• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Dizz

Dizz - Juggler, Runner Extraordinaire!

I live in the desert and it's been super hot.  Right now, it's over 100 degrees everyday, but cooling off finally. The heat really got to me this summer just as I was starting to get comfortable running long distances.  It made me feel defeated that I couldn't run my normal 2.5 miles and dropped down to half that.  I had to resort to a DREADMILL since it never cooled down enough for a run.  I got a hold of a few cool days... like 70F after a rain and I just made great distance and time.  There is HOPE!

giphy.gif

I am also a juggler. I am going to Portland for a major juggling festivals and meet up with some friends. I plan on learning a new routine to show off what I got to my friends.  I just need to clean up my tricks and put them in a sequence that makes sense.  I toss 3 clubs and mostly contact juggle. I can do this with one ball, need to work on the second.

giphy.gif

Goal:

CON: Work my way back to presummer distance: 2.5 miles 2-3 times a week. Current pace 15:30. I want to improve this by 30 seconds.  Bonus points for more.

DEX: Build a routine and film it.

STR: 1 upper body workout a week. I keep crapping out on this one.

I work 11-14 hour days, 3 days a week.  A work day is a workout day. I totally count it, I'm mostly on my feet and always get DOMS the next day.

Weight: 211 lbs  

Waist:   34 inches

Hip: 47 in

Arm: 14 in

Thigh 25 in

Clothes are getting really loose.  I am already starting to shop for the next size down.  When I started NF, I was a size 16-18. Now I'm edging into 14-16.

I have considered joggling! I started to work on it, but haven't progressed past a few steps while walking. The thing is, I am guilty of trying to learn too many tricks at once. I am concentrating on club juggling and contact for the moment. Not enough time to focus on much else. It's one of my main quests though. I have friends that hold Guinness world records for it, I think it's awesome!

I ran my second 5K last night. It was a last minute decision and decided to go for it. I had a lot of fun. I am mad at the company though, no water stations anywhere along the route. When it is 100 degrees, it's just not safe. Good thing I had my own or I would have left the route to find a water fountain. They said they were trying to keep litter down. They had plenty of volunteers to take care of that.... besides, they make a huge profit at these things!

I did really well. I ran the first 2 miles and run/walked the last mile.

5490d8c0478d8e8459be1a1bee6da05c.jpg

On the one hand, I can see the rationale for not having a water station for a 5K... but on the other, why not have one anyway (while not all runners need water for a 5K run there are still people who might because everyone is different etc.)??? Especially in 100 degree heat!! "Trying to keep litter down" isn't a great excuse -- like you said, that's why there are volunteers, and it's one of the things you have to plan for when you plan a race, etc. Glad you had your water bottle, though! Looks like you had fun. :)

• Like 1

Today, I run/walked 2 miles today. I waited to long to start, so it was 90F.  Still maintained a good pace though. It was along the river park, out and back.... the plan was to run until I got too hot and turned around.  I had a strange drive to get out there and run, despite the temp.  I HAD to pound the pavement.   Dreadmill wasn't good enough.

I went juggling this afternoon.  Showed a friend how to do a trick and then worked on my own.  Just working on consistency for now. 

So... I woke up this morning and the ground was wet! I got out the door at 80F and it was wonderful! I ran 2.4 miles with light sprinkles. I had Zombie Chases on and successfully evaded them for 3 sprints. My pace averaged the same, but my tracking app kicked in during a sprint and I was doing a 10 minute mile! Wahoo! I averaged my normal pace, but it's good to get some sprints mixed in.

I was a total zombie myself the rest of the day... no energy, brain fog, etc. Probably still worn out from a 13 hour shift yesterday. What's cool is my muscles feel good after a run, not much soreness or DOMs anymore. Just a little tension to remind me that I've used my legs. Right now, it's general fatigue/windedness that makes me turn around mid-run rather than muscles.

This is my pre-summer distance. So I've already mostly met my goal as long as I keep it up. I'm going to progressively increase distance/speed as I can tolerate. The cool weather right now is a fluke, it will be back to 100F in a couple of days after the hurricane blows over.

Obligatory nature pic from the run:

31f5383b19af5aedbe4ac75a28610a1a.jpg

Aren't zombie chases the best? :)

And enjoy the cool weather while you can! How much longer of the 100F weather will you endure before things get less deserty?? (Temperature wise, not humidity wise, ofc!)

The super heat should last until October, then it will only be in the 90s everyday.  That's doable.  I forgot to talk about my main quests...

Lose 25 lbs to goal weight 185.  That was what I weighed before nursing school. Once I hit that, I'm just going to continue good habits until my weight stabilizes.... which I think is actually 170 lbs. I graduated high school at 165 and was pretty thin..  I celebrate every pound I lose, but I don't put pressure on the rate I lose it.  Quickest way to set myself up for failure.  The plan is to set up good habits and the weight will follow.

Joggling.  As said before, that is something I want to learn someday. I'm still figuring out how to run, I'm still a beginner. Only been off the couch since February.  Every run is a struggle, a fight not to slow down or give up.  It's fun, but a huge effort... which it should be, i suppose.

Travel... a lot!  I'm going to Portland to a juggling festival at the end of the month.  I have always had the traveling bug and now have the means to do it.  I have to pay down a considerable debt before any major trips can happen.

Generally, be fit enough do what I want. I am tired of being held back by lack of fitness. I love to hike, I want to go further. I want to try acro-yoga or aerial silks. I want to live a long time and be healthy while I do it.  I'm 39, both my parents had heart attacks at a young age. I'm determined to keep that from happening to me.

I checked the conditions and the road was dry. I did the hike tonight. 4+ miles over hills at a 18m pace. Glad I did it. It was a beautiful night. Saw 2 snakes, scorpions and lots of stars.

Now I feel like ...

H5gzhjn.gif

Working! Everyday except for Sunday. Serious doms, got a pedicure with massage. It helped.

Been working Mon, tues, Wed.. 40 hours in these 3 days. Tomorrow I start my vacation

Having tons off fun and taking 4 workshops today. World class jugglers at this thing, but it is welcome to all levels. Worn out and happy.

There was a public show that was really funny and inspiring.

b18d4a38d80efb423bb46c9379fdb464.jpg

• Like 1

It was a lot of fun. I got juggled out early on the second day.  Did 2 workshops (helping to teach one) back to back.  I ended up going to dinner with a half dozen friends that were there. There was a public show after that.  I ended up juggling until midnight after the show.

Yesterday, I flew home and blerched the rest of the day. Post-fest blues.  

I made up for it. Went for a 2 mile run, but felt sluggish the whole way.  I ended up evading 2 zombie packs though.  I'm going to disappear for a few days... I have three 12 hour shifts in a row after today.  ACK!!!

My days weren't too bad, just busy.  After work yesterday, I headed to a coffee shop downtown for a show, even juggled a bit.

Plans for today... rest day after being sore from work.  Going to lunch with my friend from out of town and catching Shakespeare in the park tonight. Woohoo! Probably juggle while waiting for it to start. Meeting friends and my son there.