Ryoko’s Second Quest: Building a Ranger, Volume I – Laying the Foundation

Ryoko

Great challenge! Looking forward to the food pictures and recipes. Your life quest is something I need to work on. Just something thatiI've been procrastinating on. Good luck, you have a great plan to rock this challenge.

Thank you! Yeah, I've been thinking about my life quest for years and procrastinating on that too. Ugh, just need to finally do it. I'll be glad once it's over and done with. :)

Your challenge is great! So well thought out. 

The life quest is so important. My mom died when I was 15 and we couldn't find a will then it "magically" appeared with things we knew she didn't want and I was left to pick out her casket, etc.  It was a hot mess. Not to mention funeral homes are a business and they don't necessarily...hmmm. I don't know how to say this without making it sound like all funeral home owners are bad people, which I don't, but they don't really care that you are under duress when you are making decisions about your dead mom and you have no idea what you are doing.  They will take the money and not bat an eye.  Having it all planned out shows great care for your loved ones so they don't have to deal with any major decisions in a state of extreme grief. 

This is another area where I have a ton of books, but a general idea, but I don't have it on paper.  I have so many underpants. :\

That is a great idea. 

Yay, hi, so glad you found me!  :love_heart:

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been in and of itself, let alone having to deal with funeral arrangements.

Another reminder for me why it's just good to be prepared. ^.^

You have a good looking challenge there! Looking forward to seeing what you make of it. Good luck!

Thank you! :panda:

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

Firstly, that gif at the front with Aragorn walking through the doors is just way too perfect.

I'll admit...I watched it loop through at least 5 times

I really like that you allowed for a bunch of flexibility in your workouts. I think we'll be "surya namaskar" sisters this time around :-)

• Like 3

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Ryoko

I loved following you while you trained for and completed your triathlon and look forward to following you again.  I love your life quest.  I have been thinking of having it as a life quest too and you beat me to it, and looking at the responses you have received, it looks a little more complicated then just writing a will.  Hhhmmmm, it may just take me 6 weeks to do it.  I look forward to reading about your adventures. 

Lisa 

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

I'll admit...I watched it loop through at least 5 times

I really like that you allowed for a bunch of flexibility in your workouts. I think we'll be "surya namaskar" sisters this time around :-)

Hahaha so did I when I first found it. ^.^

Surya namaskar sisters - right on! :panda:

All good stuff goin' on here for sure.  Awesome!

Thanks!! So glad you stopped by. :)

Found you! *pokes* These look like great goals.  I'm excited to be inspired by your epicness once again, Ryoko!

Yay, you're here!  :love_heart:

Thanks as always for your support. ^.^

Now I'm off to find you!

Ryoko

I loved following you while you trained for and completed your triathlon and look forward to following you again.  I love your life quest.  I have been thinking of having it as a life quest too and you beat me to it, and looking at the responses you have received, it looks a little more complicated then just writing a will.  Hhhmmmm, it may just take me 6 weeks to do it.  I look forward to reading about your adventures. 

Lisa 

So nice to see you again, Lisa! :panda:

Thanks for the encouragement. Yeah, I can't say it's my favorite subject lol - but especially after Michelle, I decided I couldn't put it off anymore. I look forward to following you again as well! 

• Like 1

Ryoko's Almond Milk - First Time Making! (Picture Heavy)

Hi all! So, in keeping in line with my 2nd quest of having no processed foods, I decided to try my hand at making almond milk this evening. I use almond milk every morning in my smoothies, so this is definitely something that would be great for me to get the hang of.

I started by soaking a bowl of raw almonds first thing this morning (around 9:00 am); I let them soak for about 12 hours:

5360990d-331e-4d21-bd3b-394c803f90f8_zps

You can really see the difference before and after - the soaked ones are much plumper:

b14745b6-fa70-4dba-94dc-c1067e3346c6_zps

I then rinsed and drained the almonds. Into the Vitamix they go, with fresh filtered water!

41c55073-0f14-49f6-97aa-2be65f1e04cd_zps

And blended:

bfbdcc60-aa76-42e1-ba1a-b6fe82432d24_zps

I bought a nut milk bag that I then used to strain the mixture:

5221aa91-dcf8-4164-af77-5d5152c0750d_zps

Here is the leftover almond pulp, which I will sweeten with cinnamon, dates, and vanilla and make into little dessert balls:

011eb10d-e243-4624-b66f-4ce180c9c0d4_zps

Pouring the strained milk into my glass pitcher:

2be25377-ccb6-49cf-a986-3a31347ba30f_zps

Taste test, yum!!

a5dc6ed0-1526-4560-bc21-05adb8438964_zps

Final product, ready for refrigeration! 

be8a4e05-676d-4d00-91bc-45e097b129a9_zps

I have to say, this tastes SO much better than the store bought brand. I plan to start making several batches of this milk each Sunday to last me through the week.

And check out the difference in ingredients:

Store Brand Almond Milk: Almondmilk (filtered water, almonds), calcium carbonate, tapioca starch, sea salt, potassium citrate, carrageenan, sunflower lecithin, natural flavor, vitamin A palmitate, vitamin D2 and D-alpha-tocpherol (natural vitamin E)

Ryoko's Almond Milk: Raw organic almonds, filtered water.

Yeah!!! So yummy. So happy my first try went so well! :panda:

• Like 15

Subbing! I'd love to be able to do a triathlon one day. Unfortunately my swimming skills are vertually non existant (something I hope to deal with soon)!

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

I'm so gonna make almond milk when we get back from camp - or we'll play with it in Atlanta - but, YOUROCK!

Of course, I'm here...subbed....and I went ahead and started an artists accountabilibduddies group...even though I said I wouldn't! LOL!

you are in good hands here....Hammlin is awesome - as is Chris-Tien - for the ones I know off hand...you are in good hands!

Just don't forget our TRI - the scouts will be jealous!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In His hands and Under His wings, Phil 4:13; Is 40:31; Jer 29:11
 Adventurer by choice

Fitness, diet and sleep, three integral things to overall good health. Excellent goals, should be a fantastic challenge! Good luck :D

• Like 1

Level 8 Half Elf Ranger

STR:19 ~ DEX:6 ~ CON:21 ~ WIS:20 ~ STA:12 ~ CHA:9

Current Challenge - Previous Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12

"Keep your friends close, and your enemies within 10 feet of the pack."

Ranger awesomeness showing out! Posted your recipe here, keep it in mind for future stuff. I'm leaving dairy/milky stuff out of my diet but will be keeping an extra-close eye for future recipes. Real exciting stuff, feels like I've found a cookmate (is that even a word?)

• Like 1

I'm going to have to try that home made almond milk when I buy a new blender. Just a quick question, what quantity of almonds and water did you use?

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Current: Assassins / Instagram

Previous: 1, 234, 5, 678910, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44

2020 Races: 
CANCELLED! Spartan Trifecta: Beast: 18-APR / Super :11-JUL / Sprint: 12-JUL

Summer Nuts: 5/6-SEPT / Nuclear Blast: 12-SEPT / Nuclear team race: 04-OCT 

"You have the heart of a Rebel"

"I'll take that as a compliment"

Once again, an impressive challenge! Very well thought out and definitely attainable. I especially appreciate your life quest. I've been in financial services a long time and see how families get torn apart when proper planning hasn't been completed. 

• Like 1

Aces3000 - Wood Elf

Current Challenge - 5/3/1 and Meditation

"An increase of strength comes from the use of strength." - Stave of the Haruchai

Dude, whaaaat?! You made almond milk? You're so boss. I'm so envious of your Vitamix lol.

I love that gif of Aragorn...sooo epic. plus you're both Rangers. It totally works. Good luck on your quest! I'm rooting for you!! :D

Thanks!! I'm really happy that it turned out so well and I didn't botch it up. :panda:

Yeah lol I saw that gif and I was like oh this is IT! MUST. USE. ^.^

Subbing! I'd love to be able to do a triathlon one day. Unfortunately my swimming skills are vertually non existant (something I hope to deal with soon)!

Yay, glad to have you!

My swimming skills are laughable - lol if I can do it I think anyone can. If you decide to ever do a tri, I'd love to cheer you on! :panda:

Impressive!  How do you find time for all that?  It looks intense.

Thanks! Actually, it wasn't time consuming at all. I mean, it took 12 hours to soak the nuts, but I did other things all day. Rinsing, blending, and straining took about 10 minutes, if that. Super quick! :)

• Like 2

I'm so gonna make almond milk when we get back from camp - or we'll play with it in Atlanta - but, YOUROCK!

Of course, I'm here...subbed....and I went ahead and started an artists accountabilibduddies group...even though I said I wouldn't! LOL!

you are in good hands here....Hammlin is awesome - as is Chris-Tien - for the ones I know off hand...you are in good hands!

Just don't forget our TRI - the scouts will be jealous!

Yay, hi CA!! So nice to see you. :panda:

I will check out the group - I totally need the motivation to get my art back on!

So much to look forward to with you! Seeing you in two months, doing our tri...lots to plan! :D

oooh, props for the homemade almond milk; subbing.

Thanks!! Happy to have you! :)

Fitness, diet and sleep, three integral things to overall good health. Excellent goals, should be a fantastic challenge! Good luck :D

Thank you!! I appreciate the support. :)

Ranger awesomeness showing out! Posted your recipe here, keep it in mind for future stuff. I'm leaving dairy/milky stuff out of my diet but will be keeping an extra-close eye for future recipes. Real exciting stuff, feels like I've found a cookmate (is that even a word?)

Thanks!! Yeah I was definitely planning on posting it there too once the thread was up - good looking out, cookmate! :panda:

I'm going to have to try that home made almond milk when I buy a new blender. Just a quick question, what quantity of almonds and water did you use?

Hmm...I hate to say this, but I didn't really measure it. I would guesstimate ~ 1.25 cups of raw almonds, and ~4 cups of water. Sorry! Next time I will try to measure it out. My cooking tends to always be done by eyeballing ingredients. ^.^

Once again, an impressive challenge! Very well thought out and definitely attainable. I especially appreciate your life quest. I've been in financial services a long time and see how families get torn apart when proper planning hasn't been completed. 

Yay, hii Aces! So nice to see you. :panda:

Yes, it's certainly a problem I don't wish on my family.

Homemade almond mix!! Brilliant! I'll have to give it a try someday. :)

Thanks!! You should - it's super easy, and totally gratifying! :)

nut milk bag

I laughed really hard at this and now I must find a way to use this in every day conversation. 

I love that you are using the left over pulp! Store bought almond milk upsets my stomach, I wish I had an awesome blender to make my own! Fantastic job.

• Like 4

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

I'm very sorry to hear about your mom. I can't imagine how difficult that must have been in and of itself, let alone having to deal with funeral arrangements.

Another reminder for me why it's just good to be prepared. ^.^

Aw, thanks. You are very sweet. It was a long time ago. :)  It was very difficult so I think it is really thoughtful of you to take care of that stuff so your loved ones don't have to worry about it. 

• Like 1

Half Elf, 28.6 lbs overweight, average height, voluptuous, low muscle mass, bad ass mother f*cker

Current Challenge  Fourth Challenge Third Challenge Second Challenge First Challenge  My Long List of Goals 

Level 5

STR: 5STA: 4, DEX: 7, CON: 9, WIS: 13CHA: 8

Weight Goal: 2/43.6

1%
1%

â€œAnd the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom†-- Anaïs Nin

Website      Instagram 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines