Harihead's 3rd Challenge: Pushing Up the Levels!

Harihead

Hello, folks! Time to sign up for my 3rd NF challenge. I joined NF halfway through the then-going Level 1 Rebels challenge, so I did that half a challenge and then completed the next entire 6-week challenge, which I how I ended up as a brand new Ranger at Level 3. 

3 is a great level. I love being a 3! I shall honor and adore my 3-ness until I kick it over the moon because I will level up to #4!! A-hah-hahahhahahahaaaaaaaaa! 

Okay, on with the quests!

Main Quest: Return to my "Work at Home" level of fitness

After I gave up my home business in 2008 and start working in an office, I gained 65 pounds. Since starting NF 3 months ago, I've lost 20 pounds. There's plenty more to go! I'll continue to track pounds as the progress indicator, but will also track the Navy BMI rating (neck, waist, hips), overall inches, and my caliper measurements (which I don't trust yet but hope will get better at as I practice. I'm also going to ask the folks at Camp Nerd Fitness how to use them properly).  

InchesDown 3 inches off my waist and 3 off my hips since mid-July

Pounds: Down 20 out of 65 (31% of main quest)

Navy BMI: 40% body fat (down from 47%)

Calipers: 26mm = 36% body fat (down from 31mm or 38%)

Fitness Round-up: Status

I swam all but 4 days (while I was home) since my pool opened May 24. Alas, it closes this Sunday! So I'll have to find some other regular cardio to do during winter. Looks like I'll be Walking to Mordor in the gray morning light. 

Since joining NF, I do body-weight workouts 3x a week. Stats at end of Challenge #2:

Squats: 8/9/9 full, remainder assisted (chair, 15/16/15 per set)

Pushups: 6/8/6 knee, remainder incline (11 per set, plus one "reverse" pushup at start of set)

Lunges: 5/4/3 proper, remainder assisted (10 per leg per set)

Dumbbell rows: 13x3 at 18 pounds

Plank: 35/35/30 seconds 

Below were my starting stats from my first Recruit workout, for comparison:

Squats: 10/7/5 full, remainder assisted

Pushups: 10 wall, 10 incline, 10 knee

Lunges: 20x3 assisted

Dumbbell rows: 10x3 18 pounds

Plank: 20/20/15 seconds

Fitness Challenge #3: Do a proper pushup 

Last challenge, I trained myself up to do a proper lunge, despite a knee injury. Since that was clearly impossible, for Challenge #3, I want to do a proper pushup during my workout. This is also clearly impossible, so a great goal!

Health Round-up: Status

I will continue my paleo diet optimized for adrenal fatigue. I also think keeping my sugar (from any source) below 50 grams/day really assists my weight loss and avoids spiking my blood sugar. I will continue to track sugar in my food log, but it won't be part of the challenge because I'm going to tackle diary again-- and succeed!

Health Challenge #3: No more than 7 servings of dairy per week

I think my metrics were wrong last challenge. I aimed for <= 1 serving per day. When I couldn't control my diet (travel), I'd get all sorts of double or triple hits on dairy, despite being nearly dairy free most of the time. This time, I'm going to track it as <= 7 servings per week. That will allow the dairy-free abundance to make up for the few days I can't control.  In theory. We'll see. ;)

Life Quest: Status

I need to get my work/life balance back in alignment. Creative writing is an important outlet for me. I'm tired of having it pushed aside due to work or volunteer commitments. I did moderately well last challenge, so this time, I'm going to up the ante by 1 hour. 

Life Quest Challenge #3: Write 3 hours a week 

I want this goal to be achievable. 3 hours of actually producing or editing fiction is a stretch, because I also need "think time" so that the fiction can happen. However, this is important to me, so I'm going to try to have fiction shoulder aside some of those urgent commitments that I really don't care about in the grand scheme of things. 

Scoring: Award or decrement accordingly

G1: A=lose 5+ pounds, B=3-4, C=1-2, else fail -----> CHA +3

G2: A=10+ proper pushups per workout, B=5-10, C=1-5, else fail -----> STR +3

G3: A=5/6 success, B=4/6, C=3/6, else fail -----> CON +3

G4: A=6/6 success, B=5/6, C=4/6, else fail -----> WIS +3

Walk to Mordor: A=39-42, B=34-38, C=30-33, else return to Bag End! -----> STA +3

I'm going to leave my old progress indicators up until Monday. Then I'll zero out the bars and set up for the new. I want to be reminded of what I've accomplished this last challenge, as well as recognize the new challenges I'm setting myself up for. 

Good luck, fellow Challengers!

• Like 5

Level 9 Ranger

STR 13 | DEX 10 | STA 21 | CON 19 | WIS 20 | CHA 15

ChallengesCurrent 1 2 3 | 4 | 5 6 7 7.5 8 9 | 10 | 11 | 11.5 | 12  | 13 | 14  

Groups:  | Rangers Walk to Mordor

Nerd Fitness Academy level: 0 | Starting over

Eat clean, walk strong, age gracefully with joy. 

WOOT WOOT Harihead! Awesome challenge goals! :triumphant:

Hey, I'm going to be walking for my challenge, maybe I will join you on that walk to Mordor!  :D

Sub'd and following my friend! :)

• Like 2

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Sorry.......double post.....stupid tablet.  :P

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.

Stares in awe at the Level 3er. Thinks to self, 'That'll be me next time!' :tongue:

Wow! I don't think I've ever inspired awe before. *preens * buffs up cutlass to a deadly sheen*

Welcome, Fellow CutLass! Argh, we shall be taking ships and booty a-plenty before this challenge ends. Fear us, oh (whoever we want to fear us; I've got a couple of good candidates). 

I'm glad the new challenge has started, because I do appreciate that accountability. I must say, the regular workouts are really starting to pay off.

Due to my knee injury, I hardly hiked at all this summer. Yesterday I picked a nice 6.5-mile hike to get my "5 mile hike" quest accomplished over at the Nerd Fitness Academy. Um, the Internet was wrong (hard to believe). I hiked 8 miles (per the local signs and map). All accidentally! It was fairly steep, just 200-feet short of an official "peak climb" in elevation gain, but spread out enough over the distance to be doable. Today, I'm not sore at all!!! This is a major fitness milestone. Yay, Nerd Fitness!

http://www.protrails.com/trail/396/summit-county-eagle-county-clear-creek-county-herman-lake

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

Hey, I'm going to be walking for my challenge, maybe I will join you on that walk to Mordor!   :D

Thanks, Ash! That would be terrific!

I like having a "first thing in the morning workout" that I can do fasted. I think I'll start with 15 minutes and work my way up to 30, to make sure my knee and ankle can take it. The pool is wonderful-- no stress on the joints. I'm afraid my skeleton is my weak point. But I am tempted to walk to Mordor. I should add that as a side quest, just for fun!

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Lol, well now you've just inspired jealousy! :P That's beautiful!

Thanks, Ash! That would be terrific!

I like having a "first thing in the morning workout" that I can do fasted. I think I'll start with 15 minutes and work my way up to 30, to make sure my knee and ankle can take it. The pool is wonderful-- no stress on the joints. I'm afraid my skeleton is my weak point. But I am tempted to walk to Mordor. I should add that as a side quest, just for fun!

My workouts are always first thing in the morning as well. Day gets too full otherwise. ;)

I'll also be doing 15-30 min. I need to go read again how to keep track of the walk to Mordor. And yes, with my knee still healing, walking was my first option. :)

Awesome job on the hike!  :)

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

I'll also be doing 15-30 min. I need to go read again how to keep track of the walk to Mordor. And yes, with my knee still healing, walking was my first option. :)

Awesome job on the hike!   :)

Thanks, Ash! The hike was truly awesome, perfect weather, still some wildflowers giving way to alpine tundra near the peak, and an awesome cirque at the end with waterfalls and gorgeous autumn color. 

Okay, I read up on the Mordor walk also. You know, those hobbits covered some distance! All on their little legs. But they're English, and exceedingly tough. :) The official Walk to Mordor post is here

I downloaded the tracking spreadsheet from that post, and am ready to begin! I have decided to map my distances using the built-in walking tool on my phone. It's not, in fact, insanely accurate. However, I usually have my phone and it's free, so at least I'll be consistent. :)

• Like 2

Level 9 Ranger

Awesome goals. Looking forward to your updates.

Thanks, DP! We shall cheer each other on. :)

• Like 1

Level 9 Ranger

Thanks, Ash! The hike was truly awesome, perfect weather, still some wildflowers giving way to alpine tundra near the peak, and an awesome cirque at the end with waterfalls and gorgeous autumn color. 

Okay, I read up on the Mordor walk also. You know, those hobbits covered some distance! All on their little legs. But they're English, and exceedingly tough. :) The official Walk to Mordor post is here

I downloaded the tracking spreadsheet from that post, and am ready to begin! I have decided to map my distances using the built-in walking tool on my phone. It's not, in fact, insanely accurate. However, I usually have my phone and it's free, so at least I'll be consistent. :)

Lol, them hobbits shall be a good inspiration then, because I'm probably hobbit size myself.  :P

I'll have to get the spreadsheet.....I have a kindle fire tablet.....Need to see if there is an app I can use for tracking. Hmmmm....

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Ooh, a proper push up is one of my eventual goals too. It will be great to watch your progress on this! :panda:

Here is my progress:

1. Assume plank position. 

2. Start to lower self to floor.

3. Fall-- kersplat! 

I expect this will go on for several weeks. But eventually, I should be able to lower myself without falling. When that happens, I'll start working on the up. :)

I'll have to get the spreadsheet.....I have a kindle fire tablet.....Need to see if there is an app I can use for tracking. Hmmmm....

An app-- what a good idea!

For me, it's easier tracking things with pen&paper, because I will get busy and not check in online, and then I'll forget. So I'll enter my daily walk in my food log (which I always have in my purse) and update the spreadsheet when I have a chance to catch up (typically weekly). 

I did my walk today! I logged 5.3 miles. I have officially walked from Bag End to The Green Dragon in Bywater. I am now relaxing with a golden glass of Pinot Grigio, because everyone knows that hobbits are very big on wine. (I'm not a beer or ale person; I so fail at this.) I have Sam and Frodo here with me, and they're drinking ale and cider, so I hope it will turn out okay. 

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

Here is my progress:

2. Start to lower self to floor.

3. Fall-- kersplat! 

I expect this will go on for several weeks. But eventually, I should be able to lower myself without falling. When that happens, I'll start working on the up. :)

Ahh, that's not too far from my technique, which is:

2. Lower self to floor.

3. Remain lowered in perfect form.

4. Collapse, unable to push self back up due to noodle arms.

Congrats on your 5.3! ^.^
  • Like 2

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

An app-- what a good idea!

For me, it's easier tracking things with pen&paper, because I will get busy and not check in online, and then I'll forget. So I'll enter my daily walk in my food log (which I always have in my purse) and update the spreadsheet when I have a chance to catch up (typically weekly). 

I did my walk today! I logged 5.3 miles. I have officially walked from Bag End to The Green Dragon in Bywater. I am now relaxing with a golden glass of Pinot Grigio, because everyone knows that hobbits are very big on wine. (I'm not a beer or ale person; I so fail at this.) I have Sam and Frodo here with me, and they're drinking ale and cider, so I hope it will turn out okay. 

Lol, pen and paper! A person after my own heart.  ;)  I don't generally carry anything on me when I walk, but I will probably have to for the kindle so an app would be handy.  :)

Looks like you'll have a head start on me as I won't officially start until MONDAY with my training program.

Yay on the walk!  Give Sam and Frodo my regards. ;)

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Walk to Mordor: http://www.shirepost.com/ShireMapLarge.html

Day 2: 3.2  miles, headed out of Bywater toward the Oatbarton Rd. (about 10 miles from Bywater, +10 after that to Frogmorton). I'm strongly considering picnicking at the Three Farthing Stone. 

Day 1: 5.3 miles. Walked from Bag End to The Green Dragon in Bywater. Had some lovely sparkling cider with Frodo and Sam. 

• Like 3

Level 9 Ranger

The link isn't working for me. Is it my tablet?  :nonchalance:

:encouragement:  Good job! A picnic sounds nice! ;)

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Yes, picnicking is very hobbit and very "this weekend", at my writers retreat in the mountains. 

Here's the link again-- it's high-res:  http://www.shirepost.com/ShireMapLarge.html

• Like 4

Level 9 Ranger

Ah.... thank you!  :encouragement:

It's raining here.....not so good for picnics.  :P 

• Like 2

Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

Ahoy fellow cut lass! Checking in to say hello and to say that ye goals look awesome! Give're hell this week, ye'll do awesome!!! Subbed.

• Like 2

Level: 8   Race: Wood Elf   Class: Ranger at Heart -  Training with the Adventurers

Current Adventure: A New Hope

Past Challenges: 1st  âœ² 2nd âœ² 3rd ✲ 4th ✲ 5th âœ² 6th âœ² 7th  âœ² 8th âœ² 9th

“I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams†- Eleventh Doctor

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines