Chelkie Prepares for the Dark Times

Chelkie

It’s officially September and in Alaska that means the sun is starting to lose ground every day. This has a way of sapping my motivation to do anything but snuggle my kitten. (He’s hairless, so he needs the warmth!) My main goal has always been the same thing, work hard and feel better about myself. I’ve had a rocky year, and I lost my way a bit. It’s hard to remember why working out is so good for you after you haven’t been in a while and are feeling mopey. The funny thing is all it takes is working out to get you not mopey, but you never really see that when you’re in it.

A few shorter term goals I have revolve around life events and vacations. Mostly looking and feeling good while being a bridesmaid at my friend’s wedding (sept 20) on my epic Japan adventure (Oct 10) and during my family Mexico trip (Jan 2). Bridesmaid’s dresses are never flattering, so I don’t have much hope for that, but Japan should be warm and the friend I’m going with loves to take pictures, and Mexico I will living in a bikini.

Anyways, for this particular challenge I’m going to be running it from Sept 8 – Oct 20, which is one week shifted from what everyone else is doing. I’m doing this because I’m taking a two week vacation to Japan right smack in the middle of the challenge, and I know I won’t be able to do as much during that time. Doing it this way will give me a whole extra week at home to work on my goals. Not that I will be slacking in Japan though! I’ve already got several hikes planned as well as a bunch of sightseeing that will require walking, but I’m also going to be eating like a fiend. I mean, come on. Unlimited Japanese food? It’s going to be glorious.

Going too gung-ho is always my biggest flaw with these challenges, so I’ve been trying to keep things simple.

Goal 1: Eat within my calorie/protein goal

I use MFP to track this, and I’ve been shooting for around 1200 calories/60g protein

Goal 2: Get Through at least 18 Zombies, Run! Missions 

Pretty much the same thing as run 3x a week, but I’m really excited about making it through the story, so this is better motivation.

Goal 3: Continue strength gains on 5x5 program

Recently started the 5x5 program and I’m really liking it so far, except I don’t feel like I’m doing enough, 3 lifts a day seems like so few! I’ve heard good things about it though, so I’ll stick with it for a while. I’ve already got some gains in my lifts.

Life Goal: Get everything sorted for leaving on vacation

I’ve got a lot of work piled up that I need to get through before I can take two weeks off, so I’ll need to be working even more overtime these next 5 weeks to get everything caught up. I also need to get my last minute vacation planning done, and get things at my house sorted.

69.03%
69.03%
Eat Within My Calorie Goals - Daily

44.43%
44.43%
18 Zombie Run Missions

83.32%
83.32%
Gain Strength - Weekly
  • Like 1

Level 11 - World's Smallest Norn

Challenges: | Current |11 |10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 

Alright, Monday morning update.

I did moderately well my first week, only got to the gym twice, but I made some gains on my lifts and I got through 2 episodes of Zombies, Run. I ate really well all week but I slipped a bit over the weekend, nothing too bad though. This upcoming week is wedding week, so i'll try to really put my nose to the grindstone. 

For my life quest I got 12hrs of overtime in at work, which was hard but I got a pretty good amount of catching up done. I also cleaned up a little around the house, swept (the cat was verrrrrrry interested in helping me with this, by attacking the broom every time I dragged it towards me) and did some laundry. This upcoming week I need to focus on getting my dress from the tailors, find a picture of a hairstyle I want for the wedding, and work more crazy overtime. Also, hitting the gym at least 3x is key!

Hit the gym yesterday and it felt fantastic!

I think I may need to tweek my squat form though, I really felt it in my lower back and less in my legs. To the youtube videos! I do like 5x5 though because every time you lift you get to make progress, though I make signficantly more progress in my squats and deadlifts than I do in my overhead presses and bench press. Fail girly upper body. 

It's a general upper body failure- for everyone. My upper body is coming along better now, but it's nowhere near what my legs can do. Keep that back arched and stick out that butt. I'm no squat expert, but that makes a big difference when I get lazy on my squats.

I love 5x5 because powering through 5 reps is a something I can get my brain to push through. When I get my third rep in and everything is feeling done, I can tell myself "One more after this one!" If I'm doing 10 reps and the third one starts hurting, there's no self talk that's going to get me through 7 more reps.

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Goal 1: Eat within my calorie/protein goal

I use MFP to track this, and I’ve been shooting for around 1200 calories/60g protein

Goal 2: Get Through at least 18 Zombies, Run! Missions 

Pretty much the same thing as run 3x a week, but I’m really excited about making it through the story, so this is better motivation.

Goal 3: Continue strength gains on 5x5 program

Recently started the 5x5 program and I’m really liking it so far, except I don’t feel like I’m doing enough, 3 lifts a day seems like so few! I’ve heard good things about it though, so I’ll stick with it for a while. I’ve already got some gains in my lifts.

woo!  ZR, moar protein and 5x5... awesome goals.

I think I may need to tweek my squat form though, I really felt it in my lower back and less in my legs. To the youtube videos! I do like 5x5 though because every time you lift you get to make progress, though I make signficantly more progress in my squats and deadlifts than I do in my overhead presses and bench press. Fail girly upper body. 

Fail pretty much most of humanity actually.  The good news is you don't need to OHP (which is my kryptonite) all that much for it to make a big big difference.  Lots of people bench while not doing the other stuff so my bench is substantially behind a lot of people at my gyms ... while summing up the big 3 I blow them out the water.  Are you keeping your core fully engaged?  easier to keep good form going and an absolute requirement (for me) once I get above a certain %age on 1RM.    And Legs > Arms.  Because science.  :)

. Keep that back arched and stick out that butt. 

I'm trying to keep my mind out the gutter, but you ain't making it easy.

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

Not sure if it was buzz or woody that said it though.

Spartan double trifecta progess:

100%
100%

Tough Mudder "10 x Legionnaire":

100.0%
100.0%
"Run ALL the things or die tryin'"
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Previously Completed: Spartan Trifecta, Enough TM Headbands to make a ski mask

It’s hard to remember why working out is so good for you after you haven’t been in a while and are feeling mopey. The funny thing is all it takes is working out to get you not mopey, but you never really see that when you’re in it.

This is so true! You know how good it feels when you're doing it, but it's the easiest thing to forget, for some reason.

Have fun at the wedding this weekend! I am muy jealous of your big Japan trip... I hope you know we'll be expecting pics here :)

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

It's a general upper body failure- for everyone. My upper body is coming along better now, but it's nowhere near what my legs can do. Keep that back arched and stick out that butt. I'm no squat expert, but that makes a big difference when I get lazy on my squats.

I love 5x5 because powering through 5 reps is a something I can get my brain to push through. When I get my third rep in and everything is feeling done, I can tell myself "One more after this one!" If I'm doing 10 reps and the third one starts hurting, there's no self talk that's going to get me through 7 more reps.

Well I watched a multitude of youtube videos and it looks like i'm doing them properly, but I will definitely try your advice tonight when I lift again and see if it feels any better. 

I feel the same way! Especially as the weight is getting heavier, i'm like itsonly5itsonly5itsonly5. 

Maledictus - Stupid science, I want to be able to lift trucks! I honestly have no idea if I am or not, I think about it, but when someone says "keep your core tight" i'm not really sure what they mean, keep your stomach in? Also your not the only one who snickered a little at Quirky's comment. 

Fonzico - I think it's like giving birth, apparently everyone forgets immediately after having a baby how terrible it is, because they go and do it again. I immediately forget after I workout how awesomely euphoric feeling is until I do it again and then i'm like "ooooh, that's why I was doing this regularly." Pictures from Japan? Ha! I'm definitely not going to take like 5000 pictures or anything...well okay probably, so i'll see what I can do.

Xena - Yeah, I know that when I try to make really strict goals about running it always goes sideways, so I thought i'd try something new. I'm probably going to end up having to run a whole week in a row at the end of the challenge just to make them up though. I'm going to Japan on vacation with a penpal friend I know in Australia. We have a fairly new tradition of traveling somewhere cool once every other year together, it's a lot fun. Were going to go to Tokyo, Hakone/Mt Fuji, Hiroshima,Nara,Osaka, Kyoto and Miyajima and stay about a day or two in each except Tokyo where we're spending 3 days. I'm so happy about the bullet trains, last time we traveled around Australia together and we had to take a bunch of commuter flights, wayyy more stressful. I'm a bit freaked out about the language barrier, when you went was it a big deal?

Maledictus - Stupid science, I want to be able to lift trucks! I honestly have no idea if I am or not, I think about it, but when someone says "keep your core tight" i'm not really sure what they mean, keep your stomach in? Also your not the only one who snickered a little at Quirky's comment. 

there's a reason why people advise going the toilet before lifting heavy.  One good way of seeing how/why you do this (my old coach taught me this trick) is to set up a squat of more than your 1RM (works with deads as well but doesn't look as impressive).  Don't try to squat it, just get under it and try to get it off the bar without taking it anywhere.  You'll feel like your guts are trying to explode out.  You're essentially trying to brace against that feeling.  Then put it right back down before you hurt yourself. :).  You'll get the same gut wrenching feeling with deadlifts but it will look like you're doing nothing...

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself" -- Tolstoy

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

fitocracy Ogre Magi Lvl 16 Ranger STR: 38|DEX: 58|STA: 59|baCON: 34|WIS: 30|CHA: 30

Xena - Yeah, I know that when I try to make really strict goals about running it always goes sideways, so I thought i'd try something new. I'm probably going to end up having to run a whole week in a row at the end of the challenge just to make them up though. I'm going to Japan on vacation with a penpal friend I know in Australia. We have a fairly new tradition of traveling somewhere cool once every other year together, it's a lot fun. Were going to go to Tokyo, Hakone/Mt Fuji, Hiroshima,Nara,Osaka, Kyoto and Miyajima and stay about a day or two in each except Tokyo where we're spending 3 days. I'm so happy about the bullet trains, last time we traveled around Australia together and we had to take a bunch of commuter flights, wayyy more stressful. I'm a bit freaked out about the language barrier, when you went was it a big deal?

I've definitely had to "cram" at the end of a challenge before. As long as you don't set yourself up for injury, it can be pretty fun.

Your Japan trip sounds awesome! My trip was a work conference and were really well taken care up, so I didn't really need to speak any Japanese. There were some funny moments gesturing in restaurants, and I was a little nervous about running into colleagues in the onsen (luckily didn't happen), but nothing too major.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

there's a reason why people advise going the toilet before lifting heavy.  One good way of seeing how/why you do this (my old coach taught me this trick) is to set up a squat of more than your 1RM (works with deads as well but doesn't look as impressive).  Don't try to squat it, just get under it and try to get it off the bar without taking it anywhere.  You'll feel like your guts are trying to explode out.  You're essentially trying to brace against that feeling.  Then put it right back down before you hurt yourself. :).  You'll get the same gut wrenching feeling with deadlifts but it will look like you're doing nothing...

I was all ready and raring to go (aka I went to the bathroom first) and I couldn't get at the squat machine the entire time I was at the gym! Freaking group of muscley dudes hogging the only squat machine doing weighted shoulder shrugs. Doh. I think i'm going to try some of the other branches in the gym chain I go to, I feel like goldilocks. No gym is ever quite perfect!

I've definitely had to "cram" at the end of a challenge before. As long as you don't set yourself up for injury, it can be pretty fun.

Your Japan trip sounds awesome! My trip was a work conference and were really well taken care up, so I didn't really need to speak any Japanese. There were some funny moments gesturing in restaurants, and I was a little nervous about running into colleagues in the onsen (luckily didn't happen), but nothing too major.

I'm hoping these next three weeks before I leave and after my friends wedding this weekend i'll be able to start putting more time into the gym and doing my zombies run missions. HA! Yeah, the Onsen are definitely a concern...they sound amazing, but I can't say i've ever bathed naked in public before. I imagine that will be what a lot of my trip is like, I did try to book ryokan that seemed english friendly so hopefully they will be more likely to speak enough english to point us in the right direction for sightseeing. Worse comes to worse i've got a little translation book and i'll buy a compass. :P

• Like 1

Xena - I definitely plan on trying everything, food in particular! Mmm japanese food. Also we're going to stay in one of those capsule hotels for a night, do many a temple hike, sit in for a tea ceremony, and visit an island populated only with cats. Should be a pretty awesome trip.

So far this week has went well, got in two good solid days at the gym, upped my weight on my deadlifts and ran a 5k twice. Been trying to track my runs inside on the treadmill with my Zombies, Run app on steps setting, but its been really inaccurate, so I guess that is out. Where does everyone else keep track of their mileage?

Tonight is wedding dress rehearsal and tomorrow is the wedding, so i'm not going to have much time to workout this weekend. Going to try to squeeze one in sunday night, but i'm giving that a 50/50 chance of actually happening. 

Have a great weekend my fellow NFers!

• Like 1

Monday Morning Update!

Last week went pretty well overall. Got to the gym twice and ran two zombies run missions and increased my weight on my deadlift. I ate pretty well and logged my meals until the weekend where I ate more than normal because of the wedding. I also got more things sorted for my vacation. Ordered some stuff online that i've been putting off for the cat and the house, and also I ordered a travel bag which hopefully works for my Japan trip. Most importantly my friends wedding is out of the way, so that's a big relief. It was a beautiful wedding and I had a ton of fun, but it's nice not to have to commit any more time to stuff. 

This week is going to be all about working out, need to put in my three workouts or more to catch up a bit for only doing two for the past two weeks. I've also got to finish up this lingering work I've got to get done before my vacation, the plan is to work until 6pm every night and then hit the gym. 

Xena - Yeah a place online I can keep track of how long and how far I ran, when I ran outside I would just use Nike+ and gps but my phone on my arm doesn't give very accurate steps/distance on the treadmill. That or the treadmill is wacky, but considering I use a different one almost every time I go to the gym, I think it's my phone.

Hey Chelkie,

Looking like a good challenge so far. I think apps using pace counters are pretty inaccurate, though maybe they've come a long way over the years. You're likely better to just rely on the treadmill stats and log them online afterward. I use RunKeeper and I know they have a manual log option, but I have to think most ones do.

Heh heh. Ooops. Totally not intended that way, but on the other hand, I don't see how I could type some thing like that and NOT mean something completely wrong. :)

Quirky DM

My Battle Log: QuirkyDM going Quazy

"Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure."

Hey Chelkie,

Looking like a good challenge so far. I think apps using pace counters are pretty inaccurate, though maybe they've come a long way over the years. You're likely better to just rely on the treadmill stats and log them online afterward. I use RunKeeper and I know they have a manual log option, but I have to think most ones do.

Heh heh. Ooops. Totally not intended that way, but on the other hand, I don't see how I could type some thing like that and NOT mean something completely wrong. :)

Quirky - I've only ever used Nike+ to track my current runs and don't remember seeing anything like a manual add, but i'm sure your right, they have to have one. I'll look into Runkeeper too, I know a few people who run using it but i've never really done much research. 

Had a very successful gym day yesterday. Increased my weight on my squats (Quirky was right, I stuck out my butt more and I started to feel them in my legs and not my back.) I still haven't done the core thing Maledictus suggested, as there was a large crowd of people in the gym last night and I didn't want to potentially get squished like a bug with an audience. Shall try it Friday night when not a soul ventures into the gym. 

It really is sad how quickly cardio stamina goes away, I took a break from running this summer and I still can't run for 30min straight again. It gets a little bit better every time I run, but I miss the days of a 24min 5k. 

Had a very successful gym day yesterday. Increased my weight on my squats (Quirky was right, I stuck out my butt more and I started to feel them in my legs and not my back.) I still haven't done the core thing Maledictus suggested, as there was a large crowd of people in the gym last night and I didn't want to potentially get squished like a bug with an audience. Shall try it Friday night when not a soul ventures into the gym.

It really is sad how quickly cardio stamina goes away, I took a break from running this summer and I still can't run for 30min straight again. It gets a little bit better every time I run, but I miss the days of a 24min 5k.

Please reconsider. At a point when you're picking up more than you do full ROM with is *exactly* when you want a lot of people around. Unless there's a safety cage you can bail on. I normally just stick 200kg on and get the bar up and then down (so sort of calf raises). There's no way I'd do it outside of a safety cage or with any sort of additional moment involved.

And I miss the times of sub 24 minute 5ks. Of course in my case that would be "that time I was wearing inline skates"

• Like 1

100%
100%

100.0%
100.0%
110%
110%

Please reconsider. At a point when you're picking up more than you do full ROM with is *exactly* when you want a lot of people around. Unless there's a safety cage you can bail on. I normally just stick 200kg on and get the bar up and then down (so sort of calf raises). There's no way I'd do it outside of a safety cage or with any sort of additional moment involved.

And I miss the times of sub 24 minute 5ks. Of course in my case that would be "that time I was wearing inline skates"

No safety cage, but my boyfriend always goes with me to the gym, so he will be around to help lest I be squished like a bug. I'd much prefer his help than the slew of bros drinking out of gallon water jugs and doing shoulder shrugs in the squat rack that normally pervade the weight room. Don't worry, safety first!

Haha never any sub 24 minute 5k's >.> more like just barrrely 24min 5k's. Inline skates! Awww I haven't thought of those since I was a kid and the roller rink was like, the coolest thing ever. 

Only been the gym once this week, i've caught the cold that seems to be going around. Was bound to happen sooner or later, I have a crappy immune system. Hopefully i'm well enough by the weekend to cram several workouts in. On an unrelated note, just had a 6.2 earthquake here in Anchorage, AK. I was born and raised so nothing special to me, but it's always rather fun, especially to watch the newbies run around screaming trying to find a doorway to get in. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines