Help me Skywalker, you're my only hope

Skywalker

Background: I took last challenge off due to a lack of motivation but I did use some of this time to start a Daily Battle Log (well a kinda regular Habit Log).  I will be keeping this up as a motivation to do the little easy things without them forming part of my actual challenge.  I was sick of always feeling like I was having a back to basics element in my challenges.

The motivation: I had a big adventure this time last year and now I feel that I have lost all the extra fitness and weight loss gained while preparing for this.  I have another big adventure at the end of the year so I should have all the motivation I need.  What I need though is to have my own internal motivation and not rely on booking a big adventure and then trying not to embarrass myself or feel let down by my lack of preparation.

The Theme:  Self-reliance - I need to work on internal motivation and have the self-worth to guide my actions.  I need to focus on mindfulness to keep caring about my goals and not give myself permission to eat crap and sit around doing nothing.

THE MAIN QUEST:  To work a number of Great Walks - the first being Milford Track in New Zealand.

I have actually booked this now and I'm working on an even more challenging end to the trip (details to follow) so I am committed.

Goal One:  Mindful Eating

Self-reliance - plan my food - this makes me responsible for the food I am putting in my mouth

Mindfulness - Log food on MFP (StormSkywalker)

Goal Two:  Self motivated fitness sessions

My twice a week PT session has just finished up so I no longer have the peer pressure training to fall back on.  I have plenty of opportunity to exercise with a gym at work, a bike and two feet so I am taking control of my own fitness.

Participate in some fitness goal each day

Goal Three:  Personal Reflection

Take charge of what I can control and don't stress about what I can't. (I know there is a good quote for this but you get what I'm saying).  I have let stress hold the upper hand this year so I need to use my Self-reliance and mindfulness to take back that power.

One tool I have successfully used before is to create a to do list - because it is often something sitting on this list that I could deal with but haven't causing issues with stress.  So I will create a to do list and a what stresses me out list and then deal with any of them that are within my control.

Still a bit vague and not overly SMART so it might get a tweak.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Progress woot: Skywalker's success

Character Profile:  Skywalker

Blog:  Just Get Moving

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

il_fullxfull.584686966_467a.jpg

Oh, not quite the quote you were thinking of? :P

While I agree that you might want to tweak a bit to get more specific, I like where you're headed with this. Probably largely because I'm headed in the same direction.

Let's do this. We deserve it.

• Like 1

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Goal one update: I did a shop yesterday so I have lunch organised and cottage pie - brisket - chicken satay planned for dinner.

MFP entered and I realise why I should do it.

Mindfulness around snacking needs to be by mindfulness focus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like 1

Skywalker

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it!

Logged food in for today and backed up the last few days.

I've had two 5,000 step days - I'd love to stretch these out to 7,000 and some one gym and one yoga session so not to bad with the exercise motivation.

I have been contemplating my head space and I am asking myself an interesting question (from Jillian michaels podcast)

What is being overweight affording me?

It is an interesting thing to hold in your mind and contemplate.

Skywalker

I had a go at the to do list. In the past when I have done this I have found that thing that I'm procrastinating about that is causing anxiety or stress,

The only thing like that is that I have only booked half of my holiday at the end of the year and I'm somewhere between indecisive about the activities I want to squeeze in and anxious about biting off more than I can chew.

Thus is one of the things I'm thinking that I want to do adventurous things and will plan them but am I self sabotaging because I can't really see myself doing them and therefore use my weight ad an excuse for not being awesome?

I'm sure that sounds strange - I'm trying to reflective.

Skywalker

Plan rest days in your trip. Plan lots of awesome but sometimes it's just nice to sit around and take in the scenery. Arthur's Pass and Kaikoura were amazing for that. Then you can't use the weight as an excuse because to have time to recover and be awesome again tomorrow!

Great that you are thinking about it though.

Are you taking anytime off this week or next?

Aussie Bush Ranger - Training with the Monks

'I'll fight but not surrender', cried the wild colonial... GRRL!

Project 365 - Becoming BatGirl

Current Challenge

I'm working this week - I have ITIL training/exam :( then next week off.

At this stage planning a short bike camping trip and thinking of doing the seven park walk the following Sunday (anti cancer council fundraiser - they seem to be going overboard with events, but I'm a real sucker for a planned walk/bike ride/fun run)

I'm in a real positive frame of mind at the moment so I need to capitalise on this :D

Skywalker

Week one wrap up:

Food - logging food is helping with the mindfulness. It's taken all week for me not to go substantially over my calories - but that's the mindfulness of tracking.

Food planning has gone ok - with my three meals planned plus leftovers covering the whole week.

This week we have a pork shoulder to slow roast Jamie style that should do three meals (it's huge) plus a cottage pie from the freezer.

I am stepping up the planning by adding a two snack pots to my 'take a lunch' plan to cover breakfast and afternoon snack. I have eggs boiled, nut, date and prune containers and berry and cream. The aim is to put an end to work biscuit snacking (wish me luck.

Fitness

I haven't been overly self sufficient but have achieved an adequate level of activity. I am aiming for 10,000 steps and upped my daily count from around 5,000 to 7-8,000.

I just need to carve out the time to hit the 10,000 (and maybe walk a bit quicker).

Personal reflection

I have really tried to dig into why I seem to be sabotaging my efforts. I think I've been making some progress.

I tried creating the to do list - so I will work on getting some things off tmy procrastination hit list.

Skywalker

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I am sure that the tracking and the reflection will be of great help overcoming any underlying obstacles you have to reaching your goals.

I like the snack plan! Who wants biscuits when you can have berries and cream anyways?

Race: Wood Elf

Level 20

Class: Ranger

Strength: 45 | Dexterity: 15 | Stamina: 44 | Constitution: 29 | Wisdom: 35 | Charisma: 28

BATTLE LOG   EPIC QUEST  CHALLENGE

Food tracking is paying off in terms of better food choices.

Snack boxes are a hit! I have walnut/almond + date/prune which I make up and take each day to save there being a bag of nuts that it snack on all day.

I tried strawberry/blueberry and cream which is decadent and satisfying.

I'll admit there were a few unplanned things still in there but I'm feeling more mindful in relation to snacking.

Exercise - a win with a bike commute yesterday but nothing today and I doubt anything more than some elbow bending tomorrow!

• Like 1

Skywalker

Lunch gym today - increased my exercise for the week.

Pretty slack but next week should be a lot better.

Food logged but planning has fallen off.

Better get my head back in the game.

Skywalker

I've been on holidays for a week.

Not too bad, plenty of exercise, I ate out a bit too much, but generally made good food choices.

I've been trying to go sugar free with relative success.

New week, new resolve.

Skywalker

Food logged and to plan. Tomorrow lunch packed and planning done.

I did 30 min bike at gym plus some core work.

Feeling a lot more in control :)

+1 sugar free streak.

Skywalker

Good day - food not quite to plan. It that's how it goes.

Food logged today and planned for tomorrow.

No exercise today but either a bike ride tomorrow or a lunchtime weight session on the cards tomorrow.

I will be getting a second hand treadmill so I'm going to aim for 10,000 steps either on the wild or on the treaddy once I actually get it picked up.

I've got some work strategies to try and avoid end of year stress (or rather minimise and control it)

• Like 1

Skywalker

I'm feeling that food is well and truly reigned in.

I've lost 1 kg (which I had put on recently so doesn't feel like a real loss).

Exercise is OK, still doing something at least three times a week, but now the treadmill is placed in front of the spare tv it's a 10,000 step mini challenge :D

I am also feeling more in control of my own decisions (in such a vague way It's hard to put in a post)

Skywalker

Friday was a complete meltdown starting with too much cake and going down hill from there.

It's eleven weeks until I'm off to New Zealand to hike 50km ++ and bike tour 300km ++ so I need to focus.

I figure if you take out Christmas its 10 weeks so I need to ramp up intensity and get more organised.

The whole trip has been a bit of an organisation nightmare due to extreme financial restraints. Also it has seemed a little pie in the sky - full off wish list ideas which is fine until I'm at the practical end (the bike needs to get on a plane with panniers camping gear etc.)

I was going to upgrade my bike - well I was hoping that my sisters spare bike was going to be in melbourne before the trip, then when that didn't look like happening I thought of going to brisbane to collect it (and have a holiday) but the reality of $$ means I've decided to do the trip on my old(ish) heavier bike. :(

Making this decision has actually taken a load of so I'm kinda happy(ier) :)

I have booked up activities for weekends between now and Christmas - two bike touring trips to bed down the gear issue. A couple of hikes to stretch out the legs.

New week new start.

• Like 1

Skywalker

Not a bad 45km ride on Sunday. Today a lazy 6km on the spin bike + 15 min cardio workout.

Food planned and logged. Low vegie count :(

I've been really good at prepackaged 5 salads for lunch but this week I haven't done a proper shop.

Today sweet potato + avocado + tuna so not a bad lunch but missing some greens.

Tomorrow is freezer Dumplings for lunch.

• Like 1

Skywalker

The good and the bad.

I just spent the last two days getting cold and wet on my bike with full panniers along the undulating hills of the upper Yarra.

40km sat and 27km today - all of it clipped into those click clack pedals that I'm still convinced are for me. I will say that they would of helped get up some of those long rises.

Food is wavering between really good - and cake!

The bike camping proved to me that life would be a whole lot easier if I was 10km lighter. I'm going to try and keep that in the front of my mind.

On the hiking front, I haven't done a huge amount but last weekend dragged my dog on a 12 I'm walk around the city wilderness of the Yarra boathouses.

Skywalker

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines