Teirin finds some balance

Teirin

YES.  Some days, when the instructor asks me how I'm feeling before class, I'll tell him it's a day to "focus on the inner work."  He laughs now, because he knows that's my code for not feeling quite up to snuff physically.  I'll still do my best and be fully committed, but my best is not always the same from day to day. 

Hope the people-ing goes well for you today, and that your rest is as glorious as you need it to be.  :)

Yep, though it turned out to be a good hard workout night anyway.

It did and I expect that I will sleep like the dead.

this is why sick days exist! ugh, coworkers coming in sick "cos work just has to get done" is like my biggest pet peeve. no the company isnt gonna fall apart with out you, just take a day and come in when your less contagious :|

how did the double judo go?

Yeah, I know. 

It was *awesome*

Behave yourself, badly if necessary.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

We'll see how this year goes.  I'm not sure I deserve it. I don't compete though I'm kind of thinking about it again.  I don't do enough tachi waza randori (stand up fighting) and we really don't spend much time on kata (why I was all excited about the summer of kata that didn't happen).  Someone came back to the club who's a good match for me in terms of size/weight/strength so I'm looking forward to more randori with her.  She's a green belt and more rawr than technique but we'll work well together.

The president also mentioned an upcoming camp that is going to be all female.  That's new and kind of interesting.  I'm a big fan of training with the guys (good thing, the last few years I didn't have anyone but guys to train with) but it means that I don't really have an accurate idea of how I'd fight with someone more my size and level.  So the camp could be neat.  Depends on the travel involved. 

Slept very well and woke up feeling great this morning.  I love the morning after a really good workout.  Sleeping well also means that I got up earlier and I should get home earlier and I *should* have time for a brief workout before going out this evening.  Sprints or another kicking session or maybe some yoga.  Or something will go wrong at work and I'll need to stay late. 

Edit.  GMB has a new website.  Looking spiffy.  This is so true EXCEPT FOR US.  Sorry, still a little hyper.

Movement-Skill-Development.png

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

We'll see how this year goes.  I'm not sure I deserve it. I don't compete though I'm kind of thinking about it again.  I don't do enough tachi waza randori (stand up fighting) and we really don't spend much time on kata (why I was all excited about the summer of kata that didn't happen).  Someone came back to the club who's a good match for me in terms of size/weight/strength so I'm looking forward to more randori with her.  She's a green belt and more rawr than technique but we'll work well together.

The president also mentioned an upcoming camp that is going to be all female.  That's new and kind of interesting.  I'm a big fan of training with the guys (good thing, the last few years I didn't have anyone but guys to train with) but it means that I don't really have an accurate idea of how I'd fight with someone more my size and level.  So the camp could be neat.  Depends on the travel involved. 

Slept very well and woke up feeling great this morning.  I love the morning after a really good workout.  Sleeping well also means that I got up earlier and I should get home earlier and I *should* have time for a brief workout before going out this evening.  Sprints or another kicking session or maybe some yoga.  Or something will go wrong at work and I'll need to stay late. 

Edit.  GMB has a new website.  Looking spiffy.  This is so true EXCEPT FOR US.  Sorry, still a little hyper.

Wait a second, what makes you think your own assessment has anything to do with your rank? I have no idea what the judo criteria are for shodan. In aikido a person has to know the repertoire of basic techniques. That gives one the basis to start really learning the art. People have this funny idea that a black belt means you are good at it. Not at all. It means you are serious about learning it. 

True, you have some things to work on. Discuss them with your sensei and the senior students. I'll bet they will be willing to help you. I see that kind of 1:1 tutoring happening all the time at our Sunday open mat.

The camp sounds like a lot of fun. I always find it easier to practice with people close to my size. Networking with people from other dojos is fun too. Plus camp!

Yay for a good night of sleep!

So true. I read that and thought "gee, I spend a several hours a week learning new physical skills".

Have a great weekend! 

• Like 1

Level 63  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

Thanks for a kick in the ass when potentially needed :-)  I'm afraid I need to answer it with a wall of text.

The process to get my Shodan is sufficiently involved that if I don't really feel that I deserve it, I won't go through with it.   It is expected that you spend a year working on getting that belt.  Attending every possible clinic and event, preferably competing a lot, and generally being very very active in the local Judo community.  This means travel time, money spent on events, and a lot more practice time with just me and my partner (who would also be going for it) instead of participating in the standard classes.  The travel etc would also end up affecting my work to some extent.

In order to get my Shodan:

• I need to have sufficient time as an Ikkyu - done, probably a while ago since I graded to Ikkyu in Jan 2011
  • Have amassed X number of points, Y of which have to be technical points - no idea, have never tried to tally my points.  Points come from a variety of things: each year in grade, holding a formal position within the club, helping out at tournaments, instructing for a minimum # hours/year (if you have the NCCP level 1), competing in tournaments, wining matches in tournaments, attending clinics/training events, etc.  The last four count as technical points.  I almost certainly do not have enough technical points to grade.  I downloaded the forms but they do not have the required totals listed.
  • Know the first three sets of Nage No Kata - needs refinement but it was good enough to pass just after I graded to Ikkyu
  • Know all of the techniques in the basic Gokyu plus the supplementary techniques and be able to do anything requested - I'm pretty good on this one but a number of techniques could use refinement again.
  • Go before the Provincial Grading Board OR go to a Kata clinic - The grading board is more formal and the kata clinic is effectively a mass grading unless it's changed since the last one I attended.  One or the other happens once per year here generally in June.  The grading board is involved either way.
  • Generally be known in the Provincial Judo community (unofficial but true) - not sure about this.  I don't get out very often (especially since I don't travel well) but we're generally known to the community in NB and they've seen me coaching our kids at local tournaments though they may or may not know who I am. 

My lack of tournament participation is fairly significant because the grading board would not necessarily know me well enough to approve a grading.  This means that I need to have that much better technique to show clearly that I am worth grading.  Also, no shaming Sensei.

I *am* the senior student until Heidi (hopefully) comes back.  My main training partner and I are trying to work on our deficiencies but we don't get much time to do so.  That was the idea behind summer brown belt classes.  They just didn't work out.  We don't have regular open mat time.  Open mat time = nobody else could make it to regular class and the two of us work on whatever we want.  There are up- and down-sides to a smaller club. 

Camps and clinics are fun. Lots of neat people and things to learn.  I try to get out to the ones that don't involve staying overnight.  Weekend clinics (or non-Judo events) that involve staying somewhere else overnight haven't really gone well in the past.  I don't sleep more than an hour-ish per night, so don't participate completely, and it also screws up my following work week since I'm exhausted and didn't get any of my normal weekend stuff done.  It may go better now that they've mostly changed events so they aren't Friday evening + Saturday + Sunday.  Now they tend to be Saturday + Sunday, ending by 5 pm.  It helps.

We are called the Rebellion for a reason :-)

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Good luck with your test. I know you would do well with all the discipline you have shown here!

• Like 1

So this is currently me:

29382__safe_rainbow+dash_fluttershy_anim

Except actually sick (she was faking).  Between the two sick guys at work and the guy who showed up to Judo and announced that he was sick AFTER grappling with everyone, this was somewhat inevitable.  It's in the early stages right now (headache, sore throat, feeling generally crappy) but I will probably be a snot monster at some point soonish.  If I manage to get rid of it before getting seriously sick I will be quite pleased.  Am attempting to not pass it on by working from home.  Gotta love a VPN connection.

Friday - deliberate rest day.  Got SFA done except relax and meditate. 

Saturday - inadvertent rest day.  Meant to exercise, sunk further into couch.  I did get my stretching and meditation sessions in. 

I did get the Logistics class Week 0 stuff completed. EdX site tutorials and the spreadsheet basics.  They recommend MS Office or Libre Office but it looks like my home Open Office installation *should* be fine for when I'm working at home.  I have MS office at work.

Sunday - sickness sets in.  I did a hatha yoga class off doyogawithme.com so I did something yesterday (plus stretching and meditation).

I also did week 2 of the Philosophy course and started week 3.  Almost caught up on that.

We also kicked ass in FF yesterday, got a bunch of stuff done.  Yay!

Week 3 summary:

Physical balance -

• 1 Judo classes - but it was a really good one
  • 1 striking practices - also quite good
  • 1 yoga practice
  • 0 strength training session - just didn't do it Saturday
  • 0 sprint session - I was lazy and it rained all weekend

= 3/5 points meh week.

Mental balance -

• Meditate daily - 5/7 days with two misses
  • Prioritize sleep ahead of finishing that chore -not great, fail
  • Read up on systems of philosophy and figure out what I like - week 2, started 3 of the course and more time talking with a friend about it.
  • Do chores in smaller chunks instead of one big whirlwind - seems so, I only needed to do some dishes on Saturday.
  • Relax/Read/watch stuff/play video games - Took at least a bit of time almost every day.

= 4/5 points, generally a good week.

Intellectual balance -

Listened to the next two hours of the Anglo Saxon World course.

Week 0 of the Logistics course.  I did learn some from that as well. 

Meh, sort of pass.  Not a great week for this.

Be a better Instructor

Had a plan for class but not enough of one.  Half point.  (2.5/6)

Found my coaching course materials and the hard copies of the U7 and U9 LTAD books.  Did not actually read any more of them though.

Also sort of pass.

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Boo sickness!  Feel better soon! (I miss being able to do work from home.  My last job I got a lap top that I could take home and do my data analysis/reports/paper research on with no issues, so if I was sick-but-not-dead I didn't have to lose any productivity.  This new job I don't have that luxury...*sadface*)

The process to get my Shodan is sufficiently involved that if I don't really feel that I deserve it, I won't go through with it.   It is expected that you spend a year working on getting that belt.  Attending every possible clinic and event, preferably competing a lot, and generally being very very active in the local Judo community.  This means travel time, money spent on events, and a lot more practice time with just me and my partner (who would also be going for it) instead of participating in the standard classes.  The travel etc would also end up affecting my work to some extent.

In order to get my Shodan:

• I need to have sufficient time as an Ikkyu - done, probably a while ago since I graded to Ikkyu in Jan 2011
  • Have amassed X number of points, Y of which have to be technical points - no idea, have never tried to tally my points.  Points come from a variety of things: each year in grade, holding a formal position within the club, helping out at tournaments, instructing for a minimum # hours/year (if you have the NCCP level 1), competing in tournaments, wining matches in tournaments, attending clinics/training events, etc.  The last four count as technical points.  I almost certainly do not have enough technical points to grade.  I downloaded the forms but they do not have the required totals listed.
  • Know the first three sets of Nage No Kata - needs refinement but it was good enough to pass just after I graded to Ikkyu
  • Know all of the techniques in the basic Gokyu plus the supplementary techniques and be able to do anything requested - I'm pretty good on this one but a number of techniques could use refinement again.
  • Go before the Provincial Grading Board OR go to a Kata clinic - The grading board is more formal and the kata clinic is effectively a mass grading unless it's changed since the last one I attended.  One or the other happens once per year here generally in June.  The grading board is involved either way.
  • Generally be known in the Provincial Judo community (unofficial but true) - not sure about this.  I don't get out very often (especially since I don't travel well) but we're generally known to the community in NB and they've seen me coaching our kids at local tournaments though they may or may not know who I am. 

My lack of tournament participation is fairly significant because the grading board would not necessarily know me well enough to approve a grading.  This means that I need to have that much better technique to show clearly that I am worth grading.  Also, no shaming Sensei.

That.... is a lot of stuff for a shodan.  A lot more, I feel, than we need for aikido.  At my dojo I think we just need to have attended a seminar or two, plus know the basics, like Mistr said.  I also know my dojo is weird because our students test 'at home' instead of at some distant seminar.  Though, I've been getting the jist that it's due to politics.

I'd kind of mimic the same things Mistr said, but I totally hear you on the "but I want to be better" mentality.  I've held off my own testings a few time because, though several instructors and senior students said I was fine, I wanted to feel more comfortable and polished with the techniques than I did.  On one hand, I feel like it made the test look prettier, but for that bit of vanity not much changed when I got the rank, you know?  Trade offs, I suppose.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Wait a second, what makes you think your own assessment has anything to do with your rank? I have no idea what the judo criteria are for shodan. In aikido a person has to know the repertoire of basic techniques. That gives one the basis to start really learning the art. People have this funny idea that a black belt means you are good at it. Not at all. It means you are serious about learning it. 

Oooh, I love that. Thanks.

Get well soon, Teirin! And great work last week.

• Like 1

I kicked so much ass tonight.  It turns out that I just needed to leave work today and I was pretty bouncy by the time the kids class started.  That went reasonably well.  Not the best nor the worst class.  Had a plan so this week was covered.   I should have planned another game or two though so it could have been better.

There's a new best motivator for the adults class.  The new President and the new Executive Director for our provincial Judo association joined us for class tonight.  There would be no shaming Sensei by wussing out of ANYTHING.  It was an awesome class and we were revolting by the time it ended.  Lots of conditioning, lots of newaza randori, lots of moving uchikomis, and some sumo at the end since we had someone new to Judo with us.  We finished up with some meditation and putting the mats away.  One of the big guys left a puddle on the mats where he'd been lying down for meditation.  Lots of sweat everywhere.

I am now the kind of hungry that can only be satisfied by a giant bowl of rice, salmon, and spinach with some soya sauce and lots of pepper.  So good.

I have also been officially hassled about when I'm going for my Shodan and the paperwork on the level 1 NCCP coaching (Dojo Assistant) is finally going to go through.

Now I'm tired and going to bed.

WOW. Sounds amazing! :) I love classes like this.

So...have you decided if you are going to this camp? It looks awesome!

Sorry you aren't feeling well. :(  *sends e-chicken soup* Hope you get better soon!

Boo sickness!  Feel better soon! (I miss being able to do work from home.  My last job I got a lap top that I could take home and do my data analysis/reports/paper research on with no issues, so if I was sick-but-not-dead I didn't have to lose any productivity.  This new job I don't have that luxury...*sadface*)

That.... is a lot of stuff for a shodan.  A lot more, I feel, than we need for aikido.  At my dojo I think we just need to have attended a seminar or two, plus know the basics, like Mistr said.  I also know my dojo is weird because our students test 'at home' instead of at some distant seminar.  Though, I've been getting the jist that it's due to politics.

I'd kind of mimic the same things Mistr said, but I totally hear you on the "but I want to be better" mentality.  I've held off my own testings a few time because, though several instructors and senior students said I was fine, I wanted to feel more comfortable and polished with the techniques than I did.  On one hand, I feel like it made the test look prettier, but for that bit of vanity not much changed when I got the rank, you know?  Trade offs, I suppose.

Thanks, you too.  Seriously, potato leek soup and jello.  I may actually be more productive working at home!  It's a sweet setup and means that I can work from wherever, except stuff with equipment.

It is.  I'll talk it over with Sensei and see what he thinks.  My fretting about the lack of competition is probably overcompensating.  

Oooh, I love that. Thanks.

Get well soon, Teirin! And great work last week.

Mistr is our resident kicker-of-asses and also purveyor of good advice when we need her.  Thanks!

I've been with Alpha a few years now. They do put out some interesting stuff.

They do indeed.  I've been getting the kids working on their basic movement skills regularly.  It works very nicely with the LTAD model.  They also have a lot of fun, which is the big thing.

I also introduced rolling pistol squats to the adult class and one of the guys told me that full pistol squats just aren't possible.  Ha!  No.  Not that I can demo one.

WOW. Sounds amazing! :) I love classes like this.

So...have you decided if you are going to this camp? It looks awesome!

Sorry you aren't feeling well. :(  *sends e-chicken soup* Hope you get better soon!

Yeah, I wish every class was like that.

It hasn't been scheduled yet so I don't know.  If it's out of town, I'd need to arrange transport, and if it's in December I just can't do it.  I live at work in December and there are no full weekends off until after the 24th.  Screw winter, fiscal year end is coming.

Current species:  Snot monster.  I worked from home again today and the cats were hiding from me.  They didn't like the sudden sneezing and movements.

quarriors-snot-monster.jpg

The GOOD news:  I seem to be over the worst, moving around clears my sinuses, and my balance is fine now.  It was somewhat off on Sunday and yesterday.  So, workout is happening albeit a relatively brief one.  Judo didn't happen.  Showing up and dribbling on people is just not cool.

Strength training: 

3 sets:

100 Jumping jacks - clears the sinuses for the following round

50 Mountain climbers

5 ea rolling pistol squats

13/10/11 pushups - each set until failure or dripping

3 ea tripod bridge extensions

2/1/1 pullups

Stretching

Such a small workout in a giant post.

Just for fun - From the humor section of Judoinfo.com

If Judo Players Ruled the World - by Neil Ohlenkamp

• After every tournament the competitors would get a chance to randori with the referees.
  • There would be 385 different belt colors, so you could get promoted just for coming to a class.
  • Only sports that can be done barefoot would be allowed on TV.
  • Brazilian Jiujitsu students would all develop a painful rash on their backs so they would have to fight standing up. -We kid, we love BJJ people :love_heart:
  • The victors in any athletic competition would get to body slam the losers.
  • Judo would be a professional sport, and you'd get paid per fall.
  • Instead of beer belly, you'd get "beer biceps."
  • A referee's vocabulary would be limited to "Hajime" and "Ippon".
  • Mats would stay clean by themselves. - oh, I wish
  • To increase training opportunities, bars and nightclubs would be required to have mats.
  • Judogis would be acceptable business attire and everyone would have to wear them.
  • The old instructors would all be 40 years younger so you could really see how good they are.
  • It'd be considered harmless fun to gather 30 friends, put on horned helmets, and go pillage a nearby town. - eh not so much
  • Breaking up would be a lot easier. One successful choke would do it. - also, eh not so much
  • Your opponents would always weigh less than your little sister.
  • The TV show "Cops" would be broadcast live, and you could phone in advice to the pursuing cops. Or to the crooks.

Comments are mine.

Top 10 Signs you got a bad Uke for Judo Nage No Kata - by John Yarymowich

1. He arrives for your grading wearing a blue gi.

2. He starts jumping rope and listening to hip hop to "psych up" for the kata.

3. He fights for grips at the start of each sequence.

4. He knocks you out with his atemi during the ippon seoi nage sequence.

5. He tries to counter your harai goshi with utsuri goshi.

6. He pulls you down to the mat after sasae-tsurikomi ashi and tries to apply juji-gatame because "you only scored waza-ari dude".

7. When you grip for uchi-mata he whispers "who’s the Daddy NOW, mofo".

8. During tomoe nage, he does a smart gymnastic turnout and mumbles "nice try" while lining up for the left hand technique.

9. He refuses to leave the mat until a winner is declared.

10. You see your ex-girlfriend slipping him an envelope on the way out of the dojo.

For any non-Judoka - Kata is a very formal set pattern of throws, commonly performed for your Shodan (black belt) grading, you MUST be wearing a white gi, and it's not actually a fight.  My Sensei had one of these guys for his partner for his Nidan grading (his planned partner ended up subbing in to the grading board because they were short). 

• Like 5

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

I hope you are over the hump on your cold.

I see what you are worried about for your shodan. You don't just have to show your moves once. You have to do competitions and other graded performances first.

Do you think any of the improved sleep habits you have established recently would let you sleep in an unfamiliar place?

I seem to be!

I don't *have* to, but it is strongly preferred and my lack of competition would affect the outcome to some extent.  I'll talk it over with Sensei and see what he thinks.  It has also occurred to me that if I make it through enough events to get my technical points, I should feel like I deserve it :-)

Maybe, I could sleep at my Grandparents' place so it is possible. 

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

• It'd be considered harmless fun to gather 30 friends, put on horned helmets, and go pillage a nearby town. - eh not so much
  • Breaking up would be a lot easier. One successful choke would do it. - also, eh not so much

glad you added the comments, cos those are some pretty weird things for judo lovers to push for...

also - not all choking in a relationship is bad ;)

• Like 1

It's the moose on the inside that counts.

I also introduced rolling pistol squats to the adult class and one of the guys told me that full pistol squats just aren't possible.  Ha!  No.  Not that I can demo one.

Ugh. Pistol squats.

• Like 1

<p>Half-orc Sort-of-Monk Guy, Lvl 4

STR 10 DEX 7 STA 5 CON 10 WIS 6 CHA 2

Planned Upcoming Challenge: Kata.

glad you added the comments, cos those are some pretty weird things for judo lovers to push for...

also - not all choking in a relationship is bad ;)

Yeah, they bugged me a bit. 

God, I'd love to see my Sensei some years younger and without his injuries. That would be amazing, I think.

Yeah, mine too.  He tells us a lot of stories but I'd really like to see him when he was at his best.  Also, when he had hair.

Ugh. Pistol squats.

Nonononono, it's YAY! pistol squats. 

300 jumping jacks - while you're sick, and as a small part of your overall workout - is a small workout? You are a beast. Amazing!

Honestly, Sensei has us do so many of them that I don't really consider them much of strain.  Also, you may underestimate what lengths I will go to when trying to clear my sinuses :-D

I rather seriously overestimated my over-the-worst-of-it status last night.  The night really really sucked.  Sinuses got worse, spent the night alternating between trying to clear them and this half-asleep hallucinating state.  Also got some crap news today at work.  Year end is possibly going to be worse than I'd previously expected. 

I know everything will be fine but I spent a lot of today in the-sky-is-falling mode.  It'll be fine once I get some sleep and some better food.  I kind of ran out of real meat and was eating canned meat and protein powder the last few days.  Not great.  I roasted a few big turkey thighs this evening and also got some applewood smoked bacon.  Bacon and brussels sprouts is totally happening, probably with sweet potato.

No workout tonight, except maybe some restorative yoga.  Just rest, talking to Mom and Dad, good food, add getting to bed really early.  Sinuses should be good enough to let me meditate tonight.  That will help too.

So, being a bit of a drama queen but will get over it shortly.

full.gif

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

If this is you being a drama queen...I need you to give lessons to my staff!! Feel better soon

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: CRUSTED is the only acronym I can come up with for this

Spoiler

Magickal, Eclectic, Goddess, Level 71

|1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13|14|15|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|27|28|29|30|31|32|33|34|35|36|37|38|39|40|41|42|43|44|45|46|47|48|49|50|51|52|53|54|55|56|57|58|59|60|61|62|63|64|65|66|67|68|69|70|71|72|73|74|

My Character Page | Tracking Spreadsheet | My BlogMyFitnessPal |

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Ah, the difference that sleep makes.  I am not sure, but I probably had a fever for at least part of yesterday.  I woke up at about 2:30 drenched in sweat and with a clear head so that was potentially it breaking.  The rest of the night went pretty well and I'm operating at near max today.  There's still a leftover cough but my brain is working.  This is good.

The sky is not falling today.  Everything will be fine.  Sorry about that.

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Ah, the difference that sleep makes.  I am not sure, but I probably had a fever for at least part of yesterday.  I woke up at about 2:30 drenched in sweat and with a clear head so that was potentially it breaking.  The rest of the night went pretty well and I'm operating at near max today.  There's still a leftover cough but my brain is working.  This is good.

The sky is not falling today.  Everything will be fine.  Sorry about that.

Sleep.  It really is magical.  Glad you're feeling better and are close to max with a working brain! :D

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

If this is you being a drama queen...I need you to give lessons to my staff!! Feel better soon

I was much worse offline.  Apologies have been tendered to several people.  My Mom most notably.  Everything was DOOM on Wednesday and she was worried.

Sleep.  It really is magical.  Glad you're feeling better and are close to max with a working brain! :D

It really is.  Thanks!

I slid back into being very tired by the end of yesterday and despite a very good night of sleep, I'm still really tired.  I also apparently having company come to visit tonight in the form of Heidi!  This is very happy news.  She does not fear my recent sick status but I worry about my apartment still being a cesspool of germs so I am going to head home quick after work and wipe things down/wash floors/air the place out more.  I've had the windows open every chance I get but more won't hurt.

Also, with the impetus of recent sickness (half the office has been down with it at this point) I signed up for for the in-building flu shot clinic this year.  $25 and I get the flu shot at work.  Fine.  I worry more about passing it on to my Judo kids though I'm more likely to get it from them.

I will be doing some working out this weekend but it looks like a bit of a dud week, workout-wise.  Meh, they happen.  Would like to do one challenge where I'm consistent every week.

Judo did happen last night but I didn't go.  We weren't expecting many kids as there was no school yesterday and this is our Thanksgiving weekend.  We have a no school = no Judo policy but some of the new parents were potentially not aware of it yet.  More showed up than expected and they apparently had fun.    So still at 2.5/6 for that goal.

I'm looking into a produce box program in town.  It's a neat company called Real Food Connections that handles all sorts of produce, meat, and other local things.  They have a GF box as well with produce, meat, and stuff like beans/jam/fruit but their meat is really expensive.  I see the local/quality argument but I eat a lot of meat and I don't think I can pay that much for it.  For reference, I get my boneless skinless chicken breast for $9.90/kg downtown and this place has chicken breast for $30.55/kg.  Their vegetable prices are a bit higher than I'd normally pay downtown but much closer.  Other things may be feasible.  This would also encourage me to try more things, probably.  Mistr seems to really enjoy her co-op vegetable box :-)

To distract you from the lack of any workouts in this post, I will provide a link to the Calvin & Hobbes/Dune mashup comic Gryffudd sent me this morning.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

Judo - Shodan

My Character

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines