Ryoko’s Second Quest: Building a Ranger, Volume I – Laying the Foundation

Ryoko

aragorn1.gif

Ryoko's here! :panda:

I made it to my second NF challenge and am so excited to get started with the Rangers. Very pleased to meet (and re-meet) you all! ^.^

So here we go:

MAIN QUEST: CREATE MY FOUNDATION

For a while I couldn’t figure out what I wanted my second quest to be. There are so many awesome things I want to do – the list is endless! There are so many fitness goals that I want to accomplish – where to start? And then I realized…before I go on to bigger and better things, I need to start with a solid foundation. I must have a strong personal baseline before I start taking on the “fun†stuff. I need a foundation that will adequately support my many future goals and aspirations; in short, I need a foundation that consists of stable training, good nutrition, and adequate rest. I am going to do great things. And this challenge will be the bedrock of all future challenges.

QUEST 1: IMPROVE MY TRAINING SCHEDULE

Last challenge I came up with a training schedule for my triathlon, and my homed-based yoga practice. This challenge, I want to come up with a standard, ongoing schedule that incorporates multiple facets of fitness: Strength (YAYOG/Gym), Cardio (Triathlon Training), and Flexibility (Studio and Home-Based Yoga). One that's sustainable long term.

Grading: This one is going to be an all or nothing effort for me. Since I will be playing around with what works best for me, I'm not going to set specific parameters for this particular goal. I'll know if I made it at the end of 6 weeks. Effort is going to count for a lot on this one. (+3 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA)

Bonus Mini Challenges (not graded; these are for fun along the way):

• Cardio – Train for and complete my 2nd triathlon
  • Cardio – Get down to an 11 minute mile for 3 miles (I'm at ~11:30 now, although I did maintain a 10 min mile for 1 full mile last week)
  • Strength – Train for the Spartan Sprint in November. AROO!
  • Strength – Be able to do 1 pull up
  • Yoga – Do 1 round of Surya Namasakar every morning 
  • Yoga – Organize my teacher training notes
  • Misc – Lose 5 lbs

QUEST 2: IMPROVE MY DIET

I eat relatively clean, but I could do a LOT better. I want to only fuel my body with pure, clean, homemade foods. My goal this challenge is to prepare wholesome, non-processed foods from scratch. I used to cook from scratch quite a lot, so this isn't a totally new endeavor for me. I’ll allow myself one lunch and one dinner per week out. Will be sharing pictures and recipes!

Grading (per week): 19 meals from scratch – A (+4 CON)

17 meals from scratch – B (+3 CON)

15 meals from scratch – C (+2 CON)

13 meals from scratch – D (+1 CON)

10 meals or less from scratch – F (0 points)

QUEST 3: IMPROVE MY SLEEP

A tired Ryoko a Ranger does not make. I tend to get in bed between 12:30 – 1:00 am, sometimes not falling asleep before 2:00 am (and then get up around 6:30 – 7:00 am for work). My goal for this challenge is to be in bed no later than 11:30 pm, with no electronics!

Grading (per week): 6 days in bed on time – A (+3 STA)

5 days in bed on time – B (+2 STA)

4 days in bed on time – C (+1 STA)

3 days or less in bed on time – F (0 points)

LIFE QUEST: CREATE A COMPREHENSIVE DEATH PLAN

One thing – of many – that Michelle's death taught me is that we never know when our time will be up. Should I die unexpectedly, I don’t want my family to have to unravel my life or figure out my final wishes on their own. They should know what to do with my body, what to do with my animals, what to do with my stuff, how to access my accounts, etc. So I am going to create a detailed plan that will have all of that information. Additionally, I will complete a Will, a Living Will, a Revocable Trust, a Financial Power of Attorney, and a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare (thank you jc!).

Grading: This is an all or nothing task for me. (+ 2 WIS, +1 CHA)

• Like 17

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Your life quest is... morbidly awesome. People tend to believe they'll die, just in a long time from "now" and only when they're ready for it.  Sometimes when I get too stressed, I tell myself "If a car runs you over next time you cross the street, you'll die laughing for having taken life too seriously".

Also, something related but less gloomy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMUiwTubYu0

Welcome to the Rangers and enjoy your second challenge! We'll be here to cheer you on

• Like 4

Found you :pirate:

I like where you are going with this challenge, well thought out. 

I particularly like the first one.  Just coming up with the righ combination of activities as a backbone to all your other endeavors is great.  Do you worry that 1 schedule will not always work?  I was kind of thinking that during winter months I would spend a mojority of my fitness schedule on strength training with a little less cardio, and then in the summer months reverse that.  It will keep things fresh and I can work around the weather better. 

• Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

There you are! And now subbed~ :love_heart:

And your life quest is something I've thought about from time to time myself. I mean, my parents know that they are to take my cat, and I've told them what I've wanted done to my body but... something in writing is always better, too. It's not something I like thinking about, but of course it's crossed my mind more than once.

Best of luck in figuring out your training goals! In the midst of packing I found an old triathlon training book I bought a few years ago and thought of you. :) 

• Like 1

Vicki | Sheikah Bard | Level 13

STR 32.5 | DEX 51.1 | STA 25.5 | CON 37.1 | WIS 26.0 | CHA 31.3

blkhoe24601 Gains the Power to Revolutionize the World

Past Challenges: 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13

2016 Battle Log

Aha, I found you back!  Stalking now.

Your quest is as always impressive and well thought-out.  You're going to rock this!!!!!

• Like 1

🎪current challenge🎪

challenge archive: 19181716 | 15 | 14 | 13 | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

instagram | goodreads

"Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world." - Voltaire

RAH!!! GET SOME! YAY RYOKO is back :D love the goals and the life quest! been meaning to ask what is your avatar from?

having these documents is a must have (although i started the process never had them finalized) 

• Will
  • Revocable Trust
  •  Financial Power of Attorney
  • Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare
  • Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

STR 3 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 3 | WIS 3.5 | CHA 4

Original Challenge | 1ST | 2nd | joining the bebopReturn to the rangers |

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

o and subbed yet again ;-)

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valor pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!"  - Conan

Quests

Your life quest is... morbidly awesome. People tend to believe they'll die, just in a long time from "now" and only when they're ready for it.  Sometimes when I get too stressed, I tell myself "If a car runs you over next time you cross the street, you'll die laughing for having taken life too seriously".

Also, something related but less gloomy

Welcome to the Rangers and enjoy your second challenge! We'll be here to cheer you on

Thank you! :panda:

Totally agree with that video. Bill Hicks is awesome (as is George Carlin). I definitely strive to live life with an air of "lightness". 

Found you :pirate:

I like where you are going with this challenge, well thought out. 

I particularly like the first one.  Just coming up with the righ combination of activities as a backbone to all your other endeavors is great.  Do you worry that 1 schedule will not always work?  I was kind of thinking that during winter months I would spend a mojority of my fitness schedule on strength training with a little less cardio, and then in the summer months reverse that.  It will keep things fresh and I can work around the weather better. 

Yay, hi Shello! ^.^

Thank you! I'm not too worried about 1 schedule not always working; I plan to modify it as I'm able. So for example, if it's really cold out, I'll probably go to a spin class instead of biking outside. Although you make an excellent point with working around the weather in terms of strength and cardio. I want both. :D Plus, I'd like to shoot for an Olympic distance tri next summer, so I definitely want to keep my cardio up to speed so I can hit the ground running when the weather is nice again. I'm hoping to do a few early Spring sprints as well. ;)

• Like 3

There you are! And now subbed~ :love_heart:

And your life quest is something I've thought about from time to time myself. I mean, my parents know that they are to take my cat, and I've told them what I've wanted done to my body but... something in writing is always better, too. It's not something I like thinking about, but of course it's crossed my mind more than once.

Best of luck in figuring out your training goals! In the midst of packing I found an old triathlon training book I bought a few years ago and thought of you. :)

Yay, hi! :D

Yeah, I've thought about my life quest for some time now, even before Michelle, but never really got around to doing it (I mean, who wants to plan their own death?!) but I have to get it out of the way. So here it is. :panda:

Haha that's awesome about the book! 

Aha, I found you back!  Stalking now.

Your quest is as always impressive and well thought-out.  You're going to rock this!!!!!

Yay, hellloooo! 

Right back atcha, lady! :panda:

I like how you are setting the foundations here. :) I'm sure that it'll be difficult experimenting with everything to see what works best for you, but I can't wait to hear all about it!

Thanks Anaticula! It's so nice to see you. :panda:

Hurrayyyyy! You can dooooooooo it! Subbed!

Hey KL!!! So happy you dropped by! :)

RAH!!! GET SOME! YAY RYOKO is back :D love the goals and the life quest! been meaning to ask what is your avatar from?

having these documents is a must have (although i started the process never had them finalized) 

• Will
  • Revocable Trust
  •  Financial Power of Attorney
  • Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare

Yayyy hi hi jc! I don't know where my avatar is from...I found it online a long time ago and I like it, so I saved it. I'm a huge anime nerd. ^.^

Oooh thanks for the extra info!! I'll add those to my first post.

o and subbed yet again ;-)

w00t! :panda:

I ask because I also LOVE ANIME!!!! (not so much Manga because it can be SOOO EXPENSIVE so i get it online) what are some of your favorite anime?

Some of mine off the top of my head:

Bleach, Cowboy bebop, Trigun, transformers, samurai champloo, rurouni Kenshin, Voltron, Gundam Wing, Gundam seed/destiny, Knights of Sidonia (original netflix anime based off of a manga was a good mecha anime), fruits basket, chobits, love hina and the overall dragon ball series (to include Z and GT). not to mention a TON of others. O i just recently watched Eureka Seven (and the end had me crying like a baby. no other movie or show can get me to shed a tear, but some animes get to me another one being full metal alchemist brotherhood) 

• Like 1

Level 1 Nord  Epic Quest

Spoiler

Quests

Eleven-s-Salutes-doctor-who-for-whovians

Great challenge!!

Your life quest is impressive, especially remembering to leave login information for all of your accounts!!!  

(And subbed .... of course.)

• Like 2

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Here you are! =D

Firstly, that gif at the front with Aragorn walking through the doors is just way too perfect.

*applause*

dhMeAzK.gif

Your challenges are so well thought out! They have everything needed to be one hell of a challenge.

As always, I'm rooting for you. Good luck!

• Like 5

SugarRay Lycan - Monk

Level 4 - STR : 5 | DEX : 8 | STA : 3 | CON : 5 | WIS : 8 | CHA : 1

Challenges: No. 1 - No.2 - No.3 - No.3: SugarRay's Comeback Match.

Very glad to see you picked the Rangers!!!  You're in for a great ride!!

crusin.jpg

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Current Challenge: Return of the Persistent Priestess

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

I found you! WIll be following along again this challenge.

• Like 1

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - J.R.R Tolkien

"Progress, not perfection."

"Persist, Pivot, or Concede." - Matthew McConaughey

"Today I will do what others won't, so tomorrow I can accomplish what others can't."

Battle Log | The Return Arc - [1] [2] [3] [4] <--Current Challenge

I ask because I also LOVE ANIME!!!! (not so much Manga because it can be SOOO EXPENSIVE so i get it online) what are some of your favorite anime?

Some of mine off the top of my head:

Bleach, Cowboy bebop, Trigun, transformers, samurai champloo, rurouni Kenshin, Voltron, Gundam Wing, Gundam seed/destiny, Knights of Sidonia (original netflix anime based off of a manga was a good mecha anime), fruits basket, chobits, love hina and the overall dragon ball series (to include Z and GT). not to mention a TON of others. O i just recently watched Eureka Seven (and the end had me crying like a baby. no other movie or show can get me to shed a tear, but some animes get to me another one being full metal alchemist brotherhood) 

Hah, another anime nerd, awesome!!! :D

I love almost all of the ones you mentioned above (I haven't seen Eureka Seven or Knights of Sidonia yet). 

A few of my favorites (in addition to what you mentioned above): Ninja Scroll, Akira, Ghost In The Shell, Vampire Hunter D, Tenchi Muyo (this is where my user name is from), Moribito, Samurai 7, Claymore, Mushishi, Inuyasha, and of course, anything Miyazake.

Grave of the Fireflies was amazing but one of the saddest films I've ever seen. It's a classic though. ^.^

Yay, anime. I haven't watched any in ages. Bubblegum crisis, cowboy bebop, Kino 's journey, Death note and Haruhi!

Yeah!! Death Note is fantastic. It looks like they recently added it back to Netflix again (yay) so I plan to rewatch it starting in October. 

Eleven-s-Salutes-doctor-who-for-whovians

Great challenge!!

Your life quest is impressive, especially remembering to leave login information for all of your accounts!!!  

(And subbed .... of course.)

Thank you! Yeah, I'm also going to leave log-in information for the couple of message boards I'm on, including NF, so that someone can log on and let people know. 

So nice to to see you! :panda:

Here you are! =D

Firstly, that gif at the front with Aragorn walking through the doors is just way too perfect.

*applause*

Your challenges are so well thought out! They have everything needed to be one hell of a challenge.

As always, I'm rooting for you. Good luck!

Yay, hi!!! So, so happy to see you! Thanks as always for your support! :panda:

There you are! Your goals look awesome!

Thanks sterre!! I'm on the lookout for you too - can't wait to see your new goals as well! ^.^

• Like 1

Very glad to see you picked the Rangers!!!  You're in for a great ride!!

Thank you!!! I'm definitely looking forward to it!! :D

I found you! WIll be following along again this challenge.

Awesome, so nice to see you again! :panda:

• Like 1

aragorn1.gif

Ryoko's here! :panda:

I made it to my second NF challenge and am so excited to get started with the Rangers. Very pleased to meet (and re-meet) you all! ^.^

So here we go:

MAIN QUEST: CREATE MY FOUNDATION

For a while I couldn’t figure out what I wanted my second quest to be. There are so many awesome things I want to do – the list is endless! There are so many fitness goals that I want to accomplish – where to start? And then I realized…before I go on to bigger and better things, I need to start with a solid foundation. I must have a strong personal baseline before I start taking on the “fun†stuff. I need a foundation that will adequately support my many future goals and aspirations; in short, I need a foundation that consists of stable training, good nutrition, and adequate rest. I am going to do great things. And this challenge will be the bedrock of all future challenges.

QUEST 1: IMPROVE MY TRAINING SCHEDULE

Last challenge I came up with a training schedule for my triathlon, and my homed-based yoga practice. This challenge, I want to come up with a standard, ongoing schedule that incorporates multiple facets of fitness: Strength (YAYOG/Gym), Cardio (Triathlon Training), and Flexibility (Studio and Home-Based Yoga). One that's sustainable long term.

Grading: This one is going to be an all or nothing effort for me. Since I will be playing around with what works best for me, I'm not going to set specific parameters for this particular goal. I'll know if I made it at the end of 6 weeks. Effort is going to count for a lot on this one. (+3 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA)

Bonus Mini Challenges (not graded; these are for fun along the way):
  • Cardio – Train for and complete my 2nd triathlon
  • Cardio – Get down to an 11 minute mile for 3 miles (I'm at ~11:30 now, although I did maintain a 10 min mile for 1 full mile last week)
  • Strength – Train for the Spartan Sprint in November. AROO!
  • Strength – Be able to do 1 pull up
  • Yoga – Do 1 round of Surya Namasakar every morning 
  • Yoga – Organize my teacher training notes
  • Misc – Lose 5 lbs

QUEST 2: IMPROVE MY DIET

I eat relatively clean, but I could do a LOT better. I want to only fuel my body with pure, clean, homemade foods. My goal this challenge is to prepare wholesome, non-processed foods from scratch. I used to cook from scratch quite a lot, so this isn't a totally new endeavor for me. I’ll allow myself one lunch and one dinner per week out. Will be sharing pictures and recipes!

Grading (per week): 19 meals from scratch – A (+4 CON)
17 meals from scratch – B (+3 CON)
15 meals from scratch – C (+2 CON)
13 meals from scratch – D (+1 CON)
10 meals or less from scratch – F (0 points)

QUEST 3: IMPROVE MY SLEEP

A tired Ryoko a Ranger does not make. I tend to get in bed between 12:30 – 1:00 am, sometimes not falling asleep before 2:00 am (and then get up around 6:30 – 7:00 am for work). My goal for this challenge is to be in bed no later than 11:30 pm, with no electronics!

Grading (per week): 6 days in bed on time – A (+3 STA)
5 days in bed on time – B (+2 STA)
4 days in bed on time – C (+1 STA)
3 days or less in bed on time – F (0 points)

LIFE QUEST: CREATE A COMPREHENSIVE DEATH PLAN

One thing – of many – that Michelle's death taught me is that we never know when our time will be up. Should I die unexpectedly, I don’t want my family to have to unravel my life or figure out my final wishes on their own. They should know what to do with my body, what to do with my animals, what to do with my stuff, how to access my accounts, etc. So I am going to create a detailed plan that will have all of that information. Additionally, I will complete a Will, a Living Will, a Revocable Trust, a Financial Power of Attorney, and a Durable Power of Attorney for Healthcare (thank you jc!).

Grading: This is an all or nothing task for me. (+ 2 WIS, +1 CHA)

Your challenge is great! So well thought out. 

The life quest is so important. My mom died when I was 15 and we couldn't find a will then it "magically" appeared with things we knew she didn't want and I was left to pick out her casket, etc.  It was a hot mess. Not to mention funeral homes are a business and they don't necessarily...hmmm. I don't know how to say this without making it sound like all funeral home owners are bad people, which I don't, but they don't really care that you are under duress when you are making decisions about your dead mom and you have no idea what you are doing.  They will take the money and not bat an eye.  Having it all planned out shows great care for your loved ones so they don't have to deal with any major decisions in a state of extreme grief. 

This is another area where I have a ton of books, but a general idea, but I don't have it on paper.  I have so many underpants. :\

Thank you! Yeah, I'm also going to leave log-in information for the couple of message boards I'm on, including NF, so that someone can log on and let people know. 

That is a great idea. 

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines