• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

thiscolincampbell

Emerging from the Icy Depths

Hello again, NF folks--- After dropping my second challenge last time, I am back to try it again-- lots of personal changes and challenges this summer have set me back quite a bit, but now as the school year starts I am ready to get back to it, Captain America style.  I really do feel like I have been hibernating for years and suddenly, I am as bewildered as Steve Rogers.

Goals:

1.  "Did you take another lap?  I asssume you just took it."

Run 6 days a week.  That's it.  Just get it done. (Con)

2. "I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

Focus on doing things that are good for me-- a wide array of things, including

*Computer off and away at 9 pm

*Therapy and meetings weekly

*Journaling and reading daily               (Wis)

3. "The food is better. They used to boil everything..."

Living alone for the first time in decades gives me an opportunity

to cook for myself.  So, I will learn how to make some tasty paleo-ish

meals.  No more pizza or Boston Market at 9 Pm.     (Int)

That's it, hope everyone has a great challenge!

• Like 2

Great challenge.  Just watched Cap. America again yesterday.  Making your own food will make such a difference.  The money saved not doing late night eating out will definitely help fund the at home healthier choices.  I am working on upping my running also but right now I am working on 4 days a week.  Someday I want to work toward 5-6.  Other than getting out for a run I have a hard time doing things good for me.  I am always doing stuff from others (family and friends).  By the time my day ends I am too tired to read, write, or anything.  I look forward to following along your progress.

Hello again, NF folks--- After dropping my second challenge last time, I am back to try it again-- lots of personal changes and challenges this summer have set me back quite a bit, but now as the school year starts I am ready to get back to it, Captain America style. I really do feel like I have been hibernating for years and suddenly, I am as bewildered as Steve Rogers.

Goals:

1. "Did you take another lap? I asssume you just took it."

Run 6 days a week. That's it. Just get it done. (Con)

2. "I know this neighborhood. I got beat up in that alley. And that parking lot. And behind that diner."

Focus on doing things that are good for me-- a wide array of things, including

*Computer off and away at 9 pm

*Therapy and meetings weekly

*Journaling and reading daily (Wis)

3. "The food is better. They used to boil everything..."

Living alone for the first time in decades gives me an opportunity

to cook for myself. So, I will learn how to make some tasty paleo-ish

meals. No more pizza or Boston Market at 9 Pm. (Int)

That's it, hope everyone has a great challenge!

Look at that, coming back with gusto. Yay!!

I'm with you on the first time living alone stuff. It's been 20 years for me. I too am trying to make cooking an important and fun part of my life. Maybe we can trade dishes? :-)

Have you any guidelines for types of runs or how far? Or are you focusing mote on getting out there and doing it?

I'm glad that therapy seems to be helping. I've been with my T for 6 years as of this year. Course I have/had lots of crud to work on. Hopefully your time in sessions will prove fruitful and meaningful.

Good luck tomorrow!!

Sub'd

Hey!! It's Colin Campbell!! :) Pretty soon your name will be as synonymous with badassery as Steve Rogers, don't worry. I'm excited to see what you can do with a school year at hand :) Have you and your students started classes yet?

Thanks, Kailer!  Badassery is what I aim for. 

Day 2, 5 miles yesterday, 4 today, all trails.  Running in the cold and the rain today was great.    Cooking as well, my housemate made pork and potaotes and Brussels sprouts last night, and I had chicken burritos before that.

I'm with you on the first time living alone stuff. It's been 20 years for me. I too am trying to make cooking an important and fun part of my life. Maybe we can trade dishes? :-)

Terit-- try this:  2 boneless porkshops, let them sit in a ziplock with carribean jerk marinade overnight.  Throw some olive oil in the bottom of a big pot, cook onions and red peppers in there until they're soft, then throw in the pork and marinade.  Stir around a few times then cover and let it cook in theliquid for 2-3 hours.

Heat oven to 350 and chop up red potatoes and onoins.  1/2 cup of oil, and 2 tbs of coconut oil, some salt and chili powder to taste.  Roast the veggies for about a half hour

Sliced tomoatoes with salt on the side.

Oh man.  It was so good!

Cheers,

C.

• Like 2

Week 1 report:

Goal 1: Run 6 days a week.  I actually ran only 5 days but got in a 10 miler on Wednesday and spent the WHOLE day walking in the climate march in NYC Sunday. 

Goal 2:  Journaling and writing:   check.  I got a copy of the Poet's market and started getting organized to try to get some of my work published by the summertime, too.  Therapy: Check. Computer off by 9 Pm, welll......  I AM writing this at midnight....   :( I have cleared out my bookmarks of all my time wasters and deleted time waster apps off my phone, and that seems ot help.

Goal 3:  Well, I made these http://www.cutthewheat.com/2014/03/crispy-tuna-cakes-with-spicy-dijon-aioli.html tonight.  And they were AWESOME.  Among other things..... Food is good.

Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers!

Colin

• Like 2

That recipe looks good.  I was not expecting pork rinds.  It sounds like you are doing pretty good.  Hey only 5 runs plus walking all day in the climate march I say is a big win.

Namesake check-in. How have things been going the last few weeks? I like the sound of week 1 so hopefully more of the same...?

ket

Hey everyone-- Weeks 2, 3 and 4 check in (I think)  !!!!!!

Still running, still in this, even though I've gone dark the past couple of weeks.

Lots of lessons learned-- so I will list them:

1. No computer after 9 Pm is an awesome thing-- it does mean, however that I don't get to post to NF very often.

2. Running the the early morning, for me, sucks.  I have had a lot more success, on days when I have not yet run, going out for a few miles at 10 pm, and sleeping that extra hour in the morning.  I spent a year now putting pressure on myself to run early, but I am just so stiff and grouchy that I often bag it, and then feel crappy the whole day.  Hacking it so I can look forweard to my runs in the evening has worked out much better.

3. Runkeeper sucks.  About half of my runs are so innacurate lately that I wind up deleting them, and fiddling with my phone for thewhole workout, worried that it isn;t recording my milage accurately.  As if it doesn't count if RK doesn't record it.  So I still use it, but silence that tinny voice and just let it be what it is, a tool.  I keep a whiteboard in the kitchen of my miles daily now. 

4. The author of the Oatmeal has nailed the reason why I run for me-- to eat.  My appetite is emormous and I have to balance eating well with time pressures and eating enough.  So some mornings I eat eggs and all paleo, others I slouch over three bowls of corn pops with almond milk and coffee.  And I try not to get catholic about it.

5.  Counselling is great.  Writing is great.  I joined a poetry writing challenge with some FB friends, writing a poem a day for October, and currently I have only missed 4 days.  I also bought the Poets' Market book and am sepnding about an hour a week getting organized for eventually publishing.

All in all, I am pretty on target, running 2-6 miles per day, keeping things together self-care wise.

Colin

• Like 1

Overall I learned a lot from this challenge!

Running-- Goal 1, just saying I will run 6 days a week was great.  When I stopped worrying about runkeeper working, how fast or slow or how far, and just got out and ran, it happened a lot more often.  I wasn't perfect 6 days a week, but much much more consistent than in the past!   +2 Con

Goal 2-- mental health and happiness-- I cut out a LOT of wasted time sink internet tendencies, got to sleep 7-8 hours a night nearly every night, and started writing actively again!  Win!  +3 Wis

Goal 3-- Food-- Less successful by the standards of eating "healthy," but definitely I am better off because I am taking responsibility for getting the stuff I like to eat into the house instead of just skipping meals because I am too depressed by the lack of choices.  I also learned a few new recipes and revived some old favorites!  +1 Int

I already have some plans for the next challenge, including a trail marathon Jan 3 and a 50 k in late February.  Also getting back to bodyweight exercises with an eye to getting up to some parkour in the spring.  And actually getting a poem or two published.

Cheeeers!

• Like 1