Chris-Tien Don't Need No Rescue!

Chris-Tien Jinn

Ok, this challenge is going to be simple and straightforward.  I probably will not do anything with the run-on story.  And I will be online less than I have been for the previous 9 months.  

We moved.  I am really enjoying being back in my home town in Minnesota.  I love the new house.  Life is good, but it is also really busy with unpacking and decorating, new jobs, and tons of fun things to do.  I don't think I really fully grasped how limited my life (especially social) had become.  I have already auditioned for (and made it into) the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra's Chorale!!  

It's a complete change in my life!!!  And I hope that this will curtail emotional eating and drinking and make it easier to get out to exercise and just MOVE more.  

Moving to the city where I wanted to live marks also a new direction/philosophy in my life.  I'm not waiting to be rescued anymore.  Last challenge, I got a wake up call and realized that I'd become very passive.  I was always waiting to be noticed and asked to take on roles and activities that I wanted.  That shit is DONE.  

Auditioning for the chorale was another step in saving myself.  Boom!

I'm on a roll.  So, here's heading for 33% body fat by the end of the challenge as my main, overarching goal.

How??

1) Strength Training.  I have a set of free-weight and body weight workouts for 3+ days per week.  That's process stuff.  The GOAL for the end of the challenge is to do a pull up/chin up with only 25 pounds of assistance.  Having shifted gyms (along with cities), I am looking at options and may have to ask one of the trainers for help.  There is an assisted chin up machine at the location I visited yesterday, but it's different than the one I was using. (+3 STR)

2) Running 5Ks. I like running and am working through the C25K, ZR5K, and ZR apps to keep building up stamina and speed.  I'm planning on the Harvest Run for October 11th but won't sign up until after I find out how my mom's surgery (back) goes on October 6th.  (+2 STA, +1 DEX)

3) Cleaning up diet using the Anti-Aging Diet (Elizabeth Somer) guidelines.  Eating fruits and veggies and whole grains and low-fat calcium sources and protein.  Not counting calories this time - just working on eating cleaner and avoiding sweets and alcohol.  I do have a way to track 6 objectives per day and will report on those daily.  (+2 CON, +1 WIS)

4) Sign up for and go to TKD classes.  I have a studio in mind and have to go see Master Chris about joining.  I never have a weight problem when I'm doing martial arts a couple times per week. (+1 WIS, +2 DEX)

5) Do a chapter (plus exercises) in the Staging Your Comeback book (Christopher Hopkins).  I would like to look very stylish for my daughter's wedding ... tentatively slated for next fall (?).  But I think I also need to start looking like an adult now that I'm out of grad school and am teaching.  (+3 CHA)

Short and sweet!

c7805e6cbe68ad20bd8dfcd1d91f8df7.jpg

• Like 10

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Walk to Mordor Spreadsheet

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

"No, I'm from Iowa.  I only work in outer space." -- James T. Kirk

Wow, sounds like you're off to an awesome start. ^.^

I'm hoping to do a pull up this challenge myself - we can do it! 

I have already auditioned for (and made it into) the Duluth Superior Symphony Orchestra's Chorale!!  

Congratulations! :panda:

• Like 1

Level 2 - Wood Elf - Ranger 

STR : 2 | DEX : 2 | STA : 5 | CON : 3 | WIS : 3 | CHA : 2

Challenges: #1, Current - #2

My Triathlon Training Logs: #1, #2

your challenge is amazeballs! and I am SO excited about the enthusiasm you've got for your new old home.

(though I think dressing like a grown up is overrated. for reals.)

2014! #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 2015! #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | 2016! #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 | #23 | 2017! #24 | #25 | #26 | #27 | #28 | #29 | #30 | #31 | #32 | #33 | 2018! #34 | #35 | #36 | #37v1 | #37v2 | 2019! #38 | #39 | #40reference materials | academy battle log

mermaid ninja assassin. on a motorcycle. with swords. and knitting needles. and kittens.

LOL - I know.  I'm not going to run out and do suits again .... I think those days are long past.  But I'm looking for a look that's more sporty and stylish ..... and I'm shrinking out of clothes (yea!), so I need to shop anyway.

Oy!! 

When we moved, one major change I decided to make was that we'd stop eating out so much. We'd developed the "tradition" of eating breakfast at a local bakery and lunch at Culver's on Sundays. Wednesday was lunch at a little coffee shop. Friday was pizza. Saturday was too much lunch at a Chinese buffet. 

And in between, we often just grabbed meals at local take out places, especially while packing to move ... and living separately. 

So, I got WAY out of the habit of planning meals and making shopping lists and making dinner. 

Today - I bit the bullet and pulled out cookbooks to do the first meal plan in months!! It was surprisingly difficult, but I'm going to keep at it. Ultimately, and ironically, the obstacle here is ME and inertia.  And our odd living arrangement (apartment in the Twin Cities .... house in the Twin Ports).  And Nerd Fitness Camp coming up.  I was stressing about making a perfect menu and gave up.  We always have the great deli at the whole foods co-op to cover nights when plans go out the window.

a98fa9ea1b4e7dd45e4f0b3fbb95aebd.jpg

• Like 7

Some sort of Jedi .....

We are better than we know, if we can be made to see it, [then] for the rest of our lives, we'll be unwilling to settle for less.  

Past Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35. 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43

LOL - and I found you too, DR!  Sounds like we're both in the same plane of existence this time.  

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

I look forward to seeing some of your meals from the plan you put together - I'm sure you'll do great. We usually tend to get in our own way, don't we? Sigh. ^.^

I'll be posting meals from my plan as well. :)

Wow, I wish I was going to CNF! I definitely plan to go next year. You will have a blast!

• Like 1

Totally subbing this awesomeness.  Love the new look Avatar and the new attitude.  Both look great!  

Thanks!!  Where is YOUR thread, O Dragon???  

Today was not quite so good on food choices.  Not awful, but I ate white bread and pasta .... from the co-op but still, it's not what I'm aiming for.  But I picked up some spinach and strawberries for healthy smoothies.  And ... I made it to the gym with the time saved by not cooking supper from scratch.

I tried out a different location of Anytime Fitness - MUCH better place with adequate parking and fewer sketchy-looking characters hanging around the entrance. (The first location I used is right by an alcohol recovery center.  Not bad as neighborhoods go, but some of the loiterers make me uncomfortable.)

So, I am getting settled in.  It takes more driving time for everything, which I have to remember when planning.  

I went to the gym twice this week - two strength training sessions and two runs.  

For my unofficial life quest (having a life), we went out to see Guardians of the Galaxy (again).  Plus, my audition.  And new/old church tomorrow.  And meeting neighbors.  

Ok, not a bad week.

definition-of-a-good-workout1.jpg?w=300&

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

hey there - I found you, my pirate princess you! can you pack that anti aging book for camp????

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Yeap.  I put it by my messenger bag.  Hopefully, I'll remember WHY on Wednesday.

Today, our dog appeared to have a seizure.  Since she shook it off, we're waiting to go to the vet tomorrow .... but I had one of those, "this CAN'T be happening now" moments.  And the shrubs in the backyard all got trimmed while I settled down.  Now, I exhausted and have to grade.  It's going to be pretty sparse on the feedback, I can tell ya.

• Like 1

Some sort of Jedi .....

Today, our dog appeared to have a seizure.  Since she shook it off, we're waiting to go to the vet tomorrow .... but I had one of those, "this CAN'T be happening now" moments.  And the shrubs in the backyard all got trimmed while I settled down.  Now, I exhausted and have to grade.  It's going to be pretty sparse on the feedback, I can tell ya.

Oh no! How is she doing now? My dog had a seizure about 2 months ago and even though it didn't last very long at all, it was absolutely horrifying to watch. I hope she's okay. Hugs to the little one. <3

• Like 2

I found you!!! I think your challenge sounds fabulous! I can't wait to see all your progress in the next few weeks!

• Like 1

Powered by Wine, Tattoos, Killer Workouts, Distance Running, Good Books, DemonBells, Hair Dye, Dr Who, My Little Ponies, Benedict Cumberbatch, Cards Against Humanity, Criminal Minds TV marathons, Body Piercings, Comics, Watermelon, Adamantium, and the Knowledge that I Should Be In Dauntless 

Kryptonite: TV Infomercials, 90's Boy Bands, Mac & Cheese, Anything with Tequila, Shiny Objects, Fitness Tracking Gadgets, Sarah McLachlan ASPCA commercials, Sour Patch Kids, Build-A-Bear Stores, Strawberry Twizzlers and Online Shopping

Ongoing Battle Log: My Quest for PRs and Endorphins

Our dog is on anti-seizure meds.  We won't know for sure what causes them (or confirm that she is having seizures) without tests down in the Twin Cities.  And frankly, we're not putting her through that.  She's such a sweet dog that she has been calling for help as they came on and then just wants to be reassured while it's happening.  Crossing fingers that the meds work.

And me ... I got my braces OFF!!  Feels weird but nice.  Now, I can eat jerky for snacks again!!!  It's the little things ......

• Like 6

Some sort of Jedi .....

Last challenge, I got a wake up call and realized that I'd become very passive.  I was always waiting to be noticed and asked to take on roles and activities that I wanted.  That shit is DONE.  

I know EXACTLY how you feel on this one. That realization is what brought me to NF. Can't wait to see how you rock this challenge. Best of luck!

-TT

• Like 2

Lvl 1 Rebel

“When we love, we always strive to become better than we are.

When we strive to become better than we are, everything around us becomes better too.† 

- Paulo Coelho

Our dog is on anti-seizure meds.  We won't know for sure what causes them (or confirm that she is having seizures) without tests down in the Twin Cities.  And frankly, we're not putting her through that.  She's such a sweet dog that she has been calling for help as they came on and then just wants to be reassured while it's happening.  Crossing fingers that the meds work.

Aww fingers crossed for your sweetie. ((()))

And me ... I got my braces OFF!!  Feels weird but nice.  Now, I can eat jerky for snacks again!!!  It's the little things ......

Best. Feeling. Ever. 

I couldn't stop licking my teeth after I got mine off. So smooth!

Congrats to you! :panda:

• Like 1

I know I'm smiling much more!!  

• Like 3

Some sort of Jedi .....

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines