• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

virtualmonkey

Virtualmonkey time to take the bull by the horns

So I've decided for this challenge I'm saying screw the rules, its a 7 week challenge for me!

It's time to step and take the bull by the horns, and by that I mean its race time. Since that's the whole reason I've been training as hard as I have I decided these races are going to be my goals.

Goal 1 - Oct 4th Tower or Terror 10m @ Disney World

A - Finish under 2 hours

B - Finish under 2.5 hours

C - Finish anything else

Fail - Don't finish or get picked up for moving too slow.

Goal 2 - Nov 1 Indianapolis Monumental Half Marathon @ Downtown Indianapolis

S - Finish in 2 hours 40 minutes

A - Finish in 3 hours
D - Finish after my wife (haha!)

Fail - Don't finish

On a completely unrelated race goal. It's hunting season, most of you probably think its barbaric or should be illegal or whatever. But if you're going to eat paleo or organic what's better than getting your own meat?? Seriously, that's how cave man did it and the only people involved in that process are my brother and I, and Grandpa Gene it's his farm but that's about all he has to do with it. We actually try to get 50% of our yearly meat this way, we are feeding 4 adults and 4 kids so it's a pretty good money saving scheme for us too. 

Goal 3 - Stock the freezer. Since we split everything I'm including only what I take down even if I don't bring it all home.

A - 2 kills, 60lbs of meat. Fish & Fowl not included

B - 1 kill <60lbs Fish & Fowl included

C - Something new to stick in the freezer

Fail - Going hungry :(

• Like 2

You're going to kill this, Virtual Monkey!! (Pun intended for Goal 3 ;) )

I think it's smart to make your races your goals. You'll be training anyway, right!

So I went for my first decently long bike ride last night, 14 miles, and I'm saddle sore like there's no tomorrow! Any advice on how to work with this? I know I need to get a new bike seat, current on is 6 years old and has a few tears in it. I probably need to check the seat and handle height as well. 

Also, anyone have suggestions on bike maintenance? Like I said, its about 6 yrs old and the only thing I've ever done to it is put air the tires and a little grease on the chain. Tires are still in good shape, breaks still work fine. I'd say it probably has 500-600 miles on it. I bought it to ride to work ~6 miles round trip, after the first year I moved too far away to keep riding it. If I rode it 100 times I would be surprised.

Hmmmm, I am not an expert there. The most avid road cycler we have is @Merganser but I haven't seen her much recently. @Blaidd might have ideas about the seat soreness, though!!

New bike seat seemed to be a money shot. I rode 20 miles on Sunday morning and was fine after I ate lunch. Now if I can just run 1/2 the distance in the same amount of time I'll be happy. My two week injury period is almost up so I'm going to try an easy short run on Thursday. I'm supposed to start tapering on Saturday for the race next Saturday so I'm probably going to go ahead and ride the bike then even if the short run goes good. 

I did manage to take down a small doe this weekend, lost my arrow though embedded in a bone. Can't win them all right? She brought in about 30-35 lbs. We got a total of 80lbs over the weekend, my brother downed a buck as well. We each got a turkey as well, but that's bonus meat. Turkey's are such silly stupid animals. You would think after the first one falls they'd run. Nope they stood around looking, kind of reminds me of people....

• Like 1

LOL turkeys are amazingly dumb. lol

I'm glad your brother and you are having good luck with hunting! It's good to get your own food if at all possible. I have never gone, but sometimes I wonder if I should for the experience of killing my meat. Dunno.

How's the challenge so far? You got a big run coming up. Are you excited!?

Finished the 10 miler in 1:58:28. It was an amazing run. Had to take a couple of minutes to walk out what I thought was a twisted ankle around mile 3. Other than that I stayed around 12 min miles the first half, 11:30 or less for 6-8, 9 & 10 were sub 11 minutes. Had to make up for the bathroom break and walk time. Today I actually feel great, one knee is a little sore but I expected that. I'll have some pictures once I get home.

• Like 1

Well the next day at Magic Kingdom was a mistake. We didn't get back to our room, eat, and shower, until after 3am. Up at 7:30am to get ready, eat breakfast, and collect the baby from Grandma. I was wiped by 1p, and asleep by 4p. Other than that I've been fine. My calf did better than I expected after the flare up from the old injury. We didn't get home from the airport until after 10pm Monday so I took Tuesday off to do laundry and recover. Took my bike out for a few miles Wednesday, came home because my hands were numb more so than anything else. I ran\walked about 6 miles yesterday (ran 3 walked 3 with the dog) and felt great. I'm planning on 11-12 miles in the morning, half is quickly approaching. 

I know my wife enjoyed it, she's already planning out how we can get the coast to coast medals from Disney.

So I got out yesterday for a little pre-work hunting, had to work late into the evening so my morning was pretty free. It wasn't long after the sun fully cleared the tree and a big beautiful buck came 7 yards from me, I mean who could resist that shot! Like clockwork buck fever set it, normally it doesn't for me I've gotten a few but this one was 10 pointer, looked good and ready to be shot. Buck fever is an interesting thing, kind of like the pre-race jitters that make most people shoot out the gate at twice their normal speed. Luckily I've been bow hunting since I was about 8 and muscle memory took over and I had an almost perfect shot, lung instead of heart oh well. I haven't fully trimmed him yet, just field dressed and quick big cuts but it looks like he probably got me ~40-60 lbs when the cutting is complete. I didn't weigh what I brought home. 

Thankfully we have no limit this year on doe so I get to keep hunting. Usually anything after the 3rd deer I donate 1/2 the meat to the soup kitchens. 

We didn't make it. We found out my father in law has to have heart surgery so instead of making the trip to Wisconsin we stopped short in Chicago to visit with his mother and siblings before he meets with the surgeon tomorrow. Indy is still on, although I seriously have to reevaluate my time goals since I've only run about 11 miles since DW 3 weeks ago. 

Sorry about your father in-law. I hope he's doing alright.

I get the reevaluation of time goals. It makes perfect sense to expect your body to perform according to the training it has gotten recently. Good head and good feet on that body of yours! Good luck in Indy!

Thanks, he is doing as well as can be. He's known for about 15 years he would need a heart valve replacement. They made him drop marathons about 4 years ago, and he started showing soft triggers about 3 weeks ago that it was time to replace it. Other than the valve he's about as healthy as you can be. Surgery isn't for a couple more weeks so just playing the waiting game now. 

I've adjusted my time goals, hoping for <3 hours. I'm going to do the run-walk-run method unless I feel real spunky at the starting line, I think 5 min run 1 min walk is what the book suggests for me. I did a run Saturday doing 4 and 1 and it was pretty easy. I just need to find a good trigger to alert me when to switch or it looks more like 4:45 running and 1:22 walking...I'm terrible at keeping track of any amount of time.

Do you run with a smart phone or a watch that could ding every 5 minutes? The watch you might have to reset while you're walking but smart phones have apps you can use to set up the alerts you need. I use Runkeeper on my iphone.

I have both actually, I have a Garmin that does intervals and a couple of apps I found to try for intervals. I forgot my headphones in my gear bag so that threw my phone out, and I don't really like trying to configure my watch while I'm running so I just rolled with it. The first 3 miles I ran to the mile marker, then walking 60-90 seconds depending on when I remembered to check my time. After mile 3 I was feeling great so I just took off running. Around mile 10 I starting doing the run walk run a little more consistently with 4 min running and 1 min walking, I was never off by more than 10 seconds. 

I did my 10k split in 1:22:09 and finished in 2:46:26, I did negative splits again which is always good. I hit mile 10 about 6-7 minutes behind my time for Disney World so I was excited, I expected to be a good 15 minutes behind. 

I started my watch like 1/4 mile into the race so I knew it was off the whole time, and I had no idea how far I was behind the clock but I still finished in under 3 hours clock time which was exciting for me. I did a whole lot better staying out of my head and sabatoging myself though I thought I would. I talked to quite a few people and what not as I ran, I had a good time though. A lot of people where handing out halloween candy so I did have a few candy bars as I ran.

The unexpected cold front that moved out of canada and into the Kentucky\Indiana area on Friday really sucked, it was 30 with a wind chill of 22 at the start. Had a slight wardrobe miscalculation with the running tights I grabbed, thank God for diaper rash cream, chafing is all gone in only a few hours. I feel great today, one ankle is a little sore where a piece of cracked concrete slid out from under me and quads are a little sore. Got some deep stretching yoga planned for the little ones nap time.