Caolan's Second Step

caolan

I joined NF about 8 weeks ago and completed my first challenge last week.  It was a great experience for me, and I did really well against all of my goals.  Now comes the next step, which I am excited to take as a member of the Rangers.

My four goals for the challenge are:

1. Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day.  I am continuing this goal from the last challenge, because it worked really well for me.  I will do several different types of exercise during the week to keep my muscles guessing -- YAYOG workout, swim laps, ride my bike, hike, karate, etc.  Not all of it will be high intensity -- my body would break down if I tried to do this much high intensity exercise 7 days a week.  +2 DEX, +2 STA
  2. Track all of my meals in MFP every day and finish under my net calorie goal each week.  I have configured MFP for a 750 calorie deficit, just like I did in the last challenge.  I am participating in the 10 weeks, 20 pounds PVP challenge, so this goal will support my PVP.  +2 CON, +2 CHA
  3. Complete at least 4 weeks of the YAYOG PVP challenge.   +4 STR
  4. Process all of my 2014 photos. I am a photographer in my spare time, but I tend to fall behind in doing my post-processing work.  My goal here is to complete processing all of the keepers from 2014.  Although it takes time, photography is a great creative outlet for me, and it helps to make me a much more well-rounded person.  +3 WIS

The first two goals will earn points like this:

6-7 days = 3 points

4-5 days = 2 points

2-3 days = 1 point

The YAYOG goal will earn points like this:

4 days = 3 points

3 days = 2 points

2 days = 1 point

The photography goal will earn points like this each week:

Processed 3+ photo shoots = 3 points

Processed 2 photo shoots = 2 points

Processed 1 photo shoot = 1 point

There are 12 possible points per week, so there are 72 possible points for the challenge.  Here is my grading scale:

"A" for  54+ points

"B" for  42-53 points

"C" for  36-41 points

I have two motivations for my quest.  The first is to help me keep up with my elementary school age kids and make sure I am healthy enough to be fit and active when they have their own kids (many years from now, I hope!).  I also need to set a better example for them about healthy eating and exercise.  The second motivation is to help me get back to martial arts.  I am a black belt and love to both teach and train, but my fitness level gets in the way of my training.  Because of the progress I have made so far, I am planning on returning to training before the end of this 6 week challenge.

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

Solid challenge.  Subbing again to spectate on your awesomeness.

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Guess whose back! Will be checking in!

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] <--Current Challenge

Current Saiyan form -  Super Saiyan 

Here is my check-in for the first 2 days:

Day 1: Sunday

Exercise - I hiked with my family for 80 minutes.

MFP - I tracked today, but I went over by a bit.  My daughter made a couple of homemade cakes, and I was a good daddy, but a bad dieter.   :peaceful:

YAYOG - I plan to try the YAYOG workouts on Tue, Wed, Fri, and Sat.

Photography - I didn't do any post work, but I did get out to take some photos, so I will consider this a success.  I know it is only day 1, but I am going to tweak this goal to be worth a point for either doing my post-processing for a photo shoot or for getting out and shooting.  Either one is good for me.

Day 2: Monday

Exercise - I swam for 20 minutes and walked for 20 minutes.

MFP - I tracked today, and finished right on target.  The difference today is that I ate a bit less of my daughter's excellent cake.

YAYOG - I plan to try the YAYOG workouts on Tue, Wed, Fri, and Sat.

Photography - I did some post work, but did not finish any of my shoots, so no point for today.

On a side note, I kind of like not having a bedtime goal for this challenge, because it means I can post my daily check-in at night.  I am still sticking to my new 10:30 bedtime, though.

• Like 2

Level 4 Ranger

Day 3: Tuesday

Exercise - I walked for 30 minutes and did strength training for 36 minutes. 

MFP - I tracked today and finished right on target.

YAYOG - I did the Week 1, Day 1 YAYOG workout.  This was fun, and left me pleasantly sore throughout the day.  Details are in the YAYOG topic.

Photography - I spent some time processing photos I took in April.  Boy am I far behind!

Day 4: Wednesday

Exercise - I walked for 29 minutes and did strength training for 36 minutes.

MFP - I tracked today and finished right on target.  I am about 80 calories over for the week, which is not really a lot, but I need to finish under a bit tomorrow to be on pace to stay at or below my target for the week.

YAYOG - I did the YAYOG W1, D2 workout today.  My legs are tired, tired, tired.  My back is a bit sore, but not bad.  I'll have to monitor it carefully as I continue with this goal.

Photography - I did more work on my photos, and finished working on a shoot I did back in April.  There are some images I am very happy with in this set.

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger

Oh yea, the YAYOG are pretty intense. Its awesome though!

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Day 5: Thursday

Exercise - Today was my rest day in between YAYOG workouts, so I just walked -- a little over 3 miles in 60 minutes.

MFP - I tracked today and finished 120 calories under for the day, so I am now on plan to finish the week under my calorie target.

YAYOG - Rest and DOMS day today.  I will try W1 D3 tomorrow.

Photography - I am tired, so I won't be doing any photography tonight.

Level 4 Ranger

Lol DOM's day...

My legs where like, awful, at work today. Doing leg day before working about 5-6 hours serving is always fun....

keep on keeping on man!

Day 6: Friday

Exercise - I walked 15 minutes and did a 36 minute YAYOG workout.

MFP - I tracked today and finished on target.

YAYOG - Week 1, Day 3 workout was today. 

Photography - No photography today.

Day 7: Saturday

Exercise - I walked 3.1 miles in 60 minutes and did a YAYOG workout for 36 minutes.

MFP - I tracked today and finished a few calories under, mostly because I did so much exercise.  

YAYOG - Week 1, Day 4 workout was today.  I successfully completed Week 1 today, so I am moving up the PVP ladder!

Photography - I did a little photography work tonight, but did not finish any more shoots.

Level 4 Ranger

Week 1 Wrap-up

Exercise: I got at least 30 minutes on all 7 days. Most days I got closer to 60 minutes. 3 points for this goal.

MFP: I tracked every day and finished the week 84 calories under plan. I also lost 1.8 pounds his week. 3 points for this goal.

YAYOG: I did all 4 of the week 1 workouts and moved up the ladder. 3 points for this goal.

Photography: I finished processing one large shoot and I went out shooting on another day. I started my post work on another event, but did not finish. 2 points for this goal.

Total: 11 points puts me on track for an "A" for this challenge.

Level 4 Ranger

You crushed week one! 

Thanks!  It was surprisingly fun.  I like both the challenge of the work and the variety, not to mention the PVP "competition."

Is there any particular kind of photography you do?

I used to say I did nature photography, but I have branched out a bit more in the last few years thanks to some photography friends with more eclectic tastes.  The shoot I was working on last night was of old equipment and buildings in a small industrial town that is long past its prime.  The one I worked on a few days ago was a sunrise shoot of the DC cherry blossoms.

Level 4 Ranger

Day 8: Sunday

Exercise - I rode my bike 10.5 miles in 46 minutes and took a 10 minute swim (mostly just playing in the water).

MFP - I tracked today and finished under target by ~150.

YAYOG - Week 2 starts on Tuesday. 

Photography - I went out shooting in the early afternoon, and finished processing shots from a day back in April before bed.

Day 9: Monday

Exercise - Crazy exercise today - 20 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of lap swimming, and an hour of martial arts.  It felt really good to work on my forms for the first time in a few months, and my wight loss has definitely helped.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 700 calories under because I did so much exercise.  

YAYOG - Week 2 starts tomorrow morning.

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger

Day 8: Sunday

Exercise - I rode my bike 10.5 miles in 46 minutes and took a 10 minute swim (mostly just playing in the water).

MFP - I tracked today and finished under target by ~150.

YAYOG - Week 2 starts on Tuesday. 

Photography - I went out shooting in the early afternoon, and finished processing shots from a day back in April before bed.

Day 9: Monday

Exercise - Crazy exercise today - 20 minutes of walking, 20 minutes of lap swimming, and an hour of martial arts.  It felt really good to work on my forms for the first time in a few months, and my wight loss has definitely helped.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 700 calories under because I did so much exercise.  

YAYOG - Week 2 starts tomorrow morning.

thanks for the update. Sounds like today was fantastic. 

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Day 10: Tuesday

Exercise - I walked for 22 minutes and did a 36 minute YAYOG workout.00

MFP - I tracked today and finished right on target.

YAYOG - I did the first week 2 YAYOG workout today (arms).  I was able to do more of each exercise than last week, so I am seeing progress. This will also count as one of my Rangers guild week 2 mini-challenge "pull" workouts because I did more than 50 "pull me ups" underneath my dining room table.

Day 11: Wednesday

Exercise - I walked for 25 minutes and did another YAYOG workout.  I also climbed 8 flights of steps as part of my late participation in the Rangers guild week 1 mini-challenge.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 200 calories under because I made really good choices throughout the day.  I am finding that the eating habits I started in the last challenge are really starting to become habits.  The choices that were hard in the first few weeks are coming more naturally to me now.  

YAYOG - I did the second week 2 YAYOG workout (legs) today.  I increased all of my reps and was very tired by the end.

Photography - I am working on some photos tonight, buy will probably not finish an entire shoot today.

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger

Great job so far.  You killed it week 1 and seem to be doing even better on week 2. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

I am a bit behind posting.  Here are the last few days:

Day 12: Thursday

Exercise - Today was my "rest" day in between strength training workouts.  I walked 2.7 miles in 40 minutes today.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 100 calories over for the day.  

YAYOG - Rest day today, so no YAYOG.

Photography - I continued working on photos tonight, but changed my focus to some underwater images I took this summer.  

Day 13: Friday

Exercise - I walked for 25 minutes and did a 36 minute strength training workout.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 300 calories over my target for the day.  This doesn't sound good, but I was well ahead of plan for the week, and it did it deliberately because the whole family really wanted deep dish pizza for dinner.  

YAYOG - I did the third week 2 YAYOG workout (arms) today.  I increased all of my reps, but was feeling really good at the end.

Day 14: Saturday

Exercise - I walked for 25 minutes and did a 36 minute strength training workout.

MFP - I tracked today and finished about 100 calories under plan.  

YAYOG - I did the final week 2 YAYOG workout (legs) today.  I increased all of my reps, and have now moved up the ladder.

Photography - I took some photos today.

Level 4 Ranger

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines