Ryoko’s Second Quest: Building a Ranger, Volume I – Laying the Foundation

Ryoko

You are so organized, I love it. Love the smoothie packets. 

And your swim coach sounds amazing. Is that kind of analysis expensive?  Maybe you just have better resources due to your geographic area...  

• Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

Spoiler

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

Great job overall on day one! Love the update on your swimming analysis.

Thanks Aces! ^.^

That swim coach sounds great!  I really appreciate instructors who give a good balance of praise and constructive criticism, and it looks like you got plenty of both.

Good move on the pre-prepared snack/smoothie baggies.  When you're running around during the day, having healthy foods pre-cut and ready to go can make a huge difference.

Thank you; she is great! I will definitely be working with her in the future. She was amazing. 

Yeah, having snacks ready to go definitely helps me keep my snacking healthy!

Oops, double post!  Have a frolicking kitten:

2093asj.jpg

Yay! Meow. >.<

Yeah, I love that idea of the pre-packaged smoothie.  Makes it a lot easier to measure out and make healthy choices.  Will be stealing that gem.

For sure! Definitely saves on time too. :)

You are so organized, I love it. Love the smoothie packets. 

And your swim coach sounds amazing. Is that kind of analysis expensive?  Maybe you just have better resources due to your geographic area...  

Thanks Shello! :panda:

Yep, she's awesome. She's also a dedicated triathlete, so she's right up my alley and knows exactly what I need. In fact, she'll be competing in an Ironman triathlon next week!

Yes, it's pretty expensive. A bit out of my budget, but honestly it was worth the cost. And since I'm going to continue doing triathlons, I'm going to have to invest in improving my performance. Definitely worth it, and I plan to continue on with her.

• Like 2

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

You'll be amazed what that earlier bedtime can do for you, Ryoko, but it will take a while for your body and brain to adjust to going to bed 2 hours earlier.  Stick with it!

Where did you find a swim training analysis?  Did you hire personal swim trainer? That sounds like something I could benefit from.  

• Like 1

Level 4 Ranger
STR 10 / DEX 6 / STA 6 / CON 8 / WIS 6 / CHA 5
Completed Challenges / PVP's: 
1 | 2 3 | 4 | YAYOG | 20-in-10

Current Challenges / PVP's: 5

congrats on your successful day 1!  I love the snack bag, smoothie bag idea.  I definitely need to do that too.  Rock on!

• Like 1

Liser Frenche

Level 1 - STR : 1.3 | DEX : 1.5 | STA : 1.5 | CON : 1.5 | WIS : 0 | CHA : 0

Current Challenge  /Battle Log I   

Previous challenges:

1I  2  3 Epic Respawn

MFP username: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/profile/liserfrenche

"Strive for Progress, Not Perfection"

I did however have my swim training analysis done today, yay! The coach was awesome - she videotaped me and gave me a lot of great feedback. The bad news - my breathing technique sucks and combined with my horrible swim stroke is creating a lot of drag. The good news - I rotate my hips well and have a solid, strong kick. After the taping, we spent an hour working together on drills. Within in the next few days, Coach will send me a detailed write up of the analysis, including drill instructions and the video with play by play commentary on my form. She recommended that I train swimming 4 days a week (as opposed to the 3 I had planned). So I'll be revamping my schedule a bit. Lots to do, and I'm very excited! :panda:

. . . 

Smoothie bags to keep in the freezer:

(Bananas, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries)

Hey, the only way we get better is when we realize something needs work, so good for learning on what you need to work on for swimming!

And have you ever tried added greens to smoothies?  I swear spinach adds no flavor whatsoever but adds tons of nutrients (and Popeye approves!).  Also try a little (teaspoon) of fresh ginger for a wonderfully refreshing smoothie!

• Like 4

Level 5 Shapeshifter Monk

STR 10.75   :   DEX 7.5  :   STA 8.5   :   CON 5   :   WIS 7.5   :   CHA 7

Challenge: I am an Avenger

Past: 1st, Draugr, Super-hero, Rocky

A soon-to-be married Kung Fu enthusiast  

Great job on day 1!! Good on you for getting a swim analyst- that will definitely be worth the expense in the long run! And like everyone else is saying those smoothie packets are genius! Don't worry about the bedtime- it's really hard changing sleep habits. Really..really hard. You'll get there! :)

• Like 1

Level 2 Human Assassin

STR 4| DEX 0| STA 5CON 4| WIS 4| CHA 1

My battlelog

Challenge: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Your swim coach sounds awesome.  I really like the idea of filming the swim so you can see what you are doing and compare it to how you are supposed to be doing things.  I'm going to have to look into finding a cheap camera that will film underwater and give that a try.

Also, the smoothie bags look great.  I need to try that too as it will make breakfast so much easier.  Going to give it a try when I get back from camp.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: Late start, but here at last.

Level 6 Magikarp

Past Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5

My NF Character and Epic Quest!

Hey, the only way we get better is when we realize something needs work, so good for learning on what you need to work on for swimming!

And have you ever tried added greens to smoothies?  I swear spinach adds no flavor whatsoever but adds tons of nutrients (and Popeye approves!).  Also try a little (teaspoon) of fresh ginger for a wonderfully refreshing smoothie!

definitely putting spinach in my next shake, anyway I can get free bonuses has to be good

• Like 1

I second the idea of spinach or other greens in a smoothie. I fill up half of my NutriBullet with spinach and kale and then the rest with pear, cucumber, pineapple or strawberries, blueberries, and half a lime (and sometimes nuts or protein powder). I never taste the leafy greens at all. I do taste the cucumber, but I like it. =) (I like spinach fine on its own but have never managed to acquire a taste for kale.) 

Ryoko - Is your mock tuna made from chickpeas? Busboys & Poets has an awesome vegan tuna sandwich made from chickpeas, kelp, and some nutritional yeast. We managed to make a really good copycat recipe this weekend. I love it! 

• Like 2

Aeshnidae, The Girl with the Dragonfly Tattoo

Human Ranger

Level 4 | STR 9 | DEX 8 | STA 5 | CON 5 | WIS 8 | CHA 3

Aeshnidae Flips the Bird at Being Sick | Battle Log | Skull Crushers III

Intro Post | MFP | 2nd Challenge

"Fire bad, tree pretty."

"Nothing but the rain..."

Ahah! Found you and subbed! :panda: 

As always, the thoughtfulness and breadth of your goals astounds me. I'll be cheering you on the whole way!! Go, Ryoko, go! :D

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

Those pre packed smoothie packages are soooooooooooooooooo getting ninja'd

Heck yeah! ^.^

You'll be amazed what that earlier bedtime can do for you, Ryoko, but it will take a while for your body and brain to adjust to going to bed 2 hours earlier.  Stick with it!

Where did you find a swim training analysis?  Did you hire personal swim trainer? That sounds like something I could benefit from.  

I'm going to keep fighting for it! I know it will make a world a difference getting to sleep earlier. ^.^

I had my swim analysis done through a local triathlon store. They do all kinds of stuff - swim analysis, running gait analysis, bike fitting, triathlon coaching, etc. I do not have a personal trainer at the moment, although I did sign up for swimming lessons today.

congrats on your successful day 1!  I love the snack bag, smoothie bag idea.  I definitely need to do that too.  Rock on!

Thanks so much! Yeah it's definitely helpful. :)

Thanks! 

Absolutely! These smoothie bags are by no means the extent of my actual smoothie ingredients. I usually put:

Smoothie bag (frozen fruit)

1 cup spinach

1 spoonful protein powder

1 spoonful quick oats

1 spoonful Ryoko's superfood blend (blend info forthcoming)

cinnamon

almond milk

Sometimes I will add ~ 1/4 cup cannellini beans for extra protein, or an apple or pineapple.

And I love fresh ginger! I will usually snack on that raw during the day. :panda:

• Like 1

Great job on day 1!! Good on you for getting a swim analyst- that will definitely be worth the expense in the long run! And like everyone else is saying those smoothie packets are genius! Don't worry about the bedtime- it's really hard changing sleep habits. Really..really hard. You'll get there! :)

Thanks! I definitely agree that the expense will be worth it. I appreciate the encouragement! :)

Your swim coach sounds awesome.  I really like the idea of filming the swim so you can see what you are doing and compare it to how you are supposed to be doing things.  I'm going to have to look into finding a cheap camera that will film underwater and give that a try.

Also, the smoothie bags look great.  I need to try that too as it will make breakfast so much easier.  Going to give it a try when I get back from camp.

Yeah, the video taping is SO helpful! And I love that she's providing the play by play commentary too.

Awesome that you'll be giving the smoothie bags a try too! ^.^

Food prep FTW! It's amazing what having something healthy and easy on hand can do to shore up your will power for more important decisions! Love it.

Thanks! It's definitely helping. :panda:

definitely putting spinach in my next shake, anyway I can get free bonuses has to be good

You should! With the fruit in there you can barely taste it. ;)

I second the idea of spinach or other greens in a smoothie. I fill up half of my NutriBullet with spinach and kale and then the rest with pear, cucumber, pineapple or strawberries, blueberries, and half a lime (and sometimes nuts or protein powder). I never taste the leafy greens at all. I do taste the cucumber, but I like it. =) (I like spinach fine on its own but have never managed to acquire a taste for kale.) 

Ryoko - Is your mock tuna made from chickpeas? Busboys & Poets has an awesome vegan tuna sandwich made from chickpeas, kelp, and some nutritional yeast. We managed to make a really good copycat recipe this weekend. I love it! 

Nope, this "tuna" was completely raw - it was walnut based. Although I have several very good chickpea based "tuna" recipes as well.

OMG I :love_heart: Busboys & Poets! I go there all the time. I'm in love with their tempeh panini. :panda:

Congrats on your copycat recipe! ^.^ I have been unsuccessful to date copying their tempeh panini myself. -_-

Ahah! Found you and subbed! :panda:

As always, the thoughtfulness and breadth of your goals astounds me. I'll be cheering you on the whole way!! Go, Ryoko, go! :D

Yay, you're here! So glad to see you, as always, Nic. ((()))

• Like 2

*** Ryoko's Superfood Blend (for Smoothies) ***

Blend consists of:

Flaxseed

Cacao

Maca

Spirulina

Goji

Acai

Hemp

Pomegranate

b879ae5c-3998-4615-b00e-116a6a370060_zps

Then I mix everything together:

a9aa5f10-bb5a-4081-9a1e-3b46e7083c53_zps

And bag everything up. Each day, I add a small scoop (slightly under 1 TBSP) to my smoothie. Spare bags go in the freezer until they're ready to be used.

5f7c6817-b1f3-4bf2-8993-c45c52ebbbbc_zps

This stash here will last me about 8 months to 1 year. Superfood awesome! :panda:

• Like 5

Holy cow, that super mix!  I'm not sure I even know what half of those are, but I'm impressed!

My mom bought me this shake and take thing a while ago, and I haven't used it yet, but maybe in this challenge I will have to break it out! (kind of like a magic bullet, but a knock off of some sort)

Keep on keepin' on....

• Like 1

Level 5 Half-Orc Adventurer

STR 13 | DEX 4 | STA  2 | CON  13 | WIS 11 | CHA 8

Try Not. Do, or do not. There is no try. 

Challenges 1 2 3 4 Daily Battle Log    PVP: YAYOG

GO RYOKO GO

W00t! :D

You're so organized! A swim coach is a great idea!

Thank you! :panda:

Holy cow, that super mix!  I'm not sure I even know what half of those are, but I'm impressed!

My mom bought me this shake and take thing a while ago, and I haven't used it yet, but maybe in this challenge I will have to break it out! (kind of like a magic bullet, but a knock off of some sort)

Keep on keepin' on....

Thanks! I'd be interested to hear your experience if you decide to break out your shaker!

Wow, that's intense.  How did you come up with the idea for that mix?

It just kind of grew organically! I kept adding things one by one until I ended up with this ensemble. ^.^

*** Day 2 Results ***

Quest 1 - Improve My Training Schedule

I got up late again today. *Le sigh*. Tomorrow I am *determined* to get up early!! I really, really want to go for a run in the morning. I need to focus my motivation as it's been lacking of late.

I stopped by the triathlon store to see my Coach today. I signed up for swim lessons starting next month. I'm really excited to get started! We also talked about me renting a wetsuit and doing an open water swim trial run. She doesn't think I should wait until the actual race to get in a wetsuit for the the first time. I agree with her. I'll be going in tomorrow to pick up the suit, and signing up for the trial run on Sunday. Unfortunately I'll have to pay for both the suit and the the trial, but it's worth it - again, I don't want to be unprepared when it's time to swim in the ocean (have I mentioned how *nervous* I am about that btw??)

I did the YAYOG program today. The upper body days are always very challenging for me, as I have pretty much the upper body strength of a wet noodle. :( But, I'm optimistic that the YAYOG  program will help change that...

tumblr_m7z06k6Mq51rpmhcs.gif

Quest 2 - Improve my Diet

Today's menu was as follows:

Breakfast: Smoothie

Lunch: PB&J

Snack: Mixed Veggies, Hummus

Dinner: Lettuce Wraps

I did not have a large appetite tonight, so I made a light dinner of Lettuce Wraps:

Lettuce Wrap Ingredients:

Cooked Red Lentils & Raw Walnuts (processed into a "meaty" filling, seasoned with sea salt, chili powder, and cumin. A splash of olive oil & water were added)

Tomatoes

Scallions

Purple Cabbage

Cilantro

Homemade Cashew Cream Sauce (raw cashews, salt, nutritional yeast, liquid aminos, yellow miso, fresh lemon juice, sea salt, filtered water)

Fresh lemon for spritzing

f11d63c6-2bad-4a95-96f0-483e722daac3_zps

Quest 3 - Improve My Sleep

I am on track for an 11:30 pm bedtime tonight! :panda:

Life Quest - Create A Comprehensive Death Plan

I received a basic will today, (thank you aeshnidae for your guidance!); I will print it out tomorrow and fill it out later this week. ^.^

• Like 7

Thanks for the photos of your veggie snacks, smoothie packets and lettuce wraps...I'm getting some ideas.

Sounds like you have found a great coach who fits your goals. For the others who were asking about swim coaches, there are many swim clubs for adults usually called "master's swimming" programs. These are especially common around colleges and universities, but you would find them other places too.

The US national site is www.usms.org, and it has links to help you find local chapters. This would be a way to get into a program doing swim training with other people. The club I was in (ages ago...no pool where I live now) had a great coach who would frequently videotape us. The clubs generally have people with a wide range of abilities.

• Like 2

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines