Gooooood morning, Brigade!! I was referred over here by the lovely Lullaby88, and reading some of your posts I think this is a good group for me to join! Looks like it has been a leeeetle bit quiet in here lately though...shall we fix that? *cranks up "Eye of the Tiger"* ^_^

What are y'all doing today to be awesome?

• Like 4

Everything is Training

and

Training is Everything

My Quest has only just begun...

Welcome, Drehmos! :triumphant:

What am I up to, today? Hmmm...

So far I haven't had a skirmish with the Sugar Monster yet, so that's good. If I can keep it up for the rest of the day, we have a tie so far for this week. :)

Later, I'll be going to my kettlebell class - looking forward to it. :)

How about you?

• Like 3

Hobbit 

Challenges: 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9| 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Gooooood morning, Brigade!! I was referred over here by the lovely Lullaby88, and reading some of your posts I think this is a good group for me to join! Looks like it has been a leeeetle bit quiet in here lately though...shall we fix that? *cranks up "Eye of the Tiger"* ^_^

Heck, yes. We are usually a bit more shouty. 

Welcome! *dances to music*

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

Hello Drehmos! I'm actually quite new here as well and believe I joined the Brigade about a week ago. I've certainly enjoyed and been motivated by the company of these awesome rebels - and hopefully even motivated a few of them as well! 

What am I doing today to be awesome?! Going for a rather long walk if it isn't superduper windy, but otherwise resting my sore muscles :tongue:

Oh, I also sub'd and posted on your quest log ;) Welcome to the Brigade!

• Like 3

Gargoyle Assassin

Present: I can has climb?
   Future: It shall be excellent.

Failures are merely teachers.

Welcome wise one! Yes, it has been quite. (focus camera to face ) Too quiet~

Becursee, LIEF. But. I. Be. The. Back. (Partially)

This message was convincingly brought to you by, "my imaginative brain" and my "nimble but bulbous fingers".

• Like 2

Class and Profession: Rangers/Druid
Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

The extraordinary is in what we do, not who we are--Lara Croft.

Welcome, Drehmos! :triumphant:

What am I up to, today? Hmmm...

So far I haven't had a skirmish with the Sugar Monster yet, so that's good. If I can keep it up for the rest of the day, we have a tie so far for this week. :)

Later, I'll be going to my kettlebell class - looking forward to it. :)

How about you?

DA FLIP YOUR KETTLEBELL! How does one work with kettlebell?

This message was convincingly brought to you by, "my imaginative brain" and my "nimble but bulbous fingers".

• Like 1

Background: 27 year old Nerdling. Idk what to write anymore so imagine that this is a cool intro

Spoiler

Quote:

Hello Drehmos! I'm actually quite new here as well and believe I joined the Brigade about a week ago. I've certainly enjoyed and been motivated by the company of these awesome rebels - and hopefully even motivated a few of them as well!

What am I doing today to be awesome?! Going for a rather long walk if it isn't superduper windy, but otherwise resting my sore muscles :tongue:

Oh, I also sub'd and posted on your quest log ;) Welcome to the Brigade!

Please take care and stay warm. Wrap yourself in scarves and wear gloves because this kind of weather will surely cause some major health issues later on (plus a string and a bow, in case you become a flying kite yourself :P)

• Like 1

Spoiler

Quote:

DA FLIP YOUR KETTLEBELL! How does one work with kettlebell?

Depends on what you want to do. There are a lot of different styles of how to do things with a kettlebell. I am learning what is called "hardstyle". The goal is to build strength by working with a maximum of effort and tension, more focus on heavier weights, less reps (in contrast to kettlebell sport, which has the maximum efficiency of a movement as a goal, so you can do more reps).

For those of you who can see youtube videos, here's a demo of the so called "big six" movements in RKC hardstyle:

Though there is a lot of other fun stuff you can do with a kettlebell. :D

And we do a lot of other stuff in class, not only KB exercises. We're also doing calisthenics (last two or three classes there was handstand skill work, usually there are push-up and / or pull-up variations etc.), mobility work or we also practice deadlifting kettlebells or a barbell... :)

• Like 2

Hobbit 

My shiny new "battle" log - probably more of a plodding-along log, but hey, it's mine!

Wow. Kettlebell sounds like fun. My mom had a little kettlebell and an exercise video she was playing on her laptop some time ago....not sure if she's still doing that.....but it looked like fun when she did it, and that video you've got looks like fun too...dem arm muscles man!

I'm currently somewhat lacking in awesome. I'm installing some programs to learn Japanese...buuuuut I SHOULD be working out. If I work out every day for two weeks my husband will be budgeting in a gym membership for me! I want it....

I need dis

^ This is me right now with working out, cleaning my car, and learning Japanese. In that order, unfortunately. 

• Like 4

Everything is Training

and

Training is Everything

Whoosh! *relieved sigh* I talked myself into the workout. I also spent about...eh, 40 minutes? studying my Japanese. However, I did NOT clean out my car. >_> I guess that'll have to wait 'till morning. Too dark now.....

So! My Brigade brothers and sisters! I've got a series of questions for you.

What languages do y'all speak?

What was your workout today like?

And....

*puts on stern teacher tone* What did you learn?

• Like 2

Everything is Training

and

Training is Everything

Woops, sorry I'm late. *ahem*

Welcome to the Brigade Drehmos!!!

We're glad to have you aboard! :D

Whoosh! *relieved sigh* I talked myself into the workout. I also spent about...eh, 40 minutes? studying my Japanese. However, I did NOT clean out my car. >_> I guess that'll have to wait 'till morning. Too dark now.....

And....

Great job getting in the workout and Japanese :encouragement:

As for your questions:

• I speak English, and that's it. I haven't learned another language yet
  • Didn't workout today (well, yesterday technically, because it's midnight right now [man, I really should get to bed earlier]). But plan to in the morning. Hit a bit of a snag these past two weeks, but I'm getting myself back on track.
  • Uhh... I don't know. Haven't really learned anything substantial today (if you mean by studying or something). Got myself in a better mindset (although it's still a work in progress) so that's good, but I don't know if that counts as "learning." Thinking, I guess? I've thought about things and how I want to approach problems I've been dealing with this challenge.

Depends on what you want to do. There are a lot of different styles of how to do things with a kettlebell. I am learning what is called "hardstyle". The goal is to build strength by working with a maximum of effort and tension, more focus on heavier weights, less reps (in contrast to kettlebell sport, which has the maximum efficiency of a movement as a goal, so you can do more reps).

Though there is a lot of other fun stuff you can do with a kettlebell. :D

And we do a lot of other stuff in class, not only KB exercises. We're also doing calisthenics (last two or three classes there was handstand skill work, usually there are push-up and / or pull-up variations etc.), mobility work or we also practice deadlifting kettlebells or a barbell... :)

So much Kettlebell stuff! If only I had a kettlebell... if only... if only... :distracted:

• Like 1

[ Battle Log: - THE LEGEND OF WILL - ]

Spoiler

"I can change the future!"

- Shulk from Xenoblade Chronicles

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

- Hylian Dan from The Philosophy of The Wind Waker

Oh also, my bad for not getting the weekly challenge, story, thing up. That was my fault, but I've got something planed for this next week! And it'll be a team effort, so get ready!!!

But I'll get what was supposed to be up this week up first. No challenge, just story. It doesn't feel right to leave it out.

• Like 1

Spoiler

"I still don't know what I should do. What [he's] doing isn't for his own gain. He walks the path he believes in, one step at a time. Wishing only for the happiness of those around him. I, on the other hand... I thought I didn't have a path that I could take laid out before me. But like he said, that's just running away. I must find my own path."

- Fei from Xenogears

"A life of adventure awaits those with the courage to step beyond their comfort zones."

And....

Wow, you're tough!

1. English, with repeated failures in French and Spanish

2. Good, solid workout. 

3. I learned about band-assisted pushups-- who knew? 

My Week 5 wrap-up is here

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

And....

Wowzers on dem exercise minutes plus good work on the Japanese!! Whew! . *wipes off imaginary forehead sweat*

WELP!

My first language would be "Urdu". Kaise mizaaj apke? (Hell! No keyboard for Urdu typing :c)

Then, English (OI! AI DEW BAIST AKCENTS! I think I did AUSTRAAYAHN)

I want to learn Russian, Farsi and maybe Japanese or French soon. :/ [pound the alarm!!]

I RAN LIKE A BAWS! (Sonic would not be pleased at all and tails would be laughing at me for sure, though because my kidney plus left leg—from the knees down—started to ache like a weird nut) but I gave myself 30 minutes c: [ugh treadmill. Ugh blekh]

I LEARNED ABOUT TEETH? DOES THAT COUNT?? AND. AND. I HAVE NO IDEA C:

• Like 3

Spoiler

Quote:

And....

I speak German (native), English (second) and I'm currently re-learning French (learned it in high school, but forgot most of it in the eons since, apparently).

No real workout, just playing around with the KBs a bit and practicing a couple of cleans.

Other than that, rest day. I skipped yoga for today, didn't want to add any forward folds to the already achy back. :(

I learned that an Icelandic foal will try to eat your shoes (or at least shoelaces) if you stand still long enough. :lol:

• Like 2

Hobbit 

I speak German (native), English (second) and I'm currently re-learning French (learned it in high school, but forgot most of it in the eons since, apparently).

No real workout, just playing around with the KBs a bit and practicing a couple of cleans.

Other than that, rest day. I skipped yoga for today, didn't want to add any forward folds to the already achy back. :(

I learned that an Icelandic foal will try to eat your shoes (or at least shoelaces) if you stand still long enough. :lol:

Oh goodness! This way, I'll get a pet for sure! Gotta find some old shoesies!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Quote:

English, and what little I remember from when I learned Japanese.... which is pretty much nothing. I don't even remember what most katakana/hiragana are or how to count. :D

Workout? What workout? I do that tomorrow :o

• Like 3

Gargoyle Assassin

Present: I can has climb?
   Future: It shall be excellent.

Failures are merely teachers.

(The super late opening to...)

= WEEK FIVE =

PUSHING FORWARD

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dust settles as the battle comes to an end. All around, debris sits in the snow, melting it with it's heat. The Brigade gathers together, making sure everyone's ok.

Now getting a chance to look around, The Brigade notices a large object in the distance, covered in a veil of smoke. As the smoke rises, a large, broken, robotic dragon can be seen at the bottom of the mountain. The Rebels who had fought along side The Brigade explain what it is: a war machine, meant to destroy all who oppose The Empire. It's used to wipe out all who are different, any who stray from the norm. It's called a "Xeno-killer."

Before The Brigade arrived, the other Rebels had been locked in combat with it. It took all their might to subdue the mechanical beast. At it's downfall, it hit the ground with great force, and tumbled down the mountain, destroying all in its wake. As it lied at the base of the mountain, unmoving and cold, The Empire sent in a wave of soldiers to finish the job. And that's where The Brigade came in.

Looking ahead, the other Rebels warn The Brigade of what's to come: that was one of the weaker Xeno-killers, and it was enough to almost take them down. If The Brigade is to survive, they'll have to fight with all they've got!

-

At the base of the mountain, the other Rebels say farewell to The Brigade, and that they'll see them at the finish line. As the rest walk away, a few stay and join. With new members in ranks, The Brigade's strength swells! But will that strength be enough? With The Empires forces on the move, and with a new enemy, the Xeno-killers, on the lose, it'll take all The Brigade has to make it to the end. With courage in their hearts, they trudge forward, through the Valley of Darkness, ready for what's ahead...

--

Mini challenge: None, because this is a week late. Onto this next week!

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

= WEEK SIX =

THEY WILL KNOW OUR NAMES

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

(Week Six Music)

The Valley thins, the mountains recede, as the Final Plains stretch before The Dai-Gurren Brigade!!! Green grass and rolling hills fill the land as far as the eye can see. A light breeze sweeps through the air, as the sun sits high atop the sky.

Everything is peaceful, quiet, calm.

"It's eerie how much this reminds me of the Beginning Field... I feel we've entered the eye of the storm. Be ready, anything could happen going forward-"

*Kaboom*

The sound of an explosion races through the air, as the ground shakes beneath! An object on the edge of the horizon swiftly ascends into the sky, shining in the sunlight as it climbs. A puff of white smoke explodes out from around it as it accelerates to amazing speeds. After a short time, a second explosion can be heard, as the object races upwards.

"Was... was that a sonic boom!? I could FEEL that!"

As the object peaks, it gradually arcs and changes it's course; with haste, it races towards The Brigade. Within seconds, it barrels overhead, shaking the earth while a violent gust follows behind. As it passes by, it quickly slows itself down, loops back around, and slams itself down in front of the brigade, destroying the ground beneath its feet.

Standing before the Brigade, a giant yellow robotic dragon towers above them. It's wings outstretched, the thrusters attached glow red hot as the fire dies down. It's massive arms and legs are covered in thick armor, striped in yellow and black; and at the ends, it's hands and feet end in razor sharp claws. As it's serrated tail raises into the air, it pounds it's hands into the ground. On all fours, the metallic beast rears back, staring at the team with its blood red mechanical eyes. Quickly, it thrusts its head forward and lets forth a powerful scream!

*KARAAAAAAAAH*

"Sh-sh-shit, they weren't kidding! So this is a Xeno-killer in action... This won't be easy! Team, get ready!!!"

As The Brigade gathers together, they spot the rank of the Xeno-killer on its left and right shoulders.

"'005-E.' It's the same rank as the destroyed one we passed after the fight on Mt. Three! Regardless, even if it's rank is low, fight with all you've got! LET'S GO!!!"

The Dai-Gurren Brigade bravely charges headfirst towards the Xeno-killer! But this only the beginning, for more lies ahead in this last week. That is, if they survive long enough to even see it...

--

Mini challenge: Push-ups!!!

All together, the foes that stand in our way have a grand total HP of 150. In order to take them all down, we'll have to lower that to 0. The way to attack them is through push-ups! We'll each do 10 push-ups on assigned days. They can be any push-up: wall push-ups, knee push-ups, regular push-ups, etc. (and they don't all have to be at once, you can spread it throughout the day). What ever kind of push-up you need do, do it; as long as it's a push-up, that's what counts!

Here's the list for who has what days:

• Tuesday
    • Drehmos
    • Cinalyc
    • DWD
  • Wednesday
    • drc242
    • the 13th letter
    • TwoToneWA
  • Thursday
    • PhDifferent
    • lullaby88
    • Swampling
  • Friday
    • Tearose
    • Hansjay
    • forkboy
  • Saturday
    • AshPS
    • Harihead
  • Sunday
    • Will

Once you've done your 10 push-ups, report back here on that day. That'll help me keep track of who's done what.

Now if you can't do you push-ups, that's ok. I'll be doing mine, plus any ones that were missed (which is why I'm last). So if someone missed their day, I get to do my 10, plus 10 more. Don't worry, I'm always up for an excuse to do more push-ups :playful:

If you able to do the 10 push-ups later, you can still report them here, but I'll still do the extra set of 10, because why the hell not. Just think of it as dealing even more damage then we need to! Because you know, there's no kind of kill like overkill :tyrannosaurus:

(the Mini Challenges up to now have been community based, but I've wanted to try an exercise based one for a little while. So this is just a test run to see how it works. I have plans on how to tweak this kind of thing for future Mini Challenges, and if anyone has ideas for other ones, feel free to tell me. I just wanted to give it a go, and see how it worked. But anyways, let's give this a try :rapture:)

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

= WEEK SIX =

THEY WILL KNOW OUR NAMES

(

)

The Valley thins, the mountains recede, as the Final Plains stretch before The Dai-Gurren Brigade!!! Green grass and rolling hills fill the land as far as the eye can see. A light breeze sweeps through the air, as the sun sits high atop the sky.

Everything is peaceful, quiet, calm.

"It's eerie how much this reminds me of the Beginning Field... I feel we've entered the eye of the storm. Be ready, anything could happen going forward-"

*Kaboom*

The sound of an explosion races through the air, as the ground shakes beneath! An object on the edge of the horizon swiftly ascends into the sky, shining in the sunlight as it climbs. A puff of white smoke explodes out from around it as it accelerates to amazing speeds. After a short time, a second explosion can be heard, as the object races upwards.

"Was... was that a sonic boom!? I could FEEL that!"

As the object peaks, it gradually arcs and changes it's course; with haste, it races towards The Brigade. Within seconds, it barrels overhead, shaking the earth while a violent gust follows behind. As it passes by, it quickly slows itself down, loops back around, and slams itself down in front of the brigade, destroying the ground beneath its feet.

Before the team towers a yellow robotic dragon. It's wings outstretched, the thrusters attached glow red hot as the fire dies down. It's massive arms and legs are covered in thick armor, striped in yellow and black; and at the ends, it's hands and feet end in razor sharp claws. As it's serrated tail raises into the air, it ponds it's hands into the ground. On all fours, the metallic beast rears back, staring at the team with its blood red mechanical eyes. Quickly, it thrusts its head forward and lets forth a powerful scream!

*KARAAAAAAAAH*

"Sh-sh-shit, they weren't kidding! So this is a Xeno-killer in action... This won't be easy! Team, get ready!!!"

As The Brigade gathers together, they spot the rank of the Xeno-killer on it's left and right shoulders.

"'005-E.' So it's a low ranking one, like the destroyed one we passed after the fight on Mt. Three! Regardless, fight with all you've got! LET'S GO!!!"

The Dai-Gurren Brigade bravely charges headfirst towards the Xeno-killer! But this only the beginning, for more lies ahead in this last week. That is, if they survive long enough to even see it...

--

Mini challenge: Push-ups!!!

All together, the foes that stand in our way have a grand total HP of 150. In order to take them all down, we'll have to lower that to 0. The way to attack them is through push-ups! We'll each do 10 push-ups on assigned days. They can be any push-up: wall push-ups, knee push-ups, regular push-ups, etc. (and they don't all have to be at once, you can spread it throughout the day).

Here's the list for who has what days:

• Tuesday
    • Drehmos
    • Cinalyc
    • DWD
  • Wednesday
    • drc242
    • the 13th letter
    • TwoToneWA
  • Thursday
    • PhDifferent
    • lullaby88
    • Swampling
  • Friday
    • Tearose
    • Hansjay
    • forkboy
  • Saturday
    • AshPS
    • Harihead
  • Sunday
    • Will
Once you've done your 10 push-ups, report back here that day on it.

Now if you can't do you push-ups, that's ok. I'll be doing mine, plus any ones that were missed (which is why I'm last). So if someone missed their day, I get to do my 10, plus 10 more. Don't worry, I'm always up for an excuse to do more push-ups :playful:

If you able to do the 10 push-ups later, you can still report them here, but I'll still do the extra set of 10, because why the hell not. Just think of it as dealing even more damage then we need to! Because you know, there's no kind of kill like overkill :tyrannosaurus:

(the Mini Challenges up to now have been community based, but I've wanted to try an exercise based one for a little while. So this is just a test run to see how it works. I have plans on how to tweak this kind of thing for future Mini Challenges, and if anyone has ideas for other ones, feel free to tell me. I just wanted to give it a go, and see how it worked. But anyways, let's give this a try :rapture:)

BEST CHALLENGE EEVER!!! Can a person perform extra push-ups? As in, not on their designated day as extra damage??

WE SHOULD DO THESE MORE OFTEN! Running, dietary, sugary monster, book, art etc! Can't wait!

• Like 2

Spoiler

Quote:

BEST CHALLENGE EEVER!!! Can a person perform extra push-ups? As in, not on their designated day as extra damage??

WE SHOULD DO THESE MORE OFTEN! Running, dietary, sugary monster, book, art etc! Can't wait!

Pushups you say?! I clearly need to do 20, just because - though we'll see what my muscles feel like tomorrow. Them thar foes shall be superdead. Zombie coverage ahoy.

Sure! You can do as many as you please :D

But any extra done by someone else won't negate any extra I might have to do, because I still want an excuse to do more push-ups :playful:

Hell, even if everybody gets in their 10, I'll still do some more. Maybe, I could make it harder by doing them with one hand...

If you couldn't tell, I like push-ups :redface-new:

The reason I put it at ten was because this is the first exercise challenge, and I just wanted to see how it goes. I can certainly make them harder later, if that's what you all so desire :eagerness:

But for me to do that, I'd want to get feedback from everyone as to what exercises they can and can't do, and how well. For example, I wouldn't want to make a 10 pull-up challenge quite yet, because it might not be possible for some right now. But, we could always work towards that! So that's not out of the question, just not something we'd do until later :rapture:

• Like 1

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

I think you'll get to do more than your share of push-ups, Will, seeing that a couple of Brigade members don't get to check in very often, so the might not even know that there is this mini going... :D

Heh heh, yeah, that's a possibility :rapture:

That's why I was a little hesitant to do an exercise based Mini Challenge at first. Like I said, this is just a test run to see how it might work.

And because some might not even get to see this in time, is why I set it up with me at the end. If we need to hit a specific goal of X amount of things as a team, it just feels weird shoving any leftover things onto someone else. I'd rather it'd be me with the extra. So unless someone else wants to have that role on a later one, I think I'll keep it :)

Spoiler

- Fei from Xenogears

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines