Bambamty: Making alll kindz of gains.

bambamty

Hi guys! Good to be back after missing two challenges over the summer due to just being too busy! So i've done around 6 months of starting strength, and just finished my first 6 week cycle of Texas methods and loving the strength gains.

Main quest: Complete 6 weeks of Texas methods at 3 sessions per week, i'll post my workout routine for this at the bottom! [+6str] 

These 6 points will be broken down one point at a time by breaking my current PR's for my lifts by 4 weeks worth of lifting? So for example that'd be a 20kg improvement on squats and deadlifts for a set of five etc! 

Side Quest: To clean up my nutrition, i've been working with food all summer so my nutrition hasn't been spot on, so i intend to clean this up a bit!  [+3 con]

Target calories for the day: 3000

Protein: 180g

Fat: 110g

Carbs: 350g

This isn't my final Macro target just yet, but it's a guideline that i'll tweak on Sunday on my day off! With this side quest i would also like to lose around 1kg in bodyweight to bring me within 1kg of competition weight if i decide to compete in powerlifting this academic year! 

Side quest two: Go for Three swims/six bike rides during this challenge. [+3Sta, +1 Dex]. Nothing crazy but as part of my Uni gym i get access to the swimming pool for free, and since taking lessons in the summer to re-learn to swim i need to get practising my technique. Not looking forward to do anything crazy to interfere with my lifting, just something to keep my CV system nice and healthy! 

No life quest for this challenge as i'm only just back at uni next week, but may add one on later on in the challenge! 

Current stats: 

Body Weight: 85kg

5RM Squats: 135kg

5RM Deadlifts: 150kg

3RM bench: 77.5Kg

3RM OH press: 50kg

working weight power clean (5 sets of three): 52.5kg

Goal Stats: 

Body weight: 84kg +1 Str

5RM Squats: 155kg +1Str

5RM Deadlifts: 170kg +1 Str

3RM Bench: 82.5kg + 1 Str

3RM OH Press: 57.5kg +1 Str

Workout plan: 

Monday:

Squat volume

Push movement volume (Bench/press)

Power cleans

Dips (assistance work)

Some tricep isolation

Weds: 

Squat recovery

Alternate push movement

Maybe some assistance work

Friday: 

Squat intensity

Push intensity

Deadlift intensity. 

On volume day, and intensity day i will likely take my camera to the gym to film max effort lifts to ensure i'm keeping up good form, may post vids of PR's as im going in the thread. Thanks for reading guys, looking forward to getting back into the rebellion, will make sure to follow as many warriors as possible! 

Level five Orc Assassin/warrior hybrid

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

Weight Loss story Current Challenge.

Previous challenges: #1//#2//#3 //#4//#5

Hey guys, thinking of buying a foam roller to aid recovery etc. but have a few questions if anyone can help?

1) When to do mobility excercises, mainly thoracic spine, ankles. Before or after a workout, or at home?

2) When is the best time to foam roll? Before or after a workout? Or in the evenings at home?

Or would it be best to say, do mobility excercises for what im working that day, and some foam rolling pre workout, then foam roll post workout muscles used? Then further roll at home to aid recovery? Any help would be amazing!

Str: 12 || Dexterity: 6 || Stamina: 5 || Constituion: 7.5 || Wis: 10 || Charisma: 6.5

Squat 135kg (1*5) || Deadlift 150kg (1*5) || Bench press 77.5kg (1*3) || || OH press 52.5kg (1*3).

Another pre challenge question, this time regarding deadlifts! Sometimes i have a problem getting dead-lifts off the ground on my working sets, where the week before i achieved 5 reps at 5 kg less. So i'm thinking of adding in some light deficit deadlifts at an explosive pace, around the 100kg mark (60Kg weights 40kg chains). What day would this best be done on? After regular deadlifts on friday? Or as an assistance exercise on another day? Thanks guys! 

EDIT: Sorry for spamming guys! 

Would it be beneficial to swap the power cleans in my routine for deficit deadlifts to help with strength off the floor? Both envolve pulling from the floor so the swap shouldn't hinder any recovery? I could always add a few sets of assistance work if i feel like some muscles are lagging? 

Again, thanks a lot guys for reading!!

When I was asking about programming snatches, almost everyone suggested doing them before my main lifts of the day if that helps.

I'm personally doing deficit deads after my regular deadlifts.

Subbed for the awesome

Cheers for the responses guys! I'm currently packing up all my things to move back to uni for the academic term, but i'll check out everyones challenges the moment i have time! Looking forward to getting back to the Uni gym thats near me, 4 power racks (super awesome ones, i'll try get some pics) and around 10 Eleiko bars, might baptise them by curling in the squat rack with an Eleiko bar! haha! Will post how it goes tomorrow, Good luck to all my fellow warriors and members of the rebellion! 

• Like 2

I loved my uni gym, even if it was a bit packed. Have fun!

I'm quite lucky, my uni has two campuses about half a mile from one another (four if you include a research one, and one for vets etc) and the main in campus gym i suspect will get VERY busy with freshers, where as this one i hope ' get as bad as it isnt as big, and less machines (but who needs them)! Might try and go for a swim next tuesday or so too! 

• Like 1

Had a mixed workout today for my 3rd workout of week one, managed 140kg for 1*5 on squats, and 82.5KG for a single on the bench (approaching bodyweight woo!) But my dead-lifts was terrible! I got 2 reps out at 155kg, but the second felt REALLY slow, only two weeks ago managed 150kg for a clean set of 5! Hoping last weeks was due to having my volume day on weds, and i moved to my uni house today, so a little tired and spent a lot of time in the car! Decided im going to up my calories by 200 calories a day on rest days, so instead of 3000 on rest, and 3200 on working days, just a straight up 3200. This calorie level seems to maintain my body mass whilst still making good strength gains. Think i may go to the gym tomorrow morning after a good nights sleep, and just dedicate it to deadlifts as in TM i can have an accessory day on Saturdays. So i think if i just do deadlift work, my total work shouldn't impede recovery for monday of next week! Sorry about the long update haha! Good luck to my fellow warriors and warriorettes! 

Boom, 155kg for four reps! definitely think these past two weeks have been due to external influences rather than the program itself! Going to count todays deadlifts towards yesterdays workout, re attempt next week for a 3rd time for the big 5 reps!!

Went for a little swim today, nothing great but just practising again! I used to be good as a child but stopped for years so completely forgotten how to do it (well i could, but i was os poor i panicked and just stood up!) so i took a course of 6 lessons of spring and just getting back into it! Just building up my confidence! 

• Like 1

Hey guys, thinking of buying a foam roller to aid recovery etc. but have a few questions if anyone can help?

1) When to do mobility excercises, mainly thoracic spine, ankles. Before or after a workout, or at home?

2) When is the best time to foam roll? Before or after a workout? Or in the evenings at home?

Or would it be best to say, do mobility excercises for what im working that day, and some foam rolling pre workout, then foam roll post workout muscles used? Then further roll at home to aid recovery? Any help would be amazing!

Hey, I was browsing through the Warrior forum and saw that no one had chimed in about mobility. I'm a novice lifter myself, so I'm still experimenting with the timing of my mobility work. What's worked best for me so far is doing mobility work (mostly static stretching, yoga, or mobility WOD exercises) on my rest days (esp. the afternoon/evening before lifting). If I HAVE to do a lot of mobility work right before my workout because I'm very stiff, it's often because I've neglected the work on my rest days. Foam rolling has helped me with post-workout stiffness and soreness--I often do it several hours after lifting or the morning after. Occasionally I'll also do it shortly before lifting as part of my warm-up, and I know some people use it right after a workout. Lax balls also work very well for SMR (self myofascial release) and I prefer them to a foam roller when it comes to working on the muscles in my upper back/shoulders. After lifting I also always spend 15-20 minutes doing static stretches while my muscles are warm. You might find that a different routine works better for you, but I hope that helps! Good luck at uni as well--I'm starting my classes soon, too.

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

Went for a little swim today, nothing great but just practising again! I used to be good as a child but stopped for years so completely forgotten how to do it (well i could, but i was os poor i panicked and just stood up!) so i took a course of 6 lessons of spring and just getting back into it! Just building up my confidence! 

That sounds relaxing. It's been particularly hot in California. On top of that, I swam in high school and it really is a great workout.

Level 2. Saiyan Warrior - Training with the Adventurers

STR: 4 | DEX: 2 | STA: 2 | CON: 4 | WIS: 1 | CHA: 1

Powering Up Phase 1 - Shedding the Fat

Starting Weight: 250lbs | Current Weight: 215lbs | Goal Weight: 200lbs

Hey, I was browsing through the Warrior forum and saw that no one had chimed in about mobility. I'm a novice lifter myself, so I'm still experimenting with the timing of my mobility work. What's worked best for me so far is doing mobility work (mostly static stretching, yoga, or mobility WOD exercises) on my rest days (esp. the afternoon/evening before lifting). If I HAVE to do a lot of mobility work right before my workout because I'm very stiff, it's often because I've neglected the work on my rest days. Foam rolling has helped me with post-workout stiffness and soreness--I often do it several hours after lifting or the morning after. Occasionally I'll also do it shortly before lifting as part of my warm-up, and I know some people use it right after a workout. Lax balls also work very well for SMR (self myofascial release) and I prefer them to a foam roller when it comes to working on the muscles in my upper back/shoulders. After lifting I also always spend 15-20 minutes doing static stretches while my muscles are warm. You might find that a different routine works better for you, but I hope that helps! Good luck at uni as well--I'm starting my classes soon, too.

I know right! I have to get my hips opened up before i squat! makes such a difference! And since foam rolling my mid back my suats feel better! What you studying may i ask? 

• Like 1

That sounds relaxing. It's been particularly hot in California. On top of that, I swam in high school and it really is a great workout.

I wouldnt describe it as a work out tbh, i took lessons in the spring so im alot better than when i was before, but im just trying to glue the pieces back together! The uk has been very muggy this past week! :(

I know right! I have to get my hips opened up before i squat! makes such a difference! And since foam rolling my mid back my suats feel better! What you studying may i ask? 

Same here--no mobility work = no squats (or very crummy squats). I'm studying neuroinformatics (using computing science to analyze data from neuroscience). What about you?

-:- THE LIONESS -:-

Challenge 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.7, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 

Same here--no mobility work = no squats (or very crummy squats). I'm studying neuroinformatics (using computing science to analyze data from neuroscience). What about you?

Physics for me, so going to the gym is a big relief from sat with my head in the books haha! 

Quick question to everyone, what are your thoughts on low bar squats with oly shoes? Alot of people say nay by referring to the big world record holders using chucks, but these seem to be equipped? I recall seeing a pie chart showing at the last IPF UK nationals around 75% of the raw lifters squatted in heeled shoes, so 75% of people can't be wrong? What are your thoughts and opinions on them for raw squatting lb style? P.s, i'll probably get the power perfect 2.0's as i can get a good deal from a UK stockist! (they're in the middle of the powerlifts and the adipowers) as my budget can't stretch to romaleo/adipower territory! Thanks in advance!!

I can't speak to weightlifting shoes. I almost bought them, but sizing them by guessing online was not working out. Before my injury, I could 1RM 385lb low bar using chucks, so they certainly can get the job done.

I can't speak to weightlifting shoes. I almost bought them, but sizing them by guessing online was not working out. Before my injury, I could 1RM 385lb low bar using chucks, so they certainly can get the job done.

Haha thanks for the reply! I'd love to get some, and i've seen a fair share of raw IPF lifters use them on youtube, might just bite the bullet and do it! If i don't like them for low bar i can always use them when i cycle in some high bar training i guess! 

I was gonna post my thoughts, but realized I'd only be regurgitating stuff I read here: http://www.powerliftingtowin.com/powerlifting-shoes/

The take home is that oly shoes might be a good choice if you lack ankle mobility -- I think, I can't remember when I last read the article. Either way it is a good article about lifting shoe choices for powerlifting.

And I've only ever squatted in either my indoor soccer shoes, or my minimalist running shoes. I prefer the former, and both are nothing like an oly shoe.

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

Well i went to the gym yesterday and it sucked. A different gym to the one ive been going to for the past two weeks (two campuses at uni) but that shouldnt make a difference to my workouts! I warmed up to my squats, including mobility work all going well so far. Un racked my 145 kg, so only 5 kg more than last week, walked it out as i normally do. And it felt so heavy! I just knew if i attempted a rep it just want coming back up. So i have a 5 minute break, go for my first rep and it just won't come up! Oh press 1rm i managed to get up, and deadlifts again i missed! 3rd attempt at 155kg and the worst attempt yet! 2 weeks ago i got 2 reps, last week i got a solid four, yet yesterday the weight was just STAPLED to the floor on the first rep! 

Not sure what to do here, i feel like i'm recovering plenty as i'm only working out 3 days per week, and going for TINY swims on the assistance days suggested, but something must be going on! Should i take a de-load week (maybe 3/4 of the weight suggested) then back to normal the week after? Or is it time for a new program? :( I feel like 6 weeks isn't really long enough to run a serious program? Thanks! 

I also posted this in my workout program thread, just to get as many opinions as possible! Also, good luck to ALL my fellow warriors! 

Hmm... that's tough. Before my injury, I was starting to plateau and was about to do a 10% deload as prescribed by StrongLifts.

I'm on a different program now - a combination of upper body and PT - but I intend to return to deloaded StrongLifts when I'm ready for heavy leg work.

I've performed a 10% deload on bench press before and I did push through the plateau.

Hey guys! hope all is going well! I've decided to switch programs as i'm signing up for a powerlifting meet in December, and need a program more tailored for hitting big singles come meet day! Good luck to my fellow warriors! Week 3 is going well so far! 

• Like 2

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines