commit to 30 days. this takes a TON of willpower, but the results are faster and you'll get over the cravings sooner.

or (which is the way I did it, and highly recommend)

2) make a list of everything you want to change, and change ONE THING at a time, for a few weeks. then after a few weeks are up, and you're feeling good about that one - give up something else in addition to that thing you gave up.

For example, when I went paleo (and i'm not suggesting you do, just using this as an example) I started off with a new years resolution of saying "I want to eat nothing processed by the end of the year" (I actually had no idea what paleo was at that point, I found it in April - which is why you suddenly see 'rice' and 'dairy' get added to the list of things that had to go)

So it went something like this (I actually don't remember the order, it was 2010)

January: No more candy/limit cookies and cake to at work functions

Feb: No more pasta, limited bread to just my daily sandwich at work

Mar: No more cheese except for goat cheese

April: No more cookies/cake, even when people brought them in for work events.

May: No more rice.

June: No more cereal for breakfast

July: No more dairy

August: No more soy. At this point, the ONLY thing I was eating that wasn't paleo was a veggie burger with a bun and goat cheese on it - so that was the last thing to give up.

This worked INCREDIBLY well for me. Obviously since you're not looking at paleo, I'm not saying do exactly that - but since it's only one little thing you're giving up at a time, it seemed easy.

I'm really not one of those people who can just drastically change my lifestyle at the drop of a hat.

oh, and for sweets = chocolate protein powder saves me like crazy.

Spezzy, the Arcane Skirmisher
Chaotic Good Quarter Elf Slayer/Magus
STR: 21 / DEX: 17 / CON: 14 / INT: 15 / CHA 15
“There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”

I replaced ice cream with this whipped coconut: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/decadent-coconut-milk-whipped-cream-with-berries-and-dark-chocolate-coconut-mousse/

I put that stuff on strawberries, and tried to eat fruit instead of candy. The coconut thing might be better if you are lactose intolerant.

And I second Roos on going cold turkey--If I hadn't quit all at once it wouldn't have worked, but I was eating a lot more sugar than just snacks and after dinner. I'm sure you'll figure out what works for you :)

this is really great advice. i've challenged myself to not eat ice cream or candy for 30 days (i'm 6 days in) so we'll see how that goes. i have had some cookies/cake in the last few days, though.

spezzy, i really like your idea of doing one thing at a time. i was already sort of thinking that after this 30 days, i'd see if i could do 30 days of no candy, ice cream, or pastries (cookies/cakes/etc).

i keep reading about everyone doing paleo and having such awesome results. i doubt i'll ever jump in full force but there are definitely lessons i can learn from it, specifically:

1) meat for breakfast is not a bad thing. i didn't grow up doing that so i don't do it as an adult. but perhaps that would be a good change. I bought some turkey sausage today.

2) eggs are not just for special occasions. i have to get over my "eggs are bad for me" mentality.

3) a complete meal doesn't have to have a carby carb. meat and veggies is a totally healthy meal in an of itself. and a sweet potato is amazing.

i went grocery shopping today. got some stuff i don't normally get:

1) apples - i always have apples but i got more than usual (i love mcintosh and they are in season!). good for a sweet snack.

2) pears - i often have these in the house but, again, i got more than usual. same reasoning as above. also, i've been reading about desserts that include pears and apples.

3) protein bars - kinda wishing i had taken a look at the sugar content before buying but i'm thinking to sub this for a quick morning breakfast instead of the granola bar.

4) meat - got more than usual. ground beef, chicken breasts, and we already had some ground turkey.

5) cauliflower - i'm not a huge fan but i've seen some recipes lately where you can make this act like rice or potatos.

6) spinach - i've been doing alot of wilted spinach lately (thanks capshaw for the advice on the lemon juice - i'll be trying that soon!)

7) frozen veggies - got more than usual for quick meals. they tend to be boring, though, so i'd love to know ways to make them tasiter.

8) chocolate pudding mouse cups - good for a chocolate craving - and only 120 calories

9) greek yogurt - more expensive than what i usually get but i've heard it's good and i know it's like double the protein of my usual yogurts.

so there ya have it. gonna keep going with the no candy/ice cream thing and try to reduce the carbs i eat a bit. i think that will help me stay full longer and decrease the number of calories i eat, overall.

any other advice is very welcome (paleo or otherwise)...and any advice for a relative cooking noobie would be great :)

To answer the actual question of this thread, I think, like other people said, it's important to just cut back instead of cutting things out entirely, otherwise you'll set yourself up for failure. If you gradually ramp back on the junk food, eventually you'll rarely if ever want it at all.

I just want to say that I tried this for years and years and it never worked for me until I went paleo. I'm not full paleo though, but modified (more Primal), and I do not do low carb. I was starving all the time on Weight Watchers, and all I thought about was food. I could lose weight, but I was terribly unhappy on it. Something about knowing that I can eat as much as I want on paleo, but just of the right things, makes all the difference for me, but it's not even necessary, because I'm not hungry like I used to be. Plus, my skin cleared up completely and I got tons of energy. I actually went back to gluten for a few weeks (during the month of 4 weddings), and my skin completely broke out and I felt awful. Cutting back seems to set me up for failure, or at least constant misery. Of course, you can choose whatever path you want, but I think that it's not really fair to judge that until you've at least given it a try.

Yes. I actually started it because it was closest to the allergy diet the doctor gave me, but I was really surprised how easy it was as a lifestyle. Plus, I went down two sizes in three months, and I wasn't even really focusing on that. I dunno why psychologically thinking I have to severely limit myself (the old-fashioned "diet") makes me miserable, and I know it does for most people, but thinking "I can eat as much this steak as I want" really helps in not obsessing over food. Plus, the high protein and fat content really does curb your hunger.

Probably something like a raw food diet would have a similar effect, because there's really no need to count portions. Raw food diets seem to require a lot of gadgets that I don't have, though, so I think that'd be more difficult in preparation.

If you are interested in Primal Mark actually just released a 21 day transformation book that will outline everything you need to do to make the switch. I think the book is under $20, could definitely be worth the money if you want to switch.

I like substituting the things you like with a healthier or better tasting alternative:

Ice cream >>> Sorbet, buy it or make your own. Orange juice popsicles? Frozen bananas? Shaved ice machine with fruit juice? Iced decaf with stevia in blender to smooth and thicken?

Potatoes >>> Yams, sweet potatoes

Rice >>> Steel cut oats

Salad dressing >>> Balsamic Vinegar

Orange Pellegrino >>> diet sprite and OJ

Chinese food >>> Stir fry

Dip >>> ground chick peas and lentils paste

Deep fry >>> bake with olive oil drizzle

There really is a wide world of food to explore. Many spices aren't fatttening and some have substantial benefits. Explore without binging. If you like something you try, try to find the recipe and if you don't like the ingredients see if you can modify them to make them healthier, taste better or make the calories per portion manageable. I go on yelp, and see what people are raving about. I check it out at the restaurant once and if I really like it I will track down the recipe on google and try to see if I can make it at home within my food parameters.

I make fajitas the way I like them, chicken tikka masala that is not oily like at the indian restaurant. I simplify and really try to enjoy the ingredients as much as possible.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

thanks laura! is that the dekalb farmer's market? i haven't been yet but i'd like to check it out. i moved near piedmont park fairly recently and went to the farmer's market there a week or so ago. i got some squash which i think will be part of dinner tonight (probably gonna do some chicken and veggies - something simple but yummy). the calorie range i got from sparkpeople.com which they calculated based on my height, weight, and goals. i'm 5ft 4 or 5ft 5 (depending on the day) and i'd like to end up weighing around 125-130. truthfully, i don't really care about my weight...it's more the body composition and overall aesthetics that will tell me if i'm where i want to be. i like to eat so i do tend to be at or above those calorie limits. truth be told, i think numbers are important for weight loss but i also don't think anyone gets fat eating carrots and apples. if i eat 2000 calories of healthy stuff i doubt it will have any negative effect on my weight loss efforts.

i think i'm rambling a bit here but yeah :) i appreciate all the advice!

The 2000 calories thing is not neccessarily true. If you eat healthy yet still gorge yourself, you can and will gain weight. The #1 rule of losing any weight, whether it ends up being muscle or fat, is that you have to expend more energy than you take in. That's why you track calories in the first place no?

Anyway, the situation you described in your first post is one of being a habitual eater. Chances are that when you have free time, after a long day working/at the gym/ doing other stuff, eventually you sit down, get bored while watching tv or a movie or browsing the internet, and reach for something to eat. The best way to keep your mind off the food is to keep it on other stuff. Find a hobby, or only watch tv shows that are reaaaaaaaaally reaally interesting.

Another solution is actually to eat bigger meals. Don't stuff yourself, but if you find yourself getting peckish after dinner, maybe making your dinner a little bigger helps. Get something lean and full of protein that takes a while to digest so your body doesn't get a chance to send the hunger message.

Finally, if you can't cut down the food, you must exercise more. Energy in versus energy out, so you have to eat less or exercise more (or some combination thereof).

Good luck! :)

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

...Anyway, the situation you described in your first post is one of being a habitual eater. Chances are that when you have free time, after a long day working/at the gym/ doing other stuff, eventually you sit down, get bored while watching tv or a movie or browsing the internet, and reach for something to eat. The best way to keep your mind off the food is to keep it on other stuff. Find a hobby, or only watch tv shows that are reaaaaaaaaally reaally interesting.... :)

Usually I agree with most of aj rock says. S/he seems intelligent and knowledgeable. I really appreciate reading his comments. I have a different perspective on the bolded above though. I used to multitask, work, do chores, watch tv, and eat mindlessly throughout the day. Without a plan I believe that you are planning to fail. When you are hungry, or craving something it is really hard to not think about it. I am geussing that's why you make evening trips to the corner grocery store.

I say place your entire focus on food when you are eating but pick and choose your spots. Think about the abundance that we have in this country relative to other places where food (even of inferior quality) is loved and cherished.

Step 1. If you have a food you like, try to engineer it to be as healthy as possible without ruining it in terms of taste and overall appeal.

Step 2. Get some all white plates and feature just the food that you will be enjoying. It has to be a food that you like.

Step 3. Remove all the distractions and enjoy eating that food slowly. Pay attention to taste, texture, temperature, try to make out the ingredients. If you don't like any of the ingredients you taste, think about how to make it better next time.

Step 4. If it was a really satisfying meal, try to burnish an image of it and how healthy you feel after eating it. Keep it like any cherished memory of something you enjoyed.

You may have a reward system like: if I finish this challenge without cheats, absences and make my goals I will reward myself with a trip to Paris. Well, what is that reward? Not the long plane trip, not the delays at the airport, not the rude service at fine restaurants. It is soaking in the architecture, meeting new people, it is the guy at the street market trying to get you to sample $150/100g fois gras and saying things about you when you decline about being an uncultured American, walking though the Louvre and Orsay and soaking in the art. Doing pull ups on a tree branch in the gardens of Versaille before you get arrested.

Why can't you have a small measure of those experiences that you love, that Steve talks about, every day. Find those small things you love, incorporate them into your daily life and make living every day the best day of your life. It's ok to look forward to tomorrow, but live each day like it may be your last and do the things you enjoy today. If healthy makes you happy, be healthy. If exercise makes you happy, exercise. It guess thinking about my friend who died in a bar, leaving behind a mess in his wake made me think that I need to focus on this too.

i don't care what u think of me. unless u think i'm awesome. in which case u're right.

Intro - Workout Log - ABS Log - Fitness Philosophy - Accountability - NERDEE - Weight Maintenance

ETF: the situation I was trying to get at was mindless eating, where you continue to consume snack-type foods without any feedback from your stomach in terms of satiation at all. Like you set up to watch your favourite show, grab a bag of chips or popcorn, and before you know it, 800 calories or 1200 calories are in your stomach and you don't even recall really eating or enjoying them. Sorry, I phrased that wrong the first time.

Why must I put a name on the foods I choose to eat and how I choose to eat them? Rather than tell people that I eat according to someone else's arbitrary rules, I'd rather just tell them, I eat healthy. And no, my diet does not have a name.My daily battle log!

this is definitely good advice. i am trying to learn my own signals and saying to myself "i am not hungry, i'm just bored." i do eat most all of my meals while watching tv, surfing the internet, or driving. i know that's not great but, for the moment, i don't really see it changing. i have been trying to use a smaller fork and eat slower lately so that i savor my food more. i think it's working at least some.

also, aj, i completely agree with you about the 2000 calorie thing. the point i was trying to make is that i don't think anyone (myself included) is overweight because they eat an extra few hundred calories of carrots. i stopped buying low-fat stuff for a similiar reason: i don't think that someone gets overweight because they use regular ranch dressing as opposed to low fat. i know, mathematically it is possible, but i don't really see it being the issue for myself or others.

ebm: actually, I remember watching a BBC doc on calorie consumption. There was an obese woman who swore up and down she ate only 'healthy', she enjoyed fruit salad, whole grains, lean meats...

Can't remember all the details, but essentially, to her a serving of fruit salad consisted of an entire bowl! She was definitely consuming far more than 1/200 calories from fruit.

You're right in that I highly doubt that eating lots of carrots is how you got there in the first place. My only caution is to not mistake healthier foods for less calorie dense foods.

Also, at least for myself, I try to take small steps and build upon my small successes. For example, in my first week, I focus on changing only ONE thing about my diet and then the second week I focus on another thing while continuing with my first week commitment. There's two way you can change: one, dramatically (which usually need a HUGE amount of willpower, and I can't do it, lol); two, change bit by bit. The change may look slow but if you are consistent, like anything, the effects will start to snowball and you will see the difference.

Cheers,

Yoot :D

so, since i started this thread, i thought i'd update a bit. i also talked about this on my challenge thread but this one seems to have more followers so i figured more opinions would be a good thing.

i went for 30 days without candy or ice cream/yogurt. caveats: about 10 m&ms on halloween, i did eat other sweet treats at times. but i actually went for 31 and a half days without. so yeah. pretty proud of myself for this accomplishment. it has shown me that i do in fact have the willpower to say no.

unfortunately, the scale did not improve during this time and, in fact, i gained weight despite reducing my average calories consumed by a pretty substantial amount. again, i was still over what my recommended daily intake is but not as far over. i took this last weekend to eat however i wanted and am starting fresh today. this time (30 days again), i will allow myself one sweet treat a week but stay away from sweets in general throughout the week. i am curious to see if this is harder or easier than the previous challenge. the only exceptions i am making here are a couple birthday parties i am attending soon and thanksgiving. i plan on having some cake at the bday parties and not counting calories at all on thanksgiving. this last weekend was a bit hard emotionally, however, in that i realized that my desire for sugar has not diminished nearly as much as i had hoped. the bag of halloween candy that the bf has been hiding from me was taken out and i went to town. it almost feels a little compulsive which is sad and embarassing to admit to but i think i need to realize where i am if i want to change it. others can know there is something they want just a few feet away and not care. me? i feel like it's calling my name.

so, on the one hand, i can say no. but, on the other hand, once i say yes i have a hard time stopping myself.

curious/nervous/excited to see what this 30 day cycle has in store.