Balmung: Let's See You Grit Those Teeth!

Balmung the Tyro

So...my last challenge ended with mixed feelings. It was overall somewhat of a success, but not entirely what I would have liked. It was a classic case of "too much too soon", which is, I'm sad to say, a mistake I make FAR too often. Also, I had to change my approach to what I did succeed in, which means I simplified everything. Rather than many different meals, I now eat the same 3 meals every day of the week, with some variety on the weekends. My workout schedule has shifted to all morning/mid-day rather than having an evening workout, but I still maintain 4 workouts per day. My reading goals were a total flop, and are making a comeback this time around. Anyways, enough being mopey, let's get on with the next challenge: LET'S SEE YOU GRIT THOSE TEETH!

tumblr_m37vfjwMVF1r8tyjfo1_500.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed the previous challenge being themed (it also turned my on to Firefly), so I'm going to continue the trend. This one will be based around Gurren Lagann. And if you've never seen it, you're doing something wrong with your life, and you must go watch it immediately.

GOAL 1: I'm bringing my reading goal back from the previous challenge. Again, I'm working on simplifying my challenges, so I'm going with three books instead of 6. Those books will be Robert Greene's Mastery, John Romaniello's Man 2.0, and Modules for Manhood by Kenneth W. Royce

GOAL 2: Cut the cokes down. My plan for this goal is to ween myself off each week. For the first week, I'll make the change to just one a day. Then I'll pull off one day a week that I can drink a coke, with the result being by week six, I only have a coke on the weekends.

GOAL 3: Take some friggin photos and videos. I keep posting about taking photos/videos of my workouts and what-not, but I never do. So I'm making it one of my challenge goals to record at least one workout a week, and I'll do before-week x-after pictures. I'm still working on continuing to increase the intensity of my workouts, and I'm not quite at the body composition I would like. Hopefully this will help keep me on track and give me some motivation.

LIFE GOAL: "Now is the time to cast off the boy you used to be."  I often have a "poor pitiful me" mentality when I don't want to do something that I should, and spend a lot of time trying to justify why I don't have to do it, and as a result, I typically procrastinate far beyond any feasible or acceptable amount. My life goal is to, by the end of this challenge, turn my internal dialogue around. I plan on doing this two different ways: 1) before I go do something, I'll watch a short inspirational/motivational video (I have TONS stored on my phone) to get myself pumped, and 2) talk to myself like more positively. The way I talk to myself would make even the most seasoned sailors blush, and not in a good way.

who%2Bthe%2Bhell%2Bdo%2Byou%2Bthink%2Bi%

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

STR: 8   STA: 10

AGI: 10   WIS: 5

CON: 7   CHA: 4

We must DARE to be GREAT;

and we must realize that GREATNESS is

the FRUIT of TOIL and SACRIFICE and HIGH COURAGE

Go for it!

I'm still in awe of your 4 workouts a day concept.

Thanks! It's a regimen that works for me. I like to be extremely active. Not

Kamina isn't dead.

f0b81746f9f406bd724ab7299e362d094997b1a2

SQUEEEEEEE

GREAT theme choice, one of my all time fav animes!

When an anime gives you chills every single episode (I'm being quite literal, here), it is truly epic.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

I bought Mastery some time ago, and I still haven't gotten started on it. Tell me what you think. I liked the other three. The one with 50 Cent was not as good though.

How about making it a point to eventually make a training video of yourself? Call me a narcissist, but I rather enjoy watching myself train. (Maybe that's why many people like training in front of a mirror so much.)

Your life goal is pretty cool.  Procrastination issues and changing mindset are really interesting to me.  Will you document that one with links and things?

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

Glad to see you back!  You tried Firefly for us, I will try Gurren Lagann for you. 

Another one with workouts so solidly settled they're focusing on life goals :-)

I'll let you know now that you are about to receive a massive influx of awesome. And yeah, my last challenge was pretty dedicated to getting myself some solid habits built, and this one is about getting my life on track. Although, I've had an interesting development happen this weekend that most likely will change my life (for the better), but I don't want to get into any details for fear of jinxing it.

I bought Mastery some time ago, and I still haven't gotten started on it. Tell me what you think. I liked the other three. The one with 50 Cent was not as good though.

How about making it a point to eventually make a training video of yourself? Call me a narcissist, but I rather enjoy watching myself train. (Maybe that's why many people like training in front of a mirror so much.)

Can do. I typically type up a 1-page summary whenever I finish a book, it helps me process and prioritize the information. As for the video, I suppose I could, though I can't stand to watch myself train. I see all the things I did wrong, or could have done better, and I end up pretty pissed off at myself. But, it is one of my goals, so I will have do deal with it.

Your life goal is pretty cool.  Procrastination issues and changing mindset are really interesting to me.  Will you document that one with links and things?

I hadn't planned on it, but I most certainly can . I typically update every day, so what I can do is post links to the motivational videos I use that day, along with a short post on my progress with it at the end of each week.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

So, late post for my results of Day 1, but here goes:

READING: Check! Made it through the prologue and the first chapter. The prologue was a little dry in places, but had good information overall. Chapter one had me hooked. I'm feeling like this is going to be a very beneficial read.

CUT THE COKES: Check. One coke, with lunch. I'm feeling that me having my coke at lunch is going to do two things. One, it will give me the rest of the day to "burn it off", so to speak, to get the caffeine out of my system, and two, it will ultimately result in less cravings during the evening/night time, which is always a good thing.

PHOTOS AND VIDEOS: Ok, so I have my body composition photos taken, and now I must simply put them up. Still a little hesitant about it, but I really don't have anything to lose. Videos have not been taken yet, simply due to the fact that it slipped my mind yesterday.

LIFE GOAL: So, I'm at the phase where I'll say something EXTREMELY derogatory and unnecessarily harsh to myself, and then say it again in a much nicer way. I kinda feel like I have a devil and angel on my shoulders talking to me now...,... As far as motivation, I've been using Admiral McRaven's Commencement Speech in the mornings when I'm getting ready to go for my run:

"turn my internal dialogue"

LOVE it! :)

Awesome goals!

Thanks!

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Good first day. It always sucks when a book starts slow, but fortunately it seems you managed to get around that. I hope it turns around to something more positive for you, then.

Also, yeah, that internal monologue. It's got more power than I care to admit, but there it is. Hope things get better for you there.

Day 2:

READING: Partway through chapter 2. The book is quite interesting, but I was feeling pretty restless tonight, so I didn't get much reading done.

COKES: Actually did not have one today. I had some Spark with my lunch today, and really wasn't feeling a coke at all, so I didn't drink one. Kinda craving one now, but I know that if I drink it, I'll be up much later than I would like to be, so I shall abstain for the evening.

PHOTOS/VIDEOS: Still haven't gotten around to posting the photos I have taken, and still no video yet. I really should just set my phone in a corner and let it record for my next workout. That would eliminate the issue all-together.

INTERNAL MONOLOGUE: I continue to berate myself when I feel like I fall short on something (particularly my workouts), which will probably be my biggest struggle to overcome. I either berate myself or I make excuses for why I had poor performance, and then I berate myself for making excuses....it's a pretty vicious cycle. Anyways, was feeling pretty motivated today, so other than my usual morning video (posted above), I didn't require any additional sources of motivation.

Good first day. It always sucks when a book starts slow, but fortunately it seems you managed to get around that. I hope it turns around to something more positive for you, then.

Also, yeah, that internal monologue. It's got more power than I care to admit, but there it is. Hope things get better for you there.

It's looking like it will be. I'll have a book report linked up when I finish the book, if you'd care to read it. And I agree with the internal monologue thing. It really affects how I feel about myself, particularly in situations where I may not always be comfortable (i.e., social situations of ANY kind).

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Regarding cokes: if you can get them, Zevia sodas make a good substitute for when you need something sweet that has that carbonated mouthfeel. It's stevia-sweetened, so no bad news for insulin, and there are some caffeine-free varieties as well.

Did you see the AoM for music to inspire you? It might help you out some, if you don't have it already.

Yeah, that internal monologue... huh. Check this out. Not sure if I buy into it, but there's a lot of things I ain't bought into lately that turned out to have something good going for them.

Regarding cokes: if you can get them, Zevia sodas make a good substitute for when you need something sweet that has that carbonated mouthfeel. It's stevia-sweetened, so no bad news for insulin, and there are some caffeine-free varieties as well.

Did you see the AoM for music to inspire you? It might help you out some, if you don't have it already.

Yeah, that internal monologue... huh. Check this out. Not sure if I buy into it, but there's a lot of things I ain't bought into lately that turned out to have something good going for them.

I'm sure I can find them, given enough effort. I would most likely have to purchase them online, however, seeing as I haven't any real access to non-commercial beverage choices in my immediate area.

I have seen that post, and I actually created a playlist based on that post that I listen to when working out. It definitely helps me to push through the tough times.

I don't know that I would totally buy into that. I'd have to do some research on it. Who knows, it could turn out to be something, or just a lot of nothing.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

If there's a Trader Joe's near you, Hansen's soda is also pretty darned good.  Their diet varieties are Splenda-sweetened, I believe.  Can't recall if their cola is caffeinated or not.

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

If there's a Trader Joe's near you, Hansen's soda is also pretty darned good.  Their diet varieties are Splenda-sweetened, I believe.  Can't recall if their cola is caffeinated or not.

Sadly, the nearest Trader Joe's is nearly a four hour drive away. They seem to have a great deal of items that I would readily purchase, if only they were closer.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Nice challenge, Balmung!

Still think you do a crazy amount of workouts >.<  How do you have the time?  And the energy?  And the Time?!

Re: Awesome music.  If you use Two Steps From Hell as a seed on Pandora, you create a Thumos playlist pretty well, too.  Was listening to it this morning after my workout.

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

Day 3: Keeping it rolling

READING:  Sticking to my daily planned schedule has been very productive for my reading (and everything else too, as I am spending less and less time doing unnecessary things). Got through most of chapter 2 today (I say "chapter", but it's more like "section", as there are only six of them).

COKES: I'm doing much better on this front that I had anticipated. I've started adding fruit slices to my water, and it is also helping with the cravings, particularly in the evenings. I still had a coke today for lunch, but I'm drinking a large glass of water with lemons in it right now, and I really don't care to have a coke (I typically crave one at this point of the evening, so this is a good sign)

PHOTOS: So...I kinda dropped my phone in the toilet today. Now, in my defense, this is the first time I've ever done anything like this. We'll see if it's salvageable tomorrow. If not, well at least my phone is insured.

LIFE GOAL: Needed a little extra motivation today, which is typical of Wednesdays for me. There's a video I like particularly well, as it talks about blindness and being able to see (I'm SEVERELY nearsighted, to the point where if I don't have my glasses or contacts, I literally can't see my hands in front my face), and it strikes a chord with me:

Nice challenge, Balmung!

Still think you do a crazy amount of workouts >.<  How do you have the time?  And the energy?  And the Time?!

Re: Awesome music.  If you use Two Steps From Hell as a seed on Pandora, you create a Thumos playlist pretty well, too.  Was listening to it this morning after my workout.

Thanks! I have a job that affords me luxuries in my schedule to workout not many are privy to. In fact, I do it in order to maintain a certain standard within my job. As for the energy...well, I've been working out like this pretty much all my life, so for me it's kinda natural. And I loves me some Two Steps From Hell. I use Spotify, but it has the same function.

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Hey everyone! I know it's been a while since I posted (like, nearly the entire challenge), but I just wanted to let y'all know...I have not, in fact, dropped off the face of the earth. A little thing called "life" got in the way, and though I haven't been on, I have been keeping up with my challenge as best I can. I'll provide a detailed summary come Friday.

• Like 1

LEVEL III ASSASSIN-MONK

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines