Teirin finds some balance

Teirin

I love the intellectual component of your challenge. I have a co-worker who is truly a genius inventor type but he can't work Google. So he comes up with all these question about chemistry and physics and I look them up online. Right now we're learning about Faraday's law and Lenz' law because he wants to build his own generator. Fascinating stuff. I have trouble paying attention in class but I love working on his projects with him. 

joedog, level 15 Monk

Current Challenge

Your time management seriously impresses me.

It's been a good few days for it.  That is not always the case.

It's always good to be prepped before hand. I see a lot of instructors say they're going to "wing it", and just make something up, and their classes typically fall apart.

Yeah, we had a general class structure and tended to wing it within those confines.  It's not working.  Time to change the general structure.  OTOH, can't be too rigid either.  Kids don't do well with overly detailed/timed plans.

That's the way. Get it done. You may not see the benefits in the moment, but they come.

Cheers.

I love the intellectual component of your challenge. I have a co-worker who is truly a genius inventor type but he can't work Google. So he comes up with all these question about chemistry and physics and I look them up online. Right now we're learning about Faraday's law and Lenz' law because he wants to build his own generator. Fascinating stuff. I have trouble paying attention in class but I love working on his projects with him. 

Nice partnership!  Looks very beneficial for both of you, and a lot of fun.

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

All the yoga you put in to your challenges is awesome. Do you notice how much of an impact it has on your judo?

Yes.  Directly in the form of increased strength, balance and flexibility (my fav escape from kesa gatame involves swinging a leg up and hooking my opponent's head) and indirectly in that it seems to be helping with recovery in general and keeps my temperamental shoulders a bit happier.

Yay for Judo coaching!!

Yep, missed my Judo kids over the summer.

Today was largely spent updating procedure documents and handling paperwork.  This results in my brain sort of shutting down after work.  I parked in front of the computer and played with simple math problems on brilliant and read NF until I could summon up the will to do much of anything else.  I am counting that as relaxing time today. 

I did get to listen to the first few eps of the Philosophize This podcast (Kishi's rec?) while I was crunching through paperwork and walking.  Pretty good so far.  It oddly reminded me to finish the Modern Scholar audiobook The Anglo Saxon World.  Good stuff by a great prof.  Loaded it onto my phone for transit listening.

Snuck in a short workout in between chores and cooking this evening: I haven't decided if I'm going to count striking practice as separate from Judo.  They're both under the self defense sphere. 

100 Jumping jacks

30 burpees

3x25 ea front punches

25 ea front snap kicks

25 ea leg lift exercise

25 ea rising blocks

25 ea downward blocks

25 ea side thrust kicks

Stretching

Roasted some green beans with a little olive oil, black pepper, and cumin. Those and a few hard boiled eggs look like pre-bed snack.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

That food sounds super tasty. I should boil up some eggs at some point.

Also, that podcast might have been my rec, but only 'cuz Shogun recc'd it to me. It's good stuff. Although, he cuts the music eventually because the philosophers think it detracts, and I'm like, "oh, come on, dude. Learning totally friggin' rocks!" :(

Snuck in a short workout in between chores and cooking this evening: I haven't decided if I'm going to count striking practice as separate from Judo.  They're both under the self defense sphere. 

100 Jumping jacks

30 burpees

3x25 ea front punches

25 ea front snap kicks

25 ea leg lift exercise

25 ea rising blocks

25 ea downward blocks

25 ea side thrust kicks

Stretching

Short workout????  That would be a really long workout for me!

Keep up the awesomeness!

Doug

In search of the ever elusive side thrust kick....

Student of Karate and Iaido

The food sounds yummy, and great job in sneaking exercises in. That could be tricky!

Also, that podcast might have been my rec, but only 'cuz Shogun recc'd it to me. It's good stuff. Although, he cuts the music eventually because the philosophers think it detracts, and I'm like, "oh, come on, dude. Learning totally friggin' rocks!" :(

It was good, needed more Cumin.

Still good :-)  Awww, I like his music!  You should have seen the look on my face when he started comparing Impedicles to Captain Planet.  Did I just hear what I think I heard?  ... yes.

Keep up the awesomeness!

Compared to a class, it's short? 

The food sounds yummy, and great job in sneaking exercises in. That could be tricky!

Thanks!  It is sometimes.

Because Ponies.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Physical:  Double Judo night with the kids and the adults.  It was a good class except for taking a (light) knee to the head in ground work.  Dragged off the mat tired and very very hungry.  Going to stretch again and maybe foam roll before bed.

Mental:  Meditation is still going nightly, as is tidying/doing the dishes before bed.  Going to blow an hour or so before bed starting Gurren Lagann, as promised.  Need sleep, badly.

Intellectual - not so much today.  This weekend, promise.

Instructor: had a plan tonight!  It went well, Sensei approved, the kids have fun, there was minimal downtime between activities.  Great night.  We've got a few discipline problems to handle, but that's normal.  There's a bunch of new kids in class.  Three of them are similar heights, builds, hair and eye colour and I'm having a rough time recognizing which one is which.  It's only the second night though and they're cutting me some slack.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Tried the first ep of Gurren Lagann last night.  It was hilarious and I will be continuing with it.  Kamina is cool. 

Today is likely to be a rest day with potentially some extra walking or a bit of yoga.  I was considering the matter of whether or not to keep striking practice separate from Judo and I think I will.  Judo eats up two evenings/week so doing any striking is extra.  I will update the target to five different activities/week.

I started reading the Judo LTAD (Long Term Athlete Development) documents for the U7 age group (4 to 6 years old).  I have some mixed feelings on it so far.  I'm only in the opening pages though so this should be taken with a salt shaker.

The good:

• Promoting a variety of activities so they have a broad physical literacy base, including encouraging kids to do other activities like ice skating and swimming for the things they can't get from Judo
  • Ensuring that basics like agility, flexibility, balance, coordination, and speed are the primary parts of the program (part of the above point)
  • Making sure that it's fun so they enjoy it and keep coming out
  • Not expecting adult capabilities/attention span out of small children

The bad:

• Expecting kids to get 30 to 60 min of structured exercise each day in addition to unstructured play - rather hard on parents?  School PE class hopefully counts for this.
  • In direct contradiction to the above point, Judo only once per week. We used to run two kids classes/week and the kids were fine with it*
  • Assuming that the kids can't learn good technique at that age is crap.  Some of the kids don't have as much attention span for it, true, but they do learn.  Most of the kids pick it up with no problem.  I think this one is underestimating them badly.

*We used to run two kids classes per week but cut down to one both to conform to the other clubs around and because we do have very limited instructors and we were burning out running 6 classes per week (2 kids, 2 juveniles, 2 adults).  So the point is fairly academic for us but the kids CAN do it.

Nice! Good to see that the plan went well. I guess that's what they call a plan coming together.

Kind of a rare feeling :-)  My plans usually fall apart fairly quickly.

All the things! I'm going to be googling a lot of things following your thread.

I can chat operations management. Technically I'm on projects, but there's overlap! =)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Oh?  Is there anything I can be more clear/specific/link stuff on so googling is less required?

May take you up on that.  My degree is Chemistry.  I kind of fell into ops management and some accounting stuff with some interest in adding project management at some point.  Talking to someone with experience and background would be great.  I am auditing this course on EdX.org starting Sept 30th (work permitting).  It'll hopefully help.  We're a small company, there's a lot of wearing multiple hats around here.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Boiled eggs are eggcellent.

Sorry.

But seriously.  One of my major go-to snack foods.  I boil a dozen on Sunday and eat them the rest of the week.  You can also then make a really tasty sweet potato salad. >.> <.<

Seriously.  She and Kishi have battles in my brain for the "Who can claim the longest workout is short" title.

• Like 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Boiled eggs are eggcellent.

Sorry.

But seriously.  One of my major go-to snack foods.  I boil a dozen on Sunday and eat them the rest of the week.  You can also then make a really tasty sweet potato salad. >.> <.<

Seriously.  She and Kishi have battles in my brain for the "Who can claim the longest workout is short" title.

You're not sorry but that's ok.  Eggs are great snacks.

Have you SEEN what he considers a "rest day"?  Also, what exactly would you describe your extensive workout regime as?  Excepting times of knee injury.....

That workout only took me 20 or so minutes + stretching.  It counts as short to me.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Just looked up Brilliant.com. It's really neat, hopefully I can remember to do some of it to practice for the GRE.

Great goals, as always. I like the Intellectual Component, unfortunately I can't help with anything you listed.

Ghoul Monk

Level 6

Push ups: Yellow Belt

Just looked up Brilliant.com. It's really neat, hopefully I can remember to do some of it to practice for the GRE.

Great goals, as always. I like the Intellectual Component, unfortunately I can't help with anything you listed.

SugarRay suggested it :-)

Workout:

100 Jumping jacks

30 burpees

3 sets:

50 Mountain climbers

2/1.5/1.5 Pullups

5ea rolling pistol squats

5 hanging leg raises

10 Pushups

3ea tripod bridge transitions

Striking practice:

3x25 ea front punches

25 ea front snap kick

25 ea rising block

25 ea leg lift exercise

25 ea downward block

25 ea back kick

Stretching

Meditation

I missed meditation that last few nights, am NOT missing it today.  The chores are paying off.  I have a lot less to catch up on today than usual.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Sprints today:  I have no exact numbers on the distance but it was a bit longer than a play park baseball field (probably not full-sized?).  I picked a few trees to use as start and end points.  The plan was 20s sprinting/20s rest. 

Warmup: stretches, bw squats, and jogging over to the park

10 sprints 18-25s sprinting or running, ~20s rest. 

I lack endurance and slowed down quite noticeably in later sprints.

It's been a nice weekend.  Not needing to spend all of yesterday morning and afternoon on chores and errands meant I could hang out in the afternoon and cook.  I like making lots of food :peaceful:

Plans for the afternoon include Final Fantasy and reading several political platforms.  The provincial election is tomorrow and I haven't decided who to vote for yet.  Several parties are looking varying degrees of reasonable.

There's a survey for representation/diversity in video games for anyone interested: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/137447-Do-Consumers-Want-More-Women-in-Video-Games

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Aw, yeah. Let's go! I'm going to be doing a lot of sprinting this next couple weeks, so I'm all excited whenever I see someone doing it.

I need to do more :-(  Yell at me if I'm not.

hells yeh sprints! nice work dude :D

also which final fantasy are you playing?

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Oh?  Is there anything I can be more clear/specific/link stuff on so googling is less required?

May take you up on that.  My degree is Chemistry.  I kind of fell into ops management and some accounting stuff with some interest in adding project management at some point.  Talking to someone with experience and background would be great.  I am auditing this course on EdX.org starting Sept 30th (work permitting).  It'll hopefully help.  We're a small company, there's a lot of wearing multiple hats around here.

As a newbie monk, all of the more veteran monks use a lot of terminology I'm not familiar with. You're also looking at a lot of intriguing topics this challenge - much googling for me. =D  I read new posts on my phone during the week, but I try to remember to revisit things when I have time at home.

Super awesome course link; I might be auditing it along with you (also work permitting). I'm trying to convince potential employers my skillset would complement an operations position nicely, and supply chain is one of the things I've been applying for. I fell into what I'm doing now too - I was in school to be a biology teacher. Life is funny that way. I really enjoy project management in general, but it does tend to be very stressful. Maybe that's just hospitality design, though. The industry seems to be either full steam ahead or completely stagnant.

Absidey

LEVEL12

STR11 DEX13 STA20

CON29 WIS17 CHA11

Fear is the mind-killer.

Main Goal: Lose 20 Hip/Waist inches

95%
95%

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines