Major Bloodnok: Hunting the Extinction Bursts

Maj. Bloodnok

vectorx.jpg

This works too! :-)

It's been a weird few days; very busy at work, a bit emotionally fraught at home.  A three-day weekend right at the end of a pay period didn't help much.  Diet's on track; I've learned that commercial sausage is not an ideal food for Slow Carb, though unsweetened chocolate is.  True to form, Mexican food is very adaptable to Slow Carb, and mole colorado is an ideal sauce for just about everything. I tipped the scales at 216 this morning, and it's only Thursday.  I've got two more days until my cheat day.  Then I shall make like Beldar Conehead.

600234995_tp.jpg

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

OK, kettlebells and I officially do not get along.  I've been trying heavy kettlebell swings as per Tim Ferris, and they kill my back.  Not surprisingly, they mimic the range of motion used in cable pulls.  Back to the deadlifts as soon as my back stops arguing with me. 

It strikes me that I'm blowing a lot of my stated goals for this challenge.  I'm achieving results, yes, but a lot of the goals I set for myself were really untenable. All the stuff with myfitnesspal is really a pain if you cook a lot, the way I do.  I don't update every day, I don't work out as much as I said I would.  I've learned a lot and I've achieved a lot during this challenge, but I'm running true to form: change goals as new information comes in, and let yourself slide if achieving a goal is inconvenient.

• Like 1

"If you get into trouble, you can always eat something, blow something up, or throw penguins." - Jim Henson

It strikes me that I have not done a post-mortem on this challenge. Gotta get my point spread in, after all.

The goals I set turned out to be untenable.  Midway in I changed my diet significantly based on new information. I stopped working out every day, partly because it was contributing to my weightloss problems, and partly because I came very close to tweaking my back again. Getting sick didn’t help much either.

On the other hand, I’ve managed to lose about 20 lbs during the challenge.  I can do full, no-fooling deadlifts and squat past parallel. Since I’m not working out like a fiend all the time, I’m doing better at getting good rest.  The ab and core work is still lacking, but it’ll come with time.

All told, I’m giving myself 3 points for constitution and charisma, 3 points to dexterity, and 3 to wisdom.  I didn’t do a lot of what I said I would do, especially on the accountability front.  I did get, and continue to get, good results from the changes I made.

I'm sitting out the current challenge, partly because of family issues and partly because I torqued my neck when the challenge started.  (I need new pillows.)  We'll see what comes with the next one.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines