Teirin finds some balance

Teirin

I’ve noticed a consistent problem with balance in workouts in particular and a bit in general life.  I’m looking at the general aspects of my life and breaking them down into components that I need to work on. 

Edit:  having joked about it in Cheechoe's thread, I have now realized that my challenge needs Ponies. I will now giggle as you all cringe in horror.   

Physical Components - defense, strength, flexibility, endurance, body control, speed

Find a training balance that allows me to work on all of those to some extent.  I’m not going to be awesome at all of them, but I’d like to be generally competent.  Grading is going to be x/5 each week with a point for each different activity.

• Judo
  • Striking practice
  • Yoga/mobility work (will include general mobility exercises in here)
  • Strength training
  • Running/sprints
  • Other - bonus point

mlfw1805-1323888098.gif

Mental/Spiritual Components - Philosophy, meditation, sleep, chores, relaxation.  Grading x/5 per week with a pass/fail assessment on each of the below items

• Meditate daily
  • Prioritize sleep ahead of finishing that chore.  
  • Read up on systems of philosophy and figure out what I like
  • Do chores in smaller chunks instead of one big whirlwind
  • Relax/Read/watch stuff/play video games

800px-Applejack_sleeping_S02E12.png

Intellectual Component - Learn things to keep my brain from getting stagnant and discuss these things with friends (if they’re interested). Study at least an hour per week on whatever topic is interesting at the moment.  Grading x/6

List provided for inspiration:  astronomy, math (triple integrals in particular), poetry, archaeology, psychology, thermodynamics refresher, history, anatomy, operations management.

bookworm12.jpg

Be a better Judo instructor for the kids

Try to ensure that they leave smiling each week. Grading x/9

• Read the LTAD materials
  • Review the coaching class materials
  • Watch the 101 Judo Games DVD and take notes on some good games
  • Have a plan for each session (6)

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic_19219

• Like 6

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

List provided for inspiration:  astronomy, math (triple integrals in particular), poetry, archaeology, psychology, thermodynamics refresher, history, anatomy, operations management.

i always like talking about psychology - and if you ever feel like talking sex and gender politics im your girl ;)

huge challenge for you this time, gonna be following along to see you kick all the ass! good luck yo

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I got you on humanities, but you'll need a different nerd for the math/sci stuff.

Get ready to rock!

i always like talking about psychology - and if you ever feel like talking sex and gender politics im your girl ;)

huge challenge for you this time, gonna be following along to see you kick all the ass! good luck yo

Thanks!  I may post some summaries of my readings here too.

My last few challenges were kind of weak so I decided to go bigger this challenge.  Besides Judo restarted this week and I am feeling good.  We worked ourselves stupid at class tonight and my gi is currently hanging up to dry.  As it should be.  Now off to bed.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

If you ever go by way of philosophy or mythology, I'm always happy to talk anybody to sleep, though I very much hope it doesn't end up like Argus and Hermes.

"I have always been of the opinion that unpopularity earned by doing what is right is not unpopularity at all, but glory" - Cicero

"The deepest feeling always shows itself in silence." - Marianne Moore

"Praise be to the Lord my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle." - Psalm 144:1-2

"You must understand, young hobbit, it takes a very long time to say anything in Old Entish. And we never say anything unless it is worth taking a long time to say."- Tree Beard

Level 3 Barbarian (True Neutral, Frighteningly ISTP)

The Heart of an Assassin, The Mind of a Monk

STR 4 | DEX 3.5 | STA 4 | WIS/INT 2 | CHA 2

Special Event:

N/A

Daily Battle Log  1

Great goals! I'm all for more working out! Also, if I may, I can offer you a piece of advice for teaching children: the more excited you are, the more excited they are. They typically will reflect what you give them. If they happen to be uninterested, perhaps you yourself are uninterested. If they seem to be dragging, you may need to look and see if you yourself are dragging. I always find it a good comparison, when I have bad days, I teach bad classes, and when I have good days I teach good classes. Anyways, hope that helps!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Wonderful goals...

let me make sure I understand...you're studying because you want to? not because you have to? while I look forward to finishing my last two classes and taking a break from it? 

Yay.gif

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

If you ever go by way of philosophy or mythology, I'm always happy to talk anybody to sleep, though I very much hope it doesn't end up like Argus and Hermes.

Hey there! 

Great challenge, especially the last part.

I have to do some hard maths and physics for my challenge, so I've got you covered on those two. Shoot me a PM when you need my assistance!

Thanks!  I will keep your offers in mind.

Looks like you're doing all the things!  The key is, as stated, finding that balance.

I've tried to enforce balance the last few challenges and it hasn't worked.  This is the next approach.

Great goals! I'm all for more working out! Also, if I may, I can offer you a piece of advice for teaching children: the more excited you are, the more excited they are. They typically will reflect what you give them. If they happen to be uninterested, perhaps you yourself are uninterested. If they seem to be dragging, you may need to look and see if you yourself are dragging. I always find it a good comparison, when I have bad days, I teach bad classes, and when I have good days I teach good classes. Anyways, hope that helps!

Thanks!  I've been teaching the kids for a number of years but on a much more limited basis than you do.

That goal came after teaching the first kids class of the semester last night.  I dropped the ball pretty badly though they still left smiling.  I was excited but didn't register how much time was being spent talking and demonstrating instead of moving.  The LTAD models in use here indicate that especially the younger ones should be learning movement skills more than techniques.  I think that underestimates them quite a bit but I'm going to give it a shot.

Wonderful goals...

let me make sure I understand...you're studying because you want to? not because you have to? while I look forward to finishing my last two classes and taking a break from it? 

Yay.gif

I graduated from university nine years ago, the aversion has had a chance to wear off.  I see your point though.  I would have said the same thing then. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Mental/Spiritual Components - Philosophy, meditation, sleep, chores, relaxation.  Grading x/5 per week with a pass/fail assessment on each of the below items

• Meditate daily
  • Prioritize sleep ahead of finishing that chore.  
  • Read up on systems of philosophy and figure out what I like
  • Do chores in smaller chunks instead of one big whirlwind
  • Relax/Read/watch stuff/play video games

Intellectual Component - Learn things to keep my brain from getting stagnant and discuss these things with friends (if they’re interested). Study at least an hour per week on whatever topic is interesting at the moment.  Grading x/6

I LOVE THESE GOALS.

I need to try something like the mental one at some point, my schedule is becoming so cramped I need to schedule relaxation time in.

I got you on humanities, but you'll need a different nerd for the math/sci stuff.

I also can help on humanities a bit, and point you in some directions for the sciencey stuff.  Cheechoe would be a good person to pester about the anatomy and physiology stuff. (I need to start reading my replica copy of an old Gray's Anatomy, actually...)

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

This is an awesome challenge, and I want it.  (I'm sadly having to go far the other direction this challenge, because my head is having a bit of a "DO ALL THE THINGS?" problem.  So I may have to go a lot slower before I get to this stage.)

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Awesome.  You are all cool people for liking Ponies.

Physical balance: 2 different activities

Judo - decent class, not as awesome as Thursday

Warmup, I snuck in the Forest flow before others got on the mat and introduced the others to a few new stretches

Bit of conditioning - lots of pushups, introduced rolling pistol squats

Ukemi

Seoi Otoshi practice

Newaza randori

lots of Uchi komis - my turn ins last challenge ARE paying off.  My O Uchi Gari is getting strong.

Max throws in a minute on the crashmat

Yoga

Bit of extra stretching

Crow pose

Spinal wave practice - I'm terrible at this.  MOAR PRACTICE.

Ocean

Wind

Seesaw

Diving Dolphin

Forest - balance was crap today

Spider monkey - work on several techniques

Mental balance:

Meditating daily so far

Finished Essentialism (which I consider philosophy) - excellent book, I put it down for a while and should not have.  Oops, finished this Sunday, doesn't count.

Coursera's Intro to philosophy started yesterday and I'm going to try to keep up with it

Have been sorting out the chores a few at a time in the evening.

Bedtime by 12:30 the last few nights, aiming for midnight tonight

Not much relaxation time so far.  Busy few nights.

Intellectual - no real study yet but I'm spending at least a bit of time on Brilliant.org each day (Thanks SugarRay!).

Instructing:  Danny and I have a rough plan for reworking the kids class on Thursday, just need to pick out some techniques and games.

Good start.  All is well.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Instructing:  Danny and I have a rough plan for reworking the kids class on Thursday, just need to pick out some techniques and games.

It's always good to be prepped before hand. I see a lot of instructors say they're going to "wing it", and just make something up, and their classes typically fall apart.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines