• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

joedog

joedog gets a wake up call

So... just got a call from the doctor's office about my physical last week. Some of my numbers were a little off. I have to go back at the end of this challenge to see if it was a fluke or if something is wrong. Most likely I was just pretty dehydrated which skewed the numbers. I knew I was dehydrated when I went in. But this is my first call back from a doc and I don't like it much. 

I'm going to make the best of it. Who else gets blood work before and after a 6 week challenge? I've got some obstacles which I've decided to view as opportunities. I've got a little added motivation. Oh and I've got a 39th birthday smack in the middle of it all. 

Goal 1) Boxing and workouts: the goal is for 3 times per week. Boxing classes, long walks or home gym bodyweight stuff counts. Trying to be realistic about my workload for this challenge and how difficult it is going to be to hit classes so I'm counting other forms of exercise too. 

Goal 2) Food part 1: Tracking on MFP and hitting the same old calorie goal. 

Goal 3) Food part 2: No junky snacks. I have relapsed again into snacking at convenience stores. Not even,"I'm peckish, I need a snack.", but "It's 4 o'clock. I eat candy bars at 4 o'clock. Oh look, candy bars are 2 for the price of 1. Let's eat 2 candy bars." And seriously, I'm not going to live to be old if I keep treating my body this way. 

• Like 7

I've set a goal for this challenge to make my annual check-up appointment and get blood tests done, because I've been putting it off until I think I can rock the blood test.  Which is just silly, because I have no baseline against which to measure improvement.  Depending on the results, I may set a future challenge goal around re-testing.  It sounds like a re-check is a smart thing for you, for this situation...in general, though, unless it's a blood factor that *can* change in six weeks, I'm not certain that checking at the beginning and the end would show a meaningful shift.  Looking forward to reading about your continuing adventures!

Sending you all the hugs, motivation and encouragement you can handle.   

I know what those doc wake up calls can be like - and you seem to be handling it with a good, solid attitude.   Seriousness, without panic.  Perfect.

Following along as ever Joedog!

I like your attitude! this challenge is in the name of SCIENCE!

(ps it's probably nothing, you know, the current blood work. if it was something they'd have called you right back in.)

Yay for birthdays in the middle of challenges! LOL!

I think you've got the right mindset - viewing the obstacles as opportunities. Makes it more rewarding when you blow 'em out of this world.

Time to rock 'n roll.

I've set a goal for this challenge to make my annual check-up appointment and get blood tests done, because I've been putting it off until I think I can rock the blood test.  Which is just silly, because I have no baseline against which to measure improvement.  Depending on the results, I may set a future challenge goal around re-testing.  It sounds like a re-check is a smart thing for you, for this situation...in general, though, unless it's a blood factor that *can* change in six weeks, I'm not certain that checking at the beginning and the end would show a meaningful shift.  Looking forward to reading about your continuing adventures!

True, I don't know how much any of it will shift in a few weeks. I will definitely be realistic about the results. Of course, the most important part is finding that I was just dehydrated and had a skewed number rather than the beginning stages of kidney disease. 

Sending you all the hugs, motivation and encouragement you can handle.   

I know what those doc wake up calls can be like - and you seem to be handling it with a good, solid attitude.   Seriousness, without panic.  Perfect.

Following along as ever Joedog!

Thanks! I'm saving panic for a better time. 

Hey joedog, sorry to hear the numbers were off but what good motivation! You can do it!

Thanks King!

Good luck with your call back!

The pollyanna view could be that at least if something is up, they've noticed and you can start finding out what to do about it.

Stay strong.

Thanks! I very much doubt if anything is wrong that can't be corrected pretty easily. 

Better to find a thing and get it fixed than to not look at all.

That's the truth! 

I like your attitude! this challenge is in the name of SCIENCE!

(ps it's probably nothing, you know, the current blood work. if it was something they'd have called you right back in.)

That's kind of what I thought. I should be getting a copy of all the reports so I can do some research on my own. I'm all about the SCIENCE! 

That is a neat opportunity.

I'm all about the metrics. I would get blood work done several times a year if I could afford it. Heh. 

It's pretty great that you'll get to see numbers before and after. That's a great motivator because you'll actually get to see how this can affect your inards. Fsck Yeah Science!

If you only knew how often I claimed I was doing something for science! Ha ha 

Yay for birthdays in the middle of challenges! LOL!

I think you've got the right mindset - viewing the obstacles as opportunities. Makes it more rewarding when you blow 'em out of this world.

Time to rock 'n roll.

I'm even getting a Guardians of the Galaxy themed birthday. There may even be bowling in a Star Lord mask. Don't worry, I'll have pics! 

• Like 1

You folks really know how to make a girl feel loved!

I'm still hashing out the details of my challenge because on top of all the stuff going on at work, I've got a dandy case of hay fever. The parts will be pretty familiar. Boxing, tracking calories and hitting a limit, drinking more water. I'll get it all fine tuned and posted in the next couple of days. 

• Like 1

Better to find a thing and get it fixed than to not look at all.

^This

You folks really know how to make a girl feel loved!

I'm still hashing out the details of my challenge because on top of all the stuff going on at work, I've got a dandy case of hay fever. The parts will be pretty familiar. Boxing, tracking calories and hitting a limit, drinking more water. I'll get it all fine tuned and posted in the next couple of days. 

That's because we <3 you.

Ugh, hay fever sucks.  Feel better, and keep on keeping on!

Who else gets blood work before and after a 6 week challenge? I've got some obstacles which I've decided to view as opportunities.

ALL OF THIS. That's an awesome opportunity to see actual physiological effects on your eating/exercise habits! WOOT!

Also,,

WHERE DA PARTAY AT???

I'm even getting a Guardians of the Galaxy themed birthday. There may even be bowling in a Star Lord mask. Don't worry, I'll have pics! 

Sounds awesome!

Subbing~

Following to keep up

Yay! 

Rock on.  That is all.

Aye aye! 

^This

That's because we <3 you.

Ugh, hay fever sucks.  Feel better, and keep on keeping on!

And now the hay fever is trying to become bronchitis. Ugghhhh! 

ALL OF THIS. That's an awesome opportunity to see actual physiological effects on your eating/exercise habits! WOOT!

Also,,

WHERE DA PARTAY AT???

I totally had a Brick Tamland moment. Would you like come to the pants party? 

Good Luck!

I look forward to seeing your challenge details :)

Thanks! 

Sounds awesome!

Subbing~

Thanks! I need to get around and check out all of the group threads! 

• Like 1

The goals are up but it was so hard this month. I'm fired up and ready to go but I've got obstacles. The hay fever is trying to settle into my lungs. So I've got a workout goal but it may get off to a slow start. So I'm going to work on food. That will help my weight loss in the long run and helps control my asthma. Seems like this year is already bad for respiratory junk so I need to do everything I can to control it. 

The last couple of days have been hectic ones at work. Both Monday and Tuesday were successes for not eating any snacks. I didn't get my tracking in. I need to work on rebuilding that habit. Tracking is such a royal flaming pain in the arse but it seems to be the only way I can manage to eat fewer calories. I've got to have that hard evidence staring at me. 

Anyway, other than this cold/hay fever/entero-ebola-culosis thing I'm rocking, I feel great. I'm so looking forward to the end of paving season so I can really focus on my training. 

It's easy to forget that the most critical part of "put your own oxygen mask first" is the OXYGEN.  I hope you're able to get breathing under control, so you can do even more awesome things!

Well, I would think that paving would be a pretty substantial workout in its own right as well, right? And if that's the case, wouldn't it make more sense to just eat according to your needs and let the work take its course? Or am I not understanding well?