The drop - Challenge 2 Redux [Endor]

Endor

Oh-oh-oh, I have to try that meatza!!!!!! My boyfriend won't believe it when I'll show him!

Ah, that's cool it's great to hear you get excited about food Lara, especially as I know you love your pizza (even though it doesn't love you!). 

I bought the ground beef to try it out. Already thinking of how to tweak the recipe. The "crust" doesn't have to be ground beef, as long as it's meaty, right? Weaving is making it into my "learn how to do" list

1209547602721.jpg

Bacon weaving, that is

Now there's a pizza base! I reckon the go would be to actually put the base on last so it stays crunchy and doesn't go soggy. If you could work some pork crackling in there for crunch as well that would be double awesome! 

Haha yeah, maybe I'll hit the goal soon. It just isn't as high on the priority list as getting workouts in. Also, with the lack of running, my TDEE is down right now. Oh, and I'm heading back to Kauai later this month :)

Oh you lucky b!! I was just talking about the trip to Kauai on the weekend with some friends who are thinking of going to Hawaii. We have a "I love Hanalei" sign hanging in our kitchen, that's how much my wife and I enjoyed it. 

Yeah running is definitely not a good idea with a dodgy knee. maybe some swimming in Kauai instead! Do you have a plan for your workouts over there? I recommend getting some rings to hang up and do pushups/pullups etc from. 

---------

I'm still sick and it's getting worse so I will be resting for next couple days at least I think. Seems like a good time to go see GUardians of the Galaxy at the cinema, my friend told me it's really good and he's not even into sci-fi/marvel that much! 

I got all 3 meals Paleo yesterday (Mon) so a good start to that goal. I did have some ice cream though to soothe my sore throat but I'm about to bin it so I don't eat any more. 

• Like 2

Endor, LVL 45 Half-Elf Ranger 

PR and Motivation Log | Current Battle Log 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Oh no, I hope you feel better! Take lots of vitamin C and fresh ginger. ^.^

I second Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a fun movie. :panda:

Thanks Ryoko, I caught the movie and really enjoyed it. :)

Hey Dominic,

I found a non-offensive, extremely accurate video of cross fit culture on teh interwebs.

Good luck in your challenge mate!

Bahahaha! There are definitely some people that get obsessed, haven't actually seen anyone puke...yet!

Check this dude out and here I am bitching about getting older....

Barking Sands Navy Base has a nice gym. I usually use it when I am on Kauai :)

Ah of course you get access to military facilities, very cool.

-------------------------------

3 Paleo meals again yesterday and the ice cream is all finished...i did eat it all in the end..oops. 

Cold has moved to my chest now so hopefully i can kill it in a couple days, still not training for now, just focusing on eating well.

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

3 Paleo meals again yesterday and the ice cream is all finished...i did eat it all in the end..oops.

Cold has moved to my chest now so hopefully i can kill it in a couple days, still not training for now, just focusing on eating well.

Well at least you've got no more ice cream now. :P

Kick that cold to the curb! Feel better soon. ^.^

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Get well! Seems like a lot of people have been sick :/ must be the changing seasons. Have some tea :)

Love seeing the grandparent-age people kick butt in the gym. Reminds me to start now so I can live that long and still feel good. 

#1 #2 #3 #3.1 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #13.5 #14 #15 #16 # 17 #18 #19 #20 #21

Current Challenge

Battle Log

Level 18 Pixie Ranger

Thanks guys, I am slowly rising from my funk and starting to feel better after 3 days in bed. Haven't been this sick for years. So still no exercise apart from 20 min walk with the dog yesterday and today.

Food going sort of Ok. Have eaten a lot but I've had 8 paleo mains so far this week so only 2 more to get.

• Like 3

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Well i was wondering why this challenge thread looked so familiar ;)

Welcome and thanks! Crossfit is a bit like marmite you either love it or hate it, well actually I think I love it and hate it :lol:

sounds just like most people's relationships with marmite - sometimes you just hate and love it at the same time.

Seems like a good time to go see GUardians of the Galaxy at the cinema, my friend told me it's really good and he's not even into sci-fi/marvel that much! 

i went to see it and fell asleep, lol.  it was a late night showing after a busy day at work and then a busy evening - but jax wanted to see it.

oh nos.  I hope it doesn't take up residence there.  I haven't been able to shake mine for almost 4 weeks now!!  It's driving me mad, but i just gave up and started slow cycling again on Tuesday.

Half Faerie (Sidhe) Scout | Black Belt Kitchen Ninja
"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright
You're welcome to skype me (audriwolf) too but let me know who you are

My challenge

Glad to know you are getting better :)  Take your time!

Thanks Lara you always give me good advice :)

Well i was wondering why this challenge thread looked so familiar ;)

i went to see it and fell asleep, lol.  it was a late night showing after a busy day at work and then a busy evening - but jax wanted to see it.

oh nos.  I hope it doesn't take up residence there.  I haven't been able to shake mine for almost 4 weeks now!!  It's driving me mad, but i just gave up and started slow cycling again on Tuesday.

It's more familiar now you're here, you played a big part in those early successes (and the later ones) and I'll always be grateful  :love_heart: 

I can't go to the cinema too late at night, I either fall asleep or end up wired and can't sleep when I get home. What an old man I am these days :lol:

I'm on the mend, sorry to hear you're still unwell, if it's progressed to pneumonia you gotta take that seriously and rest up x

-------------------------------------------

I am risen from the dead at last! I went for a 6km walk with the dog today, I was very tired when I got home but I felt much better for the fresh air and having been out into the world. Being sick has given me some perspective, well actually it's not just that, a video Dark_Raider posted on someone else's thread has also had a profound effect on me and reminded me that I shouldn't take life so seriously. I need to relax more and stop worrying about things. 

I'm also feeling perky because I've sorted out the agenda for my trip back to the UK and the accommodation for my jaunt to the New Forest with my closest friends is booked. This is going to be an emotional trip for a number of reasons. 4 of us went through school together and grew up supporting each other then one of the 4 of us was killed in a road accident 10 years ago. We're all turning 40 and for first time in a very very long time we'll be able to all be together and spend a few days hanging out. It's a joyous time but also a reminder that we are missing a very close friend and a reminder that your life can change in an instant so don't take things too seriously and make sure the people you love know that you do. 2 of us will go to see his mother during my trip, I always make sure to visit her and she's always pleased to see us and hear about our lives. It will be happy and sad at the same time but I'm looking forward to it so much. It's too hard for the third guy, he just can't cope with talking about our friend's death so he doesn't come. 

My hand has been pretty sore after doing some stupid things like playing golf but it's not debilitating in day to day life, just means there are some things I can't do at the moment. Knee is feeling much better, maybe the rest has done it some good so once this cold/flu has gone completely I will start to gradually test it again.

Probably 85% recovered from my sickness, hopefully I can start exercising on Tues/Weds. 

In other news I dropped over a kilo this week but body fat stayed the same, hope I'm not losing too much muscle from all these injury/sickness breaks....

Got some stuff to make mexican meatballs tomorrow, gonna fill the freezer up with paleo goodies to keep me on track. Will also be turning up the walking, trying for 100kms a month starting next week. 

Oh yeah, best news of all I got a guy in to replace all the shitty old phone sockets and cabling in my house at last. No more crackling phone lines and faster consistent interwebs w00t!

• Like 2

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Being sick has given me some perspective, well actually it's not just that, a video Dark_Raider posted on someone else's thread has also had a profound effect on me and reminded me that I shouldn't take life so seriously. I need to relax more and stop worrying about things. 

I'm... oddly honoured. That is a wonderful video indeed, glad you were so touched by it.

• Like 1

Lvl 58 Multitasker

Week 1 Summary

Weight: 81.3 (-1kg)

BF%: 19.9 (-0.4%)

Goals:
Goal 1 - Get to 17.5% Bodyfat. (CHA 5)

Dropped 0.4% so on the way
Goal 2 - Complete 4 workouts per week (STA 2, STR 2, DEX 1)

No workouts, was too sick but I did do 3 walks.
Goal 3 - Limit alcohol to max one night per week (CON 1, WIS 1)

Only 2 glasses of wine one evening
Goal 4 - 50% Paleo during the challenge, this means 10 Paleo main meals (breakfast, lunch or dinner) per week (CON 3)

Well over 10 this week.

From a goals perspective all going well. I was very ill this week so I'm pleased I managed to stay on track with nutrition, it's improved my mood too.

----------------------

Week 2 has started out well, 6km walk with the dog this morning. I think I'm going to count these walks towards my exercise goal, I'll still try to lift/wod but the walks can be a substitute since they definitely help me drop weight and after all this challenge is self confessed as all about vanity!

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Hmm, some not so great news about my wrist today, torn ligaments which I'm supposed to rest for 3-4 months. This kinda spells the end of crossfit for a while which is a bit annoying but I have to face up to it and do the right thing. Of course I immediately started pushing the boundaries of what I could do and trying to negotiate, not the right approach but a normal reaction for me in these sorts of circumstances, I hate giving up on things.

Pretty certain I'll be cancelling my crossfit membership for the time being and switching back to PT sessions only. I have a session booked with my coach on Friday and have asked for part of it to be dedicated to programming around the injury. First thoughts are that I might do a Smolov Junior or Hatch program for squats but I think they will involve front squats which I suppose I shouldn't do since they put pressure on my wrists. However I found this vid which has a good idea for using lifting straps to change the wrist position on the bar, I think this might work for front squats for me....either way it's no dynamic stuff for a while. 

This news has given me the shits somewhat because I wanted to train in a crossfit gym while I'm in London but I'm not sure now if that will be possible. I've also had to drop out of the squash comp I was supposed to be playing in. Such is life, I have to look after it now otherwise it's going to hold me back more down the line. 

Anyway I'll see what coach says on Friday and keep on walking and eating as clean as possible in the meantime. Another 6km walk done today. 

Lots of work stress at the moment, going to be a rough couple weeks but I'm on hols soon :)

Oh also, I had my "turning 40" checkup with the doctor, still waiting on a blood test for cholesterol etc. but got the all clear on everything else so that was good news. 

• Like 1

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

mmm a bit of a mix of news for you. Sorry to hear about your wrist :(  maybe you could still go to a box in London and just do a modified WOD (perhaps your PT could give you some pointers on how to modify to work around your injury?). 

Good news from the doc though. It's good to be 40 and healthy :D

"A positive attitude will not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort" - Herm Albright

My challenge

maybe you could still go to a box in London and just do a modified WOD (perhaps your PT could give you some pointers on how to modify to work around your injury?). 

Yeah I could but my male pride is getting in the way at the moment, hopefully I'll stop being silly and get over it by then ;)

Yep, that's exactly what my PT on Friday will be for. 

It's going to be interesting to hear his opinion on doing 1 armed stuff (1 armed snatch, DB press etc.) with the good arm. There is some talk in the crossfit community of referred gains where the other arm still builds muscle even though you're not working it. It might be a good opportunity anyway since it's my weaker non dominant arm that is healthy so it could be a good time to strengthen it. Need to try to pull out some positives I suppose...

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

i think that once the initial upset of your wrist wears off you'll be fine and you'll be back on the bike (albeit taking it a little slower).

My challenge

Hmm, some not so great news about my wrist today, torn ligaments which I'm supposed to rest for 3-4 months

*Rolls for Will save*

Made it... Barely. No jokes about spending time alone with a magical sword :P

Take care and let it heal. I would expect it to take some time, since the wrist is a spot that is widely used throughout the day and doesn't get much rest. Arm yourself with patience

Lvl 58 Multitasker

i think that once the initial upset of your wrist wears off you'll be fine and you'll be back on the bike (albeit taking it a little slower).

Hopefully so, I'm going to enjoy some more walking with my pup, it's a reminder that I'm lucky to live in such a beautiful area. 

*Rolls for Will save*

Made it... Barely. No jokes about spending time alone with a magical sword :tongue:

Take care and let it heal. I would expect it to take some time, since the wrist is a spot that is widely used throughout the day and doesn't get much rest. Arm yourself with patience

Thanks mate, yes I need to keep perspective and be patient. Easier said than done but I will try my best. 

bummer about the wrists. Wishes for a speedy recovery, although ligaments are crappy in that regard. 

Thanks, yes I've done some more research and it seems ligaments take ages to heal unfortunately. 

oh, injured again, darling?... am so sorry. 3-4 months is a lot of time :(

Thanks Lara, yeah injured again :( woe is me :lol:

------------------------

I really appreciate all the support, thank you  :positive:

Starting to get some perspective on my injury. I am going snowboarding in January, 3 months away and it's critical that I am recovered for that, so I must be patient and look after myself.

So must be time to get to work on my posterior chain instead, maybe I can get that 120kg back squat I've been dreaming about.... (current PR 107.5) 

I've had a look at the Smolov Junior squat program, it looks pretty brutal (not as bad as Smolov!) but I'm going to talk to my coach about it on Friday and see what he thinks. This injury might be a chance for me to try some more traditional progressive strength programming, which I've never really done before. That's actually quite exciting! 

6km walk with the dog again yesterday, followed unfortunately by a rather monster session on the beers that just sort of happened. 

Feb-March 2022 Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines